inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Retro futuristic songs of the early 90s?

Written By: imrane on 02/13/20 at 4:32 pm

There are a few early 90s songs that sound kinda like not belonging to their era. Extreme's "More Than Words" is both like a 70s song and ageless at the same time. Same for "There She Goes" by the Las, it's like a 60s/70s song, yet somehow still soubds fresh. "You Gotta Be" by Des'ree is also kinda hard to pinpoint in time (more of a mid 90s hit though). What gives?

Subject: Re: Retro futuristic songs of the early 90s?

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/13/20 at 5:23 pm

There are a few early 90s songs that sound kinda like not belonging to their era. Extreme's "More Than Words" is both like a 70s song and ageless at the same time. Same for "There She Goes" by the Las, it's like a 60s/70s song, yet somehow still soubds fresh. "You Gotta Be" by Des'ree is also kinda hard to pinpoint in time (more of a mid 90s hit though). What gives?

Sleeping satellite by Tasmin Archer. I was surprised to find it was from 1992. I never heard it until the late 90s and thought it sounded similar to some of the Sarah McLaughlin stuff that was out at the time.

Subject: Re: Retro futuristic songs of the early 90s?

Written By: imrane on 02/14/20 at 3:29 am

^Lol! You won't believe this but actually I thought about that song as well but decided not to include it in my OP as I try to write shorter posts. It's true, sounds hard to pinpoint it.

Also to me "Two Princes" by Spin Doctors sounded like a pop-rock effort from 1995-1999 when I first heard it in 2008. Almost "Green Dayish meets a boy band" in some parts. It's from 1993! :D

I guess some eras like the early 90s (and the early 80s*) are more experimental so they give rise to such songs.

*Haysi Fantayzee's "Shiny Shiny" looks almost like a late 80s/early 90s underground hit. Especially the video is like those underground videos from 1990-1993. Sorry to derail!

Check for new replies or respond here...