inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Were you a gamer in the 90s?

Written By: violet_shy on 03/12/21 at 2:12 pm

I was a big gamer back in the 90s! I liked my Sega Genesis, and NES64.❤

I loved all of the Sonic The Hedgehog games.

I also loved The legend Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, The legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, and Donkey Kong 64. But there were many more that I loved!

These days I haven't been much a gamer anymore since I now have responsibilities in life. :\'( The last time I played a video game was in 2007. But every once in a great while I watch them online. I guess you can call me an "old school" gamer. :)

Subject: Re: Were you a gamer in the 90s?

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/12/21 at 5:42 pm

Maybe very early 90s I had a handful of NES1 games I liked. I wouldn’t consider myself a gamer. I just played sometimes and didn’t totally get into it. Once I started playing bass I think Christmas 1991, that became my main passion.

After that I never really played anything electronic except the occasional solitaire, minesweeper, or my handheld games from time to time.

I only like simple games that don’t look too realistic. Atari, Coleco, NES1 was my cutoff. If I was to play anything these days, it would be that old simple stuff.

Written By: Contigo on 03/12/21 at 6:00 pm

My son was . He had a game boy he carried around everywhere
He had a sega , he played basketball games, soccer , car racing .

Written By: 2001 on 03/12/21 at 6:08 pm

As the author of these threads, you bet!

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=52797.0
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=53111.0
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=54188.0

I was a kid in the late '90s so I played a lot of those but I got to play a lot early '90s games as well including the three Sonic games, Street Fighter 2, the Disney games, Chrono Cross and several others. :)

PC gaming was also popping then. My favourites would have to be SimCity 3000, Rollercoaster Tycoon and General Hospital.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/12/21 at 7:17 pm

As the author of these threads, you bet!

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=52797.0
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=53111.0
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=54188.0

I was a kid in the late '90s so I played a lot of those but I got to play a lot early '90s games as well including the three Sonic games, Street Fighter 2, the Disney games, Chrono Cross and several others. :)

PC gaming was also popping then. My favourites would have to be SimCity 3000, Rollercoaster Tycoon and General Hospital.

Sorry everyone. I didn't know there were other topics about this.

I remember the PC games too! But I was more into consoles and gaming systems. I feel so gamer nostalgic right now.. lol.

Written By: mqg96 on 03/12/21 at 8:33 pm

This year is Zelda's 35th anniversary, so I finally decided to give the Zelda games a go for the first time ever this year, and I've fallen in love with the series! I've beaten The Legend of Zelda (original NES), Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, and now I'm currently on The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past which is my favorite by far. So only the 2D Zeldas, but I'll be getting to the 3D Zeldas soon on the Nintendo 64 and beyond!

Written By: violet_shy on 03/13/21 at 11:18 am

This year is Zelda's 35th anniversary, so I finally decided to give the Zelda games a go for the first time ever this year, and I've fallen in love with the series! I've beaten The Legend of Zelda (original NES), Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, and now I'm currently on The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past which is my favorite by far. So only the 2D Zeldas, but I'll be getting to the 3D Zeldas soon on the Nintendo 64 and beyond!

Have you beaten The Ocarina of Time? It's one of my all time favorites of the Zelda games.

Written By: Howard on 03/13/21 at 3:22 pm

The only thing I owned was a GameBoy, I've had it for almost 30 years but I haven't played it for quite a very long time, it's probably not in the best working condition.

Written By: whistledog on 03/13/21 at 8:46 pm

In the 90s, I had a Turbo Grafx-16 and a Sega Game Gear.  My brother had a Sega Genesis.  At the time, I never made it out of the 16 bit era.  Consoles were coming too fast and I just couldn't keep up, so I gave up.  I missed the whole N64/PS1 and Xbox/PS2 era.  I jumped back in with PS3 and I since have acquired many games and systems and I now have a massive game room

Written By: 2001 on 03/14/21 at 1:40 pm

Sorry everyone. I didn't know there were other topics about this.

I remember the PC games too! But I was more into consoles and gaming systems. I feel so gamer nostalgic right now.. lol.

Sorry, I was just flexing my '90s nerd bonafides, I'm always down to talk video games from any decade :D

I'm also more of a console and handheld kid.

LTTP is my one of my favourites. I should give those earlier Zelda games a go.

In the 90s, I had a Turbo Grafx-16 and a Sega Game Gear.  My brother had a Sega Genesis.  At the time, I never made it out of the 16 bit era.  Consoles were coming too fast and I just couldn't keep up, so I gave up.  I missed the whole N64/PS1 and Xbox/PS2 era.  I jumped back in with PS3 and I since have acquired many games and systems and I now have a massive game room

I've always been fascinated by the Japanese PC-Engine (Turbo Grafx-16) although that was more of an '80s system over there. It has a lot of good 2D shooters (SHMUPs) which is one of my favourite genres.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/15/21 at 2:55 pm

I was a big gamer back in the 90s! I liked my Sega Genesis, and NES64.❤

I loved all of the Sonic The Hedgehog games.

I also loved The legend Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, The legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, and Donkey Kong 64. But there were many more that I loved!

These days I haven't been much a gamer anymore since I now have responsibilities in life. :\'( The last time I played a video game was in 2007. But every once in a great while I watch them online. I guess you can call me an "old school" gamer. :)

Technically I didn't get a Nintendo 64 and those games until 2000, but those were some of my favorites (also need to mention 007: Golden Eye). In the Early 90's I was still in to NES games while they were still around and popular, until I switched to Sega Genesis. I took a break from gaming in the Mid 90's because long story short, I got very angry at the final boss of Mortal Kombat II and threw the controller at the TV and broke it (it was a see-thru controller). I also though it would help my social life. In 1997, I actually bought a Super Nintendo and 10 games, and then sold them after a few months. Then in 1999 I bought a PS1 but my games and console got mixed with others (living in a shared space).

Written By: violet_shy on 03/15/21 at 3:17 pm

. I took a break from gaming in the Mid 90's because long story short, I got very angry at the final boss of Mortal Kombat II and threw the controller at the TV and broke it (it was a see-thru controller).

;D

Back then whenever I lost a battle or couldn't beat the game, I would scream so loudly! I hated to lose in a game! ;D ;D

A classmate got me to like the Mortal Kombat games. And I never got passed levels 3 or 4 lol. Then I got to the higher levels and I thought I was the queen of the world... ;D ;D ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/15/21 at 3:32 pm

My sister introduced me to Zelda (the original game). I was so thrilled that I found a Nintendo system at a used store for only $50-and they threw in Zelda for free. I was SOOOO PSYCHED!  I then got other games, Dragon Quest, Dr. Mario, Monster Party, and Star Tropics to name a few.

I introduced them to Carlos. A lot of times, he would work the controllers as I guided him.

Then my SIL induced us to N64. So, naturally we had to get that. We played Zelda: The Ocarina of Time I don't know how many times, but never did finish Majora's Mask. We have Super Mario, Mario Kart, Rayman, Body Harvest (Carlos really likes that one), Donkey Kong (which I really like except that I could never get to the last level because I had to beat the original Donkey Kong which I could never do.), Gex, And probably a few more.

We still have ALL of the games and both systems but they are not hooked up. Maybe I should hook them up some time.

Cat

Written By: violet_shy on 03/15/21 at 3:52 pm

My sister introduced me to Zelda (the original game). I was so thrilled that I found a Nintendo system at a used store for only $50-and they threw in Zelda for free. I was SOOOO PSYCHED!  I then got other games, Dragon Quest, Dr. Mario, Monster Party, and Star Tropics to name a few.

Cat

I haven't looked into it, but the original Nintendo gaming systems are hard to find aren't they? $50 is not bad at all. We have every console except the original Nintendo.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/15/21 at 4:05 pm

I haven't looked into it, but the original Nintendo gaming systems are hard to find aren't they? $50 is not bad at all. We have every console except the original Nintendo.

Like I said, I was so excited that I found it for that price. But, then I realized that it already a bit obsolete by then which is why I got it for so cheap. I was also able to find games cheaper, too. Super Nintendo was out by then. But, I think it terms of longevity I think the original outlasted Super Nintendo by a long shot. Today, most people look for the original or N64-in terms of the older systems.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 03/16/21 at 7:21 am

You mean the one that looks like a big box? ???

Written By: violet_shy on 03/16/21 at 7:53 am

You mean the one that looks like a big box? ???

Yes. My brother use to own one but we can't even remember what happened to it. They are hard to find.

Written By: Howard on 03/16/21 at 1:50 pm

Yes. My brother use to own one but we can't even remember what happened to it. They are hard to find.

Have you seen the portable Nintendo systems?

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/16/21 at 5:41 pm

I still have our old one. Was in my dad’s attic for the longest time till I reclaimed it. Couldn’t get it to work right. It’s just in a box in the garage for someday if I get the urge to tinker with it.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/16/21 at 5:45 pm

I still have our old one. Was in my dad’s attic for the longest time till I reclaimed it. Couldn’t get it to work right. It’s just in a box in the garage for someday if I get the urge to tinker with it.

Oh lucky you! Do you have any of the games?

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/16/21 at 5:49 pm

Oh lucky you! Do you have any of the games?

Yes a handful. Hard to say if it’s the console or the games but I get some gibberish when I try to play them.

Written By: Howard on 03/17/21 at 3:39 pm

What console is that? ???

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/17/21 at 4:18 pm

What console is that? ???

NES1. The original square one.

Written By: Howard on 03/18/21 at 3:23 pm

I wasn't really much of a gamer except for my small GameBoy.

Check for new replies or respond here...