inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 90's Soundtrack Songs

Written By: whistledog on 02/28/21 at 5:33 pm

I'll start with one that is somewhat obscure.  This is a cover of the Joni Mitchell song Both Sides Now by Clannad and Paul Young from the 1991 motion picture Switch starring Jimmy Smits and Ellen Barkin.  It peaked at #74 in the UK and #64 in Canada.

Ob0mYdbFjdU

--------------------

Here's one that's very well known.  The Elvis classic Can't Help Falling in Love by UB40 from the 1993 film Sliver starring Sharon Stone and Billy Baldwin.  This was a #1 hit in many countries including the US, Canada and the UK

vUdloUqZa7w

Subject: Re: 90's Soundtrack Songs

Written By: whistledog on 02/28/21 at 5:57 pm

Speaking of UB40, here they are again with their 1997 single Tell Me Is It True.  It is from the soundtrack to the film Speed 2: Cruise Control in which they also have a cameo appearance as the ship's entertainment performing said song as well as Can't Help Falling in Love.  This one made it to #14 in the UK chart

nh9yN_jIxQ0

----------------------

Here is the song It Must Have Been Love by Roxette.  Originally a Christmas song that was a Top 5 hit in Sweden during 1987, it was re-recorded (removing the Christmas theme) and released world-wide as a single from the 1990 film Pretty Woman starring Richard Gere and Julia Roberts where it peaked at #1 in both the US and Canada and made the Top 10 just about everywhere else it charted around the world

k2C5TjS2sh4

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/28/21 at 6:22 pm

I'll start with one that is somewhat obscure.  This is a cover of the Joni Mitchell song Both Sides Now by Clannad and Paul Young from the 1991 motion picture Switch starring Jimmy Smits and Ellen Barkin.  It peaked at #74 in the UK and #64 in Canada.

Ob0mYdbFjdU

--------------------

Here's one that's very well known.  The Elvis classic Can't Help Falling in Love by UB40 from the 1993 film Sliver starring Sharon Stone and Billy Baldwin.  This was a #1 hit in many countries including the US, Canada and the UK

vUdloUqZa7w

That is really weird because I was JUST thinking of the movie Switch (that I hadn't seen in years).

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/28/21 at 6:34 pm

From You Got Mail (1998) Harry Nilsson's The Puppy Song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsJBynpLn2s

As a kid, this was one of my favorite songs. As an adult, I was trying to find a copy of it but didn't know the name of it and most people (I knew anyway) had never heard of it. Then when I was watching the movie, I heard the song and I think I started shouting "Oh my god! Oh my god!" and jumping up and down that it was in there. (I was watching it on cable at home. I wasn't shouting and jumping in a movie theatre. lol) I watched the credits to learn the name.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 02/28/21 at 7:05 pm

That is really weird because I was JUST thinking of the movie Switch (that I hadn't seen in years).

Cat

It was a really good movie.  If it wasn't for the 1986 film Running Scared, it would probably be my favourite movie that Jimmy Smits has been in

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/04/21 at 3:33 pm

It was a really good movie.  If it wasn't for the 1986 film Running Scared, it would probably be my favourite movie that Jimmy Smits has been in

Don't know if I ever seen Running Scared. But yeah, Switch was a good movie.

Cat

Written By: BornIn86 on 03/06/21 at 6:54 pm

From You Got Mail (1998) Harry Nilsson's The Puppy Song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsJBynpLn2s

As a kid, this was one of my favorite songs. As an adult, I was trying to find a copy of it but didn't know the name of it and most people (I knew anyway) had never heard of it. Then when I was watching the movie, I heard the song and I think I started shouting "Oh my god! Oh my god!" and jumping up and down that it was in there. (I was watching it on cable at home. I wasn't shouting and jumping in a movie theatre. lol) I watched the credits to learn the name.

Cat

hahaha. Isn't finding out the name of your favorite songs after years of not knowing one of the best feelings on earth?

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/06/21 at 10:05 pm

Don't know if I ever seen Running Scared. But yeah, Switch was a good movie.

Cat

I haven’t seen it but I have the soundtrack. I bought it for Sweet Freedom but the whole thing is great. Every song is crisp and fitting of the times.

Check for new replies or respond here...