inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Super Mario Brothers 3 Happy Meal Promotion

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/06/20 at 2:35 pm

Does anyone else think the August 1990 SMB3 Happy Meal toy promotion was the greatest Happy Meal promotion of all time?

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/happymeal/images/b/b8/McDonald%27s_Trayliner_Placemat_-Super_Mario_Bros._3_Happy_Meal_1990.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110122001002

I remember being super excited about these in the extremely hot summer of 1990. I wanted Mario, but wound up with Luigi. Luigi was a good substitute for Mario because he was player number 2. I was pleased with Luigi and Goomba toys I had. I feel like this promotion had everything we know Happy Meal toys for — popular characters, toys that did not take away too much from the actual subject , mechanisms, good plastic, great paint applications, interchangeable, and an under 3 years old toy of Mario (see picture below).

https://kid-time.net/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/1990-super-mario-3-mcdonalds-happy-meal-toys-super-mario.jpg

The controversy with the SMB3 Happy Meal set is that Princess Peach and Bowser were not included. The placemat for the promotion featured both Princess Peach and Bowser, at least. I thought McDonald’s was going for the earliest stages of the video games with this SMB3 set. In that case, McDonald’s successfully established their purpose with these. Most children of the 80s and 90s could not get to the boss rounds of SMB and SMB3 anyway. So, this Happy Meal set grabbed everyone including adults at the time who referred to the video game cartridges as “tapes”.

What did you think about this Happy Meal set? Should there have been more toys? Was the Disney’s The Little Mermaid set from 1989 better? What impression do these toys leave you with?

https://kid-time.net/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/1989-disney-the-little-mermaid-happy-mcdonalds-happy-meal-toys-poster.jpg

https://kid-time.net/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/1989-disney-the-little-mermaid-happy-promotion-mcdonalds-happy-meal-toys-poster.jpg

Subject: Re: Super Mario Brothers 3 Happy Meal Promotion

Written By: annimal on 03/06/20 at 4:39 pm

there's my flipping goomba

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/06/20 at 5:40 pm

Do you feel the Goomba is a good stand alone Happy Meal toy or would you need Mario, Luigi, and the Paratrooper to play with?

Written By: annimal on 03/07/20 at 3:13 pm

Just had my goomba and loved it.  My brother had some of the other toys, but I guess I would have liked them better if they just flipped.  How often is Luigi on a cloud anyway?

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/07/20 at 4:50 pm

Just had my goomba and loved it.  My brother had some of the other toys, but I guess I would have liked them better if they just flipped.  How often is Luigi on a cloud anyway?

Did you want McDonald’s to include a 3D play-set with the flipping Mario, Luigi, Goomba, and Paratrooper?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/08/20 at 8:50 am

This is certainly among my favorite toy promotions ever. Even though I was very young back then, basically only a toddler, I still had some of these, probably because of the fact that I got into the Mario games at a very young age.

I also seem to recall an awesome Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles promotion that they did around this era too that I had some toys from.

As a slightly younger guy, though, probably my favorite McDonald's toy promotion was theirs for the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Movie where you could actually buy each of the six zords separately. It took me awhile to get my parents to let me collect that whole set.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/08/20 at 9:02 am

This is certainly among my favorite toy promotions ever. Even though I was very young back then, basically only a toddler, I still had some of these, probably because of the fact that I got into the Mario games at a very young age.

I also seem to recall an awesome Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles promotion that they did around this era too that I had some toys from.

As a slightly younger guy, though, probably my favorite McDonald's toy promotion was theirs for the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Movie where you could actually buy each of the six zords separately. It took me awhile to get my parents to let me collect that whole set.

The only Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Happy Meal toys from the 90s was an international release. Burger King had the TMNT Radical Badges and VHS tapes.

I remember the Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers set from 1995. The movie zords were initially $1.99 with a value meal, but they became Happy Meal tots when McDonald’s ran out of options for Happy Meal toys that summer. I thought it was lame that the zoids could not transform to form Ninja Falcon Megazord.

Did you love all of the Happy Meal promotions of the 1990s?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/08/20 at 9:13 am

The only Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Happy Meal toys from the 90s was an international release. Burger King had the TMNT Radical Badges and VHS tapes.

I remember the Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers set from 1995. The movie zords were initially $1.99 with a value meal, but they became Happy Meal tots when McDonald’s ran out of options for Happy Meal toys that summer. I thought it was lame that the zoids could not transform to form Ninja Falcon Megazord.

Did you love all of the Happy Meal promotions of the 1990s?

Yeah, I could have been wrong about Turtles toys because I had so many of those back then that it's pretty much impossible for me to keep track of where they came from.

I agree that it did suck that the Power Rangers collection couldn't actually be turned into a Megazord like the actual toys could. That would've been cool. I did have the full collection of six on display side by side after that, though, because they did look pretty cool on a shelf.

Given that I was born later during the '80s, I was young enough to like McDonald's toys throughout pretty much throughout the entire '90s. They had awesome Bobby's World set from the mid '90s that I loved, a bunch based on the popular Disney movies of the era, and I also recall a few Toy Story based sets during the later '90s that I liked.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/08/20 at 10:14 am

Yeah, I could have been wrong about Turtles toys because I had so many of those back then that it's pretty much impossible for me to keep track of where they came from.

I agree that it did suck that the Power Rangers collection couldn't actually be turned into a Megazord like the actual toys could. That would've been cool. I did have the full collection of six on display side by side after that, though, because they did look pretty cool on a shelf.

Given that I was born later during the '80s, I was young enough to like McDonald's toys throughout pretty much throughout the entire '90s. They had awesome Bobby's World set from the mid '90s that I loved, a bunch based on the popular Disney movies of the era, and I also recall a few Toy Story based sets during the later '90s that I liked.

Burger King had Toy Story in the 90s, but there was a Woody toy by McDonalds in the late 90s. The Burger King Kids Club Toy Story toys were better than anything Toy Story McDonalds has to offer.

Did you ever wish that McDonald’s made Ivan Ooze or Lord Zedd or were the rangers and zords appropriate for MMPR fans?

Written By: annimal on 03/08/20 at 10:38 am

Did you want McDonald’s to include a 3D play-set with the flipping Mario, Luigi, Goomba, and Paratrooper?

I just thought the flipping goomba was the only thing that really did anything.  Mario could pop up, but anything like that could pop up.  Anything could be made like a car.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/08/20 at 10:58 am

Burger King had Toy Story in the 90s, but there was a Woody toy by McDonalds in the late 90s. The Burger King Kids Club Toy Story toys were better than anything Toy Story McDonalds has to offer.

Did you ever wish that McDonald’s made Ivan Ooze or Lord Zedd or were the rangers and zords appropriate for MMPR fans?

Yeah, I forgot about that. I could be wrong about this because I haven't looked to check it out, but didn't BK have the toys for the original Toy Story, and McDonald's had them for Toy Story 2?

It would've been better if they would've included some of the villains from the Power Rangers Movie, too. I always prefer it when companies do complete sets that include all the major characters.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/08/20 at 11:58 am

Yeah, I forgot about that. I could be wrong about this because I haven't looked to check it out, but didn't BK have the toys for the original Toy Story, and McDonald's had them for Toy Story 2?

It would've been better if they would've included some of the villains from the Power Rangers Movie, too. I always prefer it when companies do complete sets that include all the major characters.

Forgive me, I refuse to see 1999 as a part of the later 90s. Millennials were older, my micro-generation was becoming parents, and Generation Z was in their childhood culture days.

Yes, McDonald’s had Toy Story 2 Happy Meal toys and value meal toys in 1999. The original Toy Story BKKM toys and dolls were heaps ahead of the McDonald’s Toy Story 2 stuff. McDonald’s really didn’t know what they were doing.

There could have been a large Ivan Ooze for a small Ivan Ooze to fit in.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/14/20 at 9:58 pm

I wish the U3 toy had been King Koopa, but it  was understandable why McDonald’s went with Super Mario as a raccoon.

Written By: nally on 03/15/20 at 2:16 pm

I had one of those too. I eventually got rid of it (gave it away to one of those thrift shops) and other toys.

I still have the Luigi (him sitting on a cloud with little wheels on the bottom).

I never got a jumping Mario or the Koopa. That red circle on the end of Koopa's tail, is that supposed to make him hop (as per the picture caption) when you push or squeeze it?

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/15/20 at 2:33 pm

I had one of those too. I eventually got rid of it (gave it away to one of those thrift shops) and other toys.

I still have the Luigi (him sitting on a cloud with little wheels on the bottom).

I never got a jumping Mario or the Koopa. That red circle on the end of Koopa's tail, is that supposed to make him hop (as per the picture caption) when you push or squeeze it?

Yep, the red pumper would make the Paratrooper jump up in the air whenever you squeezed it.

Check for new replies or respond here...