inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sega and Nintendo’s 90s mistakes

Written By: 90s Guy on 12/14/20 at 3:56 pm

Despite the early-mid 90s being the high watermark of both Sega and Nintendo, both made some costly mistakes in the 90s:

Sega
-Releasing the 32x in late 1994 at the same time as the Saturn and not making it compatible with the Saturn

-Shifting the release date of the Saturn from September 1995 to May 1995 without warning developers or all retailers and only giving retailers a small supply

-Making Saturn a 2D focused system and adding another 3D chip at the last minute which made the system hard for programmers to work on

-Sega of Japan refusing to have Silicon Graphics develop the graphics chip for the Saturn. SGI developed the N64’s graphics chip instead

-Sega of Japan turning down Sony’s offer to develop the Play Station as a Sega product

-Not having a 3D Sonic game for Christmas 1996

Nintendo

-Releasing the horrible Virtual Boy

-Alienating Sony who were developing the Play Station for them

-Signing a deal with Philips to develop the CDi and licensing Zelda and Mario games to it

-Delaying the N64 for over a year which allowed PS1 to massively outsell it (PS1 sold over 100 million copies to N64’s 32 million)

Subject: Re: Sega and Nintendo’s 90s mistakes

Written By: violet_shy on 12/14/20 at 5:09 pm

I still liked Sega more.

Written By: GeekyAlgorithm on 12/29/20 at 6:50 am

Sega's commercials had Phil LaMarr from MadTV (but distorted) poke fun at the other consoles when their console was the worst-selling out of all of them.

Written By: Dude111 on 01/03/21 at 11:42 pm

I only like the original Nintendo and not that much... (I prefer older consoles)

I love Atari 2600 and Coleco

Written By: Howard on 01/04/21 at 3:07 pm

I only like the original Nintendo and not that much... (I prefer older consoles)

I love Atari 2600 and Coleco

How far do you go when it comes to older consoles?

Written By: Dude111 on 01/04/21 at 9:53 pm

Quite far buddy..... I have tons of Atari games and many coleco games :)

What consoles have you had??

Written By: Howard on 01/05/21 at 3:43 am

Quite far buddy..... I have tons of Atari games and many coleco games :)

What consoles have you had??

I believe I've had an Atari 2600, Nintendo, A Gameboy, Playstation 2 and a 3.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/12/21 at 8:41 pm

Despite Nintendo's mistakes, especially with the Virtual Boy, Sega is THE textbook example of what gaming companies shouldn't do. What really stood out to me during Sega's hardware era was that the Saturn was rushed so hard in order to compete with the PlayStation instead of letting developers take their time to release their games. Even KB Toys didn't want to distribute the Saturn in their stores. It really  killed Sega's credibility.

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/15/21 at 5:49 am

Despite the early-mid 90s being the high watermark of both Sega and Nintendo, both made some costly mistakes in the 90s:

Sega

-Not having a 3D Sonic game for Christmas 1996

Actually, Sega released Sonic 3D Blast for Saturn and the Genesis/Mega Drive, but it was really just a 2.5D game in that you couldn't really go in a full circle, just eight directions. I did indeed receive a copy of one for Christmas '96, but I knew that now that the PlayStation and N64 were starting to make noise, Sega's credibility was quickly down in a quarter, in contrast to its dominance just two years ago. The final mistake that Sega made in that decade was not allowing the Dreamcast to play DVDs, which the Sony PS2 could do a year later.

Written By: whistledog on 01/16/21 at 1:39 pm

The Virtual Boy was a good idea, but the fact that it was red and black only was it's downfall.  Nintendo has more mistakes now than they did in the 90s, the main one being aiming most of their games towards kids.  I mean don't get me wrong, Mario and Sonic games are fun, but so are games rated 17+

Check for new replies or respond here...