inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 90s: Over-appreciated or Underappreciated

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/05/20 at 7:12 pm

I was on Google searching for 90s fan sites and social media pages related to the 90s, but I came up with a few — The 90s Preservation Society and Stuck In the 90s.

Do you feel the 90s get the appreciation they deserve or the 90s are the most underrated time period in recent years?

Subject: Re: The 90s: Over-appreciated or Underappreciated

Written By: violet_shy on 03/05/20 at 7:22 pm

Definitely underrated. There aren't any nostalgia sites about the 90s either. I think my generation just doesn't care! ;D

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/05/20 at 7:36 pm

Definitely underrated. There aren't any nostalgia sites about the 90s either. I think my generation just doesn't care! ;D

All of this re-imagining of the 1980s is a complete fabrication. I think 80s fans
over-romanticize the 80s so much that they have the wrong idea of how the 80s actually were. Not everything came out of the 1980s like 80s fans believe. There was still space for some wonderful inventions in the 20th century and the 90s did not disappoint.

Written By: 2001 on 03/05/20 at 10:36 pm

Most eras of the past are going to be overrated. That's just how rose-coloured glasses work; people remember things more positively than they actually were.

Compared to the '80s though I would say the '90s are underrated. It was a solid decade.

Written By: Howard on 03/06/20 at 7:24 am

All of this re-imagining of the 1980s is a complete fabrication. I think 80s fans
over-romanticize the 80s so much that they have the wrong idea of how the 80s actually were. Not everything came out of the 1980s like 80s fans believe. There was still space for some wonderful inventions in the 20th century and the 90s did not disappoint.

I think people have more nostalgia for The 80's instead of The 90's.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/06/20 at 8:27 am

I think people have more nostalgia for The 80's instead of The 90's.

I think that is because they are looking at the 80s with rose tinted glasses.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 03/06/20 at 12:24 pm

Somebody help me figure this out...
There are things I definitely appreciate from the 1990s, you know?
What I'm wondering is, was there a lot of bias towards firstborns in literature back then, compared to now? Every single original Goosebumps book I have read back in elementary school (all but maybe 5) had the main character a firstborn if not an only child.

I know this could be a coincidence, though, because a lot of people have the perception that, among children with siblings, firstborns read the most. But when I read Reservation Blues for an AP English class, I saw the same sort of thing when one character said about his friend, "he was the firstborn in his family, so you know he had to have it hard."

... My lord, I would've hated living longer in the '90s than I did, if this kind of sentiment was everywhere. Keep in mind I'm going to say something I love about the 1990s before people start jumping me: Pol Pot FINALLY died.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/06/20 at 12:47 pm

Somebody help me figure this out...
There are things I definitely appreciate from the 1990s, you know?
What I'm wondering is, was there a lot of bias towards firstborns in literature back then, compared to now? Every single original Goosebumps book I have read back in elementary school (all but maybe 5) had the main character a firstborn if not an only child.

I know this could be a coincidence, though, because a lot of people have the perception that, among children with siblings, firstborns read the most. But when I read Reservation Blues for an AP English class, I saw the same sort of thing when one character said about his friend, "he was the firstborn in his family, so you know he had to have it hard."

... My lord, I would've hated living longer in the '90s than I did, if this kind of sentiment was everywhere. Keep in mind I'm going to say something I love about the 1990s before people start jumping me: Pol Pot FINALLY died.

Wow! I did not even catch that tidbit about firstborns in Goosebumps in the 90s and early 2000s. Of course, I was only looking at the covers to Goosebumps and watching a few of Goosebumps TV episodes. Not paying too much the characters or storylines.

I think most Boomers and Gen Xers do not appreciate the 90s because they were older in them. By that constellation, the late 80s do not get much praise from anyone other than Gen XYers like myself because Boomers were working and Xers were on their way to college or in college from 1987 to 1989.

As an XYer, I did not like the new 90s cartoons and video game characters (first two Sonic games were fine). The 1990s still had a lot to offer that whole families could like. I think the 90s are overshadowed by all of the horrible events that happened in them, but the 2000s were much worse.

Overall, I love the 80s and the 90s, but I have noticed that I hold more gravitas for the 80s because the 80s were the time period that made me who I am today. My generation is only a micro-generation and some of us like to say that were 90s kids more so online. Millennials born in the late 80s and early 90s were the true 90s kids. I’m surprised Boomers, Joneses, Xers, and XYers don’t hear Generation Y talking about 90s culture to the fullest extent. There was more to the 90s than Nicktoons, Disney’s The Lion King, *NSYNC and The Backstreet Boys. I feel like the 90s revival is deflated now and both Millennials and Generation Z are ready for the onslaught of nostalgia for the 2000s.

The 90s just get a bad rep because Generation X and XY do not chime in to defend them like we should be doing.

Check for new replies or respond here...