inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: One Sweet Day is no longer the longest running standing record top the charts

Written By: Si_1997 on 07/29/19 at 9:03 pm

Basically One Sweet Day by Mariah and Boyz II Men has remained the longest standing song to ever top the charts at number one for 16 consecutive weeks back in 1995 AND 1996. No one has ever topped this song until now !!! It has been replace by Lil Nas X’s “Old Town Road”. How do you guys feel about this huge transition in musical history  ?

Subject: Re: One Sweet Day is no longer the longest running standing record top the charts

Written By: Retrolover on 07/29/19 at 10:06 pm

Mariah teaming up with Boys II Men was one of the biggest mid 90s events to children and teens in 1995.

Where will Lil Nas X be in another five or six years? That is the question. For all we know, Lil Nas X could be a one hit wonder.

“Old Town Road” is overplayed and “One Sweet Day” isn’t timeless R&B, but it’s good R&B nonetheless.

I don’t care for either songs really.

Subject: Re: One Sweet Day is no longer the longest running standing record top the charts

Written By: Si_1997 on 07/29/19 at 11:15 pm

I agree !! I feel One Sweet Day is still such a classic. It just shows how our music is kind of evolving (or not). I mean Lil Nas X’s song is so repetitive with little meaning compared to One Sweet Day.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/14/19 at 7:09 am

One Sweet Day is overrated and I'm a Mariah fan. Personally, Fantasy and Always Be My Baby are better songs by Mariah! Just my two cents.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/22/19 at 9:34 am

One Sweet Day is overrated and I'm a Mariah fan. Personally, Fantasy and Always Be My Baby are better songs by Mariah! Just my two cents.

From where I stand, some of Mariah’s work like “Hero” and “Fantasy” from the mid 90s was overrated. “Always Be My Baby” was different from her work in the early 90s like “Vision of Love” and “Emotions”.

Written By: Si_1997 on 08/23/19 at 1:45 am

From where I stand, some of Mariah’s work like “Hero” and “Fantasy” from the mid 90s was overrated. “Always Be My Baby” was different from her work in the early 90s like “Vision of Love” and “Emotions”.

I feel like Butterfly and Forever were two underrated songs as well as Breakdown. Her Butterfly album was my fav. I have it on binyl and CD. Daydream was good too and the ballads were amazing.

Written By: Si_1997 on 08/23/19 at 1:50 am

I agree, Tbh Butterfly didn’t get much recognition either. I feel like that song was more stronger than One Sweet Day. My fav Mariah songs are Honey, My All, Always be my baby, Fantasy(ODB version is just so much fun !), Butterfly, Forever, Open Arms, Breakdown, etc . I have every single album from vision of Love to the emancipation of mimi. I didn’t like her early 2000s/late 2000’s stuff all that much.

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/27/19 at 11:31 pm

"From where I stand, some of Mariah’s work like “Hero” and “Fantasy” from the mid 90s was overrated. “Always Be My Baby” was different from her work in the early 90s like “Vision of Love” and “Emotions”."

I agree, I really liked her first two albums.  Music Box is a mixed bag and the last thing I care for by her.  It's similar with many other artists.  I like their earlier raw material.  Once it starts to get polished and overproduced I don't care for it as much.

"One Sweet Day" was played constantly when I was in college and I remember them saying how it broke the record.  Was one of the favorite songs of a girl I pined for for 2 years but she wouldn't bite.  I learned to play the song but never really cared for it that much.

I have no idea about this new song that broke the record.  To me music from 10 years ago is new enough.

Check for new replies or respond here...