inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: what year did digital replace analogue in mass media?

Written By: pucketbenson on 03/24/22 at 6:38 pm

1990. still in apologue. 1991 still in analogue. 1992. still in analogue. 1993, everything suddenly switched to digital. this is the perception I get from observing media from those years. movies that came out in 1990-1992 seem to still be in analogue. 1993 appears to be when digital sound quality replaced analogue in mass media . are there any pre-1993 examples of media in analogue(movies, tv, news broadcast ect) ?

Subject: Re: what year did digital replace analogue in mass media?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/24/22 at 7:38 pm

Sorry, but this isn't correct. Compact discs, a digital optical disc data storage format, were first manufactured in 1982 and by 1985-1986 they were selling like hotcakes, eclipsing the vinyl album, an analog format. Believe me I remember clearly because I loved albums and hated to see them usurped by the harsher sounding CD. Analog is by far warmer sounding. By far.

In 1988 CD sales surpassed vinyl LPs, and by 1989 they also outsold cassette tapes, also an analog format, thus becoming the most popular audio format.

Check for new replies or respond here...