inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Horribly Cheesy 90s Music Videos

Written By: Retrolover on 08/09/19 at 12:22 am

Name some music videos that were painfully cheesy.

R.E.M. - Shiny Happy People (1991)

YYOKMUTTDdA

This was after the B-52s had “Roam” and two years after “Stand” by R.E.M.. This is so 90s to Gen Xers. The music video is colorful and almost everything the people are doing in the video is in fast motion. That’s why I added this to my list. Is this a R.E.M. music video or an episode of “Parker Lewis Can’t Lose”. Odd.  :o

Joey Lawrence - Nothing My Love Can’t Fix (1993)

O7FtI3cmZ38

For those don’t know, Joey Lawrence was once a super popular celebrity with late Gen Xers and Xennials in the year 1992. The show, “Blossom”, that Joey Lawrence was on came after “The Fresh Prince of Bel Air” and it seemed like the most modern show on television to people my age then. NBC actors were releasing records in the early 90s like Jasmine Guy of “A Different World” fame and Will Smith as “The Fresh Prince”, so someone at NBC told Joey Lawrence to try the music business. Where do I start with this video?

Joey Lawrence has a sound like the Canadian rapper Snow, rapper Geraldo, the group Color Me Badd, Jeremy Jordan, and Rythm Syndicate combined for this song. With that said, the dancers in this video are too happy and there’s way too much fast motion shots going on. The music video for “Nothing My Love Can’t Fix” is the typical early ‘93 dance pop by a heartthrob video, but Joey Lawrence rarely dances in it. Joey Lawrence’s career as a singer was short lived, but this ever cheesy music video and song lives on in the 90s music video hall of shame for those of us who lived in that time. Embarrassing.  8-P

Subject: Re: Horribly Cheesy 90s Music Videos

Written By: violet_shy on 08/10/19 at 12:53 pm

Name some music videos that were painfully cheesy.

R.E.M. - Shiny Happy People (1991)

YYOKMUTTDdA

This was after the B-52s had “Roam” and two years after “Stand” by R.E.M.. This is so 90s to Gen Xers. The music video is colorful and almost everything the people are doing in the video is in fast motion. That’s why I added this to my list. Is this a R.E.M. music video or an episode of “Parker Lewis Can’t Lose”. Odd.  :o

Lol. I actually like this music video and song. I agree it's super cheesy!  ;D

Written By: Retrolover on 08/10/19 at 3:09 pm

Lol. I actually like this music video and song. I agree it's super cheesy!  ;D

It’s perfectly early 90s nonetheless. Just look at those clothes.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/10/19 at 9:40 pm

Joey Lawrence - Nothing My Love Can’t Fix (1993)

O7FtI3cmZ38

For those don’t know, Joey Lawrence was once a super popular celebrity with late Gen Xers and Xennials in the year 1992. The show, “Blossom”, that Joey Lawrence was on came after “The Fresh Prince of Bel Air” and it seemed like the most modern show on television to people my age then. NBC actors were releasing records in the early 90s like Jasmine Guy of “A Different World” fame and Will Smith as “The Fresh Prince”, so someone at NBC told Joey Lawrence to try the music business. Where do I start with this video?

Joey Lawrence has a sound like the Canadian rapper Snow, rapper Geraldo, the group Color Me Badd, Jeremy Jordan, and Rythm Syndicate combined for this song. With that said, the dancers in this video are too happy and there’s way too much fast motion shots going on. The music video for “Nothing My Love Can’t Fix” is the typical early ‘93 dance pop by a heartthrob video, but Joey Lawrence rarely dances in it. Joey Lawrence’s career as a singer was short lived, but this ever cheesy music video and song lives on in the 90s music video hall of shame for those of us who lived in that time. Embarrassing.  8-P

I'm sorry, but this was the jam back in Summer 1993! It looks and sounds cheesy now, but I remember all of the best radio stations playing this track that Summer. I think the reason we find it embarrassing now, is because music has evolved so much since 1993.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/11/19 at 8:38 am

I'm sorry, but this was the jam back in Summer 1993! It looks and sounds cheesy now, but I remember all of the best radio stations playing this track that Summer. I think the reason we find it embarrassing now, is because music has evolved so much since 1993.

Did you have a crush on Joey Lawrence from 1992 to 1994? Did it bother you when Joey didn’t go for Six on Blossom after Six developed?

Written By: Retrolover on 08/11/19 at 11:25 am

All of them here: https://mix108.com/top-10-cheesiest-music-videos-of-the-90s/

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 08/11/19 at 8:08 pm

ZyhrYis509A

MWAHAHAHA ;D ;D ;D

*Person sings Barbie Girl*
Person: IM A BARBIE GIRL IN A BAR-
Early2010sGuy: SHUT UP

Written By: Retrolover on 08/11/19 at 8:33 pm

ZyhrYis509A

MWAHAHAHA ;D ;D ;D

*Person sings Barbie Girl*
Person: IM A BARBIE GIRL IN A BAR-
Early2010sGuy: SHUT UP

In the late 90s, I remember seeing this video on MTV and thinking, “Where did that come from?”

This was just awful. So bad you couldn’t look away:

Eddie Murphy featuring Michael Jackson - Whatzupwitu (1993)

kMQ3jwqH_lU

Written By: Retrolover on 08/19/19 at 8:17 am

Michael Jackson - Black or White (1991)

https://voltrules.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/michael-jackson-black-or-white.jpg

At the time, in the fall of ‘91, the video for Michael’s hit song made sense. We were living in the early 90s when people want to seriously make a change to the world, but it looks badly dated nowadays. All of the smiling, people of different ethnicities coming together, Godley and Creme face morphing, video effects, the beginning with the Culkster and Norm, and lastly, Michael being an animorph like Snoop Dog in the “Gin and Juice” music video. It was too much going in that one music video. I laugh real hard at this video when I see it now.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...