inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: American Gladiators or WWF/WCW

Written By: Retrolover on 08/07/19 at 1:08 pm

What would you watch if you were in the 90s right now? “American Gladiators” or “WWF” and “WCW”?

Subject: Re: American Gladiators or WWF/WCW

Written By: nally on 08/07/19 at 1:17 pm

Well, I watched American Gladiators semi-regularly in 1992. I thought it had an interesting premise. That's all.

WWF later got renamed WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment) in the early 2000s, since the "WWF" initialism was already used by the World Wildlife Fund (for Nature). (The whole story is listed here.)

Written By: Howard on 08/07/19 at 2:19 pm

What would you watch if you were in the 90s right now? “American Gladiators” or “WWF” and “WCW”?

Man is that even a question? I'd watch WWF/WCW anyday of the week.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/07/19 at 3:16 pm

Well, I watched American Gladiators semi-regularly in 1992. I thought it had an interesting premise. That's all.

WWF later got renamed WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment) in the early 2000s, since the "WWF" initialism was already used by the World Wildlife Fund (for Nature). (The whole story is listed here.)

“American Gladiators” popped up when Hulkamania was taking over America. While “American Gladiators” was more successful than “Rollergames” and “WCW”, it failed to capture the WWF audience.

“American Gladiators” is more iconic in my eyes. “American Gladiators” was a product of its time and very cool to us living in that time. “WWF” (“WWE” to us now) was the survivor out of the two, though. TV watchers got amped watching “WWF” and “WCW” in the 90s. No one knew what to expect from “American Gladiators”. I imagine they’re both neat shows to sports fans.

Written By: nally on 08/07/19 at 10:44 pm

Well, I thought "AG" looked like an interesting show because of the contests/games involved. As well as the obstacle course at the end.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/07/19 at 10:55 pm

Well, I thought "AG" looked like an interesting show because of the contests/games involved. As well as the obstacle course at the end.

The toys looked nice at ToysRUs, also.

https://chrispearce.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/2551f3c7-02e8-40cd-acc2-39dcb9bea261-258-0000002630b382dc.jpg

Did you watch WMAC masters in the mid 90s like me?

Check for new replies or respond here...