inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The First Season of The Simpsons

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/26/20 at 7:57 pm

Am I the only one who believes the first season of The Simpsons was an excellent depiction of living in the late 1980s. Happy Little Tree Elves (The Smurfs), America’s Most Armed and Dangerous (new show in the late 80s - America’s Most Wanted), Slugfest (new Nintendo game in the late 80s -Mike Tyson’s KO), Non-Threatening Boys (Tiger Beat with The Corey), and Krusty (Bozo the Clown was back in the late 80s and early 90s).

Does anyone privately wish the other seasons of The Simpsons had been accurate to the times like the first season of The Simpsons?

Subject: Re: The First Season of The Simpsons

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/27/20 at 2:59 am

I recall watching "The Simpsons" around then, and enjoying it, but for me it soon went downhill.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/27/20 at 6:50 am

The first season would have been even better if Bart appeared as Bartman in a Halloween themed episode that wasn’t a Treehouse of Horror episode.

Bart’s tattoo in The Simpsons Christmas Special was also a ‘very 1989 thing’.

Written By: nally on 02/27/20 at 11:32 am

I recall watching "The Simpsons" around then, and enjoying it, but for me it soon went downhill.

I, too, started watching it during its first full year on the air... but not actively until the summer months.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/27/20 at 4:14 pm

I, too, started watching it during its first full year on the air... but not actively until the summer months.

Have you ever binge watched the first season of The Simpsons?

Written By: nally on 02/27/20 at 4:16 pm

Have you ever binge watched the first season of The Simpsons?

No.

Have you?

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/27/20 at 4:25 pm

No.

Have you?

Not in its entirety. I wish the other seasons had followed the formula to the first season. There were references here and there to Neil Patrick Harris, The Simpsons merchandise, and Kid N Play (all early 90s things) in the 3rd season, but they never as memorable as Super Slugfest, Non-Threatening Boys magazine, or America’s Armed and Dangerous. I want to rewatch the first season because the references were so good.

Written By: nally on 02/27/20 at 4:28 pm

Not in its entirety. I wish the other seasons had followed the formula to the first season. There were references here and there to Neil Patrick Harris, The Simpsons merchandise, and Kid N Play (all early 90s things) in the 3rd season, but they never as memorable as Super Slugfest, Non-Threatening Boys magazine, or America’s Armed and Dangerous. I want to rewatch the first season because the references were so good.

and some of the animation in that first season was a far cry from later seasons, as I've noticed whenever I see a first-season rerun on TV. Even Dan Castellaneta sounded a little different when he voiced Homer then.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/27/20 at 4:34 pm

and some of the animation in that first season was a far cry from later seasons, as I've noticed whenever I see a first-season rerun on TV. Even Dan Castellaneta sounded a little different when he voiced Homer then.

Dan Castellaneta as Homer was in Walter Matthau or Jack Klugman mode from 1987 to 1990, but Homer was also the angry, but well meaning father in those years.

Check for new replies or respond here...