inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was the graphical/young adult aesthetic of 1996?

Written By: 90s Guy on 12/09/20 at 12:32 pm

Same question as went for 1998 - but for 1996 as well.

Subject: Re: What was the graphical/young adult aesthetic of 1996?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/09/20 at 12:39 pm

Are these decadeology?  :-\\  ???

Written By: violet_shy on 12/14/20 at 5:18 pm

1996 was a very strange year. Fashion was pretty much a mixture of futuristic meets boring 90s. Music took a turn out if the norm and into some styles I can't even explain. I feel like 1996 was it's own era. Very strange and the atmosphere was alienated a little. 

Written By: DavidReyes on 12/14/20 at 5:44 pm

1996 was a very strange year. Fashion was pretty much a mixture of futuristic meets boring 90s. Music took a turn out if the norm and into some styles I can't even explain. I feel like 1996 was it's own era. Very strange and the atmosphere was alienated a little.

I feel like you represent the 90s very well. You lived through the entire decade from beginning to the end. You were the right age so you enjoyed the real culture of the 90s. I think you represent your generation to the T! You're talented and nice. You're like the living 1990s diva or princess.

Written By: violet_shy on 12/15/20 at 10:41 am

I feel like you represent the 90s very well. You lived through the entire decade from beginning to the end. You were the right age so you enjoyed the real culture of the 90s. I think you represent your generation to the T! You're talented and nice. You're like the living 1990s diva or princess.

Oh...thank you!!  ;D

Written By: 90s Guy on 12/15/20 at 9:43 pm

I actually feel 1996 was a VERY strange and bizarre and perhaps even cursed year. Even the movies (think James & the Giant Peach, The Frighteners) had this surreal, "alienated" vibe as you put it.
On a personal level, 1996 was a year of turmoil for me.
Year started with my dad's bird of 15 years suddenly dying. We got another in the summer, that died too rapidly. I developed warts in the spring and summer. My mother suffered a mental collapse in June and was hospitalized, then terminated from her job in August suddenly after 15 years without any real reason. There was all sorts of turmoil with my younger sisters. My eldest sister moved out suddenly in May 1996. My parents were arguing all the time and for at least a portion of the year were partially separated. In December, to escape these circumstances, my parents bought a house in NJ on Dec 2, 1996. We moved in January 1st 1997.

My girlfriend's mother and father separated December 9th 1996 and never got back together and that started him on the path to being a dead beat dad.

My favorite video game company, Sierra (which I already loved at that time) was bought out by a massive conglomerate in February 1996. Sale closed in July 1996. If you read the book the CEO/Founder wrote, there was nothing but corporate warfare going on from July through the rest of the year and even legal documents bear this out, describing the second half of 1996 as "hellish." The company they were bought by turned out to be engaging in the biggest accounting fraud in history, basically like Enron, and almost broke Sierra financially.

Van Halen's original got back together, only to break up again, in 1996.

My favorite band, Guns N' Roses - guitarist Slash quit the band October 30th 1996.

Atari essentially went defunct and out of business in 1996.

Sega went from being the leader in video gaming sales in 1994 to being in third place between Sony and Nintendo in 1996; for 1994-1995 they had dominated the market.

I really think the year was cursed.

Written By: violet_shy on 12/15/20 at 11:36 pm

I actually feel 1996 was a VERY strange and bizarre and perhaps even cursed year. Even the movies (think James & the Giant Peach, The Frighteners) had this surreal, "alienated" vibe as you put it.
On a personal level, 1996 was a year of turmoil for me.
Year started with my dad's bird of 15 years suddenly dying. We got another in the summer, that died too rapidly. I developed warts in the spring and summer. My mother suffered a mental collapse in June and was hospitalized, then terminated from her job in August suddenly after 15 years without any real reason. There was all sorts of turmoil with my younger sisters. My eldest sister moved out suddenly in May 1996. My parents were arguing all the time and for at least a portion of the year were partially separated. In December, to escape these circumstances, my parents bought a house in NJ on Dec 2, 1996. We moved in January 1st 1997.

My girlfriend's mother and father separated December 9th 1996 and never got back together and that started him on the path to being a dead beat dad.

My favorite video game company, Sierra (which I already loved at that time) was bought out by a massive conglomerate in February 1996. Sale closed in July 1996. If you read the book the CEO/Founder wrote, there was nothing but corporate warfare going on from July through the rest of the year and even legal documents bear this out, describing the second half of 1996 as "hellish." The company they were bought by turned out to be engaging in the biggest accounting fraud in history, basically like Enron, and almost broke Sierra financially.

Van Halen's original got back together, only to break up again, in 1996.

My favorite band, Guns N' Roses - guitarist Slash quit the band October 30th 1996.

Atari essentially went defunct and out of business in 1996.

Sega went from being the leader in video gaming sales in 1994 to being in third place between Sony and Nintendo in 1996; for 1994-1995 they had dominated the market.

I really think the year was cursed.

Some eerie, strange songs from 1996:

Love fool by The Cardigans
Kissing you by Total
The things that you do(Bad boy remix) by Gina Thompson
Tell me by Shades
Happy meal by The Cardigans
Use your heart by SWV

Check for new replies or respond here...