inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1997 is a Core 90s/Y2K hybrid!

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 07/30/19 at 2:56 am

I know there are already lots of topics like this on this forum, and I'm not trying to start decadeology here, but the fact is, 1997 is still part of the core 90s, although it's yet to be part of the Y2K era.

Reasons why 1997 is part of the core 90s:
-Shows like Friends, TGIF, X Files, Boy Meets World, and others are still on their prime age
-Post-Grunge songs like Semi-Charmed Life, MMMBop, Everlong, Sex and Candy, TubThumping, and more are very popular
-The typical 90s Hip Hop/R&B sounds are implemented in songs like No Diggity, Too Close, I want you back, Together Again, I'll be missing you, 4 seasons of loneliness, and Never Ever
-Cartoons like Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Laboratory, Beavis And Butthead, Rugrats, and the Simpsons were still popular, even though they were released anywhere between 1988 to 1995
-Movies like Space Jam, Titanic, Mr. Bean, and others still feel core 90s, without that Y2K futurism or feel.
-Eurodance was still popular, even though the stupid yet funny song Barbie Girl was popular
-People still owned the Super Nintendo, while PS1 continued gaining stream
-Windows 95 was still popular
-Movie Posters still had that Grunge aesthetic, black background, bloody red text.

Factors that makes 1997 having Y2K elements:
-Grunge fashion was completely killed by metallic Y2K fashion
-Teen pop starts with Backstreet Boys, NSync, Hanson, and Spice Girls
-Shows like Daria, King of the hill, South Park, and Recess became very popular
-Alongside the typical 90s R&B Hip Hop sound, Pop R&B also becomes popular with the Y2K sounds thanks to songs like You Make Me Wanna, Honey, I Can Love You, G.H.E.T.T.O.U.T, etc.
-The Y2K aesthetic slowly becomes popular in music videos
-Y2K movies like Men In Black, Starship Troopers, Gattaca, etc.
-Games like Tomb Raider 2, GoldenEye 007, Crash Bandicoot, Fallout 1, Castlevania, etc. Were popular
-Multiple 90s shows like Fresh Prince of Bel-air, Family Matters, and a lot of other shows ended or got cancelled
-Tamagotchi
-Nintendo 64 gains popularity
-The Shiny-suit rap era starts, as gangsta rap ends with Tupac's death in '96

Subject: Re: 1997 is a Core 90s/Y2K hybrid!

Written By: Si_1997 on 07/31/19 at 9:54 pm

P. Diddy produced some really good hits in 1997 for the hip hop genre with Honey, Can’t Nobody Hold Me Down, Tell me What you want (mase), Hypnotized, Mo money mo problems, etc. He created a sound that would linger on into the early 2000’s. I call it the drop top aesthetic in hip hop. In 1999 the bling bling era in hip hop started which ended gangsta rap. I feel like it died in 1997 when Biggie died, songs from All eyes on me were still being released in ‘97 such as “To live and die in LA”...Songs like “Bling Bling” by Cash money started a new sound in 1999 which created that y2k aesthetic.

I also think that 1997 was core 90’s. Backstreet boys first album could be considered millennial or gen X. Some songs released on that album were recorded in 1994 such as “I’ll never break your heart” released in 1997. It sounds very 90’s more so than teen pop-ish.
Aaliyah’s One in a million album was released in August of ‘96 and the singles on that album were released from July of 1996 to September  1997 and the songs sound more 2000’s ish than 90’s minus “The one I gave my heart to” released in 1997.

Britney’s song “From the bottom of my broken heart” released in late 1999 /early 2000 sounds really 90’s too.

As for fashion, clothing from the mid 90’s was still being worn in the early 2000’s such as CK overalls, oversized jerseys and sweater, mom jeans were still being worn but they were being replaced with high rise boot cut jeans/flared jeans, brown lip stick/lip liner was big in the late 90’s- early 2000’s. Leather pants and metallic vinyl coats were a big trend from 1999-2002. My mom had like 10 pairs from Gap.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 08/01/19 at 12:52 am

P. Diddy produced some really good hits in 1997 for the hip hop genre with Honey, Can’t Nobody Hold Me Down, Tell me What you want (mase), Hypnotized, Mo money mo problems, etc. He created a sound that would linger on into the early 2000’s. I call it the drop top aesthetic in hip hop. In 1999 the bling bling era in hip hop started which ended gangsta rap. I feel like it died in 1997 when Biggie died, songs from All eyes on me were still being released in ‘97 such as “To live and die in LA”...Songs like “Bling Bling” by Cash money started a new sound in 1999 which created that y2k aesthetic.

I also think that 1997 was core 90’s. Backstreet boys first album could be considered millennial or gen X. Some songs released on that album were recorded in 1994 such as “I’ll never break your heart” released in 1997. It sounds very 90’s more so than teen pop-ish.
Aaliyah’s One in a million album was released in August of ‘96 and the singles on that album were released from July of 1996 to September  1997 and the songs sound more 2000’s ish than 90’s minus “The one I gave my heart to” released in 1997.

Britney’s song “From the bottom of my broken heart” released in late 1999 /early 2000 sounds really 90’s too.

As for fashion, clothing from the mid 90’s was still being worn in the early 2000’s such as CK overalls, oversized jerseys and sweater, mom jeans were still being worn but they were being replaced with high rise boot cut jeans/flared jeans, brown lip stick/lip liner was big in the late 90’s- early 2000’s. Leather pants and metallic vinyl coats were a big trend from 1999-2002. My mom had like 10 pairs from Gap.

Great explanation! I love how much you know so much about the Late 90s and Y2K era, it's more detailed and easy to know

Written By: Si_1997 on 08/01/19 at 1:49 am

Yeah my clearest early childhood memories took place in 2000. That was the first birthday I remember too. My earliiest introduction to pop culture took place in the y2k era and I’m so nostalgic for that time. I still have my hit clip collection from 2002 and my izone camera I got for Christmas in 2000. I really miss those times. I was in pre k in 2000-2001 and elementary in 2002-2007. Some of the best childhood memories of my life were from 2000-2005.I miss the sound, music and kid culture of the new millennium. Ugghh what a time to be alive. I know a lot in retrospect mainly because I lived it. You’re always gonna be exposed to some of the culture that you were born in during early childhood. I identify myself as a y2k kid since I was to young for real 90’s culture.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 08/01/19 at 5:52 pm

Yeah my clearest early childhood memories took place in 2000. That was the first birthday I remember too. My earliiest introduction to pop culture took place in the y2k era and I’m so nostalgic for that time. I still have my hit clip collection from 2002 and my izone camera I got for Christmas in 2000. I really miss those times. I was in pre k in 2000-2001 and elementary in 2002-2007. Some of the best childhood memories of my life were from 2000-2005.I miss the sound, music and kid culture of the new millennium. Ugghh what a time to be alive. I know a lot in retrospect mainly because I lived it. You’re always gonna be exposed to some of the culture that you were born in during early childhood. I identify myself as a y2k kid since I was to young for real 90’s culture.

Nicee, you must be a big fan of Y2K culture then! Fun fact, my bathroom has the Y2K aesthetic, white counters, metallic sinks, and bright blue towels/bath curtains

Written By: Si_1997 on 08/01/19 at 7:36 pm

Nicee, you must be a big fan of Y2K culture then! Fun fact, my bathroom has the Y2K aesthetic, white counters, metallic sinks, and bright blue towels/bath curtains

That’s so cute !! During that time everyone had black leather couches in their living room too 😂 my bathroom is very 80’s lol.  All your bathroom needs is cucumber melon hand soap from bath and body works and you’d bring back so much nostalgia 😭😭

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 08/02/19 at 12:23 pm

That’s so cute !! During that time everyone had black leather couches in their living room too 😂 my bathroom is very 80’s lol.  All your bathroom needs is cucumber melon hand soap from bath and body works and you’d bring back so much nostalgia 😭😭

Ahh I see, I like the Y2K aesthetic because it looks so cool and futuristic, it's close to minimalism imo

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 08/10/19 at 3:15 pm

I guess the 1997 Y2K/90s vibe started in Fall 1996 and lasted through August 1998, until Fall 1998 when Y2K culture takes over core 90s culture in popularity.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 09/24/19 at 1:26 am

Oh, I forgot to add one more factor, slow R&B! This was dominant in late 1997 with Aaliyah, Boyz II men, Usher, LeAnn Rimes, Mariah Carey, etc. Slow R&B is soo 90s, and I was shocked by how the Billboard hot 100 chart in November 1997 that slow R&B was everywhere! Compare it to Whitney Houston's 1993 Hit I will always love you, and listen to how similar it is. Sorry if I'm being kind of annoying or repetitive with the 1997 stuff, it just seems like a very interesting and fun year.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 09/24/19 at 7:44 pm

Oh, I forgot to add one more factor, slow R&B! This was dominant in late 1997 with Aaliyah, Boyz II men, Usher, LeAnn Rimes, Mariah Carey, etc. Slow R&B is soo 90s, and I was shocked by how the Billboard hot 100 chart in November 1997 that slow R&B was everywhere! Compare it to Whitney Houston's 1993 Hit I will always love you, and listen to how similar it is. Sorry if I'm being kind of annoying or repetitive with the 1997 stuff, it just seems like a very interesting and fun year.

Ehh I feel like Breakdown by Mariah Carey, Nice and Slow by Usher and All My Life by K-Ci and Jojo (both recorded in 1997) sound very late 90’s. Where as Next’s “Too close” released in 1997 and Butterfly by Mariah Carey sounds super freaking 90’s. Le Anne rhymes always strikes me as late 90’s. Songs like “My All by Mariah Carey and Celine Dion’s “My heart will go on” sound late 90’s. Brandy’s “Have you ever” sounds mid late 90’s as well. I think in general 1997 is a pure 90’s year but 1998 was the start of new 2000’s culture. I don’t remember anything pre 1999 or 2000 so I don’t have a say but when I look at pictures of myself and family from 1997 and I see adults wearing overalls it just seems so much more 90’s.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/26/19 at 1:47 pm

No, not really. As I mentioned in the other topic, 1997 was super 90s. If there were any Y2K vibes, it would have been minimal.

TV shows such as Baywatch, Boy Meets World, Sister, Sister, BH 90210, Home Improvement, Family Matters, Walker, Texas Ranger, Fraisier, Seinfeld, etc. were still on the air along with 7th Heaven, Friends, Ally McBeal, Buffy, Daria, King of the Hill, South Park and so on.

In the music business, there was barely any teen pop. Hip-Hop were stlll mainly pop-rap, the West-coast scene and East-coast scene. the Southern Hip-hop scene has just began in the mianstream. For R&B, it came in various forms, not just the pop version of it. There was the ballads, Neo-soul, and Hip-hop soul. Country music was still popular during this time too. I don't know why this always forgotten. Rock wasn't Alternative Rock/Post-Grunge, it was also pop-rock, skate punk, and heavy metal too. Plus, the most prominent genre of the era, adult contemporary, was still the primary in music.

Fashion: Hip-hop fashion with Baggy apparel, the Grunge appearance, Disney/Looney Tunes gear, Goth, and overalls were still kings. For hair, people even wore ponytails, bangs, box braids, bowl cuts, dookie braids, curtained hair and flattops during that year.

In video games, the 5th generation was dominant with competition between PS1, Sega Saturn, and N64. However, the 4th generation consoles still released games and were in production. Plus, It was common to always find 4th generations game in stores alongside the 5th Gen ones.

In technology, internet use was 22%, so most of the public did not have access. As for people who did have internet though, it would be at least once a week or one-three times a month. Most people still used landlines or payphones to contact family, friends, co-workers, and acquaintances. There was generally no way to go ahold of them if something went wrong unless one had those expensive cell phones.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 09/26/19 at 3:41 pm

No, not really. As I mentioned in the other topic, 1997 was super 90s. If there were any Y2K vibes, it would have been minimal.

TV shows such as Baywatch, Boy Meets World, Sister, Sister, BH 90210, Home Improvement, Family Matters, Walker, Texas Ranger, Fraisier, Seinfeld, etc. were still on the air along with 7th Heaven, Friends, Ally McBeal, Buffy, Daria, King of the Hill, South Park and so on.

In the music business, there was barely any teen pop. Hip-Hop were stlll mainly pop-rap, the West-coast scene and East-coast scene. the Southern Hip-hop scene has just began in the mianstream. For R&B, it came in various forms, not just the pop version of it. There was the ballads, Neo-soul, and Hip-hop soul. Country music was still popular during this time too. I don't know why this always forgotten. Rock wasn't Alternative Rock/Post-Grunge, it was also pop-rock, skate punk, and heavy metal too. Plus, the most prominent genre of the era, adult contemporary, was still the primary in music.

Fashion: Hip-hop fashion with Baggy apparel, the Grunge appearance, Disney/Looney Tunes gear, Goth, and overalls were still kings. For hair, people even wore ponytails, bangs, box braids, bowl cuts, dookie braids, curtained hair and flattops during that year.

In video games, the 5th generation was dominant with competition between PS1, Sega Saturn, and N64. However, the 4th generation consoles still released games and were in production. Plus, It was common to always find 4th generations game in stores alongside the 5th Gen ones.

In technology, internet use was 22%, so most of the public did not have access. As for people who did have internet though, it would be at least once a week or one-three times a month. Most people still used landlines or payphones to contact family, friends, co-workers, and acquaintances. There was generally no way to go ahold of them if something went wrong unless one had those expensive cell phones.

Great explanation! Although I'd have to take off a few points. With fashion, 1997 was already Y2K metallic, according to John Titor. The internet was already very popular in late 1996, so it would be in everyone's radar. Teen pop skyrocketed in popularity around May/June 1997, with Hanson, BSB, NSync, and Spice Girls. Overall, great explanation!  :)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/26/19 at 4:08 pm

Great explanation! Although I'd have to take off a few points. With fashion, 1997 was already Y2K metallic, according to John Titor. The internet was already prevalent in late 1996, so it would be in everyone's radar. Teen pop skyrocketed in popularity around May/June 1997, with Hanson, BSB, NSync, and Spice Girls. Overall, great explanation!  :)
I appreciate it. Yeah, I think some people exaggerate how Y2K 1997 was and forget that there was still a ton of 90s trends that would have disappeared by 2000 or '01.

Well, I'm sorry. That user is wrong. Yes, there was a metallic fashion during that period. However, that person forgot the Baggy apparel, the Grunge appearance, Disney/Looney Tunes gear and Goth outfits that were still popular then.

As for teen pop, it's the same thing. Yes, they were famous, but among who though? The general musical scene, even in 1997, as well as the rest of the late 90s, was practically adult contemporary along with Hip-hop, Grunge/Alt-Rock, Electronic music, country and other kinds of music.

Written By: Dj. on 09/26/19 at 9:29 pm

it was both, i remember that year like yesterday and Y2K did take off during the autumn of that year

Written By: mc98 on 09/27/19 at 7:39 am

1997 has too many core 90s trends to be considered Y2K. There were people that were still wearing Flannel, Mom Jeans, Long Curtained hair, and dark lip stick. This year did make Teen Pop popular but there are other genres that are dominating the music scene. You got Post-Grunge songs in heavy 90s vibe such as The Freshman, If You Could Only See, Semi Charmed Life. The Adult Contemporary ballads were still playing on the radio such as How Do I Live.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 09/27/19 at 8:38 am

1997 has too many core 90s trends to be considered Y2K. There were people that were still wearing Flannel, Mom Jeans, Long Curtained hair, and dark lip stick. This year did make Teen Pop popular but there are other genres that are dominating the music scene. You got Post-Grunge songs in heavy 90s vibe such as The Freshman, If You Could Only See, Semi Charmed Life. The Adult Contemporary ballads were still playing on the radio such as How Do I Live.

Well said! I guess you could say 1997 was the peak year of the 90s

Written By: mc98 on 09/27/19 at 11:16 am

Well said! I guess you could say 1997 was the peak year of the 90s

Although there were songs from 1997 that felt removed from the mid 90s such as:

Barbie Girl
Mo Money Mo Problems
You Make Me Wanna
Wannabe
Quit Playing Games With My Heart
I Want You
How Bizarre (Although released in 1995, it sounds more late 90s)
Tubthumping
Show Me Love
MMMBop
Do You Know What It Takes
Fly
Walkin On The Sun
Say You’ll Be There

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 09/28/19 at 3:18 pm

I also noticed how New Jack Swingy Backstreet Boys and Nsync's first hits sounded in 1997, I want you back is very New Jack Swingy. Listen to Tearin' Up My Heart by NSync, and notice how similar it sounds to Something in common by Bobby Brown and Whitney Houston, 1993. Mmmbop doesnt sound Y2K either, even though it's by Hanson.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/29/19 at 6:13 am

Barbie Girl
Mo Money Mo Problems
You Make Me Wanna
Wannabe
I Want You
Tubthumping
Show Me Love
MMMBop
Fly
Walkin On The Sun
Say You’ll Be There
Here is the UK, "Wannabe" was released the previous year, so we had more time to find it annoying.

Written By: violet_shy on 09/29/19 at 7:34 am

1997 was more "core" 90s....even early 1998. Things started to feel different in 1999.

In '97 I was 16-17, and it felt a lot like 1996.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 10/05/19 at 3:40 am

1997 was more "core" 90s....even early 1998. Things started to feel different in 1999.

In '97 I was 16-17, and it felt a lot like 1996.

Ahh I see, when did the Y2K era start for you?

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 10/05/19 at 11:59 pm

Barbie Girl
Mo Money Mo Problems
You Make Me Wanna
Wannabe
I Want You
Tubthumping
Show Me Love
MMMBop
Fly
Walkin On The Sun
Say You’ll Be There

Barbie Girl, Tubthumping, and MMMBop dont sound Y2K to me in my opinion...

Written By: mc98 on 10/06/19 at 2:02 am

Barbie Girl, Tubthumping, and MMMBop dont sound Y2K to me in my opinion...

They all sound late 90s. MMMBop has Grunge-y elements but still Teen pop. Barbie Girl has that bubblegum sound that is more on par with Vengaboys and Eiffel 65 rather than Real Mccoy and La Bouche, which both have the darker classic Eurodance sound. Tubthumping has a more upbeat and cheerful sound than most of the rock in the mid 90s. They are not Y2K but they are stylistically late 90s.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 10/06/19 at 1:37 pm

They all sound late 90s. MMMBop has Grunge-y elements but still Teen pop. Barbie Girl has that bubblegum sound that is more on par with Vengaboys and Eiffel 65 rather than Real Mccoy and La Bouche, which both have the darker classic Eurodance sound. Tubthumping has a more upbeat and cheerful sound than most of the rock in the mid 90s. They are not Y2K but they are stylistically late 90s.

Exactly what I was trying to say, they sound late 90s but not Y2K.

Written By: mc98 on 10/06/19 at 1:51 pm

Exactly what I was trying to say, they sound late 90s but not Y2K.

Here's how I break down the Y2K era:

1998/99 (Late 1998/early 1999): Leans more late 90s.
1999/00 (Late 1999/early 2000): Quintessential Y2K.
2000/01 (Late 2000/early 2001): Leans more early 2000s.

Written By: 2001 on 10/06/19 at 2:10 pm

"Mid-90s" doesn't really exist imo. There's a 1992/3-1995/6 grungy SNES/Genesis era and a 1995/6-1998/9ish PlayStation and Windows 95 Y2K build-up era. There's no clean break between the two, just a culture with two distinct peaks but very related to each other. I think the same can be said for the 2010s.

1997 is just way too futuristic to be lumped in with the rest of the mid-90s. My dial up and Super Mario 64 people know what I'm talking about.

Written By: mc98 on 10/06/19 at 2:16 pm

"Mid-90s" doesn't really exist imo. There's a 1992/3-1995/6 grungy SNES/Genesis era and a 1995/6-1998/9ish PlayStation and Windows 95 Y2K build-up era. There's no clean break between the two, just a culture with two distinct peaks but very related to each other. I think the same can be said for the 2010s.

Interesting take. I would extend the 90s like 1991/2-1995/6 and 1995/6-1999/00ish.

Written By: 2001 on 10/06/19 at 2:18 pm

Interesting take. I would extend the 90s like 1991/2-1995/6 and 1995/6-1999/00ish.

I didn't want Early90sGuy to @ me so I only reluctantly added 1992 even though that year looks super 90s to me  ;D

Written By: mc98 on 10/06/19 at 2:22 pm

I didn't want Early90sGuy to @ me so I only reluctantly added 1992 even though that year looks super 90s to me  ;D

I include late 91 because that's the time the Grunge movement started. Don't worry, Early90sGuy is not here to say that 1978 is the start of the 80s and the the entire 80s decade were fillers just to get to 1990.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 10/06/19 at 5:29 pm

I include late 91 because that's the time the Grunge movement started. Don't worry, Early90sGuy is not here to say that 1978 is the start of the 80s and the the entire 80s decade were fillers just to get to 1990.

According to #Infinity, she said that 1980 was mainly a late 70s extension, and 1981 was the true start of the 80s, and the 90s started in late 1991

Written By: mc98 on 10/06/19 at 5:43 pm

According to #Infinity, she said that 1980 was mainly a late 70s extension, and 1981 was the true start of the 80s, and the 90s started in late 1991

If you look at older posts, there was a user named Early90sGuy. He basically thinks that 1978 is the start of the 80s and 1990 was the peak of the 90s. The entire 80s decade existed just to get to 1990 according to him. Go to page 33 on the 1990s board and take a look at what he posted.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/14/19 at 8:05 pm

The 1996-97 school year was like a hybrid. P. Diddy made his debut and songs like "No Diggity" by Backstreet were becoming popular, and less alternative/grunge. Since I graduated high school in '97 and joined the Navy later that year, that could be why I especially perceive it as being changeful into the Y2K era.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 10/19/19 at 8:54 pm

The 1996-97 school year was like a hybrid. P. Diddy made his debut and songs like "No Diggity" by Backstreet were becoming popular, and less alternative/grunge. Since I graduated high school in '97 and joined the Navy later that year, that could be why I especially perceive it as being changeful into the Y2K era.

What about the 1997-1998 school year? What did it feel like?

Check for new replies or respond here...