inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How long did the Golden Age Of Cartoon Network last for you?

Written By: Videl Satan on 05/01/20 at 3:00 pm

For me, I've always felt that the Golden Age Of Cartoon Network was 1992-2002 and I'll explain why.

One of the reasons why I think the Golden Age Of Cartoon Network ended after 2002 is because around 2003 is when the network began giving all the classic cartoons like The Flintstones, The Jetsons, The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends, Yogi Bear, Speed Racer, Johnny Quest, Animaniacs, etc. the giant shaft and decided to transfer reruns of those shows to their sister network, Boomerang (which me and lot of other people didn't and still don't have). Granted, the shift of Cartoon Network of moving away and focusing less and less on the classic cartoons like the shows I mention aboved started in the Mid-to-Late-1990's when the network started airing their own original programing...it wasn't until the Early-2000's that Cartoon Network really started to move away from those types of shows and by the Mid-2000's, that programming completely vanished from the network.

It was also around Early 2003 that Cartoon Network decided to allow Adult Swim to be shown on weeknights instead of just weekend nights so they could compete with Nick-At-Nite's ratings at the time. Let's not forget that the America run of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z offically ended around this time and Yu-Gi-Oh! surpassed Dragon Ball Z in popularity. That and the America run of Dragon Ball GT debuted on Cartoon Network near the end of the year (and we all know how much GT sucked).

Another reason why I think the Golden Age of Cartoon Network ended in 2003 is because it was around this time shows like Codename: Kids Next Door, Teen Titans and The Grim Adventures Of Billy And Mandy debuted on the network and got popular and it was around this time that these shows started becoming more important to the network and replacing Cartoon Network's classic shows like The Powerpuff Girls, Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, Dexter's Labotory, I Am Weasel, etc. and while I also liked Codename: Kids Next Door, Teen Titans and The Grim Adventures Of Billy And Mandy...I have never considered them classic Cartoon Network shows and I never felt like they were strong enough cartoons to carry Cartoon Network into the Mid-2000's.

And of course we all know what happened in 2004...

Subject: Re: How long did the Golden Age Of Cartoon Network last for you?

Written By: Wink-182 on 05/01/20 at 4:24 pm

I can't really say too much, since my golden era was from 2006-10 when it came down to Cartoon Network, watching the reruns of the older shows (Powerpuff Girls, Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, etc) on Boomerang. I felt like the Cartoon Network as we truly knew it ended when Ed Edd n' Eddy Big Picture Show first premiered, and that was in the fall of 2009. So for me, I'd say when shows like Adventure Time started coming on the scene, that's when my era of cartoons ended. So from 2006-10 as I've mentioned before.

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/01/20 at 4:53 pm

1997-2004. I'd disagree with you ending the golden age in 2002 because CN in 2003 was still a world's away from 2005 CN. In 2003 you still had the tail-end of prime Cartoon Cartoons and weekday Toonami. By 2005 you had Camp Lazlo, Juniper Lee, Ben 10, and My Gym Partner's a Monkey which felt like a different universe, and the Cartoon Cartoons had ended and were already being rerun as "golden oldies".

while I also liked Codename: Kids Next Door, Teen Titans and The Grim Adventures Of Billy And Mandy...I have never considered them classic Cartoon Network shows and I never felt like they were strong enough cartoons to carry Cartoon Network into the Mid-2000's.

I consider those golden age CN, but towards the tail-end. They did last well into the City era however.

Written By: DisneysRetro on 05/03/20 at 4:20 am

I was never much of a CN kid tbh, I used to watch it as a preschooler and early elementary school student a lot but I kind of moved on to Disney channel around 2003ish. For me the Golden age of CN was 1995-2004.

Written By: Slashpop on 05/03/20 at 4:29 am

1997-1998.

It could have lasted longer just wasn’t really super into the shows after.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/03/20 at 11:21 pm

The combination of the 'Checkerboard' and 'Powerhouse' eras constitute what I would consider the Golden Age of Cartoon Network. So 1992-2004, thereabouts.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/04/20 at 6:23 am

Ehhh... Well we all have differing opionons about this subject. But looking at the history and even experiencing it first hand,

From mid 1997(Toonami's debut)- until the summer of 2004(logo change)!

Written By: #Infinity on 05/05/20 at 4:09 am

Dexter's Laboratory's debut as a full series in 1996 was the beginning of golden era Cartoon Network to me, but the channel wasn't really fully fleshed out until 1999. By the time Johnny Bravo, The Powerpuff Girls, Ed, Edd n Eddy, and Courage the Cowardly Dog were on the network, it had firmly established itself as a juggernaut of modern children's animation and not just the retirement home for '60s cartoons.

The golden era came to a screeching halt for me around the 2004-2005 school year, when it was suddenly flooded by a bunch of new, mostly mediocre shows replacing older classics like Courage and PPG. I was initially hyped about Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, but Everyone Knows It's Bendy ended up becoming the episode I remembered the most, which is partially why I don't remember that show fondly, on top of the characters just seeming less likable than other programs. Codename: Kids Next Door and even some of the stuff on the Miguzi block kept me tuned in until the beginning of 2005, but I feel like I outgrew the channel at the perfect moment.

Written By: Mat1991 on 05/08/20 at 8:04 pm

My personal Cartoon Network "golden age" spanned around 1998 to 2004, coinciding with my elementary school years. I watched that network all the time and would always beg my parents to get cable so I could watch it at home instead of having to go to my grandma's house to watch it. This is more of a personal thing for me, though. CN didn't feel the same starting around the second half of 2004, the same time I finished elementary school and started junior high (symbolism!).

Written By: humaeast on 06/21/20 at 7:51 pm

1992-2004, when the Checkerboard and Powerhouse era were running.

Also? Swayzak from Toonami is pretty much God in my eyes. BRING HIM BACK ALREADY!

Written By: fusefan on 06/23/20 at 9:15 pm

My “golden era” would be about 1994 or 1995 when we first got CN to about mid 2001 when my dad got rid of cable. (Especially during 1998-2001)  When we got cable back a year later I didn’t watch CN as much except for maybe Toonami and Adult Swim. (I remember thinking I was such a badass for watching AS when I was in middle school lol. But we all did.)

Written By: GeekyAlgorithm on 10/07/20 at 8:18 am

2004, when they changed the logo. Among other things, they took off my favorite Toonami.com game "Trapped in Hyperspace." I miss that game...

Check for new replies or respond here...