inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 90s: The real most rapid, changeful decade?

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/27/20 at 4:05 am

Since the 2000s were the first decade that I really remembered start to finish, I always assumed that they were the most different decade when comparing the beginning and end. But having looked more closely at 90s culture since then, I realize I was sorely mistaken.

The changes of 2000 vs 2009 were nothing compared to those of 1990 vs 1999. The changes that took place in the 90s were wayyyyyyy bigger. In just 10 years the world went from the 99% analog Neon Era where most people never heard of the internet,

0kYYiRmtMH4

to the half-digital Y2K Chrome Era with 3D gaming and millions of internet users.

BMQz8zHdKvE

As bchris02 said, in 2009 you could dress like 2000 and get away with it somewhat. You certainly couldn't dress like 1990 in 1999 and get away with it.

What do you think? Overall I'd say the decades with the biggest/most rapid changes were 60s, 90s, and 2010s. With the 50s, 70s, 80s, and somewhat 2000s having more gradual changes.

Subject: Re: The 90s: The real most rapid, changeful decade?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/20 at 4:09 am

As bchris02 said, in 2009 you could dress like 2000 and get away with it somewhat. You certainly couldn't dress like 1990 in 1999 and get away with it.

What do you think?
You can wear what you like when in lockdown, for nobody will see you.  ;D

Written By: CarCar on 05/28/20 at 3:33 pm

Since the 2000s were the first decade that I really remembered start to finish, I always assumed that they were the most different decade when comparing the beginning and end. But having looked more closely at 90s culture since then, I realize I was sorely mistaken.

The changes of 2000 vs 2009 were nothing compared to those of 1990 vs 1999. The changes that took place in the 90s were wayyyyyyy bigger. In just 10 years the world went from the 99% analog Neon Era where most people never heard of the internet,

0kYYiRmtMH4

to the half-digital Y2K Chrome Era with 3D gaming and millions of internet users.

BMQz8zHdKvE

What do you think? Overall I'd say the decades with the biggest/most rapid changes were 60s, 90s, and 2010s. With the 50s, 70s, 80s, and somewhat 2000s having more gradual changes.

I’m interested to know why you say the 90s, 60s and 2010s were the most changeful decades, many on here say the 2010s are a super consistent decade. Would like to know your stance

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/28/20 at 5:08 pm

As the years progressed, the more staying in was the thing by being constantly on the World Wide Web.

Written By: 2001 on 05/28/20 at 6:41 pm

I would say the '80s... the 1780s!

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/28/20 at 9:14 pm

The 80s had big changes. Fashion went from disco holdovers and cutoffs and natural looks to big hair and neon and lots of makeup. Synths went from nearly all fuzzy analog to nearly all crispy digital. Home video (both playing and making) became a reality for most everyone. We went from high unemployment and interest rates to the decade of excess. Another big thing was cars. All the major  makers went from large full frame rear drive carbureted models that were the thing for decades before, to downsized unibody front drive fuel injected models which is still the standard for cars today.

Sorry I just realized this is the 90s forum. But just saying some of those other decades had big changes too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/29/20 at 1:26 am

I would say the '80s... the 1780s!
With the French Revolution?

Written By: 2001 on 05/29/20 at 4:18 am

With the French Revolution?

The French and American revolutions

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/29/20 at 5:25 am

The French and American revolutions
...and the Industrial Revolution?

Written By: 2001 on 05/30/20 at 1:54 am

...and the Industrial Revolution?

Good call! I also just read the first hot air balloon took flight in 1783.

Written By: Howard on 05/30/20 at 3:51 am

I thought The 2000's were the most rapid changeful decade?

Written By: robby76 on 05/30/20 at 10:12 am

Well you could argue that any 10 year span would have major changes, but I'll give it to you for the 90s.

Main reason...
1990 - no mass internet / few mobile phones / LGBT unfriendly
1999 - everyone had internet / mobile phones / LGBT friendly

I do think all these majorly changed the modern day world.

Written By: fusefan on 06/02/20 at 9:47 pm

Well you could argue that any 10 year span would have major changes, but I'll give it to you for the 90s.

Main reason...
1990 - no mass internet / few mobile phones / LGBT unfriendly
1999 - everyone had internet / mobile phones / LGBT friendly

I do think all these majorly changed the modern day world.

I don't know about 1999 being LGBT friendly. I went to high school in the 2000s where phrases like "This is gay" and "that's so gay" and the F-slur were thrown around like nothing, To the point they had to make PSAs about it.

Written By: robby76 on 06/03/20 at 3:32 am

I don't know about 1999 being LGBT friendly. I went to high school in the 2000s where phrases like "This is gay" and "that's so gay" and the F-slur were thrown around like nothing, To the point they had to make PSAs about it.

To me that just seems like kids slang - but yes not great terminology. I lived in a major city, so maybe things were more liberal. Pride events were huge throughout the 90s and gained momentum each year. "Will & Grace" also debuted in 1998.

Written By: shadowcookie on 06/03/20 at 12:54 pm

Same here. Being gay in school in the 2000s was not a fun experience. Sure, things had improved considerably compared to the 80s or most of the 90s but it still wasn’t great. I don’t think most people were particularly comfortable with homosexuality, even if they weren’t actively against it. It’s much better now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/04/20 at 5:31 am

Good call! I also just read the first hot air balloon took flight in 1783.
That must be the hot-air balloon was demonstrated by Joseph and Jacques Montgolfier. It reached a height of 1,500 feet, which happened on this date in that year.

Check for new replies or respond here...