inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New Jack Swing or Pop R&B?

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 10/05/19 at 2:02 am

I'm not trying to start any decadeology here or anything, I'm just curious, in your opinion, what do you prefer? New Jack Swing (1987-1993) or Pop R&B? (1997-2002)

New Jack Swing songs: Poison, If It Isn't Love, Don't Be Cruel, Every Little Step, etc.

Pop R&B: No Scrubs, Unpretty, Independent Women Part 1, Love Don't cost a thing, I want it that way, etc.

Subject: Re: New Jack Swing or Pop R&B?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/05/19 at 2:25 am

Back then I prefer neither of these, I was content in listening to the Irish singer and composer Enya, I felt that she was changing the sound of music.

Written By: Criz on 10/06/19 at 2:48 pm

I like a bit of both - but I went for the latter option as I was a young teen when it was big rather than a child! :)

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 10/06/19 at 5:27 pm

I like a bit of both - but I went for the latter option as I was a young teen when it was big rather than a child! :)

Nice!

Written By: nally on 10/06/19 at 8:10 pm

I like a little of both too, personally speaking.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/06/19 at 8:19 pm

New Jack Swing for me. It was great music!

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 10/06/19 at 9:26 pm

New Jack Swing for me. It was great music!

Nice! I think New Jack Swing is more on dance and beats, while Pop R&B is more on the emotion and feeling.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/06/19 at 11:03 pm

Nice! I think New Jack Swing is more on dance and beats, while Pop R&B is more on the emotion and feeling.

I listened to a lot of NJS growing up. And Freestyle music also.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 10/07/19 at 2:26 am

I wasn’t alive when New Jack swing was a thing but Pop RNB was my childhood.

Right now I’m listening to “Bring it all to me” by Blaque feat Nsync. Usher’s 8701/confessions, Ashanti, Alicia Keys, Aaliyah, etc. gives me early childhood/ elementary  school nostalgia

Written By: Howard on 10/07/19 at 7:22 am

I'm not trying to start any decadeology here or anything, I'm just curious, in your opinion, what do you prefer? New Jack Swing (1987-1993) or Pop R&B? (1997-2002)

New Jack Swing songs: Poison, If It Isn't Love, Don't Be Cruel, Every Little Step, etc.

Pop R&B: No Scrubs, Unpretty, Independent Women Part 1, Love Don't cost a thing, I want it that way, etc.

I like a bit of both.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/14/19 at 8:01 pm

Overall, R&B of the late 90's. Jon B's "Cool Relax" is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 10/15/19 at 7:12 pm

Interesting how lots of people prefer Pop-R&B over New Jack Swing. Why is that?

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/21/19 at 11:55 pm

New Jack Swing all the way.  I was about 14 give or take and that was my coming of age in music.  I really don't care for the POP R&B described here.

Written By: robby76 on 11/15/19 at 4:33 am

I was kinda obsessed with both genres.

New Jack Swing has dated a little worse though. The 80s NJS that you mention is still okay, but the early 90s NJS has lost it's original appeal somewhat for me (acts like Guy, Jodeci).

If 90s Pop RnB means stuff like Brandy and Toni Braxton, then that definitely has stood the test of time.

Written By: LooseBolt on 11/22/19 at 7:21 pm

Hey look, we wouldn't have had that late '90s/Y2K era teen pop explosion if it were for New Jack Swing, so I gotta lean with that one.

Written By: piecesof93 on 11/22/19 at 10:38 pm

1997-2002

Written By: 3D Blast on 12/01/19 at 12:30 am

I'd choose New Jack Swing. A short lived genre, but it was a nice a fun upbeat tone for urban black music. I don't think we'd get another urban genre that gave off the same tone of New Jack swing. Or maybe I'm just not paying attention to the music genres we have now. NJS is my #1  favorite music genre and I own dozens upon dozens of albums due to my constant obsession for it.

Interesting how lots of people prefer Pop-R&B over New Jack Swing. Why is that?

My 2 cents is only about as worth much as $0.02, but from what I remember people were sick of New Jack Swing in the same way that they were sick of Disco. Some calling NJS a "commercialized form of urban music that misses the point" or "music that is outdated" with people only loving it because it's "so-bad-it's-good".

This is mainly what I've seen from other forums or comment sections. We're seeing more appreciate due to nostalgia, but even then the nostalgia for NJS isn't as high as the amount of nostalgia for 1990s Hip Hop or 1980s Synth tunes that you see all over the place (don't take this part as fact as I THINK I'm somewhat wrong here).

Meanwhile something like Pop R&B seems to have aged better, I guess. And continued to envolve while NJS was on the way out sometime around 1993-1994.  My 2 cents, however, meaning it's only about as worthwhile as it is fact. But I feel this is why more people would be willing to talk more about Pop R&B tracks over New Jack Swing ones.

Written By: Ripley on 03/07/20 at 4:38 pm

I love both but more so New Jack Swing 🖤

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/07/20 at 4:48 pm

New Jack Swing. On here was the only place I have ever heard of pop R&B. New Jack Swing has appeared in TV shows (A Different World), movies (New Jack City), music collection albums, internet articles, and books.

Check for new replies or respond here...