inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you consider someone born in 1997 a millennial (culturally) or gen z ?

Written By: Si_1997 on 07/17/19 at 6:04 pm

I was born in 1997 and although pew research center announced that we were gen z, that doesn’t quite feel right. Personally I remember 9/11 and the year 2000. However I don’t remember anything before the year 2000 as a child. I started elementary in 2002 when girl/boy bands were still relevant or on a hiatus. My favorite childhood years are 2002-2004. I realize that the only reason we aren’t millennials is because we weren’t in elementary yet school during 9/11, however we were in elementary school in 2002 when all of the changes from 9/11 began. I was in first grade when the 2003 iraq war began. IDK where that puts me but I definitely feel more in tuned with late millennials. It’s hard for me to relate to anyone born after 2000 as far as childhood culture goes but it isn’t hard for me to relate to someone born in 1993.

Subject: Re: Do you consider someone born in 1997 a millennial (culturally) or gen z ?

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 07/17/19 at 7:35 pm

I go by the 18-year theory;

1910-1927 = Greatest Generation
1928-1945 = Silent Generation
1946-1963 = Baby Boomers
1964-1981 = Generation X
1982-1999 = Millennials
2000-2017 = Plurals

That being said, I do think this is the wrong forum for you to ask that question, as threads like these are looked down upon and constantly get locked for the fact they have been causing too many unnecessary heated arguments in the past. You should ask this on Personality Cafe instead.

Subject: Re: Do you consider someone born in 1997 a millennial (culturally) or gen z ?

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/17/19 at 7:45 pm

Things we can't comprehend:
*Death
*The Universe
*Free Will
*Infinity
*1997-1999 borns finally accepting the fact that they're Gen Z

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/17/19 at 9:09 pm

I would just let 1997 borns chose whichever one they'd like to be labeled. It could probably be either or depending on factors unique to your upbringing.

However, I do consider people who were in middle school and elementary in the 2010s
(late 90s+) more on the Gen Z side, because I was graduating high school in the beginning of the decade.

Written By: rapplepop on 07/17/19 at 9:26 pm

I would just let 1997 borns chose whichever one they'd like to be labeled. It could probably be either or depending on factors unique to your upbringing.

I agree. If you grew up in a rural/poor area or a developing country a 1997er might have actually had a somewhat old fashioned childhood in a lot of ways.

If you're talking middle class people from Anglophone countries I would say Gen Z begins around 1995, but there's a lot of different ways to define a generation. I think people born between 1988 and 1999 share a lot of culture in common so a 97er would have quite a bit in common with later millennials.

Written By: Si_1997 on 07/18/19 at 12:08 am

*Death
*The Universe
*Free Will
*Infinity
*1997-1999 borns finally accepting the fact that they're Gen Z

I would like to know how and why ? Someone born in 1997 would remember 2000.

Written By: Si_1997 on 07/18/19 at 12:15 am

I agree. If you grew up in a rural/poor area or a developing country a 1997er might have actually had a somewhat old fashioned childhood in a lot of ways.

If you're talking middle class people from Anglophone countries I would say Gen Z begins around 1995, but there's a lot of different ways to define a generation. I think people born between 1988 and 1999 share a lot of culture in common so a 97er would have quite a bit in common with later millennials.

I grew up middle class, but with that being said we had dial up until I was 9 years old. My dad had a 1998 dell laptop until around 2004 as well. Not only that but my elementary/middle school had 2 pay phones located in the building. Collect calls were all I knew until I had a cell phone lol

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/18/19 at 2:24 am

You're a cusper, dear.  ;)

You may technically be Gen Z, but you don't strongly identify as such and you probably have traits of both Millennials and Gen Z'ers.

It happens with every generation. Look up Generation Jones (late Boomers) and the Oregon Trail Generation (late Gen X'ers).

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/18/19 at 9:06 am

Yeah, I would consider most 1997 borns to be cusps, with a slight majority possibly leaning Y.

There are certain stereotypes that are shared among most core Gen Y borns. They grew up mostly without online access for most of their childhood, or had that access limited due to still having dial-up. They primarily grew up with what are these days considered retro video game consoles like the NES, SNES, or original PlayStation during at least part of their childhoods, and moved over the PlayStation 2 they got older. The had a good portion of their youth before it became common for kids to have mobile phones, with most of them not owning a mobile phone until they were around 18. The social media era came mostly during their early adult years, with them mostly growing up before that became common.

So, how would 1997 compare. Most 1997 probably had online access during the majority of their childhood, but most of them probably had dial-up for a good bit of it too, so they can relate to Gen Y on that. Many 1997 borns would be old enough to have probably played games from the original PlayStation, at least at some point before they started Kindergarten. Some might have even played Super Nintendo. So, even though they had the PlayStation 2 as their primary childhood console, they could relate to Gen Y on that. Most 1997 borns probably did not have mobile phones for a good bit of their childhood, as for most of the '00s it hadn't become totally common yet for parents to buy those for their kids, but they did get their first mobile phone a good bit younger than most Gen Y kids did, so on that they can relate to both Gen Y and Gen Z. Most 1997 grew up with social media at an earlier age than Gen Y did, with most of them probably having access to it by age 10 or so, so on that they would relate more to Gen Z. 1997 borns also would have had quite a bit of Gen Y kid stuff like VCR's and CRT TV's around during a good bit of their childhood's too.

So, yeah, I would say that 1997 borns are cusps. They can't totally relate to the main Gen Y kids, but they also can't relate to those that are main Gen Z kids either, because main Gen Z kids didn't grow up with any of the more retro stuff that was still a big deal during the early '00s.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/18/19 at 10:32 am

1997 borns are Gen Zers.

Their childhood was in the 2000s. People born in the very late 90s don’t care much for 90s pop culture.

*Death

I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t want to live in this selfish world forever. Give me the hug-fest in Heaven any day over this. :)

Heaven is where we all belong. Heaven is home.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/18/19 at 10:51 am

1997 borns are Gen Zers.

Their childhood was in the 2000s. People born in the very late 90s don’t care much for 90s pop culture.

That's a huge generalization. There are many people born in the late '90s that care a lot about '90s pop culture (myself included).

Written By: Retrolover on 07/18/19 at 10:57 am

That's a huge generalization. There are many people born in the late '90s that care a lot about '90s pop culture (myself included).

Late 90s borns were not around or at infant age when shows like Rugrats and Pokémon debuted on TV. Programs like Dora the Explorer and live-action shows like Hannah Montana are more up their alley.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/18/19 at 11:47 am

Late 90s borns were not around or at infant age when shows like Rugrats and Pokémon debuted on TV. Programs like Dora the Explorer and live-action shows like Hannah Montana are more up their alley.

This statement really doesn't have much to do with any thing lol.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/18/19 at 12:13 pm

Gen Zers might like 90s pop culture, but it doesn’t define them. That’s where I was getting at with that statement.

Written By: Si_1997 on 07/18/19 at 12:27 pm

Millennial culture is usually seen as late 90’s and early 2000’s. If thats the case how is someone born in 1992 a millennial if they weren’t even born yet when Rugrats debuted on Nickelodeon? I had a Rugrats themed birthday in 2001 btw. Not only that but most late 90’s culture transferred into the early 2000’s. Hannah Montana didn’t come out until I was 9. I grew up with Catdog, Rugrats,Hey Arnold, Rocket Power, Ed ed and eddy, Spongebob, etc.

Written By: Si_1997 on 07/18/19 at 12:29 pm

Yeah I was in elementary up until 2007 but 2008-2010 was middle school for me and 2011-2014 was high school. 2011 was still like the late 2000’s from what I remember. Even Britney Spears was topping the charts in 2012.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/18/19 at 12:53 pm

Millennial culture is usually seen as late 90’s and early 2000’s. If thats the case how is someone born in 1992 a millennial if they weren’t even born yet when Rugrats debuted on Nickelodeon? I had a Rugrats themed birthday in 2001 btw. Not only that but most late 90’s culture transferred into the early 2000’s. Hannah Montana didn’t come out until I was 9. I grew up with Catdog, Rugrats,Hey Arnold, Rocket Power, Ed ed and eddy, Spongebob, etc.

I’m sorry, but your generation did not have the chance to really know everything about “Rugrats” like you did “Spongebob”.

Your Rugrats party supplies was either made in 1997, 1998, or 2000. The show was downhill in those years.

“Rugrats” is a Millennial cartoon from anyway you slice it.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/18/19 at 1:20 pm

I’m sorry, but your generation did not have the chance to really know everything about “Rugrats” like you did “Spongebob”.

Your Rugrats party supplies was either made in 1997, 1998, or 2000. The show was downhill in those years.

“Rugrats” is a Millennial cartoon from anyway you slice it.

Well, of course. Rugrats was on air for 13 years. Meanwhile, Spongebob has been on air for 20 years and counting.

However, it doesn't matter that the quality of Rugrats declined in the late '90s. It was still on air until 2004. Late '90s borns were able to watch new episodes of Rugrats and the reruns from the earlier seasons.

Written By: Si_1997 on 07/18/19 at 1:43 pm

Well, of course. Rugrats was on air for 13 years. Meanwhile, Spongebob has been on air for 20 years and counting.

However, it doesn't matter that the quality of Rugrats declined in the late '90s. It was still on air until 2004. Late '90s borns were able to watch new episodes of Rugrats and the reruns from the earlier seasons.

Neither did someone born in 1990 since they weren’t even toddlers when the show first aired. What does Rugrats have to do with a generation? The show ended when I was 7. Hell I went to go see Rugrats in Paris in the movie theaters back in 2000. I The rugrats movie on VHS as well as a few episodes on that iconic orange VHS too. My era of Rugrats was Rugrats in paris and Rugrats go wild. All of the post 1998/1999 Nickelodeon shows such as cat dog, sponge bob, ed ed and eddy was targeted towards my age demographic as well as those botn in the early-mid 90’s.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/18/19 at 1:48 pm

Rugrats is best remembered as  cartoon that Boomers, Xers, Xennials, and Millennials knew of (a 90s cartoon). We know ‘90s borns as part of the generation that enjoyed Spongebob, Harry Potter movies, and modern cell phones as opposed to everything else.

New episodes and repeats of Muppet Babies were on in the early 90s, but Muppet Babies isn’t the first cartoon that Millennials think of when someone starts discussing cartoons that Millennials had growing up.

Written By: Si_1997 on 07/18/19 at 1:49 pm

Yeah, I would consider most 1997 borns to be cusps, with a slight majority possibly leaning Y.

There are certain stereotypes that are shared among most core Gen Y borns. They grew up mostly without online access for most of their childhood, or had that access limited due to still having dial-up. They primarily grew up with what are these days considered retro video game consoles like the NES, SNES, or original PlayStation during at least part of their childhoods, and moved over the PlayStation 2 they got older. The had a good portion of their youth before it became common for kids to have mobile phones, with most of them not owning a mobile phone until they were around 18. The social media era came mostly during their early adult years, with them mostly growing up before that became common.

So, how would 1997 compare. Most 1997 probably had online access during the majority of their childhood, but most of them probably had dial-up for a good bit of it too, so they can relate to Gen Y on that. Many 1997 borns would be old enough to have probably played games from the original PlayStation, at least at some point before they started Kindergarten. Some might have even played Super Nintendo. So, even though they had the PlayStation 2 as their primary childhood console, they could relate to Gen Y on that. Most 1997 borns probably did not have mobile phones for a good bit of their childhood, as for most of the '00s it hadn't become totally common yet for parents to buy those for their kids, but they did get their first mobile phone a good bit younger than most Gen Y kids did, so on that they can relate to both Gen Y and Gen Z. Most 1997 grew up with social media at an earlier age than Gen Y did, with most of them probably having access to it by age 10 or so, so on that they would relate more to Gen Z. 1997 borns also would have had quite a bit of Gen Y kid stuff like VCR's and CRT TV's around during a good bit of their childhood's too.

So, yeah, I would say that 1997 borns are cusps. They can't totally relate to the main Gen Y kids, but they also can't relate to those that are main Gen Z kids either, because main Gen Z kids didn't grow up with any of the more retro stuff that was still a big deal during the early '00s.

Definitely relate ! We had dial up until I was 7 or 8. I still remember when cell phones had huge antennas attached to them circa 2000-2002 and my mom didn’t have one until 2003. I remember when Nsync was big with Bye Bye bye and when Backstreet boys came out with Shape of my heart around late 2000 early 2001. Those are some of my earliest memories of pop culture. I had am Izone camera, hit clips, poo-chi’s, etc as a child. Most of my childhood memories are early 00’s/mid 00’s rather than late since I was in middle school around that time

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 07/18/19 at 3:29 pm

1982-1983 = Y with major X influences
1984-1985 = Y with moderate X influences
1986-1987 = Y with minor X influences

1988-1993 = Core Millennials

1994-1995 = Y with minor Z influences
1996-1997 = Y with moderate Z influences
1998-1999 = Y with major Z influences

Written By: Retrolover on 07/18/19 at 3:37 pm

1982-1983 = Y with major X influences
1984-1985 = Y with moderate X influences
1986-1987 = Y with minor X influences

1988-1993 = Core Millennials

1994-1995 = Y with minor Z influences
1996-1997 = Y with moderate Z influences
1998-1999 = Y with major Z influences

1987 is Y with minor X influences?!  :o

‘87 is core Millennial. ‘86 borns were the last late XYers.

People born from 1997 to 1999 are Gen Zers. Their identities were formed in the 2000s.

Written By: mc98 on 07/18/19 at 4:00 pm

98'er here. I don't strongly identify with both Millennial and Z. That's why 1996-1999 borns are considered Cuspers.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 07/18/19 at 4:02 pm

1987 is Y with minor X influences?!  :o

‘87 is an XYer/Yer cusp. ‘86 borns were the last late XYers.

Those born in 1987 (the early-mid part of that year, at least) would've been the last to start high school before 9/11, as well as the last to graduate before MySpace was bought out by News Corp. Their teen years would've peaked in 2003, when pop-punk still sounded more "skater" than "emo", and when more internet users still had dial up over broadband. Also, if they went to a 7th-12th high school, they would've started high school in 1999, right before Y2K.
Someone born in 1988 on the other hand would've started high school after 9/11, or after Y2K if they went to a 7th-12th high school, their teen years would've peaked in 2004, when broadband adoption has surpassed dial up and when pop-punk was now sounding more "emo" than "skater" with albums such as "American Idiot", "The Silence in Black and White", and "Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge", and they would've still been in high school when MySpace was popular.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/18/19 at 4:11 pm

98'er here. I don't strongly identify with both Millennial and Z. That's why 1996-1999 borns are considered Cuspers.

Cuspers do not exist. I made a mistake earlier calling ‘87ers “cuspers”. Your childhood was still in the 2000s, not any part of the 90s.

Those born in 1987 (the early-mid part of that year, at least) would've been the last to start high school before 9/11, as well as the last to graduate before MySpace was bought out by News Corp. Their teen years would've peaked in 2003, when pop-punk still sounded more "skater" than "emo", and when more internet users still had dial up over broadband. Also, if they went to a 7th-12th high school, they would've started high school in 1999, right before Y2K.
Someone born in 1988 on the other hand would've started high school after 9/11, or after Y2K if they went to a 7th-12th high school, their teen years would've peaked in 2004, when broadband adoption has surpassed dial up and when pop-punk was now sounding more "emo" than "skater" with albums such as "American Idiot", "The Silence in Black and White", and "Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge", and they would've still been in high school when MySpace was popular.

‘86ers love watching shows from all eras of the 1980s and reading about them. ‘87ers do not. The furthest ‘87ers look back to is the early 90s. There is a thread about this on here: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=df856d65a1866f609fa5208e5198cf9b&topic=59931.0

‘86ers can remember 1989 whereas ‘87ers cannot. ‘87ers were still infants by the end of that year.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 07/18/19 at 4:36 pm

Cuspers do not exist. I made a mistake earlier calling ‘87ers “cuspers”. Your childhood was still in the 2000s, not any part of the 90s.

Childhood is defined in the dictionary as spanning from birth to adolescence.

‘86ers love watching shows from all eras of the 1980s and reading about them. ‘87ers do not. The furthest ‘87ers look back to is the early 90s. There is a thread about this on here: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=df856d65a1866f609fa5208e5198cf9b&topic=59931.0
This argument is a borderline "No True Scotsman" Fallacy.
You're making a general assumption about all the interests of people born within those two years and assuming it applies to everyone, or enough of them so that everyone else should be discarded. Also, you're using a thread from an underground website to back up your argument.

‘86ers can remember 1989 whereas ‘87ers cannot. ‘87ers were still infants by the end of that year.

Someone born in 1986 was only 3 years old in 1989. At that age, kids are too young to understand the concept of "years", most kids can't even count up to 100 at that age. They would've been too young to understand the concept of it being a new decade when 1990 came around.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/18/19 at 4:45 pm

I’m in agreement with you here.

However, any way you cut it, ‘86ers knew the complete 90s better than ‘87ers.

‘86ers may not have cared about the 1989 to 1990 ball drop at the time, but there are still markers in their memories to help them tell apart moments in the late 80s from those in the early 90s. There was very little “gray matter” between the 80s and 90s.

‘87ers were the first ever core Millennials. I don’t know why this original poster here (https://www.reddit.com/r/lewronggeneration/comments/9qo1hy/xennials_aka_first_millenials_are_the_best/) said ‘87ers were the last Xennials. I agree with Josef Gafa on LinkedIn (https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/generational-differences-modern-workplace-how-can-impact-josef-gafa/).

Written By: exodus08 on 07/18/19 at 4:55 pm

To end this! Those born between 1997-1999 aren't Millennials but Gen Zers. Gen Z likes 2000s pop culture, Millennials like 90s pop culture, Gen X like 80s pop culture, Xennials like 80s/90s pop culture.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 07/18/19 at 5:10 pm

To end this! Those born between 1997-1999 aren't Millennials but Gen Zers. Gen Z likes 2000s pop culture, Millennials like 90s pop culture, Gen X like 80s pop culture, Xennials like 80s/90s pop culture.

Now this is a clear example of a "No True Scotsman" Fallacy.
People born in 1997-1999 don't like '90s pop culture = No true Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge;
You're trying to purify a subjective variable and make it objective in order to determine who belongs in which generation.
Plenty of people born in 1997-1999 like '90s pop culture, and plenty of people born before 1997 like '00s pop culture. In fact, the '00s was the decade for those born in 1984-1991, give or take 1982-1983 or 1992-1993 (your decade is your teen/coming of age years, not your childhood), and those born in 1992-1996 spent most of their childhood in the '00s, in fact those born in 1995 and 1996 were only preschoolers when the '90s ended, they weren't the target audience for Britney Spears or the Backstreet Boys, they were the target audience for Barney and Sesame Street.
Your argument is abysmal.

Written By: Si_1997 on 07/18/19 at 6:02 pm

However, I do consider people who were in middle school and elementary in the 2010s
(late 90s+) more on the Gen Z side, because I was graduating high school in the beginning of the decade.

Yeah I was in elementary up until 2007 but 2008-2010 was middle school for me and 2011-2014 was high school. 2011 was still like the late 2000’s from what I remember. Even Britney Spears was topping the charts in 2012.

Written By: Zelek3 on 07/18/19 at 6:10 pm

This thread is gonna get locked. I'll just say, from what I've seen over the years, the generation arguments go in endless circles and are pretty subjective.

I mean now in memes on Facebook and Reddit, you've got people saying "98-03 born gang rise up" and saying how Hannah Montana, iCarly, and Minecraft are actually Millennial kid culture and "true Gen Z" kid culture is actually Jake Paul/Fortnite/Musically targeted at those born 2004/2005 onwards. This scenario probably makes a lot of older users here feel old since to them it's like babies arguing with babies, lol.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/18/19 at 6:16 pm

Kid culture era for Early Xers was in the 60s and 70s.

Kid culture for Late Xers was from the 70s to the 80s.

Kid culture for XYers was released in the 80s and carried on into the 90s.

The kid culture that Yers remember best was introduced in 90s (in some cases, extensions to 80s stuff) and ended in the 2000s.

Lastly, Gen Zers are fond of the kid culture of the 2000s and 2010s.

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/18/19 at 7:46 pm

As time moves on, more and more people will realize that those born in the late '90s are (older) Generation Zers. There's nothing wrong with that. All the evidence for them being Generation Z is everywhere.
http://i68.tinypic.com/10d8mlt.jpg

Written By: Retrolover on 07/18/19 at 8:04 pm

As time moves on, more and more people will realize that those born in the late '90s are (older) Generation Zers. There's nothing wrong with that. All the evidence for them being Generation Z is everywhere.

The 90s were almost over when they were being born, how could late 90s borns claim that they had childhoods IN the 90s?

Written By: Si_1997 on 07/18/19 at 8:57 pm

This can also apply to mid 90’s babies since those born in late 1994 were still in pre k by 2000 lol. Hell if you were born in late 1993 you would have been in kindergarten in 2000. We were all in early childhood ages 3-5 at some point during that time span. The question is if I’m a millennial not a 90’s kid. Don’t get the two confused. A millennial is someone who has came of age in the early 21st century. Since I remember a plethora of cultural shifts from 2000-2019 I feel as if I’m more millennial than Gen Z.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/18/19 at 9:29 pm

Again, I apologize for this. A ‘97 born is not a 90s kid or Millennial.

I feel Si_1997 wants to be a Millennial and not a Zer because the older children around him or her were Millennials. Most Xennials wish they were Gen Xers because Xers were old enough to go places and see different things in the mid 80s, late 80s, and early 90s. Oddly enough, I don’t know any Millennials who would love to live a second life as a Xennial.  :-\\

Written By: Si_1997 on 07/18/19 at 9:49 pm

No I feel like a millennial because all of my childhood experiences relate more towards millennials. I was the only child and the oldest at that lol. People just think that in order to be a millennial you have to be a 90’s kid and that’s not the case especially when my childhood memories  started not even a year after the 1990’s ended.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/18/19 at 10:01 pm

No I feel like a millennial because all of my childhood experiences relate more towards millennials. I was the only child and the oldest at that lol. People just think that in order to be a millennial you have to be a 90’s kid and that’s not the case especially when my childhood memories  started not even a year after the 1990’s ended.

That’s what I was saying with my post. Millennials were still being marketed to when you were growing up. The thing is Millennials prefer the kid culture that came out in the 90s and not so much the 2000s.

You have a better understanding of living in the 2000s than you do the 90s. Most sociologists would name you a Gen Zer.

Written By: Si_1997 on 07/18/19 at 10:18 pm

Where would that place people born in 1993 ?

Written By: Retrolover on 07/18/19 at 10:22 pm

Where would that place people born in 1993 ?

‘93ers are Millennials like the posters above have said.

Written By: Si_1997 on 07/18/19 at 10:37 pm

But if they were born late in 1993 wouldn’t the youngest only be 6 in 2000 ? Same with those born in q994 lol. My cousin was born in December of 1994 and we’re 2 and a half years younger than each other lol

Written By: Retrolover on 07/18/19 at 10:54 pm

But if they were born late in 1993 wouldn’t the youngest only be 6 in 2000 ? Same with those born in q994 lol. My cousin was born in December of 1994 and we’re 2 and a half years younger than each other lol

Late ‘93ers and ‘94ers were old enough in the 90s to discover “Teletubbies” and Furby. It’s not the same for ‘97ers who had “Dora the Explorer” and “Shrek”. Post -‘87 and pre-‘97 borns are Millennials.

Written By: rapplepop on 07/19/19 at 1:03 am

Definitely relate ! We had dial up until I was 7 or 8. I still remember when cell phones had huge antennas attached to them circa 2000-2002 and my mom didn’t have one until 2003. I remember when Nsync was big with Bye Bye bye and when Backstreet boys came out with Shape of my heart around late 2000 early 2001. Those are some of my earliest memories of pop culture. I had am Izone camera, hit clips, poo-chi’s, etc as a child. Most of my childhood memories are early 00’s/mid 00’s rather than late since I was in middle school around that time

I think some 97ers are millennials, it just depends on their circumstances growing up. Your childhood sounds pretty millennial to me.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/19/19 at 7:14 am

Yeah, 1993 borns are certainly Gen Y to me. Mostly because they were old enough to have a major part of their childhood during the late '90s and early '00s when Gen Y kid culture was still at it's peak. A 1993 born would have been around 7 years old during 2000, meaning they were at peak childhood when stuff like Pokemon and Toonami were peaking. They also would have had most of their teen years during the late '00s when Gen Y teen culture was still at it's peak.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/19/19 at 8:00 am

Yeah, 1993 borns are certainly Gen Y to me. Mostly because they were old enough to have a major part of their childhood during the late '90s and early '00s when Gen Y kid culture was still at it's peak. A 1993 born would have been around 7 years old during 2000, meaning they were at peak childhood when stuff like Pokemon and Toonami were peaking. They also would have had most of their teen years during the late '00s when Gen Y teen culture was still at it's peak.

At 5 years old, late ‘93ers could not go near a lot of Pokémon merchandise in 1999. Remember the news story about the Hasbro Pokemon Power Bouncer Balls made in 1998? Parents feared their children would swallow the ball or try to eat through the actual Power Bouncer ball to get the mini Pokémon inside of it. This was around the same time we heard such stories as a small boy falling from his high window “thinking he was Superman” (when the band Five for Fighting put out Superman). I think Furbies were more in line for 5 year olds from 1998 to 2000.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/19/19 at 9:32 am

That’s what I was saying with my post. Millennials were still being marketed to when you were growing up. The thing is Millennials prefer the kid culture that came out in the 90s and not so much the 2000s.

You have a better understanding of living in the 2000s than you do the 90s. Most sociologists would name you a Gen Zer.

So if Millennial culture was still dominant when he was growing up, wouldn't that in part make him more able to relate to Millennials? Therefore, that would mean (in the case regarding childhood nostalgia) he would in part be a Millennial.

Huh :o. Dun, dun, dun!

Generations aren't scientific nor hard line concepts, they're fluid. Generally speaking, those born in the mid 80s-mid 90s are undeniably Millennials. However, those born in the early 80s and late 90s aren't automatically dramatically different from those born in 1984+ or <1997.

In real life, is there really a significant difference in the grand scheme of things between a person born in 1980 (generally considered the last of Xers) and a person born in 1981 (generally considered the first of Yers)? In the same way is there a big difference between those born in 1996 (last of Y by most metrics) and those born in 1997 (first of Z in most metrics)? Generations are fluid at the end of the day, not a box. So if a 97er feels more like Y, especially given the fact that those born in 1993-1996 are unanimously considered Yers by most metrics (although, there was a time in recent history where even that I was highly in dispute, but opinions and definitions change obviously), what exactly is the controversy here?

I just feel like much of this animosity against late 90s babies merely questioning their supposed 'Gen Z' status has been built up of previous anger from the whole '90s Kid' debate 5-10 years ago, with buthurt late 80s babies taking out their frustrations on late 90s babies. Because, the last time I checked, '90s kids' does not equal Millennials. Technically, all supposed 90s kids (those born generally from 1983-1992) are Millennials, but not all Millennials are 90s kids. If you can't understand that difference, then there is something seriously wrong with your logical reasoning on merely basic concepts, and due to that I don't think you should be of any merit to inject opinions regarding generationsharsh, I know.

So, @Si_1997, objectively you're cuspy, but overall if I had to choose, you lean more Millennial/Y. Case closed. End this abomination of a thread....

Written By: Retrolover on 07/19/19 at 10:55 am

So if Millennial culture was still dominant when he was growing up, wouldn't that in part make him more able to relate to Millennials? Therefore, that would mean (in the case regarding childhood nostalgia) he would in part be a Millennial.

Huh :o. Dun, dun, dun!

Generations aren't scientific nor hard line concepts, they're fluid. Generally speaking, those born in the mid 80s-mid 90s are undeniably Millennials. However, those born in the early 80s and late 90s aren't automatically dramatically different from those born in 1984+ or <1997.

In real life, is there really a significant difference in the grand scheme of things between a person born in 1980 (generally considered the last of Xers) and a person born in 1981 (generally considered the first of Yers)? In the same way is there a big difference between those born in 1996 (last of Y by most metrics) and those born in 1997 (first of Z in most metrics)? Generations are fluid at the end of the day, not a box. So if a 97er feels more like Y, especially given the fact that those born in 1993-1996 are unanimously considered Yers by most metrics (although, there was a time in recent history where even that I was highly in dispute, but opinions and definitions change obviously), what exactly is the controversy here?

I just feel like much of this animosity against late 90s babies merely questioning their supposed 'Gen Z' status has been built up of previous anger from the whole '90s Kid' debate 5-10 years ago, with buthurt late 80s babies taking out their frustrations on late 90s babies. Because, the last time I checked, '90s kids' does not equal Millennials. Technically, all supposed 90s kids (those born generally from 1983-1992) are Millennials, but not all Millennials are 90s kids. If you can't understand that difference, then there is something seriously wrong with your logical reasoning on merely basic concepts, and due to that I don't think you should be of any merit to inject opinions regarding generationsharsh, I know.

So, @Si_1997, objectively you're cuspy, but overall if I had to choose, you lean more Millennial/Y. Case closed. End this abomination of a thread....

Most Zers relate better to Millennials than the generations before and after Millennials. Late 90s borns are not Millennials. Late 90s babies could claim that they are a Y and Z cusp, but core Millennials don’t see people born in late 90s as being one of them.

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/19/19 at 6:57 pm

I'm a 93er. At 10/11 years old I began feeling more of a preteen. So, I always felt like 1998 - 2000 was the peak of my childhood although that was my early childhood. Thats why I named myself Millennium.

Whenever I speak about my childhood, I always bring up the holy trinity Sailor moon, Pokemon, & DBZ. It seems to me that after 2000 many of the things that were very popular during the Y2K era kinda lost its spark to me even though they were still around.

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/19/19 at 7:02 pm

I never thought I'd see the day people would be battling for the "Millennial" title.  ;D  ;D

I even see people born in the 2000s saying, "I wish I was born in the 90s! I hate my generation." This stuff truly is a cycle that I can finally say I've witnessed first hand.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/19/19 at 7:43 pm

I never thought I'd see the day people would be battling for the "Millennial" title.  ;D  ;D

I even see people born in the 2000s saying, "I wish I was born in the 90s! I hate my generation." This stuff truly is a cycle that I can finally say I've witnessed first hand.

The title “Millennial” sounds like it should belong to someone born in the 2000s, but people born from the 1980s to mid 1990s are better prepared to live longer in this Millennium to most Boomers.

Most people wish they belonged to the generation ahead of theirs, so those people could better understand what was going on during the time of their childhood to their death. We wouldn’t appreciate our lives as they are if we were someone older. It is a vicious cycle.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/19/19 at 9:16 pm

What is so bad about being a Gen Zer?

Imagine being a part of a hidden generation like Xennials are. Xennials today won’t see many shirts (if any) featuring characters from Pee Wee’s Playhouse, The Real Ghostbusters, Perfect Strangers, An American Tail, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, or The California Raisins in brick and mortar stores or online. Everything around now for sale either appeals to Xers and Xennials or Millennials and Xennials. In the 2020s and 2030s, I’m sure there will be more than enough pop culture collectibles for Zers.

Why do Zers hate being Zers?

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 07/19/19 at 9:31 pm

Imagine being a part of a hidden generation like Xennials are. Xennials today won’t see many shirts (if any) featuring characters from Pee Wee’s Playhouse, The Real Ghostbusters, Perfect Strangers, An American Tail, or The California Raisins in brick and mortar stores or online. Everything around now for sale either appeals to Xers and Xennials or Millennials and Xennials. In the 2020s and 2030s, I’m sure there will be more than enough pop culture collectibles for Zers.

Funny how you consider Xennials to be a generation, but not Zedennials for those born roughly from 1994-1999.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/19/19 at 9:37 pm

Funny how you consider Xennials to be a generation, but not Zedennials for those born roughly from 1994-1999.

There is no such thing as a Zedennial. Technically, Xennials are Millennials, but XYers are the earliest Millennials. It’s not the same for Zers. Xennials are a one of a kind sandwiched generation.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/19/19 at 11:13 pm

There is no such thing as a Zedennial. Technically, Xennials are Millennials, but XYers are the earliest Millennials. It’s not the same for Zers. Xennials are a one of a kind sandwiched generation.

Sandwiched in between Generation X and Millennials. Similar to how there is a similar ‘mini generation’ (if you will) of those born from 1995-2001 that is sandwiched between Millennials and Generation Z. Idk why you guys are getting so buthurt over this relatively simple concept.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/19/19 at 11:17 pm

Imagine being a part of a hidden generation like Xennials are. Xennials today won’t see many shirts (if any) featuring characters from Pee Wee’s Playhouse, The Real Ghostbusters, Perfect Strangers, An American Tail, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, or The California Raisins in brick and mortar stores or online. Everything around now for sale either appeals to Xers and Xennials or Millennials and Xennials. In the 2020s and 2030s, I’m sure there will be more than enough pop culture collectibles for Zers.

Nobody is saying anything bad about being Gen Z. It’s just that the OP (and tons of late 90s babies I’ve spoken to both online and in real life) just simply do not relate much with the characteristics that supposedly define Gen Z. That’s it. FWIW, many of them are not that fond with being defined as Millennials either. They’re objectively cusps at the end of the day. However, based on the OP’s life experiences, I already answered in saying that he seems more Gen Y than Gen Z. Someone else born in the same exact year may have had a more ‘new school’ way of growing up and thus may relate more to Gen Z. At the end of the day, it’s not completely clear cut, especially when cuspers are involved.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/19/19 at 11:20 pm

Sandwiched in between Generation X and Millennials. Similar to how there is a similar ‘mini generation’ (if you will) of those born from 1995-2001 that is sandwiched between Millennials and Generation Z. Idk why you guys are getting so buthurt over this relatively simple concept.

‘95ers are Yers, but people born after that in the 90s are Zers. All Zers had childhoods in the 2000s. It is not the same. Core and late Millennials are 90s kids, whereas XYers are not.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 07/19/19 at 11:23 pm

‘95ers are Yers, but people born after that in the 90s are Zers. All Zers had childhoods in the 2000s. It is not the same. Core and late Millennials are 90s kids, whereas XYers are not.

Someone born in 1995 is not a '90s kid. They were still in the age bracket for nusery rhymes and watching Barney & Friends when the '90s ended. Get real.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/19/19 at 11:30 pm

Someone born in 1995 is not a '90s kid. They were still in the age bracket for nusery rhymes and watching Barney & Friends when the '90s ended. Get real.

Almost all mid 90s babies had one or a few formative years in the late 90s, but I see where you are coming from. Late 80s babies are the 90s kids most people think of when someone brings up 90s kids.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/20/19 at 12:07 am

Zennials is the new term for the earliest Zers invented by online posters in different boards. Regardless of that happening, I’ve never heard anyone actually call someone born in ‘97 a Zennial anywhere away from the internet. I imagine people would confuse Zennial for Xennial and vice versa, so the name “Zennial” should be dropped all together. Times might have been different when the first ever Zers were adolescents from how they were for core Zers, but they are still Zers.

As I said earlier, Xennials are the only current “microgeneration”.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/20/19 at 12:11 am

95ers and 96ers are Yers on that regard (if we’re defining in who was the last to be in their childhood in the 90s), but even then it’s minimal. What I keep trying to explain to you is that the definition of 90s kids are not the same as the definition for Millennials. All 90s kids happen to (generally) be considered Millennials, but there’s nothing in sociology that suggests that one has to be a 90s kid to be a Millennial. You sort of contradict even yourself, because you were just saying a few moments ago that technically Xennials are simply just ‘very early’ Millennials, and most Xennials had the majority of their childhoods spent in the 80s.

To me, I like to think of it as if we are defining the childhoods of the Millennial generation, it’s typically one that had relatively easy access (at least in comparison to Gen Xers) to a Personal Computer and or a Video Game Console as both of these technologies became common to own by the late 80s, around when the oldest Millennials were in their core childhoods. However, at the same time, Millennials were a generation that wasn’t consumed by technology in the same way Gen Z grew (and arguably, still are growing) up. Millennials access to the internet was limited, either due to the general accessibility of it prior to Windows 95 being rather lackluster for First Wave Millennials, or because of tediously slow (even for the time) dial up speeds for the internet after Windows 95 for Second Wave Millennials. The 2004-2006 period is around when dial up was being phased out for DSL and eventually modern day broadband, so tedious wait times and annoying sounds emitting those from a fax machine were a thing of the past.

Thus, the Millennial ‘childhood experience’ would be from circa Late 80s to Early-Mid 00s, give or take a few years. If one spent most of their childhoods during this time period (meaning, reaching ‘peak’ childhood age at around 7-8 years old), then I would consider that person a Millennial from childhood perspective. Because there’s a big difference between Millennials, whom grew up with technology and saw it advance (Web 1.0 to Web 2.0, VHS to Streaming, Cartridges to Blu Rays, CDs to Musical Streaming, CRTs to HD, etc.) and Generation Z whom were born with it, or at best have very little memories of life before much of our current modern day technologies (social media, smartphones, etc.).

Written By: Retrolover on 07/20/19 at 12:20 am

There’s only one way to tell if ‘96ers and ‘97ers are Millennials. We would have to invite some ‘96ers and ‘97ers to have a conversation about their childhood and teenage-hood nostalgia with some late 80s babies, early 90s babies, and mid 90s babies.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/20/19 at 8:29 am

There’s only one way to tell if ‘96ers and ‘97ers are Millennials. We would have to invite some ‘96ers and ‘97ers to have a conversation about their childhood and teenage-hood nostalgia with some late 80s babies, early 90s babies, and mid 90s babies.

Disregard everything I just said above.... got it. No reason to continue this conversations further.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/20/19 at 8:52 am

What 1995-1997 born's all have in common, is that we witnessed the end of the millennial kid trends and millennial teen trends as we became kids and teens and we witnessed the start of Gen Z kid trend trends and Gen Z teen trends towards as we exited our kid and teen years. Our peaks were on the absolute cusp, and there's no denying that. Retrolover is quite delusional from the majority of his posts in his thread. You see that no one agrees with you man. Mid-late 90's babies are in the same boat as early 80's babies when it comes to our specific generations. We are in the transition. If I was born in 1981, knowing that I graduated HS in 1999 (spent half or most of HS in the core 90's) and I was already over 2 years removed from HS before 9/11 happened, I sure wouldn't feel like a clear cut millennial at all. 15 years later, that's how 1996 born's feel. We don't feel like we belong to any generation. We could have a separate name for ourselves.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/20/19 at 9:19 am

LOL, you're speaking to 1996 & 1997 borns in this thread. You're just ignoring everything they say ;D.

I was born in '99.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 07/20/19 at 9:33 am

We should call ourselves Generation Wii  ;D

Wait, weren't you born in '98?

Written By: mc98 on 07/20/19 at 9:55 am

Wait, weren't you born in '98?

Yeah, I grew up with both GameCube and Wii. I got my Wii when I was 9 in 07. But I am more fond of the GameCube so forget what I said. I like the GameCube and PS2 more than Wii and PS3. Call us Generation GameCube instead.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/20/19 at 9:58 am

Yeah, I grew up with both GameCube and Wii. I got my Wii when I was 9 in 07. But I am more fond of the GameCube so forget what I said. I like the GameCube and PS2 more than Wii and PS3. Call us Generation GameCube instead.

1999 born here.

For me, I have the most affinity for the PS2. I consider the PS2 to be console of my childhood.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/20/19 at 10:00 am

Did the children that were slightly older than you by 2 years seem to be more like the teenagers and pre-teens who were a lot taller than you in the early to mid 2000s or more like you and your generation?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/20/19 at 10:44 am

Did the children that were slightly older than you by 2 years seem to be more like the teenagers and pre-teens who were a lot taller than you in the early to mid 2000s or more like you and your generation?

Dude what kind of question is that? Its a two year difference. If there was a noticeable or unnoticeable difference in physical appearances, what does that have anything to do with generations or basic sociology?

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 07/20/19 at 10:56 am

Just reported this thread to the mods for review.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/20/19 at 11:10 am

Why does it matter what generation someone belongs in? We have had so many of these threads and many people argue, "You can't be part of that generation because of...." What does it matter and who cares?

I will leave this thread open UNLESS people start bickering. So play nice.

Cat

Written By: Retrolover on 07/20/19 at 11:58 am

Why does it matter what generation someone belongs in? We have had so many of these threads and many people argue, "You can't be part of that generation because of...." What does it matter and who cares?

I will leave this thread open UNLESS people start bickering. So play nice.

Cat

I’m dropping it. I won’t visit this thread again.

Written By: Si_1997 on 07/20/19 at 12:23 pm

Childhood nostalgia: Nsync, Britney Spears, BSB, Christina Aguilera, Destiny’s Child, Ashanti, Aaliyah, Beyonce, Furbies, CD players, Cassettes, VHS, Dial-Up, Destops, Colored Ketchup, lunchables Hit Clips, Cheetah girls, Disney channel, Cartoon Network (Pre 2005), Nickelodeon, etc.

Middle school nostalgia: Britney’s break down, Lime wire, Ipods, 2008 recession, south pole clothing, Reality tv, Jersey shore, Degrassi, Myspace, Facebook, electro pop, Start of skinny jeans, Obamas election, feature phones, side kicks, etc.

High school nostalgia: Electro pop, Slide screen phones, the start of Iphone era, Ipod touch, Facebook still popular, Lady gaga, Katy Perry, Frank ocean, Britney Spears, Beyonce, Instagram became big junior year, snapchat and vine my senior year, desktop computers were still common in 2011 and 2012.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/20/19 at 1:02 pm

I think the reason these discussions continue unnecessarily violent debates is that some people still misunderstand generations. I mentioned this before, and I'll repeat it. Technology and social media is NOT the end-all to be all. They are just one piece of the puzzle. Just because someone didn't use a VCR player during their childhood or adolescence doesn't automatically mean they are considered Gen Z. What about attitudes toward certain groups? How was life in general? Pop culture and other misc are the elements where generations should be discussed.

That's actually why sometimes I think the Xennial label is bogus. It's the technology aspect that's always mentioned to give them the excuse to say they aren't a Millennial. As if not using any social media or high-tech gadgets during one's childhood or even adolescence makes them any different. ::) 

Written By: exodus08 on 07/20/19 at 1:34 pm

Childhood nostalgia: Nsync, Britney Spears, BSB, Christina Aguilera, Destiny’s Child, Ashanti, Aaliyah, Beyonce, Furbies, CD players, Cassettes, VHS, Dial-Up, Destops, Colored Ketchup, lunchables Hit Clips, Cheetah girls, Disney channel, Cartoon Network (Pre 2005), Nickelodeon, etc.

Middle school nostalgia: Britney’s break down, Lime wire, Ipods, 2008 recession, south pole clothing, Reality tv, Jersey shore, Degrassi, Myspace, Facebook, electro pop, Start of skinny jeans, Obamas election, feature phones, side kicks, etc.

High school nostalgia: Electro pop, Slide screen phones, the start of Iphone era, Ipod touch, Facebook still popular, Lady gaga, Katy Perry, Frank ocean, Britney Spears, Beyonce, Instagram became big junior year, snapchat and vine my senior year, desktop computers were still common in 2011 and 2012.

1997-2001 this is your baby/toddler years from ages 0-4. 2002-2009 This is your childhood years from ages 5-12. 2010-2016 this is your teenage years 13-19. 2017-2026 your 20s. You're a 00s kid/ 10s teen/Gen Zer.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/20/19 at 2:30 pm

1997-2001 this is your baby/toddler years from ages 0-4. 2002-2009 This is your childhood years from ages 5-12. 2010-2016 this is your teenage years 13-19. 2017-2026 your 20s. You're a 00s kid/ 10s teen/Gen Zer.

Once again, confirmation bias at its finest.

These are the things the 97er listed as what defined his childhood, middle school, and high school years. Retro asked him what his life experiences were and Si_97 kindly answered to him the life experiences and pop culture he grew up under. Now then, are you actually going to directly address the things Si just brought up? Or are you just going to continue bickering over benign things like, “Oh you were a kid in the 2000s therefor you’re Gen Z”? Because if it’s the latter, there is no point continuing this conversation, because you (and others) seem to not have the intellectual capacity to have a conversation, but rather just resort to tired tropes of things that don’t even come close to remotely describing generations. Like Nerdy Gamer said, there are a wide array of traits and characteristics that define a generation, you guys are just fixated on the “<insert decade> kid”.

Written By: mc98 on 07/20/19 at 2:51 pm

Plus, late 90s borns used Facebook at its peak (2009-2012). I opened a Facebook account in 2010.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/20/19 at 3:24 pm

I was born in 1997, and although pew research center announced that we were gen z, that doesn’t quite feel right. I remember 9/11 and the year 2000. However, I don’t remember anything before the year 2000 as a child. I started elementary in 2002 when girl/boy bands were still relevant or on a hiatus. My favorite childhood years are 2002-2004. I realize that the only reason we aren’t millennials is that we weren’t in elementary yet school during 9/11. However, we were in elementary school in 2002 when all of the changes from 9/11 began. I was in first grade when the 2003 Iraq war began. IDK where that puts me, but I feel more in tuned with late millennials. It’s hard for me to relate to anyone born after 2000 as far as childhood culture goes, but it isn’t hard for me to relate to someone born in 1993.
And that's why I call BS when people say that! First and foremost, why is 9/11 considered to be the most significant occurrence for Millennials? I thought the turn of the millennium was the most important for them, especially since that's where the title of the generation comes into place. I also believe myths are surrounding 9/11 of remembering the event and genuinely understanding of that event. Of course, it's a well-known fact that Millennials recall where they were when the day 9/11 took place. The question is, did they (we) grasp the full amount of that particular event? Not so fast! I honestly think that 9/11 affected Gen Xers more than we acknowledge. I mean for one, they were the ones who mainly perished in the attacks compared to the other generations at the time. Two, these were also the same cohort who worked in the Twin Towers as well the Pentagon. Three, they remembered and understood why, how, and what events led up to 9/11. Millennials (yes, even the older ones) don't recall 90s politics too much due to the fact they were practically too young to know what was going on. The only political events they remember are the 1992 and '96 elections as well as both inaugurations of Bill Clinton. Some of the events that took place in the 90s that could have caused 9/11 to occur were the Desert Storm operations, Oklahoma City Bombing, and wars in parts of the ME. That is everything Gen Xers recall that again may have led up to 9/11 that Millennials generally don't remember.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/20/19 at 3:33 pm

Plus, late 90s borns used Facebook at its peak (2009-2012). I opened a Facebook account in 2010.

and so did early and mid 90's born's used Facebook at its peak too between 2009-2012.

last time I checked those born between late 1991-1992 were still in high school when Facebook entered its peak and MySpace died. More high schoolers used Facebook than middle schoolers. By 2013 we were shifting over to the Instagram/Twitter era rather than Facebook although people still used Facebook, just the older folks who still had it.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/20/19 at 3:36 pm

but I do see your point though. Late 90's babies would have been the last ones to make Facebook accounts and use it in its prime.

Written By: Si_1997 on 07/20/19 at 6:29 pm

Childhood is ages 3-12. A Toddler is 12-36 months. 13-18 is teenage years 18-35 is a young adult. My childhood was from 2000-2009. Early childhood from 2000-2003(pre school to first grade/ millennial y2k culture, the era I lost my first tooth, learned how to ride a bike, rode an airplane, started elementary school, graduated from pre k, started detatching from preschool shows, etc. ) mid childhood 2003-2006and late childhood 2006-2009. Adolescent age starts at age 10/ 5th grade. Plus I was able to vote with other millennials in 2016 and was not in high school for gen z defining traits such as parkland and trump. I rest my case.

Written By: Si_1997 on 07/21/19 at 2:55 am

And that's why I call BS when people say that! First and foremost, why is 9/11 considered to be the most significant occurrence for Millennials? I thought the turn of the millennium was the most important for them, especially since that's where the title of the generation comes into place. I also believe myths are surrounding 9/11 of remembering the event and genuinely understanding of that event. Of course, it's a well-known fact that Millennials recall where they were when the day 9/11 took place. The question is, did they (we) grasp the full amount of that particular event? Not so fast! I honestly think that 9/11 affected Gen Xers more than we acknowledge. I mean for one, they were the ones who mainly perished in the attacks compared to the other generations at the time. Two, these were also the same cohort who worked in the Twin Towers as well the Pentagon. Three, they remembered and understood why, how, and what events led up to 9/11. Millennials (yes, even the older ones) don't recall 90s politics too much due to the fact they were practically too young to know what was going on. The only political events they remember are the 1992 and '96 elections as well as both inaugurations of Bill Clinton. Some of the events that took place in the 90s that could have caused 9/11 to occur were the Desert Storm operations, Oklahoma City Bombing, and wars in parts of the ME. That is everything Gen Xers recall that again may have led up to 9/11 that Millennials generally don't remember.

Yes ! Yes ! Yes ! I always thought gen x and older millennials (born in the early 80’s) were more affected by 9/11. Most millennials were under 18 and in their childhoods still during that time. A 8 year ild on 9/11 doesn’t even have the complete brain maturation to fully dwell on what was going on the same was a teenager or adult would have. Pew states that a 5 year old in 2001  will fully understand the impact of 9/11 compared to a 4 year old born in 1997 when likely they’re experiences weren’t all that different. Both ages had the ability to remember that day give or take but both wouldn’t have understood the full implications as 9/11 took place as a result of an abundant of experiences that happened before they were even born. Sure I do remember 9/11 and I remember watching it on the news. It was big. And it continued on for the rest of 2001/2002. Of course I remember it and that era. Pew was just lazy and decided to end it right then and there. If you ask anyone born in 1981 chances are they will tell you they’re gen x. My earliest memories took place during the millennium hell I was in preschool in 2000. To me remembering 2000 is more millennial than not.

Written By: MichaelBurton69 on 07/25/19 at 7:38 pm

I don't understand why anyone born in 1997 are still confused of which Generation they're apart of. People born in 1997 are fully Gen Z with no millennial overlap. Seem like there's lot of late 90s babies that refuse to accept the fact that they have nothing in common with millennials. It's sad. Anyone who were still in Elementary School during the recession,can't remember things like dial up/web 1.0,VHS,the Powerhouse era of Carton Network/Klasy Cusuo era of Nickelodeon,can't remember the early 2000s,and more importantly,weren't in Elementary School during 9/11,are fully Gen Z,PERIOD .

Written By: Si_1997 on 07/25/19 at 9:33 pm

Lol the GLOBAL recession hit us in September of 2008 when I was in middle school after the Lehman bros. The US HOUSING BUBBLE started in December 2007. Hence the 2008 recession. Just bc I wasn’t in elementary on 9/11 doesnt mean I don’t remember it lol a 4 year old has the ABILITY to remember. I was in elementary school not even a year after 9/11 lol. I’ve seen you on reddit and your annoying af.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/26/19 at 6:01 pm

I don't understand why anyone born in 1997 are still confused of which Generation they're apart of. People born in 1997 are fully Gen Z with no millennial overlap. Seem like there's lot of late 90s babies that refuse to accept the fact that they have nothing in common with millennials. It's sad. Anyone who were still in Elementary School during the recession,can't remember things like dial up/web 1.0,VHS,the Powerhouse era of Carton Network/Klasy Cusuo era of Nickelodeon,can't remember the early 2000s,and more importantly,weren't in Elementary School during 9/11,are fully Gen Z,PERIOD .

This is 100% false (the parts I bolded).

Written By: mc98 on 07/26/19 at 6:28 pm

Michael Burton is a huge troll.

Check for new replies or respond here...