inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 9/11 overshadowed '90s Terrorism.

Written By: exodus08 on 08/31/19 at 2:22 pm

Even though I was to young to remember event's like WTC bombing of '93 and Oklahoma city bombing of '95. Do people seem to forget about Terrorism that happened before 9/11?

Subject: Re: 9/11 overshadowed '90s Terrorism.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/19 at 2:25 pm

Even though I was to young to remember event's like WTC bombings of '93 and Oklahoma city bombings of '95. Do people seem to forget about Terrorism that happened before 9/11?
Terrorism, has happened many times before even the conflict with the Irish Republican Army in Northern Ireland, which produced 25 years of bloodshed in the UK.

Written By: Howard on 08/31/19 at 2:28 pm

Even though I was to young to remember event's like WTC bombings of '93 and Oklahoma city bombings of '95. Do people seem to forget about Terrorism that happened before 9/11?

Some people do, it might have happened in the 1980's too.

Written By: exodus08 on 08/31/19 at 2:39 pm

Terrorism, has happened many times before even the conflict with the Irish Republican Army in Northern Ireland, which produced 25 years of bloodshed in the UK.

Right I agree. People act like life ended after one event but forget about other events from before.

Written By: exodus08 on 08/31/19 at 2:40 pm

Some people do, it might have happened in the 1980's too.

It had. From the 80s and before.

Written By: exodus08 on 08/31/19 at 2:47 pm

I was watching a video on YouTube about Best songs from 2000 and people were saying it was the last good year before 9/11.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/31/19 at 3:55 pm

No, I don't think people forgot then, I think people forget NOW. People remembered terrorism that happened prior to 9/11 quite well in those days. Nowadays though, it happens so fast and furious, one mass shooting after another, that people,do forget. Or it has become normalized. It's too much to take in. What bugs me though, is how, whenever there is an act of terrorism, the media resorts to this cliche about how we have "lost our innocence" or "America has lost it's innocence". How many times are we gonna lose this imaginary "innocence"? People have been saying this since as far back as when John Kennedy was killed, which was probably the last legitimate time it made sense.

Written By: Si_1997 on 09/02/19 at 1:18 am

Right I agree. People act like life ended after one event but forget about other events from before.

It’s probably because of US centrism. For our country 9/11 changed a lot but I feel like it didn’t affect the entire country the way it did for those who lived in the east coast or knew someone. Those of us on the pacific coast weren’t really affected by it as much and we carried on with our dat to day lives.

Written By: Howard on 09/02/19 at 2:29 pm

It’s probably because of US centrism. For our country 9/11 changed a lot but I feel like it didn’t affect the entire country the way it did for those who lived in the east coast or knew someone. Those of us on the pacific coast weren’t really affected by it as much and we carried on with our dat to day lives.

And no one knew this was going to happen at all.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/10/19 at 10:54 am

Terrorism has been in existence for a long time, and is the use of intentional violence, generally against civilians, for political or religious purposes. And while I was offline, I was trying to work out the first true case of terrorism, and my conclusion was, known as "The Gunpowder Plot", when the plan was to blow up the House of Lords during the State Opening of Parliament on 5 November 1605. Led by Robert Catesby, a group of provincial English Catholics failed to assassinate King James I and the Protestant Parliament.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/10/19 at 4:20 pm

Even though I was to young to remember event's like WTC bombing of '93 and Oklahoma city bombing of '95. Do people seem to forget about Terrorism that happened before 9/11?
It is worth remembering the New IRA are still terrorising in Northern Ireland by planting car bombs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-49645178

Written By: GameXcaper on 09/21/19 at 2:40 am

I think the types of terrorism that were experienced are different. The 2000s mainly experienced foreign terrorism. There was a lot of terrorism during the 70s and the 90s. But most of it was domestic terrorism caused by radical-left wing groups or people who were unsatisfied with the government. The terrorism in the 2010s has been a mix of both domestic and foreign terrorism but mostly domestic and this time caused by right-wing groups. Especially with all the bombing and the record number of school shootings.

Check for new replies or respond here...