inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The late 1998 shift

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 04/08/20 at 2:27 am

Here are the things that happened around late 1998:

-Cash Money and Roc-A-Fella replaces Bad Boy and No Limit as the two big labels in Hip Hop
-New shows like The King Of Queens and That 70s Show premier on TV
-Seinfeld and Family Matters ends
-Powerpuff Girls and Pokemon become huge phenomenons with children
-Nu-Metal starts to edge out Classic 90s Post-Grunge
-Britney Spears becomes very popular which later competes with Mandy Moore and Christina Aguilera in 1999
-The Max Martin Teen Pop/Pop R&B sound reaches its peak
-Initial Decline of Classic 90s Hip Hop-R&B and Adult Contemporary Ballads
-Latin Pop starts creeping in
-Frosted Tips and any form of Spiked Hair takes over the Bowl Cut/Curtained Hair
-The Y2K futuristic aesthetic fully takes over posters, commercials, and music videos
-House Designs start to lean for a more optimistic vibe
-iMac G3 and Gameboy Color gains traction, along with Windows 98
-The Simpsons are fully out of their golden age at this point
-Games like Ocarina of Time and Half Life become the two most popular games
-Dot Com bubble nearly reaches its pinnacle with Google and Lycos
-Trance music influences the Electro/Techno scene

Subject: Re: The late 1998 shift

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/08/20 at 3:12 am

The effects on industrial shift workers of the timing of the changeover from the night to morning shift and of the length of the shift were examined. Two groups changed over at 6 a.m. and worked either 8-hr or 12-hr shift systems; the other 2 groups changed over at 7 a.m., working either 8- or 12-hr systems. Night sleeps between consecutive shifts that started at 6 a.m. were shorter and more disrupted than those starting at 7 a.m. Day sleeps following night shifts that finished at 6 a.m. were longer and less disrupted than those finishing at 7 a.m. Early starts were associated with poorer psychological and physical health. These effects of changeover time are considered in relation to the circadian rhythms in sleep duration and propensity. Although several measures favored 12-hr shifts, physical health indicators appeared to favor 8-hr systems, especially in combination with late changeovers. However, the observed effects of shift length on chronic outcome measures are somewhat inconsistent with previous research findings.

Written By: Slashpop on 04/08/20 at 4:22 am

Here are the things that happened around late 1998:

-Cash Money and Roc-A-Fella replaces Bad Boy and No Limit as the two big labels in Hip Hop
-New shows like The King Of Queens and That 70s Show premier on TV
-Seinfeld and Family Matters ends
-Powerpuff Girls and Pokemon become huge phenomenons with children
-Nu-Metal starts to edge out Classic 90s Post-Grunge
-Britney Spears becomes very popular which later competes with Mandy Moore and Christina Aguilera in 1999
-The Max Martin Teen Pop/Pop R&B sound reaches its peak
-Initial Decline of Classic 90s Hip Hop-R&B and Adult Contemporary Ballads
-Latin Pop starts creeping in
-Frosted Tips and any form of Spiked Hair takes over the Bowl Cut/Curtained Hair
-The Y2K futuristic aesthetic fully takes over posters, commercials, and music videos
-House Designs start to lean for a more optimistic vibe
-iMac G3 and Gameboy Color gains traction, along with Windows 98
-The Simpsons are fully out of their golden age at this point
-Games like Ocarina of Time and Half Life become the two most popular games
-Dot Com bubble nearly reaches its pinnacle with Google and Lycos
-Trance music influences the Electro/Techno scene

Good points. This topic has been brought up a lot I’ve noticed but you polished some points here, so it has its merit.

Wanted to hear more of your take in the mid 1998 and late 1994 threads

Written By: Sman12 on 04/11/20 at 8:12 am

Pokémon Red and Blue are such classic games. People capturing and battling monsters in order to "catch 'em all" was a genius concept. I'm not a huge fan of the franchise myself (I've played some games of it), but I can appreciate the concept behind it.

The first season (Indigo League) was syndicated on multiple local TV stations until Kids' WB took the exclusive rights to it, and it became even more of a phenomenon, with the media subsequently calling it "Pokémania".

Here's an example of what I mean:

1Dl7YF5Mr8Q

I don't think the general public would be this excited about Pokémon until 17 years later with Pokémon GO in the summer of 2016. That game was everywhere.

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/11/20 at 8:53 am

Personally, I think the shift happened in late 1997 with bands like Smashmouth and Sugar Ray, and dance pop songs Barbie Girl and Daft Punk's "Around the World".

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/12/20 at 1:36 am

No disrespect early 10s guy, but the title should be called late 1998/1999 shift honestly... ;) ;D 

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/12/20 at 1:37 am

Personally, I think the shift happened in late 1997 with bands like Smashmouth and Sugar Ray, and dance pop songs Barbie Girl and Daft Punk's "Around the World".

nah 1997 was still apart of the core cultural 90s. When ya get to 1999 and to a lesser extent late 1998 on the other hand... Also batfan Max(Zelek3) made a topic called late  1996 shift which should be titled late 1996/97 shift honestly! :D Also, the 90s had MULTIPLE shifts dude. I mean it's ridiculous if ya think about it!!! :D ;D

Written By: DisneysRetro on 04/13/20 at 10:11 pm

The shift started around summer of ‘98 by late 1998 the y2k era was officially here. When Rush Hour came out that was like the cherry on top.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 04/14/20 at 1:56 pm

The shift started around summer of ‘98 by late 1998 the y2k era was officially here. When Rush Hour came out that was like the cherry on top.
Yeah, by around November, you were fully into the Y2K era when Pokemon, Powerpuff Girls, Nu-Metal, Britney Spears, and Windows 98 had their breakthroughs, and Ocarina of Time and Half Life became the two most played games of 1998/99

Written By: Wink-182 on 04/14/20 at 4:52 pm

I feel like around this time is when we started seeing glimmers of the early 2000s might be, music and TV show wise.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/14/20 at 6:56 pm

Yeah, by around November, you were fully into the Y2K era when Pokemon, Powerpuff Girls, Nu-Metal, Britney Spears, and Windows 98 had their breakthroughs, and Ocarina of Time and Half Life became the two most played games of 1998/99

eh... Pokémon (the anime) didn't really blow up until 1999. So you could say mid 1999. Late 98 and early 99 was still kinda transitional tbh. But to each their own, I won't force my mentality on anyone. ;D ;D ;D

Written By: mc98 on 04/14/20 at 7:21 pm

I would say late 98/early 99 was part of the Y2K but not fully though. There was still a bunch of late 90s stuff in that period. I would say late 99/early 2000 was the full Y2K year.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/14/20 at 8:13 pm

I would say late 98/early 99 was part of the Y2K but not fully though. There was still a bunch of late 90s stuff in that period. I would say late 99/early 2000 was the full Y2K year.

What is the late '90s culturally? ???

The Y2K/Millennium era was "late '90s" to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 04/14/20 at 8:41 pm

What is the late '90s culturally? ???

The Y2K/Millennium era was "late '90s" to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
Late 1996 to Late 1998

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/14/20 at 10:14 pm

Late 1996 to Late 1998

Great summary early 10s guy!

Wow that I actually Think is a spot on summarization of the shift!!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/15/20 at 12:35 pm

Late 1996 to Late 1998

You just gave me a year range (which I disagree with).

You didn't describe what is "culturally" late '90s ???.

Written By: humaeast on 06/20/20 at 12:33 pm

You forgot Metal Gear Solid! Solid Snake became every teenage girl's crush back then. (At least those who played games or had a brother who did.)

And (in Colin's "Arctic Tern" voice) BACKSTREET BOYS!

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 06/30/20 at 2:51 pm

You forgot Metal Gear Solid! Solid Snake became every teenage girl's crush back then. (At least those who played games or had a brother who did.)

And (in Colin's "Arctic Tern" voice) BACKSTREET BOYS!
Oh yeah, you can add that, along with Gameboy Color!

Backstreet Boys was already popular in Europe & Asia around late 1996 though, and reaching North America by Mid/Late 1997

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 07/20/20 at 12:56 am

I remember the late 1997 shift too with bands like Sugar Ray, Smash Mouth, that Dawson's Creek song being popular, Chumbawamba, Matchbox 20, Third Eye Blind and a lot of other new sounding music that either VH1 or MTV would count down each week in a top 20. But I also remember 1998 feeling like a year lacking an identity even though late 1997 was a noticeable transition period, and then 1999 has a strong identity as well.

So maybe there was both a late 1997 shift and a late 1998 shift, the latter ushering in Y2K culture and the former being like the last hurrah and last update of 90s alternative that had been around for a while.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 07/20/20 at 12:58 am

I remember the late 1997 shift too with bands like Sugar Ray, Smash Mouth, that Dawson's Creek song being popular, Chumbawamba, Matchbox 20, Third Eye Blind and a lot of other new sounding music that either VH1 or MTV would count down each week in a top 20. But I also remember 1998 feeling like a year lacking an identity even though late 1997 was a noticeable transition period, and then 1999 has a strong identity as well.

So maybe there was both a late 1997 shift and a late 1998 shift, the latter ushering in Y2K culture and the former being like the last hurrah and last update of 90s alternative that had been around for a while.

The late 1997 culture profusion was perhaps more for old geezers like the late Xers and early millennials, and the late 1998 shift was more for later millennials (or perhaps just core millennials as opposed to X-ennials).

Written By: GeekyAlgorithm on 10/07/20 at 8:11 am

Pokémon Red and Blue are such classic games. People capturing and battling monsters in order to "catch 'em all" was a genius concept. I'm not a huge fan of the franchise myself (I've played some games of it), but I can appreciate the concept behind it.

The first season (Indigo League) was syndicated on multiple local TV stations until Kids' WB took the exclusive rights to it, and it became even more of a phenomenon, with the media subsequently calling it "Pokémania".

Here's an example of what I mean:

1Dl7YF5Mr8Q

I don't think the general public would be this excited about Pokémon until 17 years later with Pokémon GO in the summer of 2016. That game was everywhere.

qn7TcsT91C8

Also, everyone forgot Geri left the Spice Girls in 1998. I was DEVASTATED when I found out, and never listened to their third album because she wasn't in it!

Check for new replies or respond here...