inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Trading Card Culture of the 90s

Written By: Slashpop on 04/01/20 at 6:51 am

There seemed to be consistency in collectible  fads throughout the entire 90s. One thing that stands out the most are the trading cards and to some extent pogs which everyone collected, not just the nerds.

I remember there used to be a lot of excitement around cards, largely due to exclusive and clear art/photos and info you couldn't find elsewhere but the cards, which is something harder to understand during the internet age where it is easy to look things up. Also the value hype which really sucked people into collecting.

It seems they functioned as information sources, a way of gathering knowledge about your favorite team or comic book line etc,  as well collectors items and we were told they would drastically increase in value later on.

Unfortunately there was a saturation and market crash, and a lot of them aren't worth much nowadays.

By very end of the 90s the same collecting fads were seen as a waste of money, passe and the internet by then made it much easier to look up info/pictures, kind of taking away from the magic to some extent. 

Early 90s

Movie/cartoon, novelty and baseball cards

Mid 90s:

Marvel and DC cards were all the rage
Basketball cards were HUGE
Pogs were massive

Late/End of 90s:

Pogs present but dying
Last phase of Basketball cards popularity
The start of CCG getting really popular

Which series did you complete? What did you like most?

Subject: Re: Trading Card Culture of the 90s

Written By: oldmusicfan on 04/01/20 at 9:16 am

There seemed to be consistency in collectible  fads throughout the entire 90s. One thing that stands out the most are the trading cards and to some extent pogs which everyone collected, not just the nerds.

I remember there used to be a lot of excitement around cards, largely due to exclusive and clear art/photos and info you couldn't find elsewhere but the cards, which is something harder to understand during the internet age where it is easy to look things up. Also the value hype which really sucked people into collecting.

It seems they functioned as information sources, a way of gathering knowledge about your favorite team or comic book line etc,  as well collectors items and we were told they would drastically increase in value later on.

Unfortunately there was a saturation and market crash, and a lot of them aren't worth much nowadays.

By very end of the 90s the same collecting fads were seen as a waste of money, passe and the internet by then made it much easier to look up info/pictures, kind of taking away from the magic to some extent. 

Early 90s

Mid 90s:

Pogs were massive

Late/End of 90s:

Pogs present but dying

Which series did you complete? What did you like most?

Here’s how I remember it:

Early 90s

Mid 90s:

Late/End of 90s:

POGs were massive

2000s:

Written By: Slashpop on 04/01/20 at 9:43 am

Here’s how I remember it:

Early 90s

Mid 90s:

Late/End of 90s:

POGs were massive

2000s:

I agree 1999 is Y2K. I'm talking about Magic, Overpower and other TCGs becoming more mainstream and popular when basketball cards and pogs were loosing steam during 1997-1998.

Written By: fusefan on 04/01/20 at 10:55 am

The only trading cards I knew were at the end of the 90s... POKEMON!  :D

Written By: oldmusicfan on 04/01/20 at 11:20 am

Pokèmon cards were released at the end of the 90s, but they were a Y2K era thing.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 04/01/20 at 10:30 pm

What were the best trading cards of the 90s?

I always liked Marvel Universe by Impel in the early 90s.

https://thecaptainbritainblog.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/captain-britain-marvel-universe-series-1-1990.jpg

The outline for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 Secret Of The Ooze trading cards was the best.

https://itsastampede615821596-files-wordpress-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/itsastampede615821596.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/tmnt-03.jpg

I feel like the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers trading cards with pogs from the mid 90s were great too.

Written By: 2001 on 04/01/20 at 11:10 pm

That and Yugioh in the early 2000s.

Written By: Howard on 04/02/20 at 7:58 am

The only cards I collected were Cabbage Patch Kids.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 04/02/20 at 1:02 pm

The only cards I collected were Cabbage Patch Kids.

There were Cabbage Patch Kids trading cards? I know there were stickers that came in the Cabbage Patch Kids Cereal, but I’ve never heard of trading cards. Can you find photos of them online?

Written By: Howard on 04/02/20 at 2:30 pm

There were Cabbage Patch Kids trading cards? I know there were stickers that came in the Cabbage Patch Kids Cereal, but I’ve never heard of trading cards. Can you find photos of them online?

Yes, You Can.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/07/50/7f/07507f4e877314ac476fc1d2700d432b.jpg
I still have mine and they're from 1986 and 1987, after that I stopped collecting them.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/20 at 2:43 pm

Yes, You Can.

I still have mine and they're from 1986 and 1987, after that I stopped collecting them.
I am now glad I was involved with these.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 04/02/20 at 3:39 pm

Yes, You Can.

The 7-11 days of the 1980s. Did you collect any cards in the 90s?

Written By: Slashpop on 04/02/20 at 4:05 pm

What were the best trading cards of the 90s?

I always liked Marvel Universe by Impel in the early 90s.

https://thecaptainbritainblog.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/captain-britain-marvel-universe-series-1-1990.jpg

The outline for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 Secret Of The Ooze trading cards was the best.

https://itsastampede615821596-files-wordpress-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/itsastampede615821596.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/tmnt-03.jpg

I feel like the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers trading cards with pogs from the mid 90s were great too.

Cool. I liked TMNT stickers in general and the jumbo TMNT movie cards and the first cartoon series cards are still interesting collectables today. Nintendo had these scratch carts which were kind of game, I think from 1990? Pretty neat.

I prefer the mid 90s X-men and Spiderman cards, the artwork back then was really neat, even though a bit gimmicky, still is cool. A lot of dark and gritty design which was what them appealing. 1993 to 1996 has so many cool lines to get. Skybox, Fleer ultra etc. 

Problem is they made SO many superhero cards between 1990 and 1998. By 1998 or 1997 they lost appeal I think it is because there was a lot of computerized effects, repetitions or just too many choices..I can't remember exactly.

Honesty I forgot which pogs are the best, they were so easy too loose, if you lost the game,  and too many kinds. Still have the spawn pogs.

Recently repurchased an mint in box Terminator 2 cart set.

A lot the cards go for cheap which is great. Thank god we don't have to mostly pay 100s of dollars for mint sets with some exceptions.

Written By: Slashpop on 04/02/20 at 4:09 pm

Yes, You Can.

Cool. The first series from 1985 is worth a lot now. Too bad a lot of the younger kids from back them stuck them everywhere.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 04/02/20 at 5:20 pm

Cool. I liked TMNT stickers in general and the jumbo TMNT movie cards and the first cartoon series cards are still interesting collectables today. Nintendo had these scratch carts which were kind of game, I think from 1990? Pretty neat.

I prefer the mid 90s X-men and Spiderman cards, the artwork back then was really neat, even though a bit gimmicky, still is cool. A lot of dark and gritty design which was what them appealing. 1993 to 1996 has so many cool lines to get. Skybox, Fleer ultra etc. 

Problem is they made SO many superhero cards between 1990 and 1998. By 1998 or 1997 they lost appeal I think it is because there was a lot of computerized effects, repetitions or just too many choices..I can't remember exactly.

Honesty I forgot which pogs are the best, they were so easy too loose, if you lost the game,  and too many kinds. Still have the spawn pogs.

Recently repurchased an mint in box Terminator 2 cart set.

A lot the cards go for cheap which is great. Thank god we don't have to mostly pay 100s of dollars for mint sets with some exceptions.

The 1989 Topps Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series 1 cards are my favorites out of them all.

https://pulpephemera.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/1989-topps-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-58.jpg

I forgot all about the Topps Nintendo Game Pack cards from early 1990:

https://jasonvorhees.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/nintendo-game-pack-stickers.jpg

I can say without looking that these were some of the greatest cards of the 1990s next to The Simpsons and the TMNT 2 Secret Of The Ooze stuff from Topps.

https://perfectstrangersreviewed-files-wordpress-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/perfectstrangersreviewed.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/simsponscards.jpg

Were your Terminator 2 Judgement Day cards from Impel or Topps?

Written By: Howard on 04/03/20 at 7:33 am

The 7-11 days of the 1980s. Did you collect any cards in the 90s?

No I don't think I did.

Written By: Slashpop on 04/03/20 at 8:00 am

No I don't think I did.

Don’t think he is active anymore. Strange how the account just went.

Written By: Howard on 04/03/20 at 8:29 am

Don’t think he is active anymore. Strange how the account just went.

I kind of liked him, Was it because he was posting too many threads? ???

Written By: Slashpop on 04/03/20 at 4:34 pm

The 1989 Topps Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series 1 cards are my favorites out of them all.

https://pulpephemera.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/1989-topps-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-58.jpg

I forgot all about the Topps Nintendo Game Pack cards from early 1990:

https://jasonvorhees.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/nintendo-game-pack-stickers.jpg

I can say without looking that these were some of the greatest cards of the 1990s next to The Simpsons and the TMNT 2 Secret Of The Ooze stuff from Topps.

https://perfectstrangersreviewed-files-wordpress-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/perfectstrangersreviewed.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/simsponscards.jpg

Were your Terminator 2 Judgement Day cards from Impel or Topps?

I got both. :) And all those cards sets above. Great stuff for sure.

Written By: Slashpop on 04/05/20 at 5:10 am

I am now glad I was involved with these.

Do you recall any popular trading cards fads from the Uk during the 90s?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/05/20 at 5:29 am

Do you recall any popular trading cards fads from the Uk during the 90s?
I only recall Panini football stickers that were stuck into albums, but there must had been collecting cards available.

Written By: Slashpop on 04/05/20 at 10:36 am

I only recall Panini football stickers that were stuck into albums, but there must had been collecting cards available.

I would assume there may have been collectible football cards or pogs at this time.

Some european panini sets can go for quite a lot today.

Written By: BrandonB on 04/08/20 at 2:02 pm

Aside from the NFL and MLB cards which I collected avidly, I can recall a few other trading card sets from the 1990s.  Ren and Stimpy (along with the most of the other Nick Toons) had trading cards as well as The Simpsons. Long John Silvers featured a set of Ocean Animals. A friend of mine was (and still is) a massive Doctor Who fan and he showed me his folder of DW cards.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/08/20 at 2:09 pm

Some european panini sets can go for quite a lot today.
I am holding onto mine as an family heirloom.

Check for new replies or respond here...