inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 70s Revival

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/06/20 at 2:39 pm

Is it only me or did the 70s revival ruin the 1990s? Does anyone else slightly dislike the 1990s for all of the 70s nostalgia in that period?

Subject: Re: 70s Revival

Written By: violet_shy on 03/06/20 at 3:17 pm

I remember it, but I never went along with it. It was mainly the older people who were nostalgic for the 70s. I was too busy enjoying my own decade/culture.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/06/20 at 4:18 pm

I remember it, but I never went along with it. It was mainly the older people who were nostalgic for the 70s. I was too busy enjoying my own decade/culture.

I’m not a fan of the 1970s either. I remember Baby Boomers dressing people my age in Bell Bottoms and 70s looking shirts in the 90s. The 70s like the 90s were too raw. I was sad to see the 60s stuff disappear. The 60s were the last time people had class.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/06/20 at 4:40 pm

I’m not a fan of the 1970s either. I remember Baby Boomers dressing people my age in Bell Bottoms and 70s looking shirts in the 90s. The 70s like the 90s were too raw. I was sad to see the 60s stuff disappear. The 60s were the last time people had class.

Whaat!? Why would they do such a thing?  ;D

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/06/20 at 5:39 pm

Whaat!? Why would they do such a thing?  ;D

Bell Bottoms were a Boomer’s ADIDAS tracksuit. They wanted to share it with their younger children since Xers and XYers looked down on the fashions of the 70s (like we should have been doing).

Written By: violet_shy on 03/06/20 at 6:03 pm

Bell Bottoms were a Boomer’s ADIDAS tracksuit. They wanted to share it with their younger children since Xers and XYers looked down on the fashions of the 70s (like we should have been doing).

My mom loved the 70s nostalgia because she grew up in the 70s. But she never made me wear 70s clothing. It was mainly her world.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/06/20 at 6:09 pm

My mom loved the 70s nostalgia because she grew up in the 70s. But she never made me wear 70s clothing. It was mainly her world.

My folks were bigger followers of the 60s nostalgia movement, even in the 90s.

Written By: Howard on 03/07/20 at 4:06 am

Just like My Parents loved The 50's period but they never made me wear 50's clothing.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/07/20 at 7:50 am

Just like My Parents loved The 50's period but they never made me wear 50's clothing.

Teenagers of the 70s and 80s adopted the 50s style (black leather jackets, James Dean shirt slightly unbuttoned, and tapered jeans) during the 50s revival in those days.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/07/20 at 8:47 am

Teenagers of the 70s and 80s adopted the 50s style (black leather jackets, James Dean shirt slightly unbuttoned, and tapered jeans) during the 50s revival in those days.

A little bit, but this wasn't mainstream.  It was more likely you'd see someone dressed 50's style as a Halloween costume, or maybe performing in a show or something similar (this after 50's nostalgia took off).  In certain cases maybe you'd catch this garb in specific type bars and nightclubs.

During the 70's, people were most likely to wear 70's fashions.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/07/20 at 8:57 am

Is it only me or did the 70s revival ruin the 1990s? Does anyone else slightly dislike the 1990s for all of the 70s nostalgia in that period?

Late Boomer here.  The only thing I liked about the 70's revival of the 90's (which arrived late IMO) is the music, which I always LOVE.  I snickered about the fashion redux - platform shoes?!?!?  ;D  At that time I observed that 70's fashion was being marketed at and aimed at 90's teens/youth.  To me, 90's fashion was fine and didn't need any interference from the 70's.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/07/20 at 9:03 am

A little bit, but this wasn't mainstream.  It was more likely you'd see someone dressed 50's style as a Halloween costume, or maybe performing in a show or something similar (this after 50's nostalgia took off).  In certain cases maybe you'd catch this garb in specific type bars and nightclubs.

Eric Mardian of the 1980s (pictured below) disagrees with your statement. Some males wanted to be The Fonz after Happy Days hit.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/headoftheclass/images/5/53/Eric.jpeg/revision/latest?cb=20200120135721

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/07/20 at 9:05 am

Eric Mardian of the 1980s (pictured below) disagrees with your statement.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/headoftheclass/images/5/53/Eric.jpeg/revision/latest?cb=20200120135721

Forgive my ignorance - can you tell me who this is?

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/07/20 at 9:11 am

Forgive my ignorance - can you tell me who this is?

Brian Robbins from Head of the Class (mid 80s to very early 90s sitcom).

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/07/20 at 9:33 am

Eric Mardian of the 1980s (pictured below) disagrees with your statement. Some males wanted to be The Fonz after Happy Days hit.

You're blurring two periods, though. Despite "Happy Days" and some VERY young people idolizing "the Fonz", there was no real "50s revival" in the 70s, be it clothing or otherwise. Think of the late 70s "sweathogs" on "Welcome Back Kotter". Nobody looked particularly "50s". BUT, at the turn of the decade, the 80s became the 50s. Skinny ties and lapels for men, pointy sunglasses for women. The 80s, not the 70s, were the 50s. Politically and culturally. So called "new wave" was the 80s version of 50s music.  And, by the way, the fact that the 80s were the 50s had nothing to do with "Happy Days" or anything as shallow as that. It was political and cultural.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/07/20 at 5:09 pm

You're blurring two periods, though. Despite "Happy Days" and some VERY young people idolizing "the Fonz", there was no real "50s revival" in the 70s, be it clothing or otherwise. Think of the late 70s "sweathogs" on "Welcome Back Kotter". Nobody looked particularly "50s". BUT, at the turn of the decade, the 80s became the 50s. Skinny ties and lapels for men, pointy sunglasses for women. The 80s, not the 70s, were the 50s. Politically and culturally. So called "new wave" was the 80s version of 50s music.  And, by the way, the fact that the 80s were the 50s had nothing to do with "Happy Days" or anything as shallow as that. It was political and cultural.

Actually, the 50s revival was in swing from the early 70s into the 1980s and echoed into the early 90s. The 60s revival started towards the end of the 70s into the very early 80s and ended in the 90s. Lastly, the 70s revival began late in 1989 and ran until the mid 2000s.

OZ9Gp6Qc8LQ

http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/1976fashions.html

x7LwW6Q-h_M

toi4ewILeo0

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Top-Hits-Of-The-50s-Vol-3/release/6603405

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/07/20 at 6:08 pm

Actually, the 50s revival was in swing from the early 70s into the 1980s and echoed into the early 90s. The 60s revival started towards the end of the 70s into the very early 80s and ended in the 90s. Lastly, the 70s revival began late in 1989 and ran until the mid 2000s.

OZ9Gp6Qc8LQ

http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/1976fashions.html

x7LwW6Q-h_M

toi4ewILeo0

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Top-Hits-Of-The-50s-Vol-3/release/6603405

As somebody who was there, I can state unequivocally this is simply and categorically not correct. "American Graffiti" was indeed an important film and gave rise to "Happy Days" but none of this actually created any type of "50s revival" in the 70s nor was there any legitimate "60s revival" when you say. There just wasn't. "American Graffiti" was more a reassessment or retrospect of the 50s, rather than a revival, and "Happy Days" was basically just a cash-in. As for "Bowser", keep in mind that Bowser's band Sha-Na-Na and their 50s schtick were such a part of the 60s  that they actually played at Woodstock. In fact they were the second to last act at the three day festival, performing just before Jimi Hendrix himself. So, Bowser continuing to do his shtick in the 70s did not signify any type of "revival of the 50s". He had already been doing the same thing in the 60s and onward. His routine was no "new morning" for the 50s just because he kept doing it in the 70s.  He's STILL doing it. NOBODY and I mean NOBODY was walking around int the 70s like it was the 50s. And that means NOBODY. The 80s, on the other hand, was the 50s redux, as is well known. And it was much to my sorrow and dismay, I might add. 

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/07/20 at 6:23 pm

As somebody who was there, I can state unequivocally this is simply and categorically not correct. "American Graffiti" was indeed an important film and gave rise to "Happy Days" but none of this actually created any type of "50s revival" in the 70s nor was there any legitimate "60s revival" when you say. There just wasn't. "American Graffiti" was more a reassessment or retrospect of the 50s, rather than a revival, and "Happy Days" was basically just a cash-in. As for "Bowser", keep in mind that Bowser's band Sha-Na-Na and their 50s schtick were such a part of the 60s  that they actually played at Woodstock. In fact they were the second to last act at the three day festival, performing just before Jimi Hendrix himself. So, Bowser continuing to do his shtick in the 70s did not signify any type of "revival of the 50s". He had already been doing the same thing in the 60s and onward. His routine was no "new morning" for the 50s just because he kept doing it in the 70s.  He's STILL doing it. NOBODY and I mean NOBODY was walking around int the 70s like it was the 50s. And that means NOBODY. The 80s, on the other hand, was the 50s redux, as is well known. And it was much to my sorrow and dismay, I might add.

The 50s revival started in the 70s, but it was mainstream in the 1980s.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/08/20 at 9:34 am

There was certainly plenty of this around during the '90s. My parents loved the '70s, so I got exposed to plenty of the nostalgia back then. I also recall when Nick at Nite started putting a lot more '70s shows on to their line up during the later '90s. Luckily, I've always liked '70s shows, so I was fine with that.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/08/20 at 10:11 am

There was certainly plenty of this around during the '90s. My parents loved the '70s, so I got exposed to plenty of the nostalgia back then. I also recall when Nick at Nite started putting a lot more '70s shows on to their line up during the later '90s. Luckily, I've always liked '70s shows, so I was fine with that.

Thankfully, wide collar shirts didn’t return. The 70s were one of the worst time periods for fashion.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/08/20 at 10:14 am

BUT, at the turn of the decade, the 80s became the 50s. Skinny ties and lapels for men, pointy sunglasses for women. The 80s, not the 70s, were the 50s. Politically and culturally.

That's not true. There were some fads in the 80s from the 50s that everyone would sport if they wanted to, but nothing I would call a revival. The 80s were definitely NOT the 50s...two completely different decades, eras, whatever, that had no similarities only some fads that were re-made.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/08/20 at 10:16 am

That's not true. There were some fads in the 80s from the 50s that everyone would sport if they wanted to, but nothing I would call a revival. The 80s were definitely NOT the 50s...two completely different decades, eras, whatever, that had no similarities only some fads that were re-made.

The 80s had a little 50s in them, but overall the new 60s throwback movement dominated.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/08/20 at 10:31 am

It's unequivocally true. I'm not talking fads, I'm talking politically and culturally. The fads were just a surface thing. the 80s were a return to the 50s ideologically and was a negation of all that was a search for a higher consciousness in the 60s and 70s.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/08/20 at 10:36 am

Thankfully, wide collar shirts didn’t return. The 70s were one of the worst time periods for fashion.

If you had the right body for it (male, female, etc) hiphuggers looked tremendous.  ;) 

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/08/20 at 12:02 pm

If you had the right body for it (male, female, etc) hiphuggers looked tremendous.  ;)

What did you think of That 70s Show? Should the 70s be remembered for the first Star Wars film, disco, Afros, and Super Friends?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/08/20 at 2:40 pm

What did you think of That 70s Show? Should the 70s be remembered for the first Star Wars film, disco, Afros, and Super Friends?

The first few seasons That 70s Show were surprisingly accurate. Fashion-wise, music-wise, etc. If you looked close enough they even had magazines that were actual magazines of the specific era. I remember thinking they must have got them on Ebay.  :)  In the later seasons they got a little loose with the accuracy. I don't remember exactly when. It definitely stayed on the air a season or two longer than it should have.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/08/20 at 2:53 pm

The first few seasons That 70s Show were surprisingly accurate. Fashion-wise, music-wise, etc. If you looked close enough they even had magazines that were actual magazines of the specific era. I remember thinking they must have got them on Ebay.  :)  In the later seasons they got a little loose with the accuracy. I don't remember exactly when. It definitely stayed on the air a season or two longer than it should have.

Which revival was the most successful revival out of the 40s revival, 50s revival, 60s revival, and 70s revival?

Written By: Howard on 03/08/20 at 3:15 pm

Hawaiian shirts, colored pants and dress shoes.

Written By: Howard on 03/08/20 at 3:17 pm

I liked That 70's Show.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/08/20 at 3:20 pm

Hawaiian shirts, colored pants and dress shoes.

What?

I liked That 70's Show.

I never thought the writers should have set the show in the years 1978 and 1979.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/08/20 at 4:48 pm

Which revival was the most successful revival out of the 40s revival, 50s revival, 60s revival, and 70s revival?

I wouldn't use the term "revival", more like a "nostalgia boom".  And there was never a 40s nostalgia boom to speak of.  Understand, nostalgia as it is used here is something that didn't exist until the mid-70's.  The mid-70's was when the 50's nostalgia boom just got started; the 50's nostalgia boom continued into the 80's.  There was no "50's revival".  And I don't agree about the 80's being the 50's redux - the 80's had its own identity.  There may have been certain similarities in pop culture, men's fashion or maybe even politics but that's where it ended.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/08/20 at 5:17 pm

I wouldn't use the term "revival", more like a "nostalgia boom".  And there was never a 40s nostalgia boom to speak of.  Understand, nostalgia as it is used here is something that didn't exist until the mid-70's.  The mid-70's was when the 50's nostalgia boom just got started; the 50's nostalgia boom continued into the 80's.  There was no "50's revival".  And I don't agree about the 80's being the 50's redux - the 80's had its own identity.  There may have been certain similarities in pop culture, men's fashion or maybe even politics but that's where it ended.

They are called revivals. The lingo, clothing, trends, musicians, TV characters, and movie series all return during a revival. What is a nostalgia boom? I’ve never heard of that in my life.

The 60s revival in the 80s and 90s was the most successful revival in modern times.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/08/20 at 6:28 pm

I wouldn't use the term "revival", more like a "nostalgia boom".  And there was never a 40s nostalgia boom to speak of.  Understand, nostalgia as it is used here is something that didn't exist until the mid-70's.  The mid-70's was when the 50's nostalgia boom just got started; the 50's nostalgia boom continued into the 80's.  There was no "50's revival".

This is absolutely correct. Never has there been a 40s boom because it would make no sense. Nobody wants to go back to, or should I say be reminded of, a time of iceboxes, gas streetlights, no television, very little air travel, etc.  And politically it would make no sense whatsoever, obviously. And it is correct that nostalgia, as it is discussed here, was not a thing until at least the mid-70s. As I stated previously, 1973's "American Graffiti" was something of a REASSESSMENT of the 50s, not a "revival", whatever that is. It was part of the  questioning "new Hollywood" of the early 70s. 

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/08/20 at 6:39 pm

They are called revivals. The lingo, clothing, trends, musicians, TV characters, and movie series all return during a revival. What is a nostalgia boom? I’ve never heard of that in my life.

The 60s revival in the 80s and 90s was the most successful revival in modern times.

There was no 60s "revival" in the 80s. I would have welcomed 60s idealism in the 80s. The materialistic 80s were the antithesis of 60s idealism, as is common knowledge. 60s ideals were held in scorn in the 80s, unfortunately.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/08/20 at 6:59 pm

There was no 60s "revival" in the 80s. I would have welcomed 60s idealism in the 80s. The materialistic 80s were the antithesis of 60s idealism, as is common knowledge. 60s ideals were held in scorn in the 80s, unfortunately.

You weren’t paying attention to pop culture in the 80s. Jams shorts? The Big Chill? THE WONDER YEARS? Murphy Brown? China Beach? Rambo? Are any of these ringing any bells in your head?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/08/20 at 7:14 pm

You weren’t paying attention to pop culture in the 80s. Jams shorts? The Big Chill? THE WONDER YEARS? Murphy Brown? China Beach? Rambo? Are any of these ringing any bells in your head?

That's nostalgia, baby, or retrospection at best, it's not "revival" and it's not authentic. All of those things only served to remind me (and others) that the 60s (and 70s) were GONE. It didn't magically "being them back". 

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/08/20 at 7:24 pm

That's nostalgia, baby, or retrospection at best, it's not "revival" and it's not authentic. All of those things only served to remind me (and others) that the 60s (and 70s) were GONE. It didn't magically "being them back".

What are you talking about? Jams shorts, store bought tie dye shirts, store bought acid wash ripped jeans, pin striped button down shirts, cardigan sweaters, neon shirts, and mock turtlenecks were all marketed to generations that came after the Baby Boomers in the 80s and 90s.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/09/20 at 12:20 pm

What are you talking about? Jams shorts, store bought tie dye shirts, store bought acid wash ripped jeans, pin striped button down shirts, cardigan sweaters, neon shirts, and mock turtlenecks were all marketed to generations that came after the Baby Boomers in the 80s and 90s.

You answered your own question. "... were all marketed to generations that came after the Baby Boomers in the 80s and 90s." MARKETING a decade to later generations is not the same as the decade itself. It's a product. I suggest you read this wonderful essay by the most excellent Camille Paglia. It will enlighten you as to why no mere TV show or brand of clothing from the 80s could really being back those times or it's atmosphere in any significant way. It's very long and it's very scholarly but will surely interest someone like yourself who is interested in this time period so you will not inadvertently perpetrate misinformation. No need to thank me for this, I am happy to pass it on.

Don't be put off by the title, there is much about popular culture in there.

Cults and Cosmic Consciousness
Religious Vision in the American 1960s
by Camille Paglia

www.bu.edu/arion/files/2010/03/paglia_cults-1.pdf

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/09/20 at 1:20 pm

You answered your own question. "... were all marketed to generations that came after the Baby Boomers in the 80s and 90s." MARKETING a decade to later generations is not the same as the decade itself. It's a product. I suggest you read this wonderful essay by the most excellent Camille Paglia. It will enlighten you as to why no mere TV show or brand of clothing from the 80s could really being back those times or it's atmosphere in any significant way. It's very long and it's very scholarly but will surely interest someone like yourself who is interested in this time period so you will not inadvertently perpetrate misinformation. No need to thank me for this, I am happy to pass it on.

Don't be put off by the title, there is much about popular culture in there.

Cults and Cosmic Consciousness
Religious Vision in the American 1960s
by Camille Paglia

www.bu.edu/arion/files/2010/03/paglia_cults-1.pdf

The 80s and 90s weren’t a carbon copy of the 1960s, but beaches, environmental protests, and organic rock music were all a thing again back then.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/09/20 at 3:09 pm

The 80s and 90s weren’t a carbon copy of the 1960s, but beaches, environmental protests, and organic rock music were all a thing again back then.

were "beaches" ever not a thing? Did they disappear between the 60s and th 90s? Somebody would have noticed.  ;D  ;D

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/09/20 at 3:41 pm

were "beaches" ever not a thing? Did they disappear between the 60s and th 90s? Somebody would have noticed.  ;D  ;D

Beaches were not popular places in the 1970s and very early 80s like they were from the mid 1980s into the early 90s.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/09/20 at 3:47 pm

Beaches were not popular places in the 1970s and very early 80s like they were from the mid 1980s into the early 90s.

Do you have a citation as to where you come by this assertion? It's ridiculous. Beaches are beaches and people go to them.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/09/20 at 3:54 pm

Do you have a citation as to where you come by this assertion? It's ridiculous. Beaches are beaches and people go to them.

Nothing ridiculous about it at all. I lived the 80s and the 90s. I used to fly kites, run, go in the water, and walk around at the beach all of the time until the late 90s. The beach hasn’t been crowded since the mid 90s.

If you don’t mind me asking, why is your username Voice of the 70s?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/09/20 at 3:59 pm

Nothing ridiculous about it at all. I lived the 80s and the 90s. I used to fly kites, run, go in the water, and walk around at the beach all of the time until the late 90s. The beach hasn’t been crowded since the mid 90s.

If you don’t mind me asking, why is your username Voice of the 70s?

I'm not sure one beach is an indication of a worldwide trend. Perhaps you should research this further because nobody else has noticed this and if you are onto something people will want to know.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/09/20 at 4:03 pm

As far as environmental protests, there was very little in the 80's/90's in comparison to what you'd find in the late 60's to early 70's.  The scale of protesting was just much much less.

Incidentally, I've gone to beaches all my life.  My parents went to beaches, too.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/09/20 at 4:13 pm

As far as environmental protests, there was very little in the 80's/90's in comparison to what you'd find in the late 60's to early 70's.  The scale of protesting was just much much less.

Incidentally, I've gone to beaches all my life.  My parents went to beaches, too.

In the materialistic 80s, the level of protesting was practically nil. The main big one was the We Are The Wold/Live Aid actions for African famine. And Live Aid inadvertently gave birth to Farm Aid due to Bob Dylan's comments about American farmers during Live Aid.

There was also the goofy "Hands Across America" idea to benefit homelessness, where the plan was for an unbroken chain of people to hold hands across the entire country. It didn't actually work out that way, but I guess their hearts were in the right place. The song is an absolute abomination. Here it is. Spot all the 80s stars.  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZorfXa5pBc

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/09/20 at 4:18 pm

...There was also the goofy "Hands Across America" idea to benefit homelessness, where the plan was for an unbroken chain of people to hold hands across the entire country. It didn't actually work out that way, but I guess their hearts were in the right place. The song is an absolute abomination. Here it is. Spot all the 80s stars.  :D

Yes I participated in the "Hands Across America" with my mom.  A good concept, but in the end it was underwhelming.  Still, it was nice to see us with all those neighbors stretched out across the nearby street, holding hands...

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/09/20 at 4:23 pm

I'm not sure one beach is an indication of a worldwide trend. Perhaps you should research this further because nobody else has noticed this and if you are onto something people will want to know.

Never said one beach was an indication of a worldwide trend. I went to many beaches in the 80s and 90s, BTW.

You couldn’t ignore surfer culture from the mid 80s to the early 90s. Why do you think that all there was to the 80s was the materialistic side to the 80s?

No duh. I never said there was more protesting in the 80s and 90s than in the late 60s and early 70s. There was more of a struggle in the 60s and early 70s.

Were there movies being filmed at your beach like this one:

AO5TDqOYJdM

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/09/20 at 4:37 pm

Never said one beach was an indication of a worldwide trend. I went to many beaches in the 80s and 90s, BTW.

Yes you did. You said it twice. "Beaches" plural, as if it were an overall trend. How come nobody else has noticed these shrinking beach populations? Is it an environmental thing causing this?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/09/20 at 4:38 pm

...Were there movies being filmed at your beach...

LOL - Hollywood has no interest in filming at Lake Michigan beaches.  They are pretty rinky-dink compared to beaches in southern California.  Although the Michigan side of Lake Michigan does have some pretty nice beaches, the ones with the bluffs.  Much better than those found in and around Chicago.

I do have one distinct memory of going to Oak Street beach (I think it was Oak Street???) with my boyfriend in summer of '82.  It was a hot day and the beach was crowded as everything - we couldn't find a decent place to sit.  We finally found a little spot and then I remember we got our ears blasted by some girl walking in an orange short dress and black shades carrying a boombox that was blasting out the song "Valley Girl".  ;D

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/09/20 at 5:13 pm

https://i2-wp-com.cdn.ampproject.org/ii/w1200/s/i2.wp.com/img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/Lrock212/scan0011.jpg

https://thepilver.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/jnco-girl.jpg

Things you won’t see online: People tripping because of those pants.  8-P

Written By: Howard on 03/10/20 at 7:19 am

Yes I participated in the "Hands Across America" with my mom.  A good concept, but in the end it was underwhelming.  Still, it was nice to see us with all those neighbors stretched out across the nearby street, holding hands...

About How many hands were actually stretched across America? ???

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/10/20 at 10:32 am

About How many hands were actually stretched across America? ???

According to this article, approximately 5 million people participated, so that would make 10 million hands if we to are assume that all participants had two hands. I would give a margin of error at about 20% either side of that figure.

Notice the 1980s short shorts that were common among men back then.

https://www.history.com/news/remembering-hands-across-america

Written By: robby76 on 03/17/20 at 6:38 am

I wouldn't say I loved the 70s revival, but you kinda got swept up in it. I wore bellbottoms in the very early 90s and also the very late 90s.

In the mid 90s a lot of clubs had 70s nights and everyone would dress up. I had at least two or three big collared shirts for going out.

A lot of the dance / club music also either directly used or heavily sampled 70s disco tracks. You just couldn't escape it really.

Written By: robby76 on 03/17/20 at 6:42 am

Heavenly Kid (1985 movie) and Teen Angel (1989 tv series) also had 1950s throwbacks.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BZGVmODMxZjAtYjFjNC00YjM5LTlhZGUtMmI5NTkzMDRhZjg0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzU0NzkwMDg@._V1_UY1200_CR101,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ef/Heavenly_kid_dvd_cover_amazon.jpg

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/17/20 at 1:04 pm

Heavenly Kid (1985 movie) and Teen Angel (1989 tv series) also had 1950s throwbacks.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BZGVmODMxZjAtYjFjNC00YjM5LTlhZGUtMmI5NTkzMDRhZjg0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzU0NzkwMDg@._V1_UY1200_CR101,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ef/Heavenly_kid_dvd_cover_amazon.jpg

The 50s revival of the 1970s coincided with the new 60s revival in the 1980s and it stayed that way until 1993 or so.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/17/20 at 5:40 pm

I see your Heavenly Kid and Teen Angel and I raise you, Greaser Greg (one of the most memorable things of the 80s for me):

https://badmoviegame-files-wordpress-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/badmoviegame.files.wordpress.com/2016/05/greasergreg.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...