inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Perceptions of the Simpsons in the 90s

Written By: BotleyCrew on 06/18/21 at 1:44 pm

How do you remember the reception of the show throughout the decade? Did it change slowly or dramatically? Around when did it switch from being a "dangerous" countercultural show to an acclaimed comedy?

Subject: Re: Perceptions of the Simpsons in the 90s

Written By: violet_shy on 06/18/21 at 2:03 pm

I rarely watched The Simpsons. In the early 90s(1990 to 1992) I was more into the WB cartoons like Tiny Toon Adventures.

I use to think The Simpsons were boring.  :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/18/21 at 2:06 pm

I rarely watched The Simpsons. In the early 90s(1990 to 1992)

I was the same, probably the last one I saw was the 'Michael Jackson' episode.

I did find movie more entertaining than I originally expected.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/18/21 at 2:43 pm

I never paid much attention to it. Is it still on?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/18/21 at 2:50 pm

I believe so.

Written By: Howard on 06/18/21 at 4:27 pm

I rarely watched The Simpsons. In the early 90s(1990 to 1992) I was more into the WB cartoons like Tiny Toon Adventures.

Simpsons was funny a long time ago.

Written By: Howard on 06/18/21 at 4:28 pm

31 years.

Written By: Contigo on 06/18/21 at 5:40 pm

I was 30+ when the show began, never thought of it as "dangerous" countercultural, just a silly and funny comedy. I laughed at how stupid Homer was. Some of the episodes were quite funny

My parents on the other hand hated the show because they believed you shouldnt make fun of a father figure and make him that stupid (this is the same 2 that loved "All in the family", a show with a stupid father figure).

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/18/21 at 5:52 pm

I was 30+ when the show began, never thought of it as "dangerous" countercultural, just a silly and funny comedy. I laughed at how stupid Homer was. Some of the episodes were quite funny

My parents on the other hand hated the show because they believed you shouldnt make fun of a father figure and make him that stupid (this is the same 2 that loved "All in the family", a show with a stupid father figure).

Correct! Simpsons was never countercultural (WHAT counterculture in the 90s?) OR dangerous. It was just satirical.

"All In The  Family", on the other hand, ABSOLUTELY caused a major cultural shift in television.  Part of it's brilliance was that Archie said all kinds of racist, sexist, homophobic things but NEVER won an argument anytime, anyway, anyhow. The objects of his derision----the black neighbors, the gay friend, the hippie son-in-law, the long suffering wife----all always got the best of him.

Written By: Contigo on 06/18/21 at 6:05 pm

Correct! Simpsons was never countercultural (WHAT counterculture in the 90s?) OR dangerous. It was just satirical.

"All In The  Family", on the other hand, ABSOLUTELY caused a major cultural shift in television.  Part of it's brilliance was that Archie said all kinds of racist, sexist, homophobic things but NEVER won an argument anytime, anyway, anyhow. The objects of his derision----the black neighbors, the gay friend, the hippie son-in-law, the long suffering wife----all always got the best of him.

I hear so often how "All in the family" wouldn't work today because (and I hate this name) snowflakes would be so upset and couldn't handle it.
They missed out on the whole  point of the show, to show how wrong and stupid Archie was and the show was funny because we were laughing at him. 

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/18/21 at 6:29 pm

I hear so often how "All in the family" wouldn't work today because (and I hate this name) snowflakes would be so upset and couldn't handle it.
They missed out on the whole  point of the show, to show how wrong and stupid Archie was and the show was funny because we were laughing at him.

I'm still trying to figure out HOW it got this way. HOW the "snowflakes" lost all sense of knowing that a show like "All In the Family" was a strong social statement. An anti-racist, anti-war, anti-homophobic, etc statement created by one of Hollywood's (or anybody's) most liberal people, Norman Lear.  How did they lose all common sense and not notice? ALL they see now is "an old white man saying racist things". Yeah, TO SERVE A HIGHER PURPOSE. Why does this even need to be explained? When did people lose the gene that knows that?

Written By: BotleyCrew on 06/18/21 at 9:59 pm

I was 30+ when the show began, never thought of it as "dangerous" countercultural, just a silly and funny comedy.

So the moral panic about Bart was overbown?

Written By: violet_shy on 06/18/21 at 10:06 pm

I remember around 1989, 1990 when everyone wore a Bart Simpson T-shirt...haha lol. Except me! That was around the time people use to iron their designs on T-Shirts. It was so tacky! But fun.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/18/21 at 10:20 pm

I don't recall that there was any moral panic about The Simpsons. You may possibly be thinking of the "Satanic Ritual Abuse" panic of the 90s which all turned out to be absolute baloney.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/18/21 at 10:28 pm

I just read on Wikipedia that The Simpsons first appeared in 1987. Look how crude and awful the animation was! Then later they changed them up a little. I don't know. I didn't get all the hype about them back then. I still don't.

https://i.ibb.co/cFq0QPK/hqdefault.jpg

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/18/21 at 10:30 pm

I'm still trying to figure out HOW it got this way. HOW the "snowflakes" lost all sense of knowing that a show like "All In the Family" was a strong social statement. An anti-racist, anti-war, anti-homophobic, etc statement created by one of Hollywood's (or anybody's) most liberal people, Norman Lear.  How did they lose all common sense and not notice? ALL they see now is "an old white man saying racist things". Yeah, TO SERVE A HIGHER PURPOSE. Why does this even need to be explained? When did people lose the gene that knows that?

2 words, zero tolerance. It’s pure laziness. No effort to consider the context of anything. Even if what you’re saying or doing agrees with what’s right in the world.

As far as the simpsons, I think they started on fox. I didn’t get fox up north until several years later, late 1992. So I never really watched them. I’ve seen little snippets which were funny (Homer), but part of me feels like I walked in mid conversation. And I don’t have the desire to watch it all from the beginning.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/18/21 at 10:34 pm

As far as the simpsons, I think they started on fox. I didn’t get fox up north until several years later, late 1992. So I never really watched them. I’ve seen little snippets which were funny (Homer), but part of me feels like I walked in mid conversation. And I don’t have the desire to watch it all from the beginning.

If I recall, the Simpsons started on the Tracy Ullman show as little short bits. There was nothing particularly controversial about it. There was a lot of marketing. T Shirts, action figures, etc, etc. It generated a lot of income.

Written By: andersenb11775 on 06/19/21 at 1:51 am

the Simpsons *did* face a moral panic. "Itchy, Scratchy and Marge" parodied it.

Written By: Howard on 06/19/21 at 4:47 am

There were times when Homer was stupid or when Homer started choking out Bart by wringing his neck almost all the time.

Written By: Howard on 06/19/21 at 4:50 am

If I recall, the Simpsons started on the Tracy Ullman show as little short bits. There was nothing particularly controversial about it. There was a lot of marketing. T Shirts, action figures, etc, etc. It generated a lot of income.

And after that The Simpsons became a thing.

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/20/21 at 6:26 am

Grunge, the gothic counterculture, Clubs Kids scene, Rave culture, Hacker culture

Written By: Contigo on 06/20/21 at 6:53 pm

Not among my friends around my age, but for my parents who were born 100 years ago, possibly. They were more concerned that a father figure was portrayed too stupidly (Homer) than concerns with a brat like Bart.

Written By: Howard on 06/21/21 at 6:59 am

I don't understand what the story was of Homer liking donuts all the time?

Written By: andersenb11775 on 06/21/21 at 9:49 am

Johnny Depp may be an arse but put it right when you compare how adults saw this show as in 1990 with how they view it now - “people who don’t believe in you will in later years claim that they met you”.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/21/21 at 9:10 pm

I don't understand what the story was of Homer liking donuts all the time?

I don't either. But, I can relate cause donuts are good. ;D

Written By: MagicalCherry1987 on 09/11/21 at 1:36 pm

The Simpsons were awesome! My favorite episode was "Marge vs. the Monorail" (still a classic!) I always wanted to be Lisa.

The WB cartoons were great too.

Written By: Howard on 09/11/21 at 3:19 pm

Was Nelson always a bully?

Check for new replies or respond here...