inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Simpsons

Written By: Retrolover on 07/19/19 at 8:54 am

The longest running cartoon of all time and nobody knew it in the 90s. The Simpsons Christmas Special was the first
ever one-shot animated special on the FOX network to air in the era that the channel debuted in.

https://bookriot.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Screen-Shot-2013-04-07-at-2.01.42-PM.png

Where do you stand when it comes to all things “Simpsons” from the 1990s and before? Did you catch The Simpsons Christmas Special the first or second time it was on FOX in 1989? Was The Simpsons Christmas Special book (1990) or VHS (1991) your first exposure to a Simpsons Christmas episode? Did you watch The Simpsons Christmas Special when FOX showed it in the early 90s or did you catch it as the first episode of the reruns in the mid 90s? Do you like the animation of the show or the jokes? Who is your favorite family character and associate of the family? Who is your least favorite? Would the shows within “The Simpsons” work as actual TV shows? Would you watch a Krusty Show, The Happy Little Tree Elves, or Itchy and Scratchy Show if it were on FOX? Would you play any games if a Noiseland Arcade were made? Should the Simpson kids have grown up before the 90s were over? Was “The Simpsons Christmas Special” the first episode to you? Did “The Simpsons” change everything? Did you watch the Tracey Ullman shorts on Lifetime when the 30 minute show was brand new? Bart or Homer Simpson? Would more Bart centric episodes have saved the series from where it is today? Did “The Simpsons” lose its’ edge as the most controversial dysfunctional family on TV with the second season? Do you prefer the Huxtables, Connors, or Bundys to the Simpsons? “Jetsons” versus “Flintstones” versus “The Simpsons”—who wins? Did you own any merchandise in the 1990s? Were you in the camp of people who thought “The Simpsons” merchandise would be worth as much as vintage Mickey Mouse items from the 40s and 50s in the early 90s? Is Matt Groening a legendary cartoonist? Were you influenced to draw cartoons when “The Simpsons” was in its’ first season during the original run? Did you find other prime-time 90s cartoons to be better than “The Simpsons”? Was “Do the Bartman” an instantly forgettable song? Was “Do the Bartman” too much? 90s kids, was “Do the Bartman” so 1991 to you? Were “The Simpsons” important to the 1990s? Please let me know every thought you have about “The Simpsons”.

https://superretromania.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/bartmerch3.jpg

Subject: Re: The Simpsons

Written By: annimal on 07/19/19 at 11:01 am

stand? I'm sitting

Written By: nally on 07/19/19 at 11:02 am

I'm quite surprised that it has lasted for 30 seasons as a standalone show.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/19/19 at 11:04 am

I'm quite surprised that it has lasted for 30 seasons as a standalone show.

I watch it nowadays for the pop culture references, but I like the late 80s and 90s episodes better. What was your favorite episode of the series from 1989 to 1999?

Written By: nally on 07/19/19 at 11:07 am

I watch it nowadays for the pop culture references, but I like the late 80s and 90s episodes better. What was your favorite episode of the series from 1989 to 1999?

Yeah, I agree that the earlier episodes were a lot better. To me, they helped define an element of 90's pop culture.

One episode that stands out to me is "Rose Bud", a 1993 episode in which Mr. Burns longs for his childhood teddybear, Bobo. Maggie ends up finding it, but refuses to part with it until Burns finally convinces her, at the end.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/19/19 at 11:11 am

Yeah, I agree that the earlier episodes were a lot better. To me, they helped define an element of 90's pop culture.

One episode that stands out to me is "Rose Bud", a 1993 episode in which Mr. Burns longs for his childhood teddybear, Bobo. Maggie ends up finding it, but refuses to part with it until Burns finally convinces her, at the end.

It’s been awhile since I have seen “Rose Bud”. I watched “The Simpsons” in syndication on FOX from sometime in the mid 90s to 2010 or so when FOX stopped showing them in the evening. What was your least favorite late 80s or 90s episode?

Written By: annimal on 07/19/19 at 11:13 am

I don't watch the Simpsons any more.  I watch something else sometimes that has characters drawn like the Simpsons

Written By: Retrolover on 07/19/19 at 11:14 am

I don't watch the Simpsons any more.  I watch something else sometimes that has characters drawn like the Simpsons

Bob’s Burgers?  ;D

Written By: annimal on 07/19/19 at 12:45 pm

it is going to be lunch time in a while

Written By: Retrolover on 07/19/19 at 2:30 pm

Has anyone on here played The Simpsons Arcade Game by Konami? TSAG was a satire of all of the popular beat-em up arcade games before it (I.e. - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles arcade game from 1989). Does anyone on here believe that The Simpsons Arcade Game was the best arcade game of the 1990s or does that title go to Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter 2, Tekken, TMNT: Turtles In Time, or X-Men by Konami?

Written By: nally on 07/19/19 at 3:21 pm

Has anyone on here played The Simpsons Arcade Game by Konami? TSAG was a satire of all of the popular beat-em up arcade games before it (I.e. - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles arcade game from 1989). Does anyone on here believe that The Simpsons Arcade Game was the best arcade game of the 1990s or does that title go to Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter 2, Tekken, TMNT: Turtles In Time, or X-Men by Konami?

I played it. Once or twice a month I would visit a local video arcade in a shopping mall, and it had the Konami game. I never got through all the levels, though. Beating the bosses at the end of each level was often quite challenging, and I would often need at least a dollar in quarters to keep replenishing my lives.

Written By: Howard on 07/19/19 at 4:32 pm

Retro, I don't really have a favorite episode, it's been so long I really can't remember.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/19/19 at 5:28 pm

I played it. Once or twice a month I would visit a local video arcade in a shopping mall, and it had the Konami game. I never got through all the levels, though. Beating the bosses at the end of each level was often quite challenging, and I would often need at least a dollar in quarters to keep replenishing my lives.

That whole arcade game was challenging. TSAG was nothing like the scroll and
beat ‘em up games of that time. I couldn’t even finish the first round of TSAG midway. I couldn’t tell you who the best character to select at the beginning of the arcade game was. I would love to own a mini cabinet (Papercraft even) of TSAG. I loved it more than the arcade game for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Loved it, yet couldn’t play it.

Did you collect the trading cards and stickers of The Simpsons in the 90s?

Written By: nally on 07/19/19 at 5:47 pm

That whole arcade game was challenging. TSAG was nothing like the scroll and
beat ‘em up games of that time. I couldn’t even finish the first round of TSAG midway. I couldn’t tell you who the best character to select at the beginning of the arcade game was. I would love to own a mini cabinet (Papercraft even) of TSAG. I loved it more than the arcade game for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Loved it, yet couldn’t play it.

Of the four characters you could select, I often went with Homer.

Did you collect the trading cards and stickers of The Simpsons in the 90s?

No. The only trading cards I've ever collected are baseball cards.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/19/19 at 6:09 pm

Of the four characters you could select, I often went with Homer.

No. The only trading cards I've ever collected are baseball cards.

For some reason, I thought Marge in TSAG was the Donatello of TMNT arcade game. She could attack the human drones with her hair and a vacuum cleaner, if I remember correctly. Homer and Bart were always taken if you played TSAG with friends or random onlookers.

Was there any Simpsons merchandise that you liked?

Written By: nally on 07/19/19 at 6:12 pm

For some reason, I thought Marge in TSAG was the Donatello of TMNT arcade game. She could attack the human drones with her hair and a vacuum cleaner, if I remember correctly. Homer and Bart were always taken if you played TSAG with friends or random onlookers.

Yes...I did have two T-shirts. One had the whole family depicted on it; the other one had Bart himself with one of his catchphrases.

Also, there was a Rainy Day Fun Book (authored by Matt Groening), filled with all kinds of activities...and I did them all.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/19/19 at 7:55 pm

Yes...I did have two T-shirts. One had the whole family depicted on it; the other one had Bart himself with one of his catchphrases.

Also, there was a Rainy Day Fun Book (authored by Matt Groening), filled with all kinds of activities...and I did them all.

Oversized Simpsons shirts were everything to most Xennials and Millennials in the 90s.
1991 was an excellent year to be a Simpsons fan, wasn’t it?  :)

What was the most unbelievable  thing to happen on “The Simpsons” in the 90s to you? Was it when Homer went to space? The Simpsons travelled to Springfield? Principal Skinner was revealed to be someone else? When Mr. Burns was shot? The monorail in their city? The whole episode for “Bart Sells His Soul”? How was that not a Treehouse of Horror story?

Written By: Howard on 07/20/19 at 2:43 pm

I used to own a poster with Bart on it.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/20/19 at 6:19 pm

I used to own a poster with Bart on it.

The oversized door poster or a regular size Bart poster? Did you win the Bart poster at a carnival in 1990 or you purchased it from a poster store in the mall? What made you buy the Bart poster at the time?

Written By: Howard on 07/21/19 at 2:40 pm

The oversized door poster or a regular size Bart poster? Did you win the Bart poster at a carnival in 1990 or you purchased it from a poster store in the mall? What made you buy the Bart poster at the time?

It was this poster:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/517pJfLbpfL.jpg

Written By: nally on 07/21/19 at 2:43 pm

^ Aha! That was the exact image that was on a T-shirt that I had in 1990.

Written By: Howard on 07/21/19 at 3:00 pm

^ Aha! That was the exact image that was on a T-shirt that I had in 1990.

Bart Simpson had many posters.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/21/19 at 5:00 pm

Bart Simpson had many posters.

Bart Simpson was everywhere from 1990 to 1991. It seemed like lots of Bart merchandise was going to be in stores from some point in 1991 to the end of the 90s while the 90s were going on, but ‘92 was weak for Simpsons merchandise. Then, out of nowhere, the shirts, books, and other miscellaneous memorabilia were re-released in the modern cartoon style of “The Simpsons” in 1993 and sold for cheaper (in some instances).

Who is your favorite Simpsons female?

Written By: Howard on 07/22/19 at 5:41 am

Bart Simpson was everywhere from 1990 to 1991. It seemed like lots of Bart merchandise was going to be in stores from some point in 1991 to the end of the 90s while the 90s were going on, but ‘92 was weak for Simpsons merchandise. Then, out of nowhere, the shirts, books, and other miscellaneous memorabilia were re-released in the modern cartoon style of “The Simpsons” in 1993 and sold for cheaper (in some instances).

Who is your favorite Simpsons female?

I don't have a favorite.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/22/19 at 11:48 am

I don't have a favorite.

I always liked Lisa and Maggie more than Marge in the Simpsons shorts. It’s always fun to see children being children (even animated) on TV. Our childhood days are our best days on this earth.

Have you seen the Simpsons shorts from the late 80s?

Written By: Howard on 07/23/19 at 7:26 am

I always liked Lisa and Maggie more than Marge in the Simpsons shorts. It’s always fun to see children being children (even animated) on TV. Our childhood days are our best days on this earth.

Have you seen the Simpsons shorts from the late 80s?

Was this before The Tracey Ullman Show started? ???

Written By: Retrolover on 07/26/19 at 7:59 pm

Was this before The Tracey Ullman Show started? ???

During the Tracey Ullman show days.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/30/19 at 7:20 pm

Did anyone on here dislike The Simpsons Arcade Game or something about it?

All of the promotion for “The Simpsons” in The Simpson’s Arcade Game bothered me. There are too many references to the show and things related to the show from 1990 in the Konami arcade game. When I’m playing as Bart on his skateboard in Springfield, I want to imagine that I’m really living in Springfield. I can’t do that in this game.

Don’t get me wrong, The Simpsons Arcade Game is a great beat ‘em 4 player, but it’s too ‘cutesy’ (to put it in a word).

It’s also unbelievable that Waylon Smithers would hold Homer’s daughter hostage because Maggie had a rare diamond in her mouth that belonged to Mr. Burns.

The Simpsons Arcade Game tried to be a spoof of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade Game from 1989 and it failed because “The Simpsons” were not a family of fighters on the TV show.

To the people on this board, which one was worse? Do the Bartman or The Simpsons Arcade Game?

Written By: Howard on 07/31/19 at 3:02 pm

All of the promotion for “The Simpsons” in The Simpson’s Arcade Game bothered me. There are too many references to the show and things related to the show from 1990 in the Konami arcade game. When I’m playing as Bart on his skateboard in Springfield, I want to imagine that I’m really living in Springfield. I can’t do that in this game.

Don’t get me wrong, The Simpsons Arcade Game is a great beat ‘em 4 player, but it’s too ‘cutesy’ (to put it in a word).

It’s also unbelievable that Waylon Smithers would hold Homer’s daughter hostage because Maggie had a rare diamond in her mouth that belonged to Mr. Burns.

The Simpsons Arcade Game tried to be a spoof of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade Game from 1989 and it failed because “The Simpsons” were not a family of fighters on the TV show.

To the people on this board, which one was worse? Do the Bartman or The Simpsons Arcade Game?

I think Do The Bartman was a bit silly.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/31/19 at 5:01 pm

I think Do The Bartman was a bit silly.

Come to think of it, everything “The Simpsons” related went in a different direction starting with the second season. It was exciting to watch the first season because you never knew what was going to happen. Bart saying “damn” in “Bart the Genius” was a real eye opener to Americans at the time. Somehow even the Bundy children seemed tame compared the Simpson children after Bart said that.

Then, the second season happened and the series was made for Boomers, Joneses, Xers, XYers, and Yers. “Do the Bartman” was made to grab everybody watching the show, but it was mainly XYers who actually did the dance from 1990 to 1993. It was thought of as a silly novelty song to a lot of the adults and teenagers who loved “The Simpsons” for the spoofs of social commentary found in the show. “Do the Bartman” wasn’t the start of the decline like some fans of “The Simpson’s” make it out to be though.

What did you think about the episode “The Principal and the Pauper” when the real Seymour Skinner revealed himself? Was that end of the series for you or the one where Maude Flanders dies or is there another episode worst than those two that came before or after them?

Written By: nally on 07/31/19 at 7:34 pm

Yeah, at first I hadn't realized that that was the premise, when I first played the Arcade Game. But then after a year or two, I did realize it. I never got through all the levels, though. I just played it for amusement.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/31/19 at 8:23 pm

Yeah, at first I hadn't realized that that was the premise, when I first played the Arcade Game. But then after a year or two, I did realize it. I never got through all the levels, though. I just played it for amusement.

The stages (minus the last one) aren’t hard. I’ve never timed myself playing them, so I wouldn’t be able to tell you how quickly you should be done with the arcade game. I don’t really care for the arcade game, but I love the cabinet. Seeing classic Simpsons stuff puts me in a daze.

What was the worst episode of “The Simpsons” to you?

Written By: nally on 07/31/19 at 10:15 pm

The stages (minus the last one) aren’t hard. I’ve never timed myself playing them, so I wouldn’t be able to tell you how quickly you should be done with the arcade game. I don’t really care for the arcade game, but I love the cabinet. Seeing classic Simpsons stuff puts me in a daze.

I just watched a full-length Youtube vid of the game being played in full...by all four players. Now I know what each stage is all about... and that the final one consists solely of defeating a Smithers figure and a Burns powering a robot.

Written By: Retrolover on 07/31/19 at 11:44 pm

I just watched a full-length Youtube vid of the game being played in full...by all four players. Now I know what each stage is all about... and that the final one consists solely of defeating a Smithers figure and a Burns powering a robot.

I wish that robotic suit that Mr. Burns was wearing were featured in the show.

I think the reason a lot of people love The Simpsons Arcade Game because it was great to see the characters on the show in 16 bit form. At the end of the day, The Simpsons Arcade Game is perfect for fans of Matt Groening’s work.

Written By: nally on 08/01/19 at 10:16 am

Here was that full-length vid, by the way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mZKoejwKOs

In order to play it successfully from start to finish, you'd likely need dollars and dollars in quarters, cuz a single quarter doesn't give you very many lives.

Written By: annimal on 08/01/19 at 10:30 am

I never played it

Written By: Retrolover on 08/02/19 at 8:39 am

Here was that full-length vid, by the way:
In order to play it successfully from start to finish, you'd likely need dollars and dollars in quarters, cuz a single quarter doesn't give you very many lives.

I haven’t played it in sometime. I forgot how many worlds there were.

Written By: nally on 08/02/19 at 11:46 am

I haven’t played it in sometime. I forgot how many worlds there were.

Like I said, I never got through all eight of them. Level four or five was probably the furthest I got.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/02/19 at 7:44 pm

Like I said, I never got through all eight of them. Level four or five was probably the furthest I got.

I wish The Simpsons Arcade Game were released for a console with a good controller to it.

What was the best Simpsons game of the 90s to you? Have you ever played “Bart vs. the Space Mutants” for the NES?

Written By: nally on 08/02/19 at 7:59 pm

I wish The Simpsons Arcade Game were released for a console with a good controller to it.

What was the best Simpsons game of the 90s to you? Have you ever played “Bart vs. the Space Mutants” for the NES?

No I haven't. I didn't have any game consoles back then. We spent our money on more essential things.

However, I did have an electronic LCD Game produced by Tiger Electronics. The premise was to get Bart home (on his skateboard) while dodging various obstacles. With each level, an additional obstacle gets added. I completed all five levels successfully.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/02/19 at 8:45 pm

No I haven't. I didn't have any game consoles back then. We spent our money on more essential things.

However, I did have an electronic LCD Game produced by Tiger Electronics. The premise was to get Bart home (on his skateboard) while dodging various obstacles. With each level, an additional obstacle gets added. I completed all five levels successfully.

“I’m innocent, man!”  ;D

I wanted the Talking Bart vs. Homersaurus handheld game by Tiger in the 90s.

Would you say the NES games were better than Sega and Gameboy games or not as good? 

Written By: Retrolover on 08/05/19 at 6:50 pm

Is it me or was “The Christmas Special” the only episode of “The Simpsons” that didn’t have a contrived plot?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/19 at 12:44 am

Yes indeed, not only the longest running cartoon television show, but also the least watched program on the television.

Written By: Howard on 08/06/19 at 7:17 am

Yes indeed, not only the longest running cartoon television show, but also the least watched program on the television.

And going on 30 years. :o

Written By: Retrolover on 08/06/19 at 8:03 am

I know one person (a late Boomer) who still watches “The Simpsons”. Other than that, people generally leave “The Simpsons” on their television screens nowadays when they don’t know what to watch and they want the TV on.

Subject: Re: The Simpsons: composer Alf Clausen sues Fox on ageism

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/19 at 2:46 pm

Simpsons composer Alf Clausen sues Fox following 'firing'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49248024

A man who wrote music for The Simpsons for 27 years is suing its makers for allegedly firing him due to his age. Composer Alf Clausen, 78, said he was sacked from the show in 2017. In his claim, Clausen states he was informed that the show was "taking the music in a different direction".

Written By: nally on 08/06/19 at 6:27 pm

And going on 30 years. :o

Makes me wonder how it has stayed on the air all this time. And why there hasn't been a series finale yet. ???

If it were live-action (which it's not) then all the characters would have to age (the kids would currently all be in their 30s, even Maggie). I just find it awkward for them not to age, even just for a few yrs. Especially since one particular episode from 2008 -- entitled "That Nineties Show" -- seems to retcon the whole series (and has been widely criticized for that). The Simpsons helped shape one aspect of 90's pop culture; the series was widely popular throughout the decade... and beyond. I even wore a Bart Simpson costume for Halloween in 1990.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/06/19 at 6:29 pm

Everything with “The Simpsons” nowadays is being taken in a different direction. I wonder what the future holds for this show. Will any of Matt Groening’s sons be cartoonists, writers, producers, animators, and voice actors for “The Simpsons” when they get older?

Makes me wonder how it has stayed on the air all this time. And why there hasn't been a series finale yet. ???

If it were live-action (which it's not) then all the characters would have to age (the kids would currently all be in their 30s, even Maggie). I just find it awkward for them not to age, even just for a few yrs. Especially since one particular episode from 2008 -- entitled "That Nineties Show" -- seems to retcon the whole series (and has been widely criticized for that). The Simpsons helped shape one aspect of 90's pop culture; the series was widely popular throughout the decade... and beyond. I even wore a Bart Simpson costume for Halloween in 1990.

That would had to have been the Ben Cooper Bart Simpson costume if one of your  parents purchased it from the store. 1990 was the last year those Ben Cooper costumes were in stores. Did you smell the plastic a lot while you had the BART mask on?

Written By: nally on 08/06/19 at 6:32 pm

Everything with “The Simpsons” nowadays is being taken in a different direction. I wonder what the future holds for this show. Will any of Matt Groening’s sons be cartoonists, writers, producers, animators, and voice actors for “The Simpsons” when they get older?

Or take over the franchise when he retires/dies?

Written By: nally on 08/07/19 at 12:33 am

^ I don't remember the brand name. It could have ben the Been Cooper, I don't know.

Also, four days before Halloween that year, I attended an "Ice Capades" show at The Forum in Inglewood (at the time it was called the Great Western Forum) in which the Simpsons were the stars.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/07/19 at 7:03 am

^ I don't remember the brand name. It could have ben the Been Cooper, I don't know.

Also, four days before Halloween that year, I attended an "Ice Capades" show at The Forum in Inglewood (at the time it was called the Great Western Forum) in which the Simpsons were the stars.

The Ben Cooper fabric costume dress-up with mask was the only Bart Simpson Halloween costume in stores back in 1990.

Written By: Howard on 08/07/19 at 7:54 am

I just wonder if Matt Groenig has plans on retiring?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/19 at 7:56 am

...and the associated writers?

Written By: nally on 08/07/19 at 12:34 pm

The Ben Cooper fabric costume dress-up with mask was the only Bart Simpson Halloween costume in stores back in 1990.

Then maybe that was it. Thanks for the info.

Or keeping the franchise alive until he dies?

Written By: Retrolover on 08/07/19 at 12:43 pm

Then maybe that was it. Thanks for the info.

Or keeping the franchise alive until he dies?

Don’t mention it. ;)

Most Xennials and Millennials were wearing homemade Bart costumes at the time. At most, the rubber Bart masks were being purchased, but you rarely saw children with the full Ben Cooper costume back then.

Written By: nally on 08/07/19 at 12:46 pm

Don’t mention it. ;)

I already did. :D

Most Xennials and Millennials were wearing homemade Bart costumes at the time. At most, the rubber Bart masks were being purchased, but you rarely saw children with the full Ben Cooper costume back then.

Exactly... since the Simpsons themselves were already getting immensely popular then. Heck, I still have a "Bart" beach towel in which he is saying "Cowabunga, man!" (But wasn't Cowabunga a neologism already used by the Ninja Turtles?)

Written By: Retrolover on 08/07/19 at 12:54 pm

I already did. :D

Exactly... since the Simpsons themselves were already getting immensely popular then. Heck, I still have a "Bart" beach towel in which he is saying "Cowabunga, man!" (But wasn't Cowabunga a neologism already used by the Ninja Turtles?)

Michelangelo, the surfer turtle, used “Cowabunga” a lot on the classic syndicated cartoon and in the movies, but the “Cowabunga, man” Bart shirt was worn by a lot of male Xennials in 1991.

Written By: nally on 08/07/19 at 1:00 pm

Michelangelo, the surfer turtle, used “Cowabunga” a lot on the classic syndicated cartoon and in the movies, but the “Cowabunga, man” Bart shirt was worn by a lot of male Xennials in 1991.

I see now. It makes sense. I still thought "Cowabunga" was used by all four Ninja Turtles at one point or another (one at a time, individually, not necessarily simultaneously). After all, it was a one-word catchphrase. Or maybe each turtle had his own catchphrase?

Perhaps Matt Groening (and co.) sought permission from the Ninja Turtle producers to use that nonce word?

Written By: Retrolover on 08/07/19 at 1:07 pm

I see now. It makes sense. I still thought "Cowabunga" was used by all four Ninja Turtles at one point or another (one at a time, individually, not necessarily simultaneously). After all, it was a one-word catchphrase. Or maybe each turtle had his own catchphrase?

Perhaps Matt Groening (and co.) sought permission from the Ninja Turtle producers to use that nonce word?

The term was popular in the late 80s and early 90s because of the mid 60s revival. Both Bart and the Turtles had more memorable catchphrases than “Cowabunga”. Of course, it was imperative to Xennials at the time to wear clothes with surfer lingo on it because Gen Xers were using surfer lingo all of the time. Being as cool as cool as Xers was everything to Xennials in the early 90s.

Written By: nally on 08/07/19 at 1:08 pm

The term was popular in the late 80s and early 90s because of the mid 60s revival. Both Bart and the Turtles had more memorable catchphrases than “Cowabunga”. Of course, it was imperative to Xennials at the time to wear clothes with surfer lingo on it because Gen Xers were using surfer lingo all of the time. Being as cool as cool as Xers was everything to Xennials in the early 90s.

Well, okay. I just wasn't sure if "Cowabunga" had been copyrighted/trademarked or not. I guess not.

Edit:

I just searched for that word on Wikopedia, and it directed me to the Wiktionary entry about it. Here's what Wiktionary had to say about the etymology:

Unknown, but was popularized (as Kowa-Bunga) by Chief Thunderthud on the American children's show Howdy Doody in the late 1940s or early 1950s, became associated with American surfing culture, and was revived and standardized in its current spelling by the American cartoon Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in the late 1980s and early 1990s. (For further treatment, see here.)

/end

Written By: Retrolover on 08/07/19 at 3:11 pm

Well, okay. I just wasn't sure if "Cowabunga" had been copyrighted/trademarked or not. I guess not.

Edit:

I just searched for that word on Wikopedia, and it directed me to the Wiktionary entry about it. Here's what Wiktionary had to say about the etymology:

Unknown, but was popularized (as Kowa-Bunga) by Chief Thunderthud on the American children's show Howdy Doody in the late 1940s or early 1950s, became associated with American surfing culture, and was revived and standardized in its current spelling by the American cartoon Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in the late 1980s and early 1990s. (For further treatment, see here.)

/end

The Mid 80s = New and improved early 60s
The Late 80s = New and improved mid 60s
The Early 90s = New and improved late 60s
The Mid 90s = New and improved early 70s
The late 90s = New and improved core 70s

That’s basically it.

Written By: nally on 12/18/19 at 6:44 pm

And yesterday marked 30 years since the Simpsons premiered as a standalone show!

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/20/20 at 8:37 pm

And yesterday marked 30 years since the Simpsons premiered as a standalone show!

Actually, The Simpsons became 30 last month. The Christmas Special ordered for the 1994 syndication season was the one Fox played in December of 1990, not December of 1989. The Christmas Special was originally a television spectacular and nothing else. Bart the Genius was the pilot, but The Christmas Special was renamed Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire and shown first for the 1994 syndication package.

Written By: nally on 02/21/20 at 12:45 am

Actually, The Simpsons became 30 last month. The Christmas Special ordered for the 1994 syndication season was the one Fox played in December of 1990, not December of 1989. The Christmas Special was originally a television spectacular and nothing else. Bart the Genius was the pilot, but The Christmas Special was renamed Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire and shown first for the 1994 syndication package.

Hmmm, I don't remember a Christmas special in December of 1990. I could have sworn "Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire" was the first episode ever shown.

However, I do remember the series as a whole going into syndication in 1994. Perhaps they held that episode at first due to the holiday nature of it?

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/21/20 at 8:45 am

Hmmm, I don't remember a Christmas special in December of 1990. I could have sworn "Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire" was the first episode ever shown.

However, I do remember the series as a whole going into syndication in 1994. Perhaps they held that episode at first due to the holiday nature of it?

FOX showed a repeat of The Simpsons Christmas Special in 1990 (the same year the book of The Simpsons Christmas Special was released).

I think Matt Groening wanted The Simpsons Christmas Special to be the first episode since The Christmas Special aired before Bart the Genius. The Christmas Special was supposed to appear late in the first season, after Bart the Genius.

So, before 1994, Bart the Genius was the pilot episode. After 1994, Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire became “the pilot”. Technically, Bart the Genius is still the pilot episode.

Written By: nally on 02/21/20 at 6:12 pm

FOX showed a repeat of The Simpsons Christmas Special in 1990 (the same year the book of The Simpsons Christmas Special was released).

I think Matt Groening wanted The Simpsons Christmas Special to be the first episode since The Christmas Special aired before Bart the Genius. The Christmas Special was supposed to appear late in the first season, after Bart the Genius.

So, before 1994, Bart the Genius was the pilot episode. After 1994, Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire became “the pilot”. Technically, Bart the Genius is still the pilot episode.

But wasn't "...on an Open Fire" the first episode ever shown? And then "Bart The Genius"?

Edit:
However, when I look at Bart The Genius on Wiki, there is a note that "It is ... the show's first normal episode, as well as the first to feature the iconic opening sequence."

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/21/20 at 6:41 pm

But wasn't "...on an Open Fire" the first episode ever shown? And then "Bart The Genius"?

Edit:
However, when I look at Bart The Genius on Wiki, there is a note that "It is ... the show's first normal episode, as well as the first to feature the iconic opening sequence."

The Simpsons Christmas Special was shown in 1989 as a stand-alone Christmas special. Bart the Genius was the first one ever shown.

The Wikipedia editor is looking at the whole thing from a post-1994 perspective. Bart the Genius was intended to be the pilot to The Simpsons, not The Christmas Special from ‘89.

Written By: nally on 02/21/20 at 6:43 pm

The Simpsons Christmas Special was shown in 1989 as a stand-alone Christmas special. Bart the Genius was the first one ever shown.

The Wikipedia editor is looking at the whole thing from a post-1994 perspective. Bart the Genius was intended to be the pilot to The Simpsons, not The Christmas Special from ‘89.

Okay. I gotcha now. Thanks for clarifying. O0

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/21/20 at 7:12 pm

Okay. I gotcha now. Thanks for clarifying. O0

Americans saw Bart the Genius as the pilot in 1990. Times have since changed.

Written By: nally on 02/21/20 at 9:25 pm

Americans saw Bart the Genius as the pilot in 1990. Times have since changed.

I have seen that episode several times myself.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/22/20 at 4:29 pm

I have seen that episode several times myself.

Outside of the opening and Bart going to a different class, it wasn’t as memorable as The Simpsons Christmas Special. I love the animation and cartoon style.

Written By: nally on 02/22/20 at 9:01 pm

Outside of the opening and Bart going to a different class, it wasn’t as memorable as The Simpsons Christmas Special. I love the animation and cartoon style.

I kinda liked it too, at the time.

There have been other Christmas-themed episodes since then. Did you like any of those?

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/22/20 at 10:43 pm

I kinda liked it too, at the time.

There have been other Christmas-themed episodes since then. Did you like any of those?

The last one I saw was Miracle on Evergreen Terrace. I love the 90s episodes.

Written By: nally on 02/23/20 at 4:00 pm

The last one I saw was Miracle on Evergreen Terrace. I love the 90s episodes.

I seen that one maybe once or twice; didn't exactly care for it, overall.

There was one episode from late 2000, "Skinner's Sense Of Snow", which may or may not be considered a Christmas-themed episode per se (based on one's point of view), but it does take place shortly before said holiday. So maybe it is actually a holiday episode after all. I found it kinda funny in a sense, with the kids of Springfield Elementary protesting Principal Skinner detaining them inside the building with the potential of missing the holiday.
The kids ultimately get the upper hand on Principal Skinner, go through their private records, and make a mess out of the school... while in the B-plot, Homer and Ned Flanders attempt to rescue the kids, which doesn't go exactly as planned...until they inadvertently knock over a silo filled with salt...which slides down the snowy hill towards the school, bursts, and melts the snow surrounding the school building so that the children can all finally get out of the building and go home.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/23/20 at 5:52 pm

I seen that one maybe once or twice; didn't exactly care for it, overall.

There was one episode from late 2000, "Skinner's Sense Of Snow", which may or may not be considered a Christmas-themed episode per se (based on one's point of view), but it does take place shortly before said holiday. So maybe it is actually a holiday episode after all. I found it kinda funny in a sense, with the kids of Springfield Elementary protesting Principal Skinner detaining them inside the building with the potential of missing the holiday.
The kids ultimately get the upper hand on Principal Skinner, go through their private records, and make a mess out of the school... while in the B-plot, Homer and Ned Flanders attempt to rescue the kids, which doesn't go exactly as planned...until they inadvertently knock over a silo filled with salt...which slides down the snowy hill towards the school, bursts, and melts the snow surrounding the school building so that the children can all finally get out of the building and go home.

I enjoyed Marge Not Be Proud, also. I get a kick out of seeing Sonic, Super Mario, Super Luigi, Donkey Kong, and Lee Carvallos along with the games lined up like they were in the 80s, 90s, and 2000s in Matt Groening’s style.

Written By: nally on 02/23/20 at 10:48 pm

I enjoyed Marge Not Be Proud, also. I get a kick out of seeing Sonic, Super Mario, Super Luigi, Donkey Kong, and Lee Carvallos along with the games lined up like they were in the 80s, 90s, and 2000s in Matt Groening’s style.

Yeah, that was the one with "Bonestorm", a beat-em-up video game based on (and possibly inspired by) Mortal Kombat, which was big in 1995 (the year that said episode aired). Those classic video game characters (who appear in Bart's conscience to convince him to shoplift a copy of it) - where did the producers get the rights to include those characters? Aren't they copyrighted by Nintendo, and in Sonic's case, Sega? Would Nintendo and Sega have to authorize permission for the Simpsons production team to use those characters?

(One other note: Lee Carvallos, by the way, was a character in a golf video game that is exclusive to the show, just like Bonestorm. In fact, Lee Carvallos is said to be based on real-life professional golfer Lee Trevino.)

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/24/20 at 2:59 pm

Yeah, that was the one with "Bonestorm", a beat-em-up video game based on (and possibly inspired by) Mortal Kombat, which was big in 1995 (the year that said episode aired). Those classic video game characters (who appear in Bart's conscience to convince him to shoplift a copy of it) - where did the producers get the rights to include those characters? Aren't they copyrighted by Nintendo, and in Sonic's case, Sega? Would Nintendo and Sega have to authorize permission for the Simpsons production team to use those characters?

(One other note: Lee Carvallos, by the way, was a character in a golf video game that is exclusive to the show, just like Bonestorm. In fact, Lee Carvallos is said to be based on real-life professional golfer Lee Trevino.)

I have no idea how The Simpsons production team was able to use those video game characters, but I loved all of the 80s and early to mid 90s pop culture references used in the 90s episodes of The Simpsons. Some of the ones from the 2000s were okay too.

“Remember ALF? He’s back…in POG form.”

Check for new replies or respond here...