inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anyone here remember the "French fry change" of 1990?

Written By: rapplepop on 04/12/20 at 8:50 pm

During the second half of 1990 McDonald's, Burger King and Wendy's phased out beef tallow french fries for spuds fried in vegetable oil, and many people complained that the new fries weren't as good. I'm too young to remember what beef tallow fries were like, but I'm jealous of people who were old enough to have eaten them because they sound amazing.

Did you notice a difference in the taste? I feel cheated, I've always thought McDonald's fries were amazing but apparently they used to be even better than they are now, and I've never tasted the real thing. Though word is that Outback Steakhouse still fries their fries in beef tallow.

Subject: Re: Does anyone here remember the "French fry change" of 1990?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/28/20 at 5:14 am

During the second half of 1990 McDonald's, Burger King and Wendy's phased out beef tallow french fries for spuds fried in vegetable oil, and many people complained that the new fries weren't as good. I'm too young to remember what beef tallow fries were like, but I'm jealous of people who were old enough to have eaten them because they sound amazing.

Did you notice a difference in the taste? I feel cheated, I've always thought McDonald's fries were amazing but apparently they used to be even better than they are now, and I've never tasted the real thing. Though word is that Outback Steakhouse still fries their fries in beef tallow.
Was that when MSG first used in foods?

Check for new replies or respond here...