inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: '90s - Most Loved Decade of all Time?

Written By: Slim95 on 10/10/20 at 2:22 pm

Do you think the '90s are the best decade of all the time? It seems everyone loves this decade more than any other. There are zero strifes about it, I always see nostalgia everywhere for this decade. It seems there is more love and nostalgia for this decade than any other it seems like it's never gonna go away. I don't mean in the media and pop culture nostalgia, that's pretty weak now in the days of social media. But just first-hand experience of everyone loving the decade. Think about it, the '80s had a lot of love but it had a lot of mockery too. For example Rick Rolling and people making fun of its cheesiness. The '90s doesn't have this, it seems to have this 'cool' vibe in everyone's eyes. It has only experienced backlash and teasing for a tiny period right after the decade ended (early 2000s). After that it was always loved by everyone.

Subject: Re: '90s - Most Loved Decade of all Time?

Written By: violet_shy on 10/10/20 at 3:41 pm

Just want to add that the 90s were the only decade with it's own identity. There were no revivals. No recycling of previous fads. It had it's own culture.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/10/20 at 4:47 pm

This question is unqualifiable and unquantifiable. How can anybody say that any decade is "the best of all time"? A decade being "the best of all time" isn't even a thing. I've never seen any literature or studies that the 90s is "the best decade of all time". And if it was the best, there would be volumes about it and the question wouldn't have to be asked. I don't like this question.  The best this can be is a "90s appreciation thread". It can't be phrased as "the best of all time". We don't know "all time".

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/10/20 at 4:49 pm

Just want to add that the 90s were the only decade with it's own identity. There were no revivals. No recycling of previous fads. It had it's own culture.

The 90s were the one and only decade with it's own identity? The 60s, 70s and even 80s didn't have their own identity? The 50s didn't have their own identity? The 40s with WW2 didn't? You may want to rethink that statement. This thread is really going down a slippery slope.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/10/20 at 4:55 pm

The 90s were the one and only decade with it's own identity? The 60s, 70s and even 80s didn't have their own identity? The 50s didn't have their own identity? The 40s with WW2 didn't? You may want to rethink that statement. This thread is really going down a slippery slope.

Well, I agree that the 80s did have its own identity. I had forgotten about that. Can't say about previous decades though because I was non-existent. But, I'll agree with you since you experienced more decades than I did.  ::)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/10/20 at 4:59 pm

Well, I agree that the 80s did have its own identity. I had forgotten about that. Can't say about previous decades though because I was non-existent. But, I'll agree with you since you experienced more decades than I did.  ::)

It's also a matter of public record. Everybody knows about the culture of those decades, or should I say it is there for the taking. The music, etc is all still available. 

Written By: violet_shy on 10/10/20 at 5:06 pm

It's also a matter of public record. Everybody knows about the culture of those decades, or should I say it is there for the taking. The music, etc is all still available.

Yes. But not everything is in the public records. Plus, I only listen to 70s music...once in a great while. I don't think that is enough for me to discuss and know about the entire decade in detail.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/10/20 at 5:10 pm

Yes. But not everything is in the public records. Plus, I only listen to 70s music...once in a great while. I don't think that is enough for me to discuss and know about the entire decade in detail.

The point is there were decades with their own identities before you were born. Your original post would have been more accurate if it said "the 90s were the only decade with it's own identity in my lifetime".

Written By: violet_shy on 10/10/20 at 5:25 pm

The point is there were decades with their own identities before you were born. Your original post would have been more accurate if it said "the 90s were the only decade with it's own identity in my lifetime".

Sheesh  ::)

...the 90s were the only decade with it's own identityin my lifetime...

There ya go!

But I still say I should have lived through the decades to know for sure...

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/10/20 at 6:02 pm

But I still say I should have lived through the decades to know for sure...

That's why I said it can't be qualified or quantified and why I said  "we don't know "all time'". You have made my point exactly. Thank you. You are a peach. The original post was a deeply flawed premise in the first place.

Written By: Jaydawg89 on 10/12/20 at 3:41 am

They were a very chill time, it was after the Cold War and before the War on Terrorism. After the fall of the Berlin wall, there was a sense of optimism and peacefulness that hadn't been felt in a long time, the paranoia over the cold war was over.

As the 90s happened, people rarely criticized the pop culture of the decade until atleast about 1997ish.

Also, the 90s have a very well... "normal" look to them and it was a very down to earth decade if that makes sense. Due to this, it doesn't have very much stuff to really make fun of/be ridiculed. People also dressed for comfort and the fashion was very casual, so there wasn't many way-out fashion trends from the decade either. To add, ironic humor was already a thing too and the culture was a lot more self-aware compared to previous decades.

Check for new replies or respond here...