inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was 1995 a boring year?

Written By: 90s Guy on 12/16/21 at 1:14 pm

I feel like it was sort of a nothing year.

Subject: Re: Was 1995 a boring year?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/16/21 at 8:26 pm

Not sure of your context when you mention "boring year".  To me, it wasn't boring at all.

There was plenty of interesting stuff in the news.  It was the year of the Oklahoma City bombing domestic terrorism event, the Bosnia conflict was hot and heavy then, and who can forget the outlandish O.J. Simpson trial?  None of that was "boring" to me.

I wasn't tuned into pop culture much then, if that is the context you mean.  So if you refer to the TV shows and music of 1995, I don't really have an opinion.  Except the Beatles came out with their 3-disc Anthology then.  That was clearly not boring.  :D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/16/21 at 8:45 pm

I feel like it was sort of a nothing year.

For a "nothing year" a heck of a lot happened.

The Oklahoma City bombing

The OJ Trial, one of the most galvanizing trials in American history

The Mexican bailout

Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin was assassinated

Major League Baseball (MLB) players ended a 232-day strike

Sony released its first PlayStation video game console in the US. Means nothing to me, but I notice there are a handful of people here who are into gaming.

Oh, and a little thing called the internet went mainstream in the year of 1995.

As such, 1995 saw the launch of  eBay, craigslist and Match.com, among others.

Not to bad for a "nothing" year.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 12/17/21 at 4:38 am

I wouldn't think so, since Yoshi's Island came out that year. Even though I wouldn't play it myself until 9 years later, when I was a 5-year-old. It was, I feel, a remarkable game. Definitely an integral part of my childhood.

Written By: Emman on 12/17/21 at 12:09 pm

When I think back on 1995 it seemed like the quintessential '90s year.

Written By: RLStern on 12/17/21 at 1:41 pm

For a "nothing year" a heck of a lot happened.

The Oklahoma City bombing

The OJ Trial, one of the most galvanizing trials in American history

The Mexican bailout

Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin was assassinated

Major League Baseball (MLB) players ended a 232-day strike

Sony released its first PlayStation video game console in the US. Means nothing to me, but I notice there are a handful of people here who are into gaming.

Oh, and a little thing called the internet went mainstream in the year of 1995.

As such, 1995 saw the launch of  eBay, craigslist and Match.com, among others.

Not to bad for a "nothing" year.

Internet, websites and PS1 didn't get big until late 90's. it wasn't ubiquitous yet nor mainstream.

Even cellular phones were rare until 96/97.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/17/21 at 1:54 pm

Internet, websites and PS1 didn't get big until late 90's. it wasn't ubiquitous yet nor mainstream.

Even cellular phones were rare until 96/97.

But they EXISTED, making 1995 more important, or more notable at least, than years they did not exist. I was first online in 1996.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/17/21 at 5:06 pm

I did my student teaching in 1995 in my senior year of college.

That was also the year that Carlos' boat sank-for the second time.  :o :o  I wasn't there for the first time but I was for the second time. What had happened, was the cable to the keel broke. So, it was about 600 pounds just swinging. We had great sailing that day but little did we know that keel kept knocking into the hull. We noticed the water coming in shortly before getting to the marina. Unfortunately, we got to the marina about 10 minutes AFTER it closed. We hunkered down at the dock for the night-taking turns bailing. It was a rough night. The wind was kicking, the boat was pitching and finally that keel really nailed the hull and we figured it was time to abandon ship. Carlos fired up the engine and beached her. We camped out on the marina's doorstep and that was where they found us when they opened up. The marina people treated us crappy but the other boaters were great. But, they were able to get the boat out of the water and into the shop to be repaired and we were able to find a ride home. I sat on a folding chair in the back of a van. I held on to passenger seat where Carlos was sitting for dear life. When we got home, I told him, "You really know how to show a girl a good time."

After the boat was repaired and back on the water, we dubbed her "The Molly Brown" as in the UNSINKABLE Molly Brown.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/17/21 at 5:41 pm

I did my student teaching in 1995 in my senior year of college.

That was also the year that Carlos' boat sank-for the second time.  :o :o  I wasn't there for the first time but I was for the second time. What had happened, was the cable to the keel broke. So, it was about 600 pounds just swinging. We had great sailing that day but little did we know that keel kept knocking into the hull. We noticed the water coming in shortly before getting to the marina. Unfortunately, we got to the marina about 10 minutes AFTER it closed. We hunkered down at the dock for the night-taking turns bailing. It was a rough night. The wind was kicking, the boat was pitching and finally that keel really nailed the hull and we figured it was time to abandon ship. Carlos fired up the engine and beached her. We camped out on the marina's doorstep and that was where they found us when they opened up. The marina people treated us crappy but the other boaters were great. But, they were able to get the boat out of the water and into the shop to be repaired and we were able to find a ride home. I sat on a folding chair in the back of a van. I held on to passenger seat where Carlos was sitting for dear life. When we got home, I told him, "You really know how to show a girl a good time."

After the boat was repaired and back on the water, we dubbed her "The Molly Brown" as in the UNSINKABLE Molly Brown.

Cat

WOW, what a story!  :o  There are a lot of words to describe this episode - but not "boring"!

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 12/17/21 at 7:52 pm

In my view 1995 was actually one of the more tumultuous years in a (relatively) quiet decade (I mean, "quiet" compared to the decades that followed or preceded it, like the 1960s or 2000s or 2020s).  Other contenders would include 1992 and 1999.

In addition to what other posters have mentioned already:

Great Hanshin Earthquake

You have the showdown between the Republican Congress (first since the 1950s) and Democrat Bill Clinton, resulting in a government shutdown in the fall.  (It was during this shutdown that Bill had his affair with Monica.)  I know these government shutdowns and near-defaults on the national debt happen all the time now, but back then this was considered a really big deal.

Tokyo Subway poison gas attacks, including a thwarted attack on Disneyland.

Operation Bojinka, also thwarted (precursor to 9/11).

On the technology side, we had the debut of Windows 95 and AltaVista.  AltaVista was the world's first useful internet search engine.  In some ways, it was functionally superior to Google.  You could do boolean searches and use fuzzy logic, live topics (relational maps between ideas --- and here you thought Google's "Related Searches" was a cool new feature).

Even on the cultural side, 1995 was really the first year that felt "different" to me.  The 1980s fashions and hairstyles were finally disappearing.

Written By: Howard on 12/18/21 at 6:36 am

But they EXISTED, making 1995 more important, or more notable at least, than years they did not exist. I was first online in 1996.

Same here, Our Family's first time using the internet was around that year.

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/22/21 at 1:17 pm

I wouldn't say 1995 was boring but it felt like 1994, 1995, and even part of 1996 all kind of ran together, like it was hard to distinguish between one year and the next.

Written By: RLStern on 11/14/22 at 10:53 am

That's you, I'm gonna assume you were of a higher income household.

The internet existed since at least the early 90s, but people didn't really know or hear if it until the mid-late 90s, then it didn't become standard until after 2000.

I didn't have dial up until September-November 2000.(I forget exactly when but that's when I transitioned from having MS-DOS & got a Windows Millenium desktop w/ dial up)

And even then the internet was far limited until 2002ish.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/14/22 at 3:14 pm

In 1995 I bought my second new car, a Saab 900S.  Like pictured, same color/model.  Not boring at all - I loved that car!  :)

https://img.drivemag.net/jato_car_photos/SAAB%2F900%2Fhatchback%2F5%2F1995%2Fexterior-photos%2Fo%2Fsaab-900-hatchback-5-doors-1995-model-exterior-photos-3.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...