inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was the aesthetic of each individual 90s years?

Written By: thisismelemon on 04/04/19 at 8:03 pm

Post pictures of what you think the aesthetic was of each of the 90s years. 

Subject: Re: What was the aesthetic of each individual 90s years?

Written By: thisismelemon on 04/08/19 at 4:45 pm

Nothing yet, do you guys understand the question i am asking?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/09/19 at 4:05 am

Nothing yet, do you guys understand the question i am asking?
Can you please explain more on this?

Written By: exodus08 on 04/09/19 at 1:51 pm

Can you please explain more on this?

I think he's trying to say find a song that fits each year like Ice Ice Baby or Can't touch this for 1990 and something that has to do with Y2K for 1999.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/09/19 at 2:09 pm

I think he's trying to say find a song that fits each year like Ice Ice Baby or Can't touch this for 1990 and something that has to do with Y2K for 1999.
I think he is asking to post pictures of individual years of the 1990s.

Written By: Dundee on 04/09/19 at 6:40 pm

Ask TLC for that

Early 90s/1992 =
92gHq1s6G-c

Mid 90s/1995 =
LlZydtG3xqI

Late 90/1999 =
FrLequ6dUdM

Pretty good huh?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/19 at 1:38 am

Ask TLC for that

Early 90s/1992 =
92gHq1s6G-c

Mid 90s/1995 =
LlZydtG3xqI

Late 90/1999 =
FrLequ6dUdM

Pretty good huh?
These are videos when the OP asks for pictures of the 1990s.

Post pictures of what you think the aesthetic was of each of the 90s years. 

Written By: thisismelemon on 04/10/19 at 3:52 am

Videos are fine too,  the TLC videos really show the different eras of the 90s, from New Jack Swing to Y2K era

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/19 at 4:35 am

Videos are fine too,  the TLC videos really show the different eras of the 90s, from New Jack Swing to Y2K era
O0

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 04/22/19 at 7:24 pm

I'd say for the Bush 41 era (1988-1992), it was all inspired by New Jack Swing fonts, and hip hop backgrounds with brick walls and graffiti, shown in shows like Fresh Prince of Bel Air. It still had some 80s elements like neon colors, but pastel was already more popular. Or, backgrounds were pure blank white, like music videos from Every little step. The majority was the Memphis graphic design from the Memphis group, where random colorful shapes were all over the place, or tessellation patterns.

The core 90s (1993-1997) went dark. Because of the peak of grunge in 1993, every poster started to look brownish orange in a dark way, as shown in the Smells Like Teen Spirit music video. Fonts looked deranged and crazy, or Times New Roman. Text color was bloody red, and in movie posters, faces looked determined or angry, and the background was pure darkness with the black color scheme.
However, in late 1996, bright colors and the Y2K aesthetic came in, but the dark posters were still around until 1998, and 1997 is still part of the core 90s, so I wouldn't count 1997 to the Y2K era.

The Y2K era (1998-2001) was when the sunshine comes, and colors splattered once again. However, this graphic design was already popular since late 1996 with Backstreet Boys albums, so I'd say this goes for autumn 1996 till spring 2001. Background colors finally look bright and pastel, in a chrome way due to the rise of personal computers entering the 3rd Millennium AD. Every text font looked chrome and shiny, with Italics being heavily used. The backgrounds looked very techy, with a huge holographic color palette, but silver and blue were mainly used as shown in A*Teens and NSync music videos, and 1998-2001 commercials. Oh, and No Scrubs, who could forget? Matrix and scripts were all over the place, you'd hear cool futuristic tech sounds in commercials and teen pop music videos, because of the green computer text flashing. The best part in my opinion  ;)

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/23/19 at 7:55 am

I'd say for the Bush 41 era (1988-1992), it was all inspired by New Jack Swing fonts, and hip hop backgrounds with brick walls and graffiti, shown in shows like Fresh Prince of Bel Air. It still had some 80s elements like neon colors, but pastel was already more popular. Or, backgrounds were pure blank white, like music videos from Every little step. The majority was the Memphis graphic design from the Memphis group, where random colorful shapes were all over the place, or tessellation patterns.

Those "blank white" videos were much pretty around throughout the '80s (actually beginning with M's Pop Muzik in late 1979), and I really don't see any after MC Hammer's U Can't Touch This just months after the decade ended in spring 1990. You had "Mickey", "Lucky Star", and "Tell It To My Heart" along the way.

1988 is still "classic '80s", even if it mostly just feels like an extension of 1986-87 and not the new wave era. Reagan was still president, Miami Vice and Family Ties was still on the air, there were no 16-bit gaming systems out yet outside of Japan, and even shows that would spend the majority of their runs in the '90s like Full House, Married... With Children, and A Different World still have that "old school '80s" look to them. And a Sony Discman commercial from 1986 has the same random colorful shapes and squiggles that you're talking about. It's when the graphic design changed from tessellation to more Afro-inspired that separates the late '80s from early '90s to me (compare HBO and MTV's promo graphics from late 1991 and 1992 from 1988 and you'll see the difference). I also associate a lot of commercials with rapidly flashing text on alternate colors around the time (more so the 1989-91 period, but there were a few instances in '88). You still had some undoubtedly '80s graphic styles like starfields and "wallpaper" text where the company's name would often appear diagonally numerous times persisting, at least until around 1991.

The core 90s (1993-1997) went dark. Because of the peak of grunge in 1993, every poster started to look brownish orange in a dark way, as shown in the Smells Like Teen Spirit music video. Fonts looked deranged and crazy, or Times New Roman. Text color was bloody red, and in movie posters, faces looked determined or angry, and the background was pure darkness with the black color scheme.
However, in late 1996, bright colors and the Y2K aesthetic came in, but the dark posters were still around until 1998, and 1997 is still part of the core 90s, so I wouldn't count 1997 to the Y2K era.

There was also some '70s nostalgia popping up around this time, and for a "grown up" audience, a lot of styles used in that decade made a bit of a comeback, though with modern updates like smaller text. But otherwise, this part of the '90s feels quite varied since there was a lot of microdemos being targeted, and it seemed like there was a real hodgepodge of styles around this time. The 1993 "Always Coca-Cola" and 1993-94 Frutopia ads feel very neo-psychedelic in design, while Sheryl Crow just seems "sunny" in a '90s way, being more laid back compared to the more "hectic" '80s feel. Eurodance and techno album and single covers also seem like a cross between the '80s and the Y2K era designs, with some unique '90s elements thrown in like the teal blue background on them. 

The Y2K era (1998-2001) was when the sunshine comes, and colors splattered once again. However, this graphic design was already popular since late 1996 with Backstreet Boys albums, so I'd say this goes for autumn 1996 till spring 2001. Background colors finally look bright and pastel, in a chrome way due to the rise of personal computers entering the 3rd Millennium AD. Every text font looked chrome and shiny, with Italics being heavily used. The backgrounds looked very techy, with a huge holographic color palette, but silver and blue were mainly used as shown in A*Teens and NSync music videos, and 1998-2001 commercials. Oh, and No Scrubs, who could forget? Matrix and scripts were all over the place, you'd hear cool futuristic tech sounds in commercials and teen pop music videos, because of the green computer text flashing. The best part in my opinion  ;)

Y2K also seemed to utilize more minimalist "coding" techniques (see the MTV bumpers of this era, often with just the first letter of an element). A lot of "stretching text" also was used a lot on video graphics, and of course, there was an explosion of new humanist san-serif typefaces that we take for granted nowadays, such as the Sesame Workshop logo from 2000.

Written By: BornIn86 on 04/27/19 at 11:08 pm

Hey! I did pretty much the exact post in one of my first threads! Don't take all the credit from my idea!

;)

Written By: humaeast on 05/04/19 at 4:01 pm

1990 was the year of Madonna
1991 was the year of Sonic
1992 was the year of Batman
1993 was the year of Sonic and Barney
1994 was the year of Animaniacs
1995 was the year of Batman again
1996 was the year of Space Jam
1997 was the year of Moloko
1998 was the year of Solid Snake
1999 was also the year of Pokémon

Written By: Retrolover on 06/29/19 at 7:47 am

1990 was the year of Madonna
1991 was the year of Sonic
1992 was the year of Batman
1993 was the year of Sonic and Barney
1994 was the year of Animaniacs
1995 was the year of Batman again
1996 was the year of Space Jam
1997 was the year of Moloko
1998 was the year of Pokémon
1999 was also the year of Pokémon

1991 was the year of then little-known Sonic?

1991 was the year of stuff like The Simpsons, the Ninja Turtles movies , Cross Colours jeans  , and Mariah Carey.

Check for new replies or respond here...