inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: '90s slang that we made up

Written By: humaeast on 07/29/21 at 2:21 pm

Here are some slang that I know, just know, someone used in the '90s, but weren't as popular as the other ones. Most of them come from TV.

"Hey, listen, buster!" When you're angry at someone and want to get their attention. Originated from the Space Ghost Coast to Coast episode "Lovesick," so mid '90s.
"Let's do it to it" An affirmation of being really excited about something you're gonna do. Originated from Sonic SatAM, so early '90s.
"Stay frosty" When you leave somewhere and want to bid someone farewell. Originated from ReBoot, so mid to late '90s.
"Shut up, scruffy" When you're really annoyed at someone and can't take their sheesh. Originated from the Disney World attraction ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter, so mid '90s.
"That was a hoot!" When you've just finished something really cool. Originated from Rocko's Modern Life, so early '90s.
"Sponge Minion" A mindless fan of Barney. Originated from the anti-Barney newsgroups on the Internet, so early '90s.
"GET OVER HERE!" When you're angry at someone and want to get their attention. Originated from Mortal Kombat, so early '90s.
"Now I've got your power!" When you've beaten someone at a video game or a sport, you could say this to taunt the loser. Originated from the Mega Man cartoon, so mid '90s.

Anything else?

Subject: Re: '90s slang that we made up

Written By: violet_shy on 07/29/21 at 3:49 pm

In my old neighborhood growing up in the 90s, when someone would try to pick on us we would say:

"...you can roll your eyes, you can suck your teeth but this you sure can't beat!"

The idea was to say something positive about yourself.

Subject: Re: '90s slang that we made up

Written By: MagicalCherry1987 on 09/11/21 at 1:33 pm

"What in the wide world of extreme sports was that?" was something I liked to say whenever I saw something shocking. It originated from the Space Ghost Coast to Coast episode "Switcheroo," when they're all screaming at the eyeball after the break.

Speaking of Space Ghost, I picked up on Chad Ghostal's beatnik slang. My teachers were so confused when they heard me saying "daddy-o" and other slang straight out of the 50s. :D

Same with Rocko and his Australian slang. "Bonza!" ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...