inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Second Decade of MTV

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/23/20 at 5:40 pm

Did anyone here secretly hate the second decade of MTV (1991-2001)? I wanted my original MTV. Did anyone else feel this way?

Subject: Re: The Second Decade of MTV

Written By: violet_shy on 03/24/20 at 5:01 pm

I watched MTV in the 80s AND 90s. I liked both decades of it. Mainly because they actually played music videos. I miss the classic MTV.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/24/20 at 5:09 pm

Why did it have to be a secret?  Could they have openly hated it?  ???

Written By: violet_shy on 03/24/20 at 5:31 pm

Made me laugh!

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/24/20 at 6:28 pm

I watched MTV in the 80s AND 90s. I liked both decades of it. Mainly because they actually played music videos. I miss the classic MTV.

The VJs did not play as many music videos in the 90s as they did in the 1980s and very early 90s. Programs like Liquid Television, MTV House of Style, and The Real World were all on the air in the 1990s.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/24/20 at 7:40 pm

The VJs did not play as many music videos in the 90s as they did in the 1980s and very early 90s. Programs like Liquid Television, MTV House of Style, and The Real World were all on the air in the 1990s.

They did in the early 90s, I remember it well.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/24/20 at 7:47 pm

That was a part of the first decade of MTV.  :)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/24/20 at 11:47 pm

Made me laugh!

Yes, but I was serious. I don't understand the question. Why did people "secretly" have to hate it? Couldn't they openly say "I don't like the direction MTV has gone in"? 

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/25/20 at 1:17 am

Yes, but I was serious. I don't understand the question. Why did people "secretly" have to hate it? Couldn't they openly say "I don't like the direction MTV has gone in"? 
Same as another expression in describing an activity, when it is said that people religious watch a certain television program, do they dress up and vicars, fathers, monks and nuns to watch the television shows.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/25/20 at 10:21 am

The second decade of MTV still had Beavis and Butthead, The Real World, Road Rules, Singled Out, Celebrity Death Match, Daria, 2Gether, True Life, Fanatic, and Undressed. To some people, the second decade of MTV comes first over the actual first decade of MTV.

Written By: Ripley on 03/25/20 at 10:50 am

I grew up with 90’s MTV and loved it!

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/25/20 at 11:07 am

It was mostly Gen Xers that did not like the new direction MTV had gone in. It just wasn’t MTV to those Gen Xers. MTV is supposed to play music videos all day long, not cartoons, game shows, and reality shows. VH1, on the other hand, stood by its purpose until the mid 2000s happened. BET had the same programming until the early 2000s. MTV got to be to big for its britches.

Still, the third decade of MTV was much worse than the second one.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/25/20 at 11:16 am

The second decade of MTV still had Beavis and Butthead, The Real World, Road Rules, Singled Out, Celebrity Death Match, Daria, 2Gether, True Life, Fanatic, and Undressed. To some people, the second decade of MTV comes first over the actual first decade of MTV.
I had already stopped watching when these shows were on, I only watched MTV for the pop videos.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/25/20 at 11:21 am

MTV got to be to big for its bridges.

You mean too big for it's britches.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/too-big-for-one-s-britches

Similar mistakes that people make are "it's a doggie dog world" when the actual saying is "it's a dog eat dog world" and "for all intensive purposes" when the saying is "for all intents and purposes".  And let's not even mention Justin Bieber who went on the David Letterman Show (when that was still on the air) and said he had just got back from Rome and had visited the "Sixteenth Chapel".  He actually said that.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/25/20 at 11:31 am

I had already stopped watching when these shows were on, I only watched MTV for the pop videos.

Did you stop watching in late 1991 or early 1992 when that new VJ started playing nothing but grunge music?

You mean too big for it's britches.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/too-big-for-one-s-britches

Similar mistakes that people make are "it's a doggie dog world" when the actual saying is "it's a dog eat dog world" and "for all intensive purposes" when the saying is "for all intents and purposes".  And let's not even mention Justin Bieber who went on the David Letterman Show (when that was still on the air) and said he had just got back from Rome and had visited the "Sixteenth Chapel".  He actually said that.

Thanks. I made the correction.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/25/20 at 11:38 am

Did you stop watching in late 1991 or early 1992 when that new VJ started playing nothing but grunge music?
I cannot recall the exact time, but let me think about it.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/25/20 at 12:26 pm

I cannot recall the exact time, but let me think about it.

Aw. I loved Grunge music.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/25/20 at 3:42 pm

Aw. I loved Grunge music.

Before 1992 or so, MTV used to play pop, funk, rap, glam rock, dance, and R&B.

Written By: Howard on 03/25/20 at 4:12 pm

Did anyone here secretly hate the second decade of MTV (1991-2001)? I wanted my original MTV. Did anyone else feel this way?

I liked the original MTV from (1981-1990).

Written By: Howard on 03/25/20 at 4:13 pm

Then they turned to crap! ::)

Written By: Howard on 03/25/20 at 4:14 pm

Thanks. I made the correction.

I stopped watching when they showed reality shows.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/25/20 at 5:44 pm

I stopped watching when they showed reality shows.

MTV did a lot of experimenting in the 90s, but a lot of people expected MTV to stay the same as did from 1981 to early 1991 in mid 1991.

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/26/20 at 7:24 am

I'd say it almost has to go in a year-by-year basis, even including much of the channel's first decade. But overall, the second decade was less of an emphasis of being a radio station and increasingly more of a lifestyle-oriented network. Just look at how their Spring Break coverage evolved. In the early years, it was mostly nothing but concerts with the occasional divergence like an episode of Remote Control or a chit chat with some of the spring breakers, along with their regular videos interspersed with brief segments from the beach. But as the '90s and early '00s progressed, it increasingly was more about just chillin' out at the resort, shopping, dining, or telling why they are just pimpin' it out.

That said, the first half of that second decade (up until mid-1996) was still quite a bit more music-focused than the second half, where the only decent thing to come out of it was TRL. The PM hours were pretty music-free. That said, the primary nostalgists for MTV's second decade are Xennials and early Millenials (1977-1986), whereas Gen Xers (and even some late Boomers due to some classic shows that they would play) would rather appreciate VH1 from the same era. An old thread described what the "M" in MTV stood for in the first three decades; whereas it was Music in its first and Moronic in its third, it was "Media" in its second, since this was the time that MTV News was at its most pervasive in terms of its coverage, and even had a daily rock show for much of this time frame, in contrast to just weekly for the later portion of its first decade. TRL is as much of a media show as a music show for instance due to the talking segments, and even earlier in the decade, there was a popular talkback program as well. I just call the second decade "Silver Age MTV" like people call the early-mid '00s "Silver Age Nickelodeon" if that's fair enough.

Written By: Howard on 03/26/20 at 7:50 am

MTV did a lot of experimenting in the 90s, but a lot of people expected MTV to stay the same as did from 1981 to early 1991 in mid 1991.

I kind of think that the demographics had changed.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/26/20 at 12:02 pm

I'd say it almost has to go in a year-by-year basis, even including much of the channel's first decade. But overall, the second decade was less of an emphasis of being a radio station and increasingly more of a lifestyle-oriented network. Just look at how their Spring Break coverage evolved. In the early years, it was mostly nothing but concerts with the occasional divergence like an episode of Remote Control or a chit chat with some of the spring breakers, along with their regular videos interspersed with brief segments from the beach. But as the '90s and early '00s progressed, it increasingly was more about just chillin' out at the resort, shopping, dining, or telling why they are just pimpin' it out.

That said, the first half of that second decade (up until mid-1996) was still quite a bit more music-focused than the second half, where the only decent thing to come out of it was TRL. The PM hours were pretty music-free. That said, the primary nostalgists for MTV's second decade are Xennials and early Millenials (1977-1986), whereas Gen Xers (and even some late Boomers due to some classic shows that they would play) would rather appreciate VH1 from the same era. An old thread described what the "M" in MTV stood for in the first three decades; whereas it was Music in its first and Moronic in its third, it was "Media" in its second, since this was the time that MTV News was at its most pervasive in terms of its coverage, and even had a daily rock show for much of this time frame, in contrast to just weekly for the later portion of its first decade. TRL is as much of a media show as a music show for instance due to the talking segments, and even earlier in the decade, there was a popular talkback program as well. I just call the second decade "Silver Age MTV" like people call the early-mid '00s "Silver Age Nickelodeon" if that's fair enough.

Xennials are early Millennials who do not like to be referred to as flat out Millennials. I think you meant to say Millennials born from 1987 to 1991 or 1992. Xennials can roll with both the first decade of MTV and the second decade of MTV, but Millennials tend to prefer the second decade of MTV to the first.

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/28/20 at 1:31 am

I preferred the first way when it was primarily music. However I rarely got to experience it because we didn’t have cable. I did get to experience vh1 and cmt in college mid 90s. And for awhile in the 2000s cmt still had all music. And mtv2 had all music but it was some weird stuff like groove armada at the river, heard that one the most.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/28/20 at 11:56 am

I preferred the first way when it was primarily music. However I rarely got to experience it because we didn’t have cable. I did get to experience vh1 and cmt in college mid 90s. And for awhile in the 2000s cmt still had all music. And mtv2 had all music but it was some weird stuff like groove armada at the river, heard that one the most.

MTV2 and CMT were both great in the early 2000s. A real treat for lovers of the 1st decade of MTV.

Written By: popguru85 on 04/14/20 at 11:40 pm

This was around the time where they only played music videos in the early morning or late night hours. They figured out that people would only tune in to see specific artists for a few minutes and then change the channel once that video was over. To keep the station broadcasting they had to create stuff like Real World, Remote Control, Beavis and Butthead, etc. so they could make money off advertising. It was easier to measure ratings for a 30 minute show rather than a 3-5 minute video.

Written By: Slashpop on 04/15/20 at 9:03 am

This was the best time for music along with 60s, 70s, and 80s.

You had a steady balance of really good music from 1991 to 1996 and maybe a few years after to some extent along with MTV2 in the early 2000s.

This was also great as some of the most talented and diverse acts in all genres were always on TV and the radio.

Wish the 2000s and 2010s were like that.

Would be cool to have MTV again airing old footage and new bands.

Don’t know why it can’t happen.

Written By: Howard on 04/16/20 at 7:39 am

You had a steady balance of really good music from 1991 to 1996 and maybe a few years after to some extent along with MTV2 in the early 2000s.

This was also great as some of the most talented and diverse acts in all genres were always on TV and the radio.

I think it's more of the demographic that has changed MTV, today's kids are not interested in yesterday's music but mostly of today's music.

Written By: violet_shy on 04/18/20 at 1:39 am

1997 was also a great year for music.

Written By: Howard on 04/18/20 at 3:13 pm

Didn't the second decade of MTV have the reality shows? ???

Written By: Slashpop on 04/18/20 at 4:42 pm

Didn't the second decade of MTV have the reality shows? ???

I think it was just the real world maybe a few others. You had really good animated shows and interesting programs.

Even in the early 2000s MTV2 would air a lot of good rock music and you also had shows like Jackass

Written By: Slashpop on 04/18/20 at 4:47 pm

1997 was also a great year for music.

Yeah. For me I could see how early 1997 could be golden age. Even 1990 was pretty good.

Rest of 1997 to 1998 was good but not golden in my opinion.

Written By: Howard on 04/19/20 at 4:15 am

I think it was just the real world maybe a few others. You had really good animated shows and interesting programs.

Even in the early 2000s MTV2 would air a lot of good rock music and you also had shows like Jackass

I was more of the early 80's MTV era generation.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/19/20 at 1:30 pm

It sucked but there were a few shows that I really liked-Remote Control being one of them. I REALLY hated Beevis & Butthead but loved Daria. Every now and again I would watch Singled Out if there was nothing else on. But, they basically took the "M" out of MTV.

Cat

Written By: Slashpop on 04/19/20 at 1:45 pm

If they gave more exposure to underground type artists like they did first half of the 90s MTV would have been the absolute best in the 80s my opinion.

Stuff like hardcore punk, gothic rock, indie rock, industrial, thrash metal etc which were from I understand more on public access television if anything. With the exception of very late 80s. 

Wasn’t really my time but yeah classic MTV 1981-1987ish still is great.

Just felt a potion of the 90s had this really good balance of music and quality artists and was like the peak of creative music videos.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/19/20 at 2:02 pm

It sucked but there were a few shows that I really liked-Remote Control being one of them. I REALLY hated Beevis & Butthead but loved Daria. Every now and again I would watch Singled Out if there was nothing else on. But, they basically took the "M" out of MTV.

Cat
I hated Beevis & Butthead too, and the last thing I can recall watching was a big brother type of program with the arrangement of a group of people living in one place of accommodation and the life patterns that ensued.

Written By: Howard on 04/20/20 at 4:07 am

Cat

I did watch Remote Control when it was on MTV.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/20/20 at 4:25 am

I hated Beevis & Butthead too, and the last thing I can recall watching was a big brother type of program with the arrangement of a group of people living in one place of accommodation and the life patterns that ensued.
Can anyone remember the title of this big brother type program?

Written By: Slashpop on 04/20/20 at 7:08 am

I did watch Remote Control when it was on MTV.

There was an nes and Pc
video game of it in the early 90s. Not a bad game

Written By: Slashpop on 04/20/20 at 7:08 am

Can anyone remember the title of this big brother type program?

The real world ?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/20/20 at 7:18 am

The real world ?
Thank you, that's the one. There was a series set in London, and brought to my attention was I recognised the location of !the flat that was used to house the competitors.

Written By: Ripley on 04/29/20 at 4:30 pm

Thank you, that's the one. There was a series set in London, and brought to my attention was I recognised the location of !the flat that was used to house the competitors.

Road Trip was like this but was on the road. Real World had several seasons in different cities. It wasn’t the best show but it was better than the reality crap we get now like the Kardashians and Real Housewife’s.  8-P

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/30/20 at 2:07 am

Road Trip was like this but was on the road. Real World had several seasons in different cities. It wasn’t the best show but it was better than the reality crap we get now like the Kardashians and Real Housewife’s.  8-P
The only thing I know about the Kardashians  is who their father was and what he did the line of his work.

Check for new replies or respond here...