inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why was the Macarena so insanely popular?

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/19/21 at 11:12 am

Yes, the dance is fun, I do remember dancing it back in 1996. I get that it's fun. Fads are fun.

But the song dominated the Billboard Hot 100 from August 3rd 1996, to November 9th 1996 without interruption.

It had entered the top ten for the week of June 29th, 1996 and steadily rose throughout the summer, as well.

That's literally 5 straight months of it either being a major force in music, or dominating music as a whole.

Whether it was on Miss Teen USA, or the Democratic National Convention, the song was literally inescapable throughout the Summer of 1996 all the way to Autumn 1996.

Even in a home movie as early as mid March 1996, it's already a hot new dance song, although on the home movie some have to be instructed on the dance moves.

Subject: Re: Why was the Macarena so insanely popular?

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/22/21 at 11:43 am

It was to the '90s to what the Gangham Style was to the 2010s, or The Hustle to the '70s. All were insanely popular "Supersongs" that spawned out an entire franchise out of the song, with not just numerous versions/remixes, but to pretty much all peripheral audiences who were out of the loop in pop for decades. But once the Teen Pop wave of 1997-98 really hit, the song was quickly the butt of jokes like disco was in the early '80s. 

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/22/21 at 12:08 pm

It was to the '90s to what the Gangham Style was to the 2010s, or The Hustle to the '70s. All were insanely popular "Supersongs" that spawned out an entire franchise out of the song, with not just numerous versions/remixes, but to pretty much all peripheral audiences who were out of the loop in pop for decades. But once the Teen Pop wave of 1997-98 really hit, the song was quickly the butt of jokes like disco was in the early '80s.

You nailed it. All were novelty songs that were tied in to a dance craze. They blow into town like a hurricane and then vanish, having made all the money they can possibly make. It's not art, it's MARKETING. Just as it was intended to be. And, like you point out, it gives all the "out of the loop" people a peg to hang their hat on and feel "a part of something" for ten minutes. Again, it was created to do just that. And part of the whole process is that when they run their course they become an object of derision. Perhaps even an element of guilt creeps in, with some people feeling a bit shamefaced they were swept up in something they later perceive as possibly having been a bit silly.

But strangely, these songs and dances have a bizarre afterlife at events such as weddings where DJs prevail and middle aged housewives, the vestiges of the "out of the loop" group, dance and  exalt in them.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/21 at 12:11 pm

You beat me to "The Hustle" for the 1970s, how about the Twist in the 1960s, or the Birdie Song (with it's dance) in the 1980s?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/22/21 at 12:16 pm

You beat me to "The Hustle" for the 1970s, how about the Twist in the 1960s, or the Birdie Song (with it's dance) in the 1980s?

The 60s also had the "Hully Gully", an early form of line dance, which was danced to the piano instrumental "Alley Cat" by Bent Fabric.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/21 at 12:17 pm

The 60s also had the "Hully Gully", an early form of line dance, which was danced to the piano instrumental "Alley Cat" by Bent Fabric.
How about line dancing in general?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/21 at 12:52 pm

There's a certain song, 
Released in 1992,
If anyone posts it here,
A fudge is what I'll do.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/21 at 1:19 pm

How about Johann Strauss II "The Waltz King" with his waltzes from the mid 1800s?

Written By: Howard on 06/22/21 at 2:08 pm

The Macarena was just a dance craze for that time cause Los Del Rio made it popular that people at special occasions requested that song to be played.

Written By: Howard on 06/22/21 at 2:13 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWaymcVmJ-A

Written By: violet_shy on 06/22/21 at 2:47 pm

Around that time, there was also this song by The Bayside Boys. It sounded like The Macarena.

Bayside Boys - Caliente (1996)

uu4PFb1-TY8

Written By: whistledog on 06/22/21 at 5:44 pm

There were two versions of Macarena out at the time, and I remember being quite confused.  The original and most famous one is by Los Del Rio, but there was a cover the same year by Los Del Mar and at the time, I couldn't differentiate the two, though now I can as the Los Del Rio version samples Alison Moyet's laugh from the 1982 song 'Situation' by Yaz, the Los Del Mar version does not. 

Los Del Mar was a Canadian act, so it naturally got the bigger airplay here, but because we get much of our media from the US, the Los Del Rio version was the one I'd see most referenced on TV

zJ2hqQWIx64

There was also a Christmas Macarena (that featured jingle bells and added lyrics from some traditional Christmas songs) and a version by The Chipmunks, credited as Los Del Chipmunks and a version in 2019 by American rapper Tyga

Los Del Rio - Macarena (1996)
US #23 (original version)
US #1 (Bayside Boys Remix)
UK #2
CAN (Dance chart) #16

Los Del Mar featuring Wil Veloz - Macarena (1996)
CAN #62
CAN (Dance chart) #2
US #71
UK #43

Los Del Chipmunks - Macarena (1996)
UK #65

Los Del Rio - Christmas Macarena (1996)
US #57

Tyga - Ayy Macarena (2019)
CAN #48

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/21 at 7:22 am

There were two versions of Macarena out at the time, and I remember being quite confused.  The original and most famous one is by Los Del Rio, but there was a cover the same year by Los Del Mar and at the time, I couldn't differentiate the two, though now I can as the Los Del Rio version samples Alison Moyet's laugh from the 1982 song 'Situation' by Yaz, the Los Del Mar version does not. 

Los Del Mar was a Canadian act, so it naturally got the bigger airplay here, but because we get much of our media from the US, the Los Del Rio version was the one I'd see most referenced on TV

zJ2hqQWIx64

There was also a Christmas Macarena (that featured jingle bells and added lyrics from some traditional Christmas songs) and a version by The Chipmunks, credited as Los Del Chipmunks and a version in 2019 by American rapper Tyga

Los Del Rio - Macarena (1996)
US #23 (original version)
US #1 (Bayside Boys Remix)
UK #2
CAN (Dance chart) #16

Los Del Mar featuring Wil Veloz - Macarena (1996)
CAN #62
CAN (Dance chart) #2
US #71
UK #43

Los Del Chipmunks - Macarena (1996)
UK #65

Los Del Rio - Christmas Macarena (1996)
US #57

Tyga - Ayy Macarena (2019)
CAN #48
O0

Thank you, much appreciated, for I was beginning and trying a reply on this, but not getting anywhere due to deterioration of awakeness last night.

Written By: Howard on 06/23/21 at 3:11 pm

Around that time, there was also this song by The Bayside Boys. It sounded like The Macarena.

Bayside Boys - Caliente (1996)

uu4PFb1-TY8

Wow, I really like this.  :)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/24/21 at 1:58 am

There's a certain song, 
Released in 1992,
If anyone posts it here,
A fudge is what I'll do.

Is it this one???  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byQIPdHMpjc

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/21 at 2:00 am

Is it this one???  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byQIPdHMpjc
I have to keep my word, but I cannot fudge you as you are a buddy of mine!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/24/21 at 2:02 am

I have to keep my word, but I cannot fudge you as you are a buddy of mine!

Fudge away! I can handle it.  :D

Written By: Howard on 06/24/21 at 4:43 am

The Macarena was a dance just like what Las Ketchup did in 2002.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/21 at 4:49 am

The Macarena was a dance just like what Las Ketchup did in 2002.
Thank you, that was a dance I was trying to remember.

For Great Britain, these dance songs are big hits in Europe, British people hear them while on holiday there, and wish for more when they get home.

Written By: MagicalCherry1987 on 09/11/21 at 1:35 pm

I dunno, but I really loved doing it! That, Tickle Me Elmo, and Superman: The Animated Series were what I remember most about fall 1996.

Check for new replies or respond here...