inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 90s Never Ended (At least in fashion)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/18/21 at 12:03 pm

People don't notice it, but I'll tell you what never ended. The 90s. Specifically fashionwise. You may scoff, but as long as American men continue to walk around with baseball cap, bulky t shirt, baggy shorts and big sneakers, the 90s live on. Examine yourself. Do many of you adopt this as your "uniform"? Welcome to the 90s. I'll make it even easier. Forget the other stuff, do you wear a baseball cap, pretty much all the time? Prior to the 90s, basically only baseball players and pre-teen boys (generally playing little league baseball) wore them. And, after all, it's a baseball player's job to wear them. And the trend of men wearing shorts, baggy or otherwise, pretty much all the time regardless of weather or social occasion also began in a wholesale manner in the 90s.  In fact, the fact that men's shorts are so long compared to the 70s and 80s shorts worn by men started with Michael Jordan in the very early 90s and never left. He kicked up about having to wear the short, short basketball shorts that had been the norm for DECADES in pro basketball. To please him, the shorts were lengthened to absurd lengths, and his legions of fans followed suit, never to look back.

And then there's the matter of those who wear winter wool caps all year round. These are people who generally think they are hipper-than-thou and are often in indie bands (or whish they were). This started with 90s grunge.

In sum, early 90s rap and grunge fashions integrated themselves into the fabric of society and have remained, even if they have been modified to some degree and are no longer recognized as such.

Subject: Re: The 90s Never Ended (At least in fashion)

Written By: violet_shy on 08/18/21 at 12:41 pm

I don't see it. I grew up in the 90s and I can tell you that 90s fashion has not remained. I think they are just trying to dress comfortably. Believe me, baseball caps, shorts, and sneakers are not 90s fashion there was more to it.

I personally dress and keep up with the times.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 08/18/21 at 1:08 pm

That's basically true. "Grunge fashion" is basically the basis of regular fashion in the 21st century.

One thing that has changed since the 90s is how older people dress. Up to the 2000s, older men were button up shirts and sweaters. Now they just wear t-shirts when they're not at work.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/18/21 at 1:10 pm

I don't see it. I grew up in the 90s and I can tell you that 90s fashion has not remained. I think they are just trying to dress comfortably. Believe me, baseball caps, shorts, and sneakers are not 90s fashion there was more to it.

I personally dress and keep up with the times.

The fashions I mention came into prominent use in the 90s and have remained. Obviously baseball caps, for example, have existed forever, but the practice of EVERYBODY wearing them pretty much all the time, nonstop, is pure 90s. Baggy shorts are pure 90s.  The combination of baseball caps and baggy shorts is pure 90s. People may just want to dress "comfortable", but pre-90s it was NOT baseball cap, baggy shorts and big sneakers. Men's shorts were short, and no baseball cap. Sneakers are a whole topic of their own, for another time. I only mention them here in relation to the 90's-originated look of baseball cap, bulky t shirt and baggy shorts. 

You have proved my point by not recognizing/acknowledging these trends that originated in the 90s. They have morphed into the mainstream in a way that their origins have become unrecognized or obscured.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/18/21 at 1:12 pm

That's basically true. "Grunge fashion" is basically the basis of regular fashion in the 21st century.

One thing that has changed since the 90s is how older people dress. Up to the 2000s, older men were button up shirts and sweaters. Now they just wear t-shirts when they're not at work.

Yes, but I think it may have been the boomers (of which I am one) who started that.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/18/21 at 2:28 pm

I mostly agree!

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/18/21 at 6:05 pm

None of that uniform is mine. Only time I wear a hat whatsoever is to blow snow.

Grown men with ball caps I consider 80s. I thought it was the norm in more rural parts.

In the mid and late 80s, we had the long shorts, some kids at school called them “long jams”. But I agree I don’t recall men wearing the long shorts.

I also considered big sneakers an 80s thing. Except very early 90s which was basically 80s stereotypes hyped up. Core 90s footwear, I think of people going around in combat boots for the look. Or barefoot all the time, attributing it to being like a hippie.

Wool caps, totally agree, 90s all the way. Ugly flannels too. I have those but only for working on stuff when I’m gonna get dirty and cold.

Written By: CarCar on 08/20/21 at 4:13 am

People don't notice it, but I'll tell you what never ended. The 90s. Specifically fashionwise. You may scoff, but as long as American men continue to walk around with baseball cap, bulky t shirt, baggy shorts and big sneakers, the 90s live on. Examine yourself. Do many of you adopt this as your "uniform"? Welcome to the 90s. I'll make it even easier. Forget the other stuff, do you wear a baseball cap, pretty much all the time? Prior to the 90s, basically only baseball players and pre-teen boys (generally playing little league baseball) wore them. And, after all, it's a baseball player's job to wear them. And the trend of men wearing shorts, baggy or otherwise, pretty much all the time regardless of weather or social occasion also began in a wholesale manner in the 90s.  In fact, the fact that men's shorts are so long compared to the 70s and 80s shorts worn by men started with Michael Jordan in the very early 90s and never left. He kicked up about having to wear the short, short basketball shorts that had been the norm for DECADES in pro basketball. To please him, the shorts were lengthened to absurd lengths, and his legions of fans followed suit, never to look back.

And then there's the matter of those who wear winter wool caps all year round. These are people who generally think they are hipper-than-thou and are often in indie bands (or whish they were). This started with 90s grunge.

In sum, early 90s rap and grunge fashions integrated themselves into the fabric of society and have remained, even if they have been modified to some degree and are no longer recognized as such.

At this point wouldn’t the right way to say it would be like those trends or ways of wearing clothes became more acceptable in the 90s not 90s fashion trends anymore since they’ve evolved since then

Check for new replies or respond here...