inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Cosby Show Vs. Family Matters

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/26/20 at 6:31 pm

Upper class versus middle class. Eddie Winslow versus Theo Huxtable. The mid to late 80s (ignoring the early 90s years) versus the very late 80s into the 90s. Which show was the better show? Which show reflected the times best? Did Family Matters need an ultra nerdy neighbor? Was Family MattersFull House in Chicago”. Discuss here.

Subject: Re: The Cosby Show Vs. Family Matters

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/26/20 at 7:03 pm

Upper class versus middle class. Eddie Winslow versus Theo Huxtable. The mid to late 80s (ignoring the early 90s years) versus the very late 80s into the 90s. Which show was the better show? Which show reflected the times best? Did Family Matters need an ultra nerdy neighbor? Was Family MattersFull House in Chicago”. Discuss here.

Cosby show. I liked family matters early on but once urkel took over the show they lost me. I do think each reflected the times they were in. Cosby 80s and family matters 90s.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/26/20 at 7:14 pm

Cosby show. I liked family matters early on but once urkel took over the show they lost me. I do think each reflected the times they were in. Cosby 80s and family matters 90s.

When did you stop watching each?

Written By: Howard on 03/27/20 at 7:56 am

Definitely The Cosby Show.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/27/20 at 9:00 am

Definitely The Cosby Show.

Why do you say that?

Written By: Howard on 03/27/20 at 2:21 pm

Why do you say that?

It was just a funnier show.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/27/20 at 2:29 pm

It was just a funnier show.

Was it all Cosby that you laughed at or was it the other characters?

Written By: Howard on 03/27/20 at 2:50 pm

Was it all Cosby that you laughed at or was it the other characters?

Bill Cosby made the show.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/27/20 at 3:00 pm

Bill Cosby made the show.

Agreed. Theeeeeeeee-oh!  ;D

Written By: nally on 03/27/20 at 4:55 pm

I was more of a Family Matters fan.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/27/20 at 5:42 pm

I was more of a Family Matters fan.

Were you ever annoyed by Steve Urkel?

Written By: robby76 on 03/27/20 at 9:44 pm

I really never got the whole Steve Urkel thing. I mean just so annoying and hammy. I suppose it was for kids though.

Cosby Show in the 90s was still okay. Not sure how funny it was as never watch the later seasons really.

Written By: nally on 03/27/20 at 9:47 pm

Were you ever annoyed by Steve Urkel?

No. In fact, when I first stumbled across the show, his wittiness was what caught my attention. And as I began to watch the show more, I got more acquainted with other aspects of it.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/27/20 at 9:52 pm

I really never got the whole Steve Urkel thing. I mean just so annoying and hammy.

Very true. You could see Steve’s clumsy movements from minutes away.

Written By: nally on 03/27/20 at 9:57 pm

Very true. You could see Steve’s clumsy movements from minutes away.

Yeah, he had plenty of them.

He also helped other people see what they were doing wrong; sometimes he'd be the voice of reason. For example, a season 3 episode in which Laura runs for student body president against a snobbish girl named Cassielynn Nubbles, and Steve calls out Cassielynn for blackmailing.
GN6Z3UmvS5U

Actually, here's a clip of the whole segment (sorry it's in letterbox view, that's all they had on Youtube): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2MYbiDZ1sg

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/27/20 at 10:42 pm

Yeah, he had plenty of them.

He also helped other people see what they were doing wrong; sometimes he'd be the voice of reason. For example, a season 3 episode in which Laura runs for student body president against a snobbish girl named Cassielynn Nubbles, and Steve calls out Cassielynn for blackmailing.
Actually, here's a clip of the whole segment (sorry it's in letterbox view, that's all they had on Youtube): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2MYbiDZ1sg

Urkel was overexposed and took too much away from the show. I’m starting to miss the fall of 1989 episodes before Urkel showed up. I liked the cast well enough that I could see a sitcom about the Winslow family without wanting Urkel in a scene.

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/27/20 at 10:57 pm

Urkel was overexposed and took too much away from the show. I’m starting to miss the fall of 1989 episodes before Urkel showed up. I liked the cast well enough that I could see a sitcom about the Winslow family without wanting Urkel in a scene.

I  totally agree with you here. I preferred it when the show started and it was more about the Winslows than urkel. Even originally the intro had a beautiful theme song. Later they changed it to a more bouncy theme because the show turned into a comedy about urkel. I mean urkel had funny moments once in a while, if kept in small doses.

Then there was the part where they sent little Judy to her room, only to fall off the face of the earth.

Written By: nally on 03/28/20 at 10:59 am

Those first-season episodes had a completely different feel than those from, say, '91 onward. When Urkel was brought into the show, it went in a whole new direction, and I think it boosted the ratings. And he became a central character in many of the episodes.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/28/20 at 11:46 am

I  totally agree with you here. I preferred it when the show started and it was more about the Winslows than urkel. Even originally the intro had a beautiful theme song. Later they changed it to a more bouncy theme because the show turned into a comedy about urkel. I mean urkel had funny moments once in a while, if kept in small doses.

Then there was the part where they sent little Judy to her room, only to fall off the face of the earth.

I abhor the episodes where Urkel being Urkel does something against the Winslows and then the Winslow’s must apologize to Urkel. Urkel’s appearance in the rest of the season 1 episodes was forced. I like Jaleel White as an actor, but the writers of Family Matters went too far with Urkel.

Those first-season episodes had a completely different feel than those from, say, '91 onward. When Urkel was brought into the show, it went in a whole new direction, and I think it boosted the ratings. And he became a central character in many of the episodes.

Sometimes I can tolerate Urkel, but there should have been a spin-off for Urkel (either in the form of a cartoon or live-action). It wasn’t Family Matters anymore with Urkel as a regular and even a little before he became a regular.

Written By: nally on 03/28/20 at 2:30 pm

Sometimes I can tolerate Urkel, but there should have been a spin-off for Urkel (either in the form of a cartoon or live-action). It wasn’t Family Matters anymore with Urkel as a regular and even a little before he became a regular.

Yeah, the character could have had potential in his own show...but by the time Family Matters ended its 9 year run (in '98), Jaleel White was already in his 20s, and I don't know what potential his Urkel character could've had as an adult... although during the course of the show, his character development showed him getting less clumsy.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/28/20 at 2:31 pm

Yeah, the character could have had potential in his own show...but by the time Family Matters ended its 9 year run (in '98), Jaleel White was already in his 20s, and I don't know what potential his Urkel character could've had as an adult... although during the course of the show, his character development showed him getting less clumsy.

A show titled Urkel could have been produced in late 1991. Missed opportunity! Big time!

Written By: Howard on 03/28/20 at 3:47 pm

Agreed. Theeeeeeeee-oh!  ;D

And his stupid facial expressions.

https://patch.com/img/cdn/users/22824890/2014/11/raw/547360d7b5aa4.jpg

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/28/20 at 3:49 pm

And his stupid facial expressions.

https://patch.com/img/cdn/users/22824890/2014/11/raw/547360d7b5aa4.jpg

True. Cosby was the show.  ;D

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/31/20 at 11:22 am

Family Matters was a good wholesome family sitcom from 1989 to early 1991.

The Cosby Show, on the other hand, was a great show from beginning to finish. The Cosby Show is the clear winner. Family Matters would not even exist if not for the popularity of The Cosby Show in the late 1980s.

Written By: nally on 03/31/20 at 6:20 pm

Family Matters was a good wholesome family sitcom from 1989 to early 1991.

Opinions may vary, but there were some good aspects/episodes about the show in later seasons (some of which I for one liked, to some extent). But it wasn't much the same towards the end.

The Cosby Show, on the other hand, was a great show from beginning to finish. The Cosby Show is the clear winner. Family Matters would not even exist if not for the popularity of The Cosby Show in the late 1980s.

I guess that did help boost the popularity.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/31/20 at 6:38 pm

Opinions may vary, but there were some good aspects/episodes about the show in later seasons (some of which I for one liked, to some extent). But it wasn't much the same towards the end.

Which episodes from the latter seasons did you like?

Family Matters became The Urkel Variety Half Hour Show from late 1991 to 1998.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D4C2yCHU0AAb-qZ.jpg

Written By: nally on 04/01/20 at 12:38 am

One that readily comes to mind is "Dream Date" from the 7th season. Steve and Laura's respective dates are unable to accompany them to the prom, so they agree to go to the prom together...provided that Steve behaves himself. At the event, Laura and Steve go out on the terrace; in the process, Steve moves a chair, and one of the prom guests sits on it the wrong way, prompting the start of a mayhem inside the room (unbeknownst to Laura, who has her back to the scene (which is viewed through the glass window) the whole time...as she eventually shares a kiss with Steve, and she thanks him for not causing any problems). Boy band Immature guest-stars in that scene (I believe they appear before Urkel and Laura go outside). In the B-plot, Harriette's former boss Nick Niedermeyer moves next door to the Winslows and instantly takes a disliking to Carl (however, the two men had met in an earlier episode where they play poker); their feud escalates into the back yard...until Harriette breaks 'em up and gets them to agree on something (although Harriette tells Nick: "THIS is a load of manure", which she places on Nick's head).

Written By: Howard on 04/01/20 at 4:25 am

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D4C2yCHU0AAb-qZ.jpg

There was an episode where he started acting normal and his name was Steven Q.Urkel or was it Stephan? ???

Written By: oldmusicfan on 04/01/20 at 9:21 am

One that readily comes to mind is "Dream Date" from the 7th season. Steve and Laura's respective dates are unable to accompany them to the prom, so they agree to go to the prom together...provided that Steve behaves himself. At the event, Laura and Steve go out on the terrace; in the process, Steve moves a chair, and one of the prom guests sits on it the wrong way, prompting the start of a mayhem inside the room (unbeknownst to Laura, who has her back to the scene (which is viewed through the glass window) the whole time...as she eventually shares a kiss with Steve, and she thanks him for not causing any problems). Boy band Immature guest-stars in that scene (I believe they appear before Urkel and Laura go outside). In the B-plot, Harriette's former boss Nick Niedermeyer moves next door to the Winslows and instantly takes a disliking to Carl (however, the two men had met in an earlier episode where they play poker); their feud escalates into the back yard...until Harriette breaks 'em up and gets them to agree on something (although Harriette tells Nick: "THIS is a load of manure", which she places on Nick's head).

Laura really gave Steve a break in the latter seasons. That was out of character for Laura Winslow. The Laura and Steve’s relationship felt as forced as Steve’s clumsiness.

There was an episode where he started acting normal and his name was Steven Q.Urkel or was it Stephan? ???

Most likely Stephan.

Written By: nally on 04/01/20 at 12:16 pm

Laura really gave Steve a break in the latter seasons. That was out of character for Laura Winslow. The Laura and Steve’s relationship felt as forced as Steve’s clumsiness.

Well, after years of character development, Urkel's clumsiness began to tone down, and Laura began to accept him for his real self (even after he didn't transform into his alter ego Stefan Urkelle anymore).

Written By: oldmusicfan on 04/01/20 at 4:10 pm

Well, after years of character development, Urkel's clumsiness began to tone down, and Laura began to accept him for his real self (even after he didn't transform into his alter ego Stefan Urkelle anymore).

What were the worst episodes of the latter seasons for you?

Written By: Howard on 04/02/20 at 8:05 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6ef62ngfXE
Stefan

Written By: oldmusicfan on 04/02/20 at 9:21 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6ef62ngfXE
Stefan

That’s when the show was too much about Steve Urkel.

Written By: Howard on 04/02/20 at 2:32 pm

That’s when the show was too much about Steve Urkel.

Do you think Jaleel White broke character in this episode?

Written By: oldmusicfan on 04/02/20 at 3:42 pm

Do you think Jaleel White broke character in this episode?

Jaleel White wanted to break character because he was getting really tired of playing Urkel in the years ‘91 to ‘93, so Stephan Urquelle was created. I wish there were more  episodes about the Winslows, especially Judy and Eddie.

Written By: nally on 04/02/20 at 5:19 pm

I wish there were more episodes about the Winslows, especially Judy and Eddie.

Well, Judy was mysteriously eliminated in 1993. The writers of the show eliminated her because she was gradually losing focus especially from 1991 to 1993. During that span she was limited to no more than a cameo. I think Urkel's popularity was overshadowing Judy. And starting with the 5th season, she was no longer in the opening credits; the Winslows didn't even make any mention of her during that span; it was as if she never existed. (However, I think in one episode when Eddie rebelliously moves out because he was fed up with Carl yelling at him, Carl visits Eddie at his apartment and tells him that Judy is having a birthday pretty soon; I forget what season that was. Wait...I'm looking that up, and it was in season 4, Judy's final season.) So yeah, Judy was written out of the show without any on-screen explanation whatsoever.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 04/02/20 at 5:22 pm

Well, Judy was mysteriously eliminated in 1993. The writers of the show eliminated her because she was gradually losing focus especially from 1991 to 1993. During that span she was limited to no more than a cameo. I think Urkel's popularity was overshadowing Judy. And starting with the 5th season, she was no longer in the opening credits; the Winslows didn't even make any mention of her during that span; it was as if she never existed. (However, I think in one episode when Eddie rebelliously moves out because he was fed up with Carl yelling at him, Carl visits Eddie at his apartment and tells him that Judy is having a birthday pretty soon; I forget what season that was. Wait...I'm looking that up, and it was in season 4, Judy's final season.) So yeah, Judy was written out of the show without any on-screen explanation whatsoever.

Then, Carl told Harriet in a late 1993 episode that they had two children. I don’t watch the ‘93 episodes anymore. Too superficial and supernatural.

Written By: nally on 04/02/20 at 5:24 pm

Then, Carl told Harriet in a late 1993 episode that they had two children. I don’t watch the ‘93 episodes anymore. Too superficial and supernatural.

Yep. That's a prime example of retcon (retroactive continuity). ::)

Written By: Howard on 04/03/20 at 7:32 am

Jaleel White wanted to break character because he was getting really tired of playing Urkel in the years ‘91 to ‘93, so Stephan Urquelle was created. I wish there were more  episodes about the Winslows, especially Judy and Eddie.

I think portraying a black nerd probably got a bit tiresome.

Check for new replies or respond here...