inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Help needed w/ the dates in 1996 Disney Channel (90s nostalgia within)....

Written By: 90s Guy on 07/22/20 at 2:48 pm

Hey,

I've been slowly having the VHS tapes of movies, tv shows, and associated commercials my mother taped for me off TV in the mid 1990s.

For example, one tape I've got so far had a bit of Ducktales, then a commercial for the Disney Channel, and they mention "Toonin' Tuesdays" and like, I look that up and Toonin' Tuesdays was only a block between 1993 and 1996. So then I watch a little on and there is a "preview" for the upcoming release in theaters of Homeward Bound II, and it says "In theaters this month" and, well, Homeward Bound II was released March 9th 1996. So I'm basically travelling back in time, watching a tape that was taped off TV - in a house I no longer live in, on TVs long since discarded - 24 years ago. And it looks brand new, no jumping. It even talks about how Robin Hood will be shown on the channel on "Wednesday." As if Wednesday, March (?) 1996 is ahead of us still.

A third tape I had just done features "Oliver & Company" and James and the Giant Peach as the feature presentations. The commercials say that Muppet Treasure Island is "out now" on VHS (It was released on VHS on September 10th 1996). Another commercial says James and the Giant Peach will be released on October 15th (as if that's still away), and that Toy Story will be out on October 29th.

As I said, the features here are Oliver & Company and James and the Giant Peach. If someone could help me find out when they played on the Disney channel before coming to VHS at that time, I'd appreciate it - it would give this tape a day it was definitively taped.

Subject: Re: Help needed w/ the dates in 1996 Disney Channel (90s nostalgia within)....

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/05/20 at 5:08 am

Hey,

I've been slowly having the VHS tapes of movies, tv shows, and associated commercials my mother taped for me off TV in the mid 1990s.

For example, one tape I've got so far had a bit of Ducktales, then a commercial for the Disney Channel, and they mention "Toonin' Tuesdays" and like, I look that up and Toonin' Tuesdays was only a block between 1993 and 1996. So then I watch a little on and there is a "preview" for the upcoming release in theaters of Homeward Bound II, and it says "In theaters this month" and, well, Homeward Bound II was released March 9th 1996. So I'm basically travelling back in time, watching a tape that was taped off TV - in a house I no longer live in, on TVs long since discarded - 24 years ago. And it looks brand new, no jumping. It even talks about how Robin Hood will be shown on the channel on "Wednesday." As if Wednesday, March (?) 1996 is ahead of us still.

A third tape I had just done features "Oliver & Company" and James and the Giant Peach as the feature presentations. The commercials say that Muppet Treasure Island is "out now" on VHS (It was released on VHS on September 10th 1996). Another commercial says James and the Giant Peach will be released on October 15th (as if that's still away), and that Toy Story will be out on October 29th.

As I said, the features here are Oliver & Company and James and the Giant Peach. If someone could help me find out when they played on the Disney channel before coming to VHS at that time, I'd appreciate it - it would give this tape a day it was definitively taped.

Is Wikipedia helpful for you?

Subject: Help needed w/ the dates in 1996 Disney Channel (90s nostalgia within)....

Written By: Dude111 on 11/05/20 at 5:24 am

God bless you with VHS 90s Guy !!

I love my VCR.... Its the only way now to see ANALOGUE MOVIES in thier original format! (Provided you get an early enough copy and it was taken care of thru the years)

I mean the only EASY way..... There are still reel to reel out there of analog stuff...... (I think that really has to be taken care of or the film goes bad,am I right??)

Check for new replies or respond here...