inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tracing the history of the famous 90s curtained haircut....

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/04/20 at 5:42 pm

One of the most defining haircuts of the 1990s seems to have been the curtained cut, called so because the hair cut short, layered, and parted in the center with long bangs which resembled curtains. Variations of this style can be seen as far back as River Phoenix playing a Young Indiana Jones in 1989, and as late as the film Jeeper's Creepers in 2001; That's just a rough estimation on my part. From casual viewing, it seems like it was perfectly acceptable to have the haircut in 1996 and 1997.

But the question is, when did it become popular? And when did it die out?
https://onpointfresh.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/a776e3352177eefd16d67ad96e2f3894.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Oykv3LQ.jpg

https://i.redd.it/voa4e3qsm8s21.jpg

Subject: Re: Tracing the history of the famous 90s curtained haircut....

Written By: Jaydawg89 on 08/05/20 at 12:11 am

I don't really know when I got big but, it definitely died around 1999 - 2000. It literally felt like it disappeared as soon as 2000 hit lol.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/20 at 2:01 am

One of the most defining haircuts of the 1990s seems to have been the curtained cut, called so because the hair cut short, layered, and parted in the center with long bangs which resembled curtains. Variations of this style can be seen as far back as River Phoenix playing a Young Indiana Jones in 1989, and as late as the film Jeeper's Creepers in 2001; That's just a rough estimation on my part. From casual viewing, it seems like it was perfectly acceptable to have the haircut in 1996 and 1997.

Too many graphics that made my photo slow!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/20 at 2:23 am

In "Titanic', Leonardo DiCaprio had a hair of this style, this is an anachronism for the hairstyle came popular in use more recent times.

I find it hard to post an image on my phone.

Written By: Slashpop on 08/05/20 at 3:05 am

https://onpointfresh.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/a776e3352177eefd16d67ad96e2f3894.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Oykv3LQ.jpg

https://i.redd.it/voa4e3qsm8s21.jpg

Started to slowly pick up around late  1987-1989.

A lot of it was intertwined with acid house and alternative rock hairstyles but isn’t exclusive to them.

Became popular in mid to late 1989 to early 1990. There would usually be a few people would rock a variation of the hairstyle.

Movies like Keanu reeves from parenthood, some characters in twin peaks, River Phoenix are examples.

Ads and yearbooks give you a sense.

I remember seeing people at the time.

You had straighforward, evenly parted curtains, a variation with a hairflip on one side, and a longer curtained hair where the curtains are parted over and covering the face to some extent and a variation with a bowlcut.

Became more mainstream 1990-1991

Became very common in mid 1991-1993 but varieties are still popular.

1994 to mid 1998: Becomes the standard and most common hairstyle and takes on a slightly more preppy shorter look in many cases. Some different variations are retained but less popular 97 onwards.

1997-Early 1999 : Slowly being replaced by a variety of shorter hair styles such as shaved hair, short and just regular unkempt hair. Later spiky hair and frosted tips get more popular.

1999 at some point: Curtains officially replaced by spiky hair, gelled hair at the front, frosted tips. Late 1998 it’s almost there.

2001/2 to 2003-4: Officially dated or passé. But few people had a subtle version of it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/20 at 3:20 am

Started to slowly pick up around late  1987-1989.

A lot of it was intertwined with acid house and alternative rock hairstyles but isn’t exclusive to them.

Became popular in mid to late 1989 to early 1990. There would usually be a few people would rock a variation of the hairstyle.

Movies like Keanu reeves from parenthood, some characters in twin peaks, River Phoenix are examples.

Ads and yearbooks give you a sense.

I remember seeing people at the time.

You had straighforward, evenly parted curtains, a variation with a hairflip on one side, and a longer curtained hair where the curtains are parted over and covering the face to some extent and a variation with a bowlcut.

Became more mainstream 1990-1991

Became very common in mid 1991-1993 but varieties are still popular.

1994 to mid 1998: Becomes the standard and most common hairstyle and takes on a slightly more preppy shorter look in many cases. Some different variations are retained but less popular 97 onwards.

1997-Early 1999 : Slowly being replaced by a variety of shorter hair styles such as shaved hair, short and just regular unkempt hair. Later spiky hair and frosted tips get more popular.

1999 at some point: Curtains officially replaced by spiky hair, gelled hair at the front, frosted tips. Late 1998 it’s almost there.

2001/2 to 2003-4: Officially dated or passé. But few people had a subtle version of it.

Justin Bieber?

Written By: Jaydawg89 on 08/05/20 at 3:59 am

It was definitely the dominant young male haircut of the 1990s. The 2000s are a bit different, I would say 1999 - 2004 the Short and Spiky look dominated and 2004/05 - 2009/10 it was the "bieber" cut.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/20 at 5:23 am

Can it be determined who had the first curtained hairstyle?

Written By: Howard on 08/05/20 at 7:35 am

It was definitely the dominant young male haircut of the 1990s. The 2000s are a bit different, I would say 1999 - 2004 the Short and Spiky look dominated and 2004/05 - 2009/10 it was the "bieber" cut.

Is that Emo?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/20 at 7:43 am

Is that Emo?
Is Justin Bieber emo?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/05/20 at 8:53 am

I thought people's hair did that by itself, naive me.  Does it take a lot of work to look like this?

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 08/05/20 at 9:28 am

Is that Emo?

Yeah

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 08/05/20 at 9:31 am

The bieber cut, that is.

Written By: wixness on 08/05/20 at 11:18 am

I hate how they're bringing back this 90s haircut or even tried to bring it back in the first place.
Part of me thinks it's inspired by anime such as Dragon Ball Z (I think some characters had that as haircuts), but if that's not the case then I'm completely clueless.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/05/20 at 1:18 pm

Please limit photos to 3 per post. I will let those who posted it edited their own posts. If they are not edited by tomorrow, I will edited it for you.

Cat

Written By: fusefan on 08/06/20 at 10:26 pm

It seems Gen Z is bringing it back.

Written By: robby76 on 08/07/20 at 8:25 am

I see a lot of kpop boybands with curtains. They're definitely trying to bring it back.

My curtains started in late 1989 - or maybe very early 1990.

I had them throughout the 90s, until around 1999 0r 2000 (started off centre parting, then moved slightly off centre later). I had a house party and this girl hairdresser told me my curtains were a bit dated and she'd love to cut my hair. So that night, we used my kitchen scissors and that was the end of my curtains lol.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/07/20 at 9:03 am

I see a lot of kpop boybands with curtains. They're definitely trying to bring it back.

My curtains started in late 1989 - or maybe very early 1990.

I had them throughout the 90s, until around 1999 0r 2000 (started off centre parting, then moved slightly off centre later). I had a house party and this girl hairdresser told me my curtains were a bit dated and she'd love to cut my hair. So that night, we used my kitchen scissors and that was the end of my curtains lol.

I still say some people's hair just falls this way by itself. The lucky devils.

Written By: Mat1991 on 08/07/20 at 8:30 pm

Oscar Wilde had the "curtains" style way back in the late 1800s, so it's definitely older than y'all think.  ::)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/07/20 at 8:35 pm

Oscar Wilde had the "curtains" style way back in the late 1800s, so it's definitely older than y'all think.  ::)

True. People are making too much of a deal about this non-style. It's not really a style per say, some people's hair just does that. People have looked like this throughout history.

Written By: wixness on 08/08/20 at 2:26 pm

It seems Gen Z is bringing it back.

Question is, why bring it back, what's the appeal behind it besides famous people wearing it? I do feel like it may be motivated by 90s nostalgia especially with regards to the Titanic film where the curtain hairstyle even looked appealing in its most recent iteration (such haircuts have been seen as tacky in the 2000s I think). Especially reading recent comments in here, it's a rather dated hairstyle along with the short back and sides. I don't particularly like the tastes of Gen Z and the 2010s in fashion and music.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/08/20 at 9:58 pm

Well...it looked attractive back then. I loved it when boys wore their hair like that! Not sure if it would look as attractive these days. Why are they trying to bring it back? It looks dated and sooo 90s!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/09/20 at 2:44 am

I have seen portraits of English poet John Keats and his hair is similar to the curtain style.

Written By: wixness on 08/09/20 at 10:03 am

Well...it looked attractive back then. I loved it when boys wore their hair like that! Not sure if it would look as attractive these days. Why are they trying to bring it back? It looks dated and sooo 90s!

I'm betting people got bored (at best) or sick of (at worst) guys with long hair. Mullets were a thing in the 80s but I don't think they aged well personally.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/09/20 at 1:22 pm

Will Friedle, Ryder Strong, Jonathan Jackson, and Jonathan Taylor Thomas wore the curtained hair best!

Written By: Howard on 08/09/20 at 2:12 pm

I'm betting people got bored (at best) or sick of (at worst) guys with long hair. Mullets were a thing in the 80s but I don't think they aged well personally.

or maybe guys were losing their hair.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/09/20 at 8:12 pm

or maybe guys were losing their hair.

Howard, did you wear your hair curtained back in the day?

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/09/20 at 8:30 pm

I never had curtains but I had a mullet for a long time. I still would except it’s getting too thin in back.

Written By: Howard on 08/10/20 at 3:10 pm

Howard, did you wear your hair curtained back in the day?

No, back in the early 1980's I had bangs so I wore my hair like The 60's then during the late 1980's I had a crewcut and a small rat tail in the back of my head and then we go In the 1990's- early 2000's when I believe I started to lose my hair on top, (started to thin) and that's pretty much about it for my hair. The only problem is trying to style it right.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/10/20 at 3:32 pm

No, back in the early 1980's I had bangs so I wore my hair like The 60's then during the late 1980's I had a crewcut and a small rat tail in the back of my head and then we go In the 1990's- early 2000's when I believe I started to lose my hair on top, (started to thin) and that's pretty much about it for my hair. The only problem is trying to style it right.

Did you have bangs like Moe?  :D

http://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/stooges/images/1/1e/Horowitzmosesphoto.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/340?cb=20090515161100

Written By: Howard on 08/10/20 at 3:39 pm

Did you have bangs like Moe?  :D

http://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/stooges/images/1/1e/Horowitzmosesphoto.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/340?cb=20090515161100

Yes I did but then stupid 5 year old me while my Mother was doing some maintenance I took a pair of scissors and cut a bit of hair and the damage was done in the class pictures when it was taken in 1980.  ::)

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/10/20 at 9:02 pm

Yes I did but then stupid 5 year old me while my Mother was doing some maintenance I took a pair of scissors and cut a bit of hair and the damage was done in the class pictures when it was taken in 1980.  ::)

I had this cut until I was like 13. I hated it but didn’t know anything else. Then one day I shocked everyone by brushing it back and then started to grow it long.

Written By: Slashpop on 08/11/20 at 3:05 am

True. People are making too much of a deal about this non-style. It's not really a style per say, some people's hair just does that. People have looked like this throughout history.

I can see what you mean. But I think it became more of a trend in the 90s with a more specific look. Also there were variations like the edward furlong haircut which were more stylized than just regular curtains.

Personally I think curtains had a bit more character than a lot of current hairstyles, it would be nice if it came back.

I also don't mind mullets if they are done right. Wasn't david bowie wearing mullets, did they start back in the mid 70s?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/66/d5/d9/66d5d953e9c02d7aae589a04f5b9da36.jpg

Written By: Howard on 08/11/20 at 7:30 am

I had this cut until I was like 13. I hated it but didn’t know anything else. Then one day I shocked everyone by brushing it back and then started to grow it long.

I had "The Moe" up until I think 1985 I believe until I combed it a different way.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/20 at 7:23 am

I can see what you mean. But I think it became more of a trend in the 90s with a more specific look. Also there were variations like the edward furlong haircut which were more stylized than just regular curtains.

Personally I think curtains had a bit more character than a lot of current hairstyles, it would be nice if it came back.

I also don't mind mullets if they are done right. Wasn't david bowie wearing mullets, did they start back in the mid 70s?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/66/d5/d9/66d5d953e9c02d7aae589a04f5b9da36.jpg
I consider that style of haircut to be dangerous, the blocks half the vision and could cause footfalls when walking.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/12/20 at 8:28 am

I consider that style of haircut to be dangerous, the blocks half the vision and could cause footfalls when walking.

And is there anything more annoying than someone who continually pushes hair out of their eyes? I think not!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/20 at 8:39 am

And is there anything more annoying than someone who continually pushes hair out of their eyes? I think not!
Exactly, and the appearance of being sinister?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/12/20 at 8:44 am

Exactly, and the appearance of being sinister?

Not sinister. More like dumb.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/20 at 8:45 am

Not sinister. More like dumb.  ;D
O0

I was thinking pirate like?

Written By: Howard on 08/13/20 at 7:49 am

And you wouldn't be able to see where you're walking.

Written By: aja675 on 08/21/20 at 10:08 am

FK3rLHSwEv8

This is from 2000, but I could still see curtained hair. They were my style icons as a 4-5 year old, does that mean I accidentally made style icons out of a bunch of fashion victims?  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...