inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When everything started going digital

Written By: violet_shy on 10/09/20 at 7:05 pm

I just realized that nobody uses the term "Digital" on their electronics anymore. I still own my CD and cassette player from 1997, and it has a small button area that says "Digital Disc". I can remember when various other electronics from the '90s had it.  :)

Subject: Re: When everything started going digital

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/09/20 at 8:38 pm

I can't believe you have a CD player from 1997 that still works. I've never had a CD player that lasted for any considerable period of time. They just don't. Other electronics may last, CD players never did for me, no matter how good the brand. I still have that problem. 

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/09/20 at 8:50 pm

Since everything is basically digital now there is no need to say "digital" anymore to distinguish it from something else. People used to say "I have a color TV"  to distinguish it from black & white TVs back in the days when a large number of people still had black & white TVs. Nobody says "color TV" anymore. And when there were still black & white programs on TV if a program was in color an announcer would come on at the beginning and say "this program is brought to you in living color".

Written By: Howard on 10/10/20 at 4:02 am

I can't believe you have a CD player from 1997 that still works. I've never had a CD player that lasted for any considerable period of time. They just don't. Other electronics may last, CD players never did for me, no matter how good the brand. I still have that problem.

I still have a portable CD Player but I don't think it works anymore, I've had it since the mid 1990's.

Written By: Howard on 10/10/20 at 4:04 am

Since everything is basically digital now there is no need to say "digital" anymore to distinguish it from something else. People used to say "I have a color TV"  to distinguish it from black & white TVs back in the days when a large number of people still had black & white TVs. Nobody says "color TV" anymore. And when there were still black & white programs on TV if a program was in color an announcer would come on at the beginning and say "this program is brought to you in living color".

And nobody says "antenna" anymore either.

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/10/20 at 7:57 am

And nobody says "antenna" anymore either.

Lots of people here do. And you need a good one to pick up the local news and stuff, the towers are 40+ miles away.

My first CD player was a car changer from 1997 that still works. My cousin gave me a house CD player from the 80s or 90s and it works good. Just had to clean it. I’ve got lots of electronics older than that which still work. Including my satellite box from the 80s.

The only thing I’ve had poor luck with is car stereos. Like in dash CD players. I always end up going back to changers.

I agree basically everything is digital now. Computers were/are digital devices. Then music, movies, phones, cameras, TVs, car electronics. We still have some analog clocks and landlines. And the resurgence of records but I think that’s a nostalgia thing.

A lot of people including myself prefer some analog things, but these days they’re mostly digital with an analog facade. Like some clocks. Car gauges. Analog sounding synths.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/10/20 at 8:42 am

Lots of people here do. And you need a good one to pick up the local news and stuff, the towers are 40+ miles away.

My first CD player was a car changer from 1997 that still works. My cousin gave me a house CD player from the 80s or 90s and it works good. Just had to clean it. I’ve got lots of electronics older than that which still work. Including my satellite box from the 80s.

The only thing I’ve had poor luck with is car stereos. Like in dash CD players. I always end up going back to changers.

I agree basically everything is digital now. Computers were/are digital devices. Then music, movies, phones, cameras, TVs, car electronics. We still have some analog clocks and landlines. And the resurgence of records but I think that’s a nostalgia thing.

A lot of people including myself prefer some analog things, but these days they’re mostly digital with an analog facade. Like some clocks. Car gauges. Analog sounding synths.

What do you use to clean your CD player? I use those discs that are designed for the purpose. They help a little.

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/10/20 at 9:38 am

What do you use to clean your CD player? I use those discs that are designed for the purpose. They help a little.

I don’t bother with those. I tear it apart and clean the dust out, and clean the lens with rubbing alcohol.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/10/20 at 9:49 am

I don’t bother with those. I tear it apart and clean the dust out, and clean the lens with rubbing alcohol.

You get right to the heart of the matter.  8)

Written By: Slim95 on 10/10/20 at 2:36 pm

I have blurry memories of seeing cassette tapes of Britney Spears' debut album Baby One More Time because I was always shopping with my family and my sister was obsessed with her and always wanted to buy her products lol. So even in 1999 there was quite a bit analog around.

Written By: Howard on 10/11/20 at 2:34 pm

Does anyone still say "rabbit ears"?

Written By: Howard on 10/11/20 at 2:36 pm

Maybe I should try it when I put a CD in my PS3.

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/11/20 at 3:09 pm

Does anyone still say "rabbit ears"?

Yes I still say that for an indoor antenna atop the entertainment center. I had rabbit ears (complete with foil wrapped ends) on the upstairs TV of my old house which picked up all the locals. Last year I set up some rabbit ears on a friends TV which got about half the locals. Better than nothing.

I currently use a small yagi style for my locals. I keep it in the spare bedroom upstairs, mounted to an old microphone stand.

Written By: Jaydawg89 on 10/12/20 at 3:45 am

I think the transition from analogue tech to digital tech was gradual. I think the 80s was definitely a more analogue decade and the 2000s were definitely a more digital decade.

Check for new replies or respond here...