inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Only 90s Year You Need to Live In

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/11/20 at 5:07 pm

Does anyone agree that living in the year 1990 is all one person needs to understand what the 1990s were?

Subject: Re: The Only 90s Year You Need to Live In

Written By: violet_shy on 03/11/20 at 5:12 pm

I don't agree. I feel that someone should really experience the entire decade. Just my thought.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/11/20 at 5:19 pm

I don't agree. I feel that someone should really experience the entire decade. Just my thought.
Indeed, only once an entire decade has finished then each year can be reflected on to chose on which year to understand the entire decade.

Written By: Jaydawg89 on 03/11/20 at 5:44 pm

If any year best defined the 1990s it would be 1995.

I definitely agree with you there.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/11/20 at 5:57 pm

If any year best defined the 1990s it would be 1995.

How? We were in the middle of the 1990s. The 90s were starting to die in 1993.

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/11/20 at 7:05 pm

Totally agree. 1990 is far from a full experience of the decade. Now I wish more of the 90s was like 1990 but it wasn’t. Early 90s seemed like a lighter but still happy version of the 80s which I absolutely loved. Mid 90s seemed dark, depressing, angry. Late 90s lightened up and got happier again probably anticipating y2k.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/11/20 at 7:26 pm

Totally agree. 1990 is far from a full experience of the decade. Now I wish more of the 90s was like 1990 but it wasn’t. Early 90s seemed like a lighter but still happy version of the 80s which I absolutely loved. Mid 90s seemed dark, depressing, angry. Late 90s lightened up and got happier again probably anticipating y2k.

Compared to the year 1990, all of the other years of the 90s were dull. As far as I’m concerned, 1990 had a little bit of everything that made the 90s great to 90s fans.
80s/90s stuff (I.e.- Roseanne) was still fresh and 90s/00s culture (I.e.-The Simpsons) was at its finest because it was brand new.

I don’t see what everyone else sees in the year 1995. 1995 was lackluster from beginning to finish.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/11/20 at 8:01 pm

I don’t see what everyone else sees in the year 1995. 1995 was lackluster from beginning to finish.

May I ask how old you are?

1995 was a great year. The music, Fashion, and over- all culture was great. Maybe you didn't experience it the way most of us did? I don't know your age, but maybe because you were too young to fully experience 1995? Or maybe too old to take its culture seriously?

It was a great year.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/11/20 at 8:15 pm

May I ask how old you are?

1995 was a great year. The music, Fashion, and over- all culture was great. Maybe you didn't experience it the way most of us did? I don't know your age, but maybe because you were too young to fully experience 1995? Or maybe too old to take its culture seriously?

It was a great year.

What fashion? Nautica sweaters?  8-P

I was in my late teens in 1995 and ‘95 stunk. I don’t want 1995 back. I was comparing the 1980s to the 1990s and reminiscing about all of the culture I loved in the 80s and early 1990s in 1995.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/11/20 at 8:23 pm

What fashion? Nautica sweaters?  8-P

I was in my late teens in 1995 and ‘95 stunk. I don’t want 1995 back. I was comparing the 1980s to the 1990s and reminiscing about all of the culture I loved in the 80s and early 1990s in 1995.

But did you like the music at least?

Written By: Howard on 03/12/20 at 4:47 am

Does anyone agree that living in the year 1990 is all one person needs to understand what the 1990s were?

I would say 1991 or 1992.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/12/20 at 6:52 am

But did you like the music at least?

No. Everything sounded the same.

I would say 1991 or 1992.

That’s too late. The early 90s were dying off.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/12/20 at 10:04 am

No. Everything sounded the same.

Well, many artists were experimenting with new sounds and music in 1995. It wasn't boring. I remember that well.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/12/20 at 1:43 pm

Well, many artists were experimenting with new sounds and music in 1995. It wasn't boring. I remember that well.

What new sounds?

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/12/20 at 1:47 pm

The heart and soul of the 90s was in 1990. 1990 was the last year when the 90s made any kind of sense. The Silent Generation was complaining about the mouth of a new cartoon character by the name of Bart Simpson, Baby Boomers and Joneses were nostalgic for the 1970s, Gen Xers had McJobs, Xennials were enjoying shows like The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, and Millennials were taking notice of cartoons such as Tiny Toon Adventures.

Written By: BrandonB on 03/12/20 at 8:45 pm

Deep down I would go with 1996.  in my opinion, 1996 was when pop culture from the last two decades looked dated in many ways.  People who were teens in the 80s had entered the workforce, and college campuses were filled with students born in 1974 or there about.  Most of the teachers at my junior high at that time were baby boomers. 90s youth fashion trends like scrunchies, Tommy Hilfiger, and stater jackets were in full force at suburban shopping malls. The internet was still a place primarily used for research as opposed to the center of everyday professional and social life that it would later become. Our school had a computer lab but it was small and we only used it once an a while.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/12/20 at 9:54 pm

Deep down I would go with 1996.  in my opinion, 1996 was when pop culture from the last two decades looked dated in many ways.  People who were teens in the 80s had entered the workforce, and college campuses were filled with students born in 1974 or there about.  Most of the teachers at my junior high at that time were baby boomers. 90s youth fashion trends like scrunchies, Tommy Hilfiger, and stater jackets were in full force at suburban shopping malls. The internet was still a place primarily used for research as opposed to the center of everyday professional and social life that it would later become. Our school had a computer lab but it was small and we only used it once an a while.

1996 was a part of the watered down 90s. Scrunchies and Starter Jackets survived the mid 90s, but both were on the way out.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/13/20 at 3:31 pm

What new sounds?

Well, a good example would be "I know" by Dionne Farris which was released in 1995.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/13/20 at 9:47 pm

Well, a good example would be "I know" by Dionne Farris which was released in 1995.

Her work with Arrested Development was more memorable.

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/16/20 at 5:36 pm

Her work with Arrested Development was more memorable.

I forgot about that but I forgot about arrested development more.

I do have to say that waterfalls by tlc was all over the tv when I was moving into my dorm room in 95. That song had one of the few examples I know of a bass wah pedal, and a great example at that.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/16/20 at 7:55 pm

I forgot about that but I forgot about arrested development more.

I do have to say that waterfalls by tlc was all over the tv when I was moving into my dorm room in 95. That song had one of the few examples I know of a bass wah pedal, and a great example at that.

“Waterfalls” and “Creep” were their biggest hits at that time.

Written By: humaeast on 06/20/20 at 12:37 pm

1998. Get them to a club and have them hear the Blakdoktor Afterglow Mix of Moloko's "Day For Night," then have them play Metal Gear Solid. However, those were 4 months apart from each other...

Check for new replies or respond here...