inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Beetlejuice

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/09/20 at 7:19 pm

Did it bother anyone else that an ecto-plasmic human exterminator became the protagonist of a cartoon in 1989 that won an Emmy in 1990? Seriously, there were Burger King toys in 1990 and pajamas.

__JsGXjPBak

tWHVvXUw-RU

Subject: Re: Beetlejuice

Written By: nally on 03/09/20 at 11:49 pm

I do know that there was a live-action film in 1988 that bore this title; it was adapted into an animated series soon thereafter. I remember it being on the Fox Kids Network block in the early 1990s. While I admit it looked rather grotesque at first, I did watch a few episodes of it and found some humour.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/10/20 at 2:38 am

I do know that there was a live-action film in 1988 that bore this title; it was adapted into an animated series soon thereafter. I remember it being on the Fox Kids Network block in the early 1990s. While I admit it looked rather grotesque at first, I did watch a few episodes of it and found some humour.
The same with me, and also, with a different spelling, Betelgeuse the tenth-brightest star in the night sky. I have not clicked on the provided videos for th esame reason, too grotesque.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/10/20 at 1:00 pm

I loved how much the style of the Beetlejuice animated series screamed Tim Burton. The prince from the first and last season of Beetlejuice looked exactly like  Victor Van Dort from Corpse Bride.

Written By: nally on 03/10/20 at 9:00 pm

The same with me, and also, with a different spelling, Betelgeuse the tenth-brightest star in the night sky. I have not clicked on the provided videos for th esame reason, too grotesque.

Yeah, I kinda thought that "Beetlejuice" was a wordplay on "Betelgeuse"

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/10/20 at 9:07 pm

Yeah, I kinda thought that "Beetlejuice" was a wordplay on "Betelgeuse"

I don’t remember Beetlejuice being referred to as “Betelgeuse” in the cartoon. Does anybody dislike the lack of continuity between the cartoon and movie?

Written By: nally on 03/10/20 at 9:17 pm

I don’t remember Beetlejuice being referred to as “Betelgeuse” in the cartoon.

He probably wasn't. Like I said, it's probably just a wordplay. Only phonetic difference is in the first vowel sound.

Betelgeuse = "BAY-tul-juice"
Beetlejuice = "BEE-tul-juice"

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/11/20 at 6:53 am

He probably wasn't. Like I said, it's probably just a wordplay. Only phonetic difference is in the first vowel sound.

Betelgeuse = "BAY-tul-juice"
Beetlejuice = "BEE-tul-juice"

How did you feel about an ecto-plasmic human exterminator being the titular hero of a Saturday morning cartoon?

Written By: nally on 03/11/20 at 6:21 pm

^ I didn't care one way or the other.

And I seldom watched him on Saturday mornings. Only on weekday afternoons in 1991-92 during the Fox Kids Network block.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/11/20 at 7:02 pm

^ I didn't care one way or the other.

And I seldom watched him on Saturday mornings. Only on weekday afternoons in 1991-92 during the Fox Kids Network block.

It’s surprising what the networks could get away with in the 80s and 90s. Beetlejuice was an antagonist in a rated PG movie. Did you watch the cartoon before the movie or vice versa?

Written By: nally on 03/11/20 at 8:17 pm

It’s surprising what the networks could get away with in the 80s and 90s. Beetlejuice was an antagonist in a rated PG movie. Did you watch the cartoon before the movie or vice versa?

I never watched the movie. I only heard of it. And just because I hear about a certain film, TV production, or whatever, doesn't mean I intend to actually see it.

Written By: Howard on 03/12/20 at 4:49 am

I only remember when you said his name 3 times he would appear.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/12/20 at 6:51 am

Both the movie and cartoon shared scenes like that.  ;D

Written By: nally on 03/12/20 at 1:26 pm

Yes, I remember that was a running gag in the TV series.

Written By: Howard on 03/13/20 at 7:41 am

https://archive.triblive.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/ptrlivKeatonFilms3103114.jpg

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/13/20 at 8:15 am

One is the loneliest number, cartoon Beetlejuice had it better:

https://nightmarenostlagia-files-wordpress-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/nightmarenostlagia.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/beetlejuice-animated-series.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...