inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did 90s fashion start looking old to you ?

Written By: CarCar on 07/05/20 at 1:38 am

When did it go from a look you could just wear and look pretty stylish in to unstylish and then retro to you ?

Subject: Re: When did 90s fashion start looking old to you ?

Written By: CarCar on 07/05/20 at 1:42 am

When did it go from a look you could just wear and look pretty stylish in/or just casual clothes to unstylish and then retro to you ?

Written By: DisneysRetro on 07/05/20 at 5:45 am

It still doesn’t look old to me. The 90’s brought a lot of modern fashion that was worn all throughout the 2000’s-2010’s. Even the average 90’s fashion (perms, “mom jeans”, overalls, scrunchies, bowl cuts, jean jackets, high top shoes) were never considered “old” in my eyes until teenagers started reviving it. More specifically in the late 10’s is when I thought “hey this is looking a bit retro”.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/05/20 at 11:40 am

When I look at my old photos from the 90s they look super dated! And to me, the fashion started to look old around 2005.

Written By: robby76 on 07/09/20 at 9:52 am

I think by 2001, all 90s fashions started to date. I was in my 20s and very much into current trends.

The late 90s had a lot of silver jackets (almost spacey), black turtleneck jumpers, lots of futuristic angular hairstyles, big moon boots, combat pants - all very futuristic.

But by the early 00s, a lot of earthy brown colours seeped in and denim flares were back. Bowling shoes started creeping back in, and it was almost a very 70s throwback again.

Kylie's 2000 video kinda represents that change...

t1DWBKk5xHQ

Written By: CarCar on 07/10/20 at 1:41 am

I think by 2001, all 90s fashions started to date. I was in my 20s and very much into current trends.

The late 90s had a lot of silver jackets (almost spacey), black turtleneck jumpers, lots of futuristic angular hairstyles, big moon boots, combat pants - all very futuristic.

But by the early 00s, a lot of earthy brown colours seeped in and denim flares were back. Bowling shoes started creeping back in, and it was almost a very 70s throwback again.

Kylie's 2000 video kinda represents that change...

t1DWBKk5xHQ

I think I see what you mean, god I hate flare jeans, never liked them as a kid in the 2000s. Every time it rained and there was a big puddle and I would accidentally step on it the whole bottom would get wet. The water would wet my entire socks because the bottom tip of the jean touched it.

I hope those flare jeans never come back tbh

Written By: violet_shy on 07/10/20 at 1:59 am

I think I see what you mean, god I hate flare jeans, never liked them as a kid in the 2000s. Every time it rained and there was a big puddle and I would accidentally step on it the whole bottom would get wet. The water would wet my entire socks because the bottom tip of the jean touched it.

I hope those flare jeans never come back tbh

I remember flared jeans. I owned a few pairs of them back then. I didn't like them either. Then later everyone started calling them boot cut jeans.  ::) Just an updated version of flared jeans.

Written By: robby76 on 07/10/20 at 4:23 am

Backstreet Boys in the year 2000 also have the fashion I'm referring too. In fact I had a brown suede fur collared coat a bit like they had...

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-the-backstreet-boys-arrive-at-the-mtv-music-awards-in-stockholm-sweden-20087583.html?pv=1&stamp=2&imageid=002F5556-8F3C-4A7A-8878-1AA779A80E69&p=62486&n=0&orientation=0&pn=1&searchtype=0&IsFromSearch=1&srch=foo%3dbar%26st%3d0%26pn%3d1%26ps%3d100%26sortby%3d2%26resultview%3dsortbyPopular%26npgs%3d0%26qt%3dbackstreet%2520boys%25202000%26qt_raw%3dbackstreet%2520boys%25202000%26lic%3d3%26mr%3d0%26pr%3d0%26ot%3d0%26creative%3d%26ag%3d0%26hc%3d0%26pc%3d%26blackwhite%3d%26cutout%3d%26tbar%3d1%26et%3d0x000000000000000000000%26vp%3d0%26loc%3d0%26imgt%3d0%26dtfr%3d%26dtto%3d%26size%3d0xFF%26archive%3d1%26groupid%3d%26pseudoid%3d%26a%3d%26cdid%3d%26cdsrt%3d%26name%3d%26qn%3d%26apalib%3d%26apalic%3d%26lightbox%3d%26gname%3d%26gtype%3d%26xstx%3d0%26simid%3d%26saveQry%3d%26editorial%3d1%26nu%3d%26t%3d%26edoptin%3d%26customgeoip%3d%26cap%3d1%26cbstore%3d1%26vd%3d0%26lb%3d%26fi%3d2%26edrf%3d%26ispremium%3d1%26flip%3d0%26pl%3d

Written By: CarCar on 07/10/20 at 7:47 am

I remember flared jeans. I owned a few pairs of them back then. I didn't like them either. Then later everyone started calling them boot cut jeans.  ::) Just an updated version of flared jeans.

Boot cut jeans actually seem acceptable, as long as they never reach the floor again.

I used to get dread wearing all those big baggy clothes in the 2000s. I hope it never reaches those points again

Written By: Slashpop on 07/11/20 at 5:47 am

2001 mostly. Even in 1998 and 1999 in the same decade a lot of stereotypical 90s fashion was feeling old.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 07/20/20 at 12:51 am

90s fashion still looks pretty normal to me, since I think of it as somewhat baggy pants and t-shirts, and that's been socially acceptable for quite a few decades now. The early 90s neons and right oranges and greens etc. on clothing certainly look dated.

Written By: CarCar on 07/20/20 at 1:19 am

90s fashion still looks pretty normal to me, since I think of it as somewhat baggy pants and t-shirts, and that's been socially acceptable for quite a few decades now. The early 90s neons and right oranges and greens etc. on clothing certainly look dated.

You certainly live up to your user name with that response lol

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 07/20/20 at 1:21 am

You certainly live up to your user name with that response lol

It's just that I have little fashion sense, so pants and a t shirt are my main style in any setting where this is appropriate. Might be jeans, might be khakis. Might be a collared polo shirt or just a regular tunic-like t-shirt. But that style looks 90s to me because it's what I wore then, even though it's been culturally normal for like 50 years. The only time I remember dressing somewhat differently is the late 80s and early 90s when bright, bold colors were in, so I had like bright oranges and greens on my shirts, backpack etc.

Written By: XYkid on 07/20/20 at 1:56 am

I’m 26 and I still dress in a sort of 90s and 00s fashion. No one seems to notice or treat me that differently for it. But then again, I live in Oregon so that could have something to do with it.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 07/20/20 at 2:05 am

I’m 26 and I still dress in a sort of 90s and 00s fashion. No one seems to notice or treat me that differently for it. But then again, I live in Oregon so that could have something to do with it.

I think it's that there are styles that are more recent, like skinnies and such, but 90s style, after the very early 90s, is still acceptable and even normal. So it's a stylistic milieu in which both older and current styles are up to date - are today's styles. The older style is still around and some newer ones have been included into the milieu as well, rather than having a wholesale changeover in what's fashionable and socially acceptable.

On a broader point that's relevant here, I think why we see the older coexisting with the newer in a way that's considered normal (think of all the nostalgia stuff that's popular) is because people haven't come up with a clear idea of where to go from here, so there's been no really broad cultural change in decades despite some rhetoric to the contrary from people who want to believe that things are still progressing like they did in the twentieth century.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/21/20 at 12:57 am

Why Oregon?...I don't understand that. And hm, maybe it's because some 90s fashion were comfortable.

Written By: XYkid on 07/22/20 at 10:45 pm

Why Oregon?...I don't understand that. And hm, maybe it's because some 90s fashion were comfortable.
Oregon seems to have a reputation for being a little stuck in the past.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/25/20 at 9:10 am

Oregon seems to have a reputation for being a little stuck in the past.

Ah ok. I didn't know that.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/20 at 2:04 am

I would say in 2001 when "What Not to Wear", the BAFTA Award-nominated makeover reality television show launched by the BBC started. After Jermey Clarkson appeared on the show, he commented "I'd rather eat my own hair than shop with these two again".

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/27/20 at 9:47 am

I don't know about female fashions, but male fashion from the 90s has never gone away. I'm talking about what I have termed "The Schlub Look".  Bulky T shirt, long, baggy shorts (especially, but not limited to, cargo shorts), baseball cap and big sneakers. This ghastly look arrived in the early 90s and shows no sign of abating. It is the main uniform of American males from ages 11 to 60.  This look just screams "I am unaware". As one gets to 25 and over it screams "I just don't care".  Another 90s male fashion that persists in hanging around is the wearing of wool winter hats at all times of year. This springs from the grunge era of the early 90s but now exists independent of that.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/20 at 9:54 am

I don't know about female fashions, but male fashion from the 90s has never gone away. I'm talking about what I have termed "The Schlub Look".  Bulky T shirt, long, baggy shorts (especially, but not limited to, cargo shorts), baseball cap and big sneakers. This ghastly look arrived in the early 90s and shows no sign of abating. It is the main uniform of American males from ages 11 to 60.  This look just screams "I am unaware". As one gets to 25 and over it screams "I just don't care".  Another 90s male fashion that persists in hanging around is the wearing of wool winter hats at all times of year. This springs from the grunge era of the early 90s but now exists independent of that.
I have notice many a male person wearing thick jacket with hoods on a hot summers dday.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/27/20 at 9:59 am

I have notice many a male person wearing thick jacket with hoods on a hot summers dday.

The hoodie itself is a fashion that arrived in the early 90s and never departed. Prior to that it was considered a purely functional item, like sneakers once were, and worn appropriately as such. Now it's an out and out "statement" somehow and has never gone away. The original premise of this topic is somewhat inaccurate in that so many early 90s styles have been assimilated into the culture and have become embedded.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/20 at 10:01 am

The hoodie itself is a fashion that arrived in the early 90s and never departed. Prior to that it was considered a purely functional item, like sneakers once were, and worn appropriately as such. Now it's an out and out "statement" somehow and has never gone away. The original premise of this topic is somewhat inaccurate in that so many early 90s styles have been assimilated into the culture and have become embedded.
When did the fashion of sagging pants start?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/27/20 at 10:19 am

That slightly predates the 90s back into the 80s but was then mostly a small circle of rap and rap wannabees. But I CAN tel you when long, baggy "shorts" that look like they came from a clown's garage sale started. In the early 90s with Michael Jordan who did not like the short basketball shorts that pro basketball players wore.  The shorts were lengthened and loosened at his behest. of course Jordan was an idol to millions so everybody followed suit and a fashion was born that is yet to die. I doubt it will ever go back completely. Men's shorts in the 70s and 80s were very short. The 80s were the height of short shorts on males (half-shirts or "crop tops" too). The funny thing is that I doubt that any of the males on this site who proclaim to worship the pop culture of the 80s would EVER wear the short shorts that were simply the norm then. Or certainly not with the degree of un-self-consciousness that they were worn by one and all back then.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/20 at 11:12 am

That slightly predates the 90s back into the 80s but was then mostly a small circle of rap and rap wannabees. But I CAN tel you when long, baggy "shorts" that look like they came from a clown's garage sale started. In the early 90s with Michael Jordan who did not like the short basketball shorts that pro basketball players wore.  The shorts were lengthened and loosened at his behest. of course Jordan was an idol to millions so everybody followed suit and a fashion was born that is yet to die. I doubt it will ever go back completely. Men's shorts in the 70s and 80s were very short. The 80s were the height of short shorts on males (half-shirts or "crop tops" too). The funny thing is that I doubt that any of the males on this site who proclaim to worship the pop culture of the 80s would EVER wear the short shorts that were simply the norm then. Or certainly not with the degree of un-self-consciousness that they were worn by one and all back then.
So the assumption of the sagging pants starting with prison legging is an urban myth?

Written By: Slashpop on 07/27/20 at 12:13 pm

From I understand there mutiple origins

Prision gangs in the 70s/80s
Cholo gangs in the US in the early to mid 80s
British Madchester/Baggy music scene around 1989
American skateboarders fashion in the early 90s around 1991-1992
Hip Hop subculture around 1991, slowly growing from the late 80s and possibly hammer pants.
Mass popularity sometime around 1993-1996

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/20 at 12:15 pm

Hip Hop subculture around 1991, slowly growing from the late 80s and possibly hammer pants.
All showing they underpants?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/27/20 at 12:18 pm

It may be an urban legend, but I also heard it sprang from criminals wearing a baggy pair of pants over tighter ones so they could remove the outer layer after the crime so as to not be identified by clothing.

Written By: Slashpop on 07/27/20 at 12:22 pm

All showing they underpants?

Ah I just took sagging to mean baggy. Not sure! I do know skateboarders early on wore stuff that was incredibly baggy, never noticed the sag at the time or in retrospect. Could be.

I do noticed sagging in the mid 90s and late 90s with hip hop fans and rappers from that era but I'm unsure of just the sag part beyond this.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/20 at 12:39 pm

Ah I just took sagging to mean baggy. Not sure! I do know skateboarders early on wore stuff that was incredibly baggy, never noticed the sag at the time or in retrospect. Could be.

I do noticed sagging in the mid 90s and late 90s with hip hop fans and rappers from that era but I'm unsure of just the sag part beyond this.
I will not illustrate with images here, for it is an unsightly image.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/27/20 at 1:05 pm

I will not illustrate with images here, for it is an unsightly image.

Is sagging a separate category from baggy or is it a sub-category of baggy? And are either dated as the OP suggests?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/20 at 1:43 pm

Is sagging a separate category from baggy or is it a sub-category of baggy? And are either dated as the OP suggests?
Separate categories:

Baggy - fashion (now dated)

Sagging - a disgrace to the world.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/30/20 at 1:23 am

1990s fashion actually got dated rather quickly. I remember in 2007 my brother was joking around about the fashion from the 1990s, so it probably started looking old even before 2007.

Written By: XYkid on 07/30/20 at 12:51 pm

1990s fashion actually got dated rather quickly. I remember in 2007 my brother was joking around about the fashion from the 1990s, so it probably started looking old even before 2007.
I would say 2003 was the last year that could pass for the late 90s in terms of fashion trends. A lot of movies from 2003 could pass for being from 1999 just based on how people dress.

Written By: Slashpop on 07/31/20 at 1:23 pm

I would say 2003 was the last year that could pass for the late 90s in terms of fashion trends. A lot of movies from 2003 could pass for being from 1999 just based on how people dress.

You could also include early 2004. I do recall seeing people in 2005-2008 with some casual fashion from around 1999 or so. Spiked hair, baggy pants etc

Written By: Slim95 on 07/31/20 at 2:08 pm

You could also include early 2004. I do recall seeing people in 2005-2008 with some casual fashion from around 1999 or so. Spiked hair, baggy pants etc

The late 1990s ended in late 1998. There was no more '90s culture after that. The Y2K era is part of 2000s culture. If you said early 2000s trends lingered on in 2004 I would be ok with that but even early 2000s stuff died in '03 but there were just some leftovers. The Y2K era is just a subset of the early 2000s.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/22/20 at 2:54 pm

And Jelly Shoes were all the rage.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/23/20 at 6:05 pm

Not EVERYONE wore the saggy Jean's or pants. Baggy yes. Saggy, not everyone.

Big, loose clothing was in fashion from 1991 to 1996. And it started to look very old I'd say around 2001.

Check for new replies or respond here...