inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Were the '90s a boring decade?

Written By: Slim95 on 10/03/21 at 2:43 am

Did it feel like a letdown after the '80s ended? Did it feel boring during the time? Or was there a lot of backlash of the '80s during that time so it felt new, fresh and exciting? I was too young to know about this obviously. So I would like to hear from people who are older than me for this question.

Subject: Re: Were the '90s a boring decade?

Written By: violet_shy on 10/04/21 at 1:40 pm

I remember there being a backlash for the 80s in the 90s. Nobody wanted to bring back or remember the 80s. The 90s were fun if you were growing up during that time. Older generations feel differently. I LOVE the 90s. It was my time and I really enjoyed it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/04/21 at 1:42 pm

Not indeed! I enjoyed every moment of the 1990s!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/04/21 at 2:08 pm

I liked the 90s. They were such a relief after the 80s. Things were earthy again, and less phony, frivolous, plastic and pastel than the insipidly uninspired 80s. Also, in the 80s all things 60s and 70s were held in scorn, but that was not the case in the 90s when things of the 60s and 70s were now dubbed "classic" or "timeless". Great musical artists of the 1960s who had floundered to find a place in the synthesizer and MTV 80s now were able to return to their classic selves and be appreciated for it. And they were.

This topic seems familiar. Didn't we do one almost exactly like it before?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/04/21 at 2:12 pm

The '90s was a good time for me. I did a lot of growing and healing. I found my voice, my strength, & my power. I also found the Love of my Life.

Cat

Written By: violet_shy on 10/04/21 at 2:30 pm

Also, in the 80s all things 60s and 70s were held in scorn, but that was not the case in the 90s when things of the 60s and 70s were now dubbed "classic" or "timeless". Great musical artists of the 1960s who had floundered to find a place in the synthesizer and MTV 80s now were able to return to their classic selves and be appreciated for it. And they were.

This is true. I remember the 60s and 70s nostalgia of the 90s. They brought back fads and music and TV shows from the 60s and 70s. It is how I became familiar with some classic TV shows and music.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/04/21 at 2:34 pm

David Hasselhoff liven up the 1990s!

Written By: Contigo on 10/04/21 at 2:43 pm

Personally, I found the 90s to be the most boring decade ever

After the great music from the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s.... the 90s music was absolutely awful in comparison, it seemed like all the musical talent died in the late 1980s.
Same for the TV shows, to me the 90s Tv shows were simply awful compared to the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s. Again it felt like all the talent died in the 80s.

The 2000s and 2010s werent any better. It feels like pop culture was been walking for 30 years in the dark with nothing good happening. 

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/04/21 at 2:43 pm

This is true. I remember the 60s and 70s nostalgia of the 90s. They brought back fads and music and TV shows from the 60s and 70s. It is how I became familiar with some classic TV shows and music.

No, I am not talking about "nostalgia".  It wasn't "nostalgia" the way people throw that word around on this site. These were still people with ongoing careers, like Neil Young and Bob Dylan. They floundered in the 80s because there was kind of no place for them, but regained their footing in the 90s when things got cool again. They never lost their audience, or their relevance, so their strong showing in the 90s was not "nostalgia". It was more like the world coming back to it's senses after the ditzy 80s. Even Joni Mitchell who had made a string of criticized synthesizer albums in the 80s regained her footing and made an album, "Turbulent Indigo" that won "album of the year" at the Grammys in 1995. Dylan swept the Grammys (including "album of the year") with "Time Out of Mind" in 1998. No indeed, it was not "nostalgia". It was still an ongoing thrust. That's the way the 20th Century was. All of this cyclical nostalgia business came with the 21st Century.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/04/21 at 2:48 pm

No, I am not talking about "nostalgia".  It wasn't "nostalgia" the way people throw that word around on this site. These were still people with ongoing careers, like Neil Young and Bob Dylan. They floundered in the 80s because there was kind of no place for them, but regained their footing in the 90s when things got cool again. They never lost their audience, or their relevance, so their strong showing in the 90s was not "nostalgia". It was more like the world coming back to it's senses after the ditzy 80s. Even Joni Mitchell who had made a string of criticized synthesizer albums in the 80s regained her footing and made an album, "Turbulent Indigo" that won "album of the year" at the Grammys in 1995. Dylan swept the Grammys (including "album of the year") with "Time Out of Mind" in 1998. No indeed, it was not "nostalgia". It was still an ongoing thrust. That's the way the 20th Century was. All of this cyclical nostalgia business came with the 21st Century.

Oh yes I almost forgot about that! Many artists from the 60s and 70s were just as popular in the 90s. They were still making music/songs throughout the 90s decade.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/05/21 at 2:03 pm

I liked the 90s. They were such a relief after the 80s. Things were earthy again, and less phony, frivolous, plastic and pastel than the insipidly uninspired 80s. Also, in the 80s all things 60s and 70s were held in scorn, but that was not the case in the 90s when things of the 60s and 70s were now dubbed "classic" or "timeless". Great musical artists of the 1960s who had floundered to find a place in the synthesizer and MTV 80s now were able to return to their classic selves and be appreciated for it. And they were.

This topic seems familiar. Didn't we do one almost exactly like it before?

Did it feel weird not hearing '80s synths anymore?

Written By: Slim95 on 10/05/21 at 2:04 pm

Oh yes I almost forgot about that! Many artists from the 60s and 70s were just as popular in the 90s. They were still making music/songs throughout the 90s decade.

Like who?  ??? The Beatles and Abba did not return in the '90s.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/05/21 at 2:13 pm

Like who?  ??? The Beetles and Abba did not return in the '90s.
How do you account for "Free as a Bird" the single released in December 1995 by the Beatles.

The song was originally written and recorded in 1977 as a home demo by John Lennon, a former Beatle. In 1995, 25 years after their break-up and 15 years after Lennon's death, his surviving bandmates Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr released a studio version incorporating the demo.

Also, the individual members of ABBA had successful solo careers.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/05/21 at 2:14 pm

How do you account for "Free as a Bird" the single released in December 1995 by the Beatles.

The song was originally written and recorded in 1977 as a home demo by John Lennon, a former Beatle. In 1995, 25 years after their break-up and 15 years after Lennon's death, his surviving bandmates Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr released a studio version incorporating the demo.

That doesn't really count though..

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/05/21 at 2:19 pm

That doesn't really count though..
It peaked at No. 2 on the UK Singles Chart and No. 6 on the US Billboard Hot 100. It also became a top-ten hit in at least 10 other countries, including Australia, Canada, Hungary and Sweden. It won the 1997 Grammy Award for Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal and was the Beatles' 34th top-ten single in the United States, meaning they had at least one top-forty hit in four different decades.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/05/21 at 2:19 pm

Like who?  ??? The Beetles and Abba did not return in the '90s.

You made a typo. You mean Beatles. Many 1960s artists who still had strong careers in the 70s, all made "missteps" in the 80s, attempting to remain "current" with the silly 80s synth sound. Among them Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell and Neil Young. Even Paul McCartney and the Rolling Stones were on shaky ground for a while. None of these people were "washed up" in the 80s and for the most part they remained strong concert draws. They were just "lost" in the struggle of how to fit in. These were artists who always had "something to say" in their music, but the 80s audience didn't necessarily want to "hear". By the 90s things had come around again. Not "nostalgia" (keep in mind these people had never gone away) but the RECOGNITION of their validity. They no longer had to sprinkle 80s pixie dust on their art to try to sell records (or CDs) and were free to be truly themselves again. The 90s is the era when such artists went from being merely "current" to being "timeless" or "classic".

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/05/21 at 2:21 pm

Did it feel weird not hearing '80s synths anymore?

Not in the least, what an odd question.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/05/21 at 2:29 pm

It peaked at No. 2 on the UK Singles Chart and No. 6 on the US Billboard Hot 100. It also became a top-ten hit in at least 10 other countries, including Australia, Canada, Hungary and Sweden. It won the 1997 Grammy Award for Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal and was the Beatles' 34th top-ten single in the United States, meaning they had at least one top-forty hit in four different decades.

Wow one song and you're jumping for joy.  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/05/21 at 2:33 pm

Wow one song and you're jumping for joy.  ::)
The single was released as part of the promotion for The Beatles Anthology video documentary and the Anthology 1 compilation album. For the Anthology project, McCartney asked Lennon's widow Yoko Ono for unreleased material by Lennon to which the three remaining ex-Beatles could contribute.

Hence, enjoying the 1990s!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/05/21 at 3:36 pm

Personally, I found the 90s to be the most boring decade ever

After the great music from the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s.... the 90s music was absolutely awful in comparison, it seemed like all the musical talent died in the late 1980s.
Same for the TV shows, to me the 90s Tv shows were simply awful compared to the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s. Again it felt like all the talent died in the 80s.

The 2000s and 2010s werent any better. It feels like pop culture was been walking for 30 years in the dark with nothing good happening.

The 90's was a fun decade for me, not boring.  But that's in spite of my disdain for most 90's pop culture besides CCM (music, TV).  The decade was terrific because I had friends and was 30-something and had an active, fun life (single until '98, but loving life regardless).  Music-wise, I was into music from 50's thru 80's (mostly 60's/70's), besides CCM (which was current at the time) and I went to a number of CCM concerts then, along with certain "oldies" artist concerts.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/05/21 at 3:47 pm

The 90's was a fun decade for me, not boring.  But that's in spite of my disdain for most 90's pop culture besides CCM (music, TV).  The decade was terrific because I had friends and was 30-something and had an active, fun life (single until '98, but loving life regardless).  Music-wise, I was into music from 50's thru 80's (mostly 60's/70's), besides CCM (which was current at the time) and I went to a number of CCM concerts then, along with certain "oldies" artist concerts.

Since you mention CCM (contemporary Christian Music I presume) did you like Bob Dylan's 1979 "Slow Train Coming" album of overt Christian songs?  It flipped his fans out big time (so much for being open minded) but I thought it was a fantastic album, Christian or otherwise. And it did generate a hit "Gotta Serve Somebody". Mark Knopfler also played lead guitar throughout the album.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/05/21 at 3:54 pm

Since you mention CCM (contemporary Christian Music I presume) did you like Bob Dylan's 1979 "Slow Train Coming" album of overt Christian songs?  It flipped his fans out big time (so much for being open minded) but I thought it was a fantastic album, Christian or otherwise. And it did generate a hit "Gotta Serve Somebody". Mark Knopfler also played lead guitar throughout the album.

Interesting question.  My answer is no for the reason that I had zero interest in CCM until the very late 1980s (1988-ish).  Now that you mention it, I'd be interested in hearing the album.  I do like "Gotta Serve Somebody".  The Mark Knopfler angle certainly adds interest, too.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/05/21 at 4:15 pm

Interesting question.  My answer is no for the reason that I had zero interest in CCM until the very late 1980s (1988-ish).  Now that you mention it, I'd be interested in hearing the album.  I do like "Gotta Serve Somebody".  The Mark Knopfler angle certainly adds interest, too.

It's a great album. Produced by Jerry Wexler in Muscle Shoals, so you know it's soulful. It's on Spotify if you want to listen. My favorite song is "Precious Angel". The studio version isn't on Youtube because Dylan keeps kind of tight control on that, so I can't put it here.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/05/21 at 4:34 pm

It's a great album. Produced by Jerry Wexler in Muscle Shoals, so you know it's soulful. It's on Spotify if you want to listen. My favorite song is "Precious Angel". The studio version isn't on Youtube because Dylan keeps kind of tight control on that, so I can't put it here.

O0 Thanks for that.  Dylan's "Slow Train Coming" is now on my radar...

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/05/21 at 9:31 pm

The 90's was a fun decade for me, not boring...  The decade was terrific because I had friends and was 30-something and had an active, fun life (single until '98, but loving life regardless)...

I want to re-emphasize what was so great to me about the 90's.  I had a rich social life!  Then, people didn't just "like" each others' Facebook pictures or post a TikTok video - we spent time with each other in person.  It was great!  There was no social distancing at the time, we didn't need it (unless someone got the flu).  Doing all kinds of things together that made life great.  Between friends from church, my workplace, neighbors, and some "friends" who were actually relatives, they kept me hopping throughout the decade, and it was great!  It made being a 30-something amazing.  :)

Of course, I got married in the late 90's.  But that was "fun", too!

Written By: Howard on 10/06/21 at 4:40 am

Like who?  ??? The Beatles and Abba did not return in the '90s.

But both groups did tour a lot or went on to make some solo careers.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/21 at 6:42 am

But both groups did tour a lot or went on to make some solo careers.
As in group form, The Beatles last performance live to an audience was in 1966 at Candlestick Park in San Francisco, California, with the impromptu rooftop performance in 1969, and, to date, ABBA's last performance was an reunion concert 2016.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/06/21 at 9:44 pm

In the 90's, the internet was in its infancy, there were no smart phones (some early model "dumb" mobile phones were around), personal computers were not in every home, and social media did not exist (or barely existed).

In spite of all that, the times felt very modern during the 90's (I can probably say that about every decade I've lived through, this being decade #7 for me).

Written By: Howard on 10/07/21 at 4:41 am

In the 90's, the internet was in its infancy, there were no smart phones (some early model "dumb" mobile phones were around), personal computers were not in every home, and social media did not exist (or barely existed).

In spite of all that, the times felt very modern during the 90's (I can probably say that about every decade I've lived through, this being decade #7 for me).

The decade did have some interesting moments.

Written By: 90s Guy on 10/07/21 at 10:29 am

Or it could be that in the 90s, a lot of the busy Boomers who were in their 30s and 40s in the 1980s were now settled in life and thus willing to revisit old things + younge people in their 20s and 30s being nostalgic for the decade their parents' grew up - "The mythical 60s." I doubt the entirety of a 1995 Bob Dylan concert audience was above 40. It was nostalgia on Boomers' parts for their youth, albeit in a reinvented and corporate way - a streamlined safe way - and for the younger generation to experience something 'meaningful' from the now idealized 60s.

Written By: ac01c9e17 on 10/15/21 at 3:08 pm

Of course not!

Check for new replies or respond here...