inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Toys for Yers From The 1990s

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/26/20 at 7:25 pm

What toys were the best new toys of the 90s for Generation Y?

Here’s my list:

1) Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers by Bandai (1993)

tVshXDFQpvA

2) The Uncanny X-Men by Toy Biz (1991)

Cu9aHVT2dTs

3) Toy Story by Thinkway Toys (1995)

4) WWF by Hasbro (1990)

5) Star Wars Power Of The Force (1995)

Subject: Re: Best Toys for Yers From The 1990s

Written By: Slashpop on 03/28/20 at 2:57 am

What toys were the best new toys of the 90s for Generation Y?

Here’s my list:

1) Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers by Bandai (1993)

tVshXDFQpvA

2) The Uncanny X-Men by Toy Biz (1991)

Cu9aHVT2dTs

3) Toy Story by Thinkway Toys (1995)

4) WWF by Hasbro (1990)

5) Star Wars Power Of The Force (1995)

Waa!

Almost everything released in Late 1988 to 1992 is worth owning.

Especially stuff like beetle juice, police academy, real ghostbusters etc

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/28/20 at 11:52 am

Waa!

Almost everything released in Late 1988 to 1992 is worth owning.

Especially stuff like beetle juice, police academy, real ghostbusters etc

The toys you mentioned were toys owned by Generation XY, not Yers.

Written By: Slashpop on 03/28/20 at 1:03 pm

The toys you mentioned were toys owned by Generation XY, not Yers.

If someone was born between Anywhere from 1981 to 1988 or 1989 they were likely to encounter these toys.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/28/20 at 1:36 pm

If someone was born between Anywhere from 1981 to 1988 or 1989 they were likely to encounter these toys.

Someone born in 1987 to 1989 would have missed out on the earliest waves of The Real Ghostbusters and Police Academy. The miniature Beetlejuice figurines could have been swallowed by 1987 to 1989 borns.

1981 to 1986 borns are XYers.

Written By: Slashpop on 03/28/20 at 2:16 pm

Someone born in 1987 to 1989 would have missed out on the earliest waves of The Real Ghostbusters and Police Academy. The miniature Beetlejuice figurines could have been swallowed by 1987 to 1989 borns.

1981 to 1986 borns are XYers.

I thought it was 1978 to 1983? Anyways

You mean the vanishing graveyard  miniature or accessories ones with the figures ...

Kids could swallow anything. Possibly.

I would guess  2-4 year olds back in 1990 to early 1994 might have able to get them stuff from a years earlier for discount. Not entirely sure but likely.

I’m assuming this might be so because I  might have held toys for longer back then. Remembering...

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/28/20 at 2:23 pm

^ 1975 to 1986 are Xennials. Where did you get 1978 from?

Beetlejuice, The Real Ghostbusters, and Police Academy figures were all on clearance from the early 90s into the mid 90s, but all of those toy lines were produced in the 1980s.

In this thread, we are discussing toys made in the 90s.  :)

Written By: Slashpop on 03/28/20 at 2:27 pm

^ 1975 to 1986 are Xennials. Where did you get 1978 from?

Beetlejuice, The Real Ghostbusters, and Police Academy figures were all on clearance from the early 90s into the mid 90s, but all of those toy lines were produced in the 1980s.

In this thread, we are discussing toys made in the 90s.  :)

Okay taking bart simspon dolls are one.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/28/20 at 2:30 pm

Okay taking bart simspon dolls are one.

The DanDee Bart dolls!

Even though XYers collected these, I’ve always loved The Simpsons toy line by Mattel:

nG0Kv2mv7oA

Written By: Slashpop on 03/28/20 at 2:39 pm

The DanDee Bart dolls!

Even though XYers collected these, I’ve always loved The Simpsons toy line by Mattel:

nG0Kv2mv7oA

Yes ! There are so dandee variants many to collect.

The foreign Mattel ones are harder to find and can be expensive.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/28/20 at 3:16 pm

Yes ! There are so dandee variants many to collect.

Have you seen the unproduced DanDee rag dolls of Marge and Homer yet?

The foreign Mattel ones are harder to find and can be expensive.

The Ninja Barts! Have you seen the Save Blinky Bart Simpson mail-away from Mattel?

Written By: Slashpop on 03/28/20 at 3:38 pm

Have you seen the unproduced DanDee rag dolls of Marge and Homer yet?

The Ninja Barts! Have you seen the Save Blinky Bart Simpson mail-away from Mattel?

I was considering buying the nelson, Otto and bullies prototype dandee hard head 1990 dolls from the son a guy who made them back in 2010 I think. But the price was way to high!

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/28/20 at 3:51 pm

I was considering buying the nelson, Otto and bullies prototype dandee hard head 1990 dolls from the son a guy who made them back in 2010 I think. But the price was way to high!

They were unproduced, so of course, they fetch for high prices on eBay.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EPYOUbjW4AAZRo0.jpg

Written By: Slashpop on 03/28/20 at 4:07 pm

They were unproduced, so of course, they fetch for high prices on eBay.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EPYOUbjW4AAZRo0.jpg

Yeah clearly point being I couldn’t afford them.

Once in a lifetime thing to come across them.

But the ones he had weren’t painted. And included all the bullies. Also a blinky. Super rare I couldn’t even find a picture.

Are those 4x5 slide transparencies? Site ? Yours?

He had the bullies and Otto?

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/28/20 at 4:20 pm

Yeah clearly point being I couldn’t afford them.

Once in a lifetime thing to come across them.

But the ones he had weren’t painted. And included all the bullies. Also a blinky. Super rare I couldn’t even find a picture.

Are those 4x5 slide transparencies? Site ? Yours?

He had the bullies and Otto?

I know what you’re talking about. The unpainted prototype for Otto appeared in one of The Simpsons collector guides from the late 1990s and very early 2000s.

I had no idea Dandee dolls for Jimbo Jones and his two friends, Dolph and Kearney exist. I’ve never seen the Blinky Dandee doll.

Those are 4 by 5 slide transparencies. They belong to the Instagram user Bart of Darkness.

Have you seen the unproduced Krusty the Clown by Mattel?

Written By: MSP10julia on 03/28/20 at 7:19 pm

Tamagotchi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YueDmq-w9X8

Furby
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHWcBbf0Eng

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/28/20 at 8:21 pm

Tamagotchi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YueDmq-w9X8

Furby
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHWcBbf0Eng

With some arms, Furby could almost be Gizmo the Mogwai.

Written By: Slashpop on 03/29/20 at 2:09 am

I know what you’re talking about. The unpainted prototype for Otto appeared in one of The Simpsons collector guides from the late 1990s and very early 2000s.

I had no idea Dandee dolls for Jimbo Jones and his two friends, Dolph and Kearney exist. I’ve never seen the Blinky Dandee doll.

Those are 4 by 5 slide transparencies. They belong to the Instagram user Bart of Darkness.

Have you seen the unproduced Krusty the Clown by Mattel?

I think he might have it later on unpainted as well but I can’t confirm it.

Links are expired.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/29/20 at 10:19 am

I think he might have it later on unpainted as well but I can’t confirm it.

Links are expired.

We would have gotten more Mattel Simpsons figures if only XYers and Yers wanted Simpsons action figures and not shirts.

http://www.simpsonscollectors.com/images/releases/mattel_wave2.jpg

Written By: Slashpop on 03/29/20 at 11:03 am

We would have gotten more Mattel Simpsons figures if only XYers and Yers wanted Simpsons action figures and not shirts.

http://www.simpsonscollectors.com/images/releases/mattel_wave2.jpg

Call me crazy but I would pay a lot of money if someone had those now. I have all mattel 1990 items stuff mint on card.

Seems like by 1992 or  after there were barely any simpsons toys for a while... sad wish they released those playmates  figures back during the peak of the show.

They reissued the classic bart shirts last year and throughout the 2010s. I'm sure many were made flimsy t-shirt material and were likely rescanned from some image as opposed to the older screening methods. That's problem with so many new shirts.

There are a number of new bootleg figures trying to be like the classic mattel figures from 1990 that go for $$$

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/29/20 at 11:15 am

Call me crazy but I would pay a lot of money if someone had those now. I have all mattel 1990 items stuff mint on card.

Seems like by 1992 or  after there were barely any simpsons toys for a while... sad wish they released those playmates  figures back during the peak of the show.

They reissued the classic bart shirts last year and throughout the 2010s. I'm sure many were made flimsy t-shirt material and were likely rescanned from some image as opposed to the older screening methods. That's problem with so many new shirts.

There are a number of new bootleg figures trying to be like the classic mattel figures from 1990 that go for $$$

The Playmates Toys World of Springfield figures could only come out in the 2000s. In the very early 1990s, The Simpsons were about the Simpsons. Then, in 1992, all of that changed with episodes like Flaming Moes and Kamp Krusty.

I know precisely which shirts and bootleg toys you are referring to, but nothing compares to the originals. 1990 was one hell of a year for Simpsons fans. Greatest thing to come out of the 1990s was The Simpsons. I’m a Groening fan to this day because of what I witnessed in 1990.

Written By: Slashpop on 03/29/20 at 11:56 am

The Playmates Toys World of Springfield figures could only come out in the 2000s. In the very early 1990s, The Simpsons were about the Simpsons. Then, in 1992, all of that changed with episodes like Flaming Moes and Kamp Krusty.

I know precisely which shirts and bootleg toys you are referring to, but nothing compares to the originals. 1990 was one hell of a year for Simpsons fans. Greatest thing to come out of the 1990s was The Simpsons. I’m a Groening fan to this day because of what I witnessed in 1990.

I know but in the post simpsons and bart mania era of the mid to late 90s instead of those comics and cards, I would have liked to see the playmates toys, which would have fit well considering the popularity, development and quality of the show by this period.

They had itchy and scratchy games and wrist watches at this time. Why couldn't they even make a plush back then?

I remember the show felt passe and boring by 1999 onwards, it almost felt retro to get those figures.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/29/20 at 3:01 pm

I know but in the post simpsons and bart mania era of the mid to late 90s instead of those comics and cards, I would have liked to see the playmates toys, which would have fit well considering the popularity, development and quality of the show by this period.

They had itchy and scratchy games and wrist watches at this time. Why couldn't they even make a plush back then?

I remember the show felt passe and boring by 1999 onwards, it almost felt retro to get those figures.

Unfortunately, the Mattel figures and other toy merchandise did not sell in the early 90s. So, 20th Century FOX tried to appeal to children of the mid to late 90s with reissues of the shirts from the early 90s, new shirts,  POGs, trading cards, and Bongo Comics comics. The sales of that memorabilia was never close to that of the shirts in the early 1990s.

I think the Ren and Stimpy stuff outsold the Itchy and Scratch items in the mid 1990s. The Ren and Stimpy Show was the latest cartoon in those days and Millennials loved their 90s Nickelodeon. Win win for Nickelodeon. Point down for fans of new age adult cartoons.

The Mattel figures were much harder to find any place in the early 2000s than Lisa and Maggie were in late 1990 and early 1991.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/29/20 at 3:43 pm

A hard head Krusty doll was made by the same company that brought us the Simpsons dolls that came with a meal from Burger King in 1990:

http://blueberryhill.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/SimpsonsDisplay.jpg

Written By: Slashpop on 03/29/20 at 5:10 pm

Is that your collection ? Nice stuff.

I have the krusty doll from 1993. Just tempering I think in Europe they had some figures of outside the main ones. In mid to late 90s. Basing this on the collectables Simpsons book.

A hard head Krusty doll was made by the same company that brought us the Simpsons dolls that came with a meal from Burger King in 1990:

http://blueberryhill.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/SimpsonsDisplay.jpg

Written By: Slashpop on 03/29/20 at 5:23 pm

Unfortunately, the Mattel figures and other toy merchandise did not sell in the early 90s. So, 20th Century FOX tried to appeal to children of the mid to late 90s with reissues of the shirts from the early 90s, new shirts,  POGs, trading cards, and Bongo Comics comics. The sales of that memorabilia was never close to that of the shirts in the early 1990s.

I think the Ren and Stimpy stuff outsold the Itchy and Scratch items in the mid 1990s. The Ren and Stimpy Show was the latest cartoon in those days and Millennials loved their 90s Nickelodeon. Win win for Nickelodeon. Point down for fans of new age adult cartoons.

The Mattel figures were much harder to find any place in the early 2000s than Lisa and Maggie were in late 1990 and early 1991.

I remember bart dolls and talking bart dolls were quite common in the early 90s compared the figures.

I remember the Simpsons becoming a collectible thing around 1997-1998. I’m sure in the early 2000s they were more expensive but even back then there were websites selling stuff as collectible.

Ren and Stimpy had hard and soft dolls and interesting variety of figures.

It just would have been interesting to buy a radioactive man figure in 1993 instead of a decade later. Oh well.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/29/20 at 7:04 pm

Is that your collection ? Nice stuff.

I have the krusty doll from 1993. Just tempering I think in Europe they had some figures of outside the main ones. In mid to late 90s. Basing this on the collectables Simpsons book.

I wish.  ;D

I found that picture online.

I remember bart dolls and talking bart dolls were quite common in the early 90s compared the figures.

I remember the Simpsons becoming a collectible thing around 1997-1998. I’m sure in the early 2000s they were more expensive but even back then there were websites selling stuff as collectible.

Ren and Stimpy had hard and soft dolls and interesting variety of figures.

It just would have been interesting to buy a radioactive man figure in 1993 instead of a decade later. Oh well.

It seemed like there were millions of Bart dolls towards the end of 1990. We still wanted the shirts with Bart on them in those last months of 1990.

I agree with you. There should have been PVC figurines or action figures in 1993 when The Simpsons were still on top. Sadly, the DanDee and Jesco stuff was on clearance at many places like Walmart and Kay Bee Toys in the mid 90s.

Written By: Slashpop on 03/30/20 at 11:34 am

I wish.  ;D

I found that picture online.

It seemed like there were millions of Bart dolls towards the end of 1990. We still wanted the shirts with Bart on them in those last months of 1990.

I agree with you. There should have been PVC figurines or action figures in 1993 when The Simpsons were still on top. Sadly, the DanDee and Jesco stuff was on clearance at many places like Walmart and Kay Bee Toys in the mid 90s.

It seems like everyone had a bart simpson talking doll or bootleg one or some kind of figure at that time. Funny because people were wearing those t-shirts from 1990 all the way into 1998 and 1999 as hand me downs or worn out shirts.

In europe, south american or possibly africa they had more dolls and figures in the mid 90s

This is a sonic youth video from 1990 with simpsons toys and t-shirts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lWwdpBeZd0

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/30/20 at 12:52 pm

It seems like everyone had a bart simpson talking doll or bootleg one or some kind of figure at that time. Funny because people were wearing those t-shirts from 1990 all the way into 1998 and 1999 as hand me downs or worn out shirts.

In europe, south american or possibly africa they had more dolls and figures in the mid 90s

This is a sonic youth video from 1990 with simpsons toys and t-shirts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lWwdpBeZd0

That Sonic Youth video is totally 1990. It should be shown as part of a 90s time capsule.

Check for new replies or respond here...