inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Woodstock 99 doc on HBO took a dump on Gen Y

Written By: Starro23 on 06/10/22 at 2:16 am

Anyone else watch this  ? A ton of stuff they got right  but a ton of stuff they got wrong. Aside from the misogyny and "frat boy" mentality
that was rising, it seemed a ton of the documentary was  Gen X people complaining about gen Y teen pop acts taking over. Literally even
had clips of Britney and Backstreet on TRL multiple times to throw jabs at  gen y.  No doubt Nu metal was like an alternative at the time
but lets not act how over Teen pop was in 99. Hardly anyone in the doc was gen Y, the doc was mostly of Korn,Moby, the Founder of Woodstock
and Boomer & Gen X people. A good 50% of the movie was sh*tting on Gen Y pop culture.

Having said that Woodstock 99 was a failure, I do remember seeing it on the news @ the time and smh.  So many people got raped
so many assaults, so many things got broken it was terrible.

this tweets I found online pretty much sums it up

https://twitter.com/DadsHugeAss/status/1418996246744903681?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1418996246744903681%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fpopedia.boards.net%2Fthread%2F5125%2Fwoodstock-doc-hbo-dump-gen

Subject: Re: Woodstock 99 doc on HBO took a dump on Gen Y

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/10/22 at 5:40 am

I knew someone who worked at it as a vendor. He said it was awful. Didn't have the "peace & love" vibe as the first. It was all about making money.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/10/22 at 9:19 am

The so-called "Woodstock" 1999 was a disaster from the get go. It was rampant with violence, profiteering and stupidity. The real Woodstock in 1969, the beautiful one, was essentially a series of accidents, and a series of accidents cannot be recreated.

While we are on the subject, if you want evidence of the obesity epidemic that has plagued the United States since the 1990s, look at any photo from the real Woodstock in 1969. Literally a half a million people, many in various stages of undress, and barely an ounce of body fat among them. If you go to a a large festival or a sporting event today, you cannot say the same. What changed?

Disclaimer: I don't say this as "fat shaming" but as a strict sociological observation.

Woodstock 1969

https://qph.cf2.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-3b840cf5a41c7c721ae4c1befc91d2e1-lq

Written By: Howard on 06/10/22 at 2:50 pm

The so-called "Woodstock" 1999 was a disaster from the get go. It was rampant with violence, profiteering and stupidity. The real Woodstock in 1969, the beautiful one, was essentially a series of accidents, and a series of accidents cannot be recreated.

While we are on the subject, if you want evidence of the obesity epidemic that has plagued the United States since the 1990s, look at any photo from the real Woodstock in 1969. Literally a half a million people, many in various stages of undress, and barely an ounce of body fat among them. If you go to a a large festival or a sporting event today, you cannot say the same. What changed?

Disclaimer: I don't say this as "fat shaming" but as a strict sociological observation.

Woodstock 1969

https://qph.cf2.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-3b840cf5a41c7c721ae4c1befc91d2e1-lq

You want to know what changed? We're eating more carbs and things with high sodium or sugar content in them.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/10/22 at 5:21 pm

You want to know what changed? We're eating more carbs and things with high sodium or sugar content in them.

That is part of it. Most of that comes from processed foods. Processed foods are quick & easy but they are loaded with sodium & sugar. When I lived alone, I used to live on microwave meals. Now that I have a "personal chef" I think I might have had one of those meals and though, "Oh man. How did I EVER eat this crap?" Just can't stomach them anymore.

Another thing about processed foods is that they are cheaper than "real" food. A bag of chips is much cheaper than fruit. If you are trying to stretch your food dollars-what are you going to get? Probably some cheap processed food rather than more expensive healthy food. 

Food is only part of the equation. Most people are more sedentary these days. Video games, computers, smart phones, etc. People are looking at screens all day. In 1969, more people got out and DID things. I don't know how often kids play outside. They are usually inside looking at screens.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 06/11/22 at 3:26 am

That is part of it. Most of that comes from processed foods. Processed foods are quick & easy but they are loaded with sodium & sugar. When I lived alone, I used to live on microwave meals. Now that I have a "personal chef" I think I might have had one of those meals and though, "Oh man. How did I EVER eat this crap?" Just can't stomach them anymore.

Another thing about processed foods is that they are cheaper than "real" food. A bag of chips is much cheaper than fruit. If you are trying to stretch your food dollars-what are you going to get? Probably some cheap processed food rather than more expensive healthy food. 

Food is only part of the equation. Most people are more sedentary these days. Video games, computers, smart phones, etc. People are looking at screens all day. In 1969, more people got out and DID things. I don't know how often kids play outside. They are usually inside looking at screens.

Cat

Now with technology, kids have a reason to be sedentary, you have people 50 years ago being health conscious about their weight compared to today. You could bring a smartphone to 1969 and people wouldn't know what that is. 

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 06/11/22 at 8:48 am

Anyone else watch this  ? A ton of stuff they got right  but a ton of stuff they got wrong. Aside from the misogyny and "frat boy" mentality
that was rising, it seemed a ton of the documentary was  Gen X people complaining about gen Y teen pop acts taking over. Literally even
had clips of Britney and Backstreet on TRL multiple times to throw jabs at  gen y.  No doubt Nu metal was like an alternative at the time
but lets not act how over Teen pop was in 99. Hardly anyone in the doc was gen Y, the doc was mostly of Korn,Moby, the Founder of Woodstock
and Boomer & Gen X people. A good 50% of the movie was sh*tting on Gen Y pop culture.

Well, this is strange, because the trailer gives a rather different impression about the movie.  The insinuation seems to be that this is all somehow connected to the rise of President Trump, MGTOW, incels, January 6th and all that sort of thing.

The impression I got from the trailer is that they're sh*tting on Generation X, or at least pinning the chaos on the Gen X acts.

h62RmIsx6MA

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 06/11/22 at 9:04 am

RE: obesity

Some other factors:

The rise of pedestrian unfriendly city streets and suburbs.  Everything is optimized for the car and everybody treats pedestrians as a damn nuisance.

High fructose corn syrup.  It's in everything nowadays.  The calories are the same as sucrose or dextrose, but I read somewhere that the fructose is particularly addictive.  That's not a figure of speech.  Literally addictive, like alcohol.

Digestive health.  There's increasing research that gut flora has an impact on one's ability to lose weight.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/11/22 at 9:56 am

Another thing. People in the 60s and 70s would be considered "skinny" by today's standards. There was not a lot, or any really, of "going top the gym", or "working out" in the way it is known today. As mentioned on this thread, people were naturally thin because of a less destructive diet than today, and because they got natural excursive by being out and around. People that "went to the gym" were something of a separate category back then. Like early Arnold Schwarzenegger "bodybuilder" types.

1970 Goose Lake Festival:

https://www.mlive.com/resizer/LjYWCRjjWjlcCJATr5KZEIm4BpI=/800x0/smart/advancelocal-adapter-image-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/image.mlive.com/home/mlive-media/width2048/img/citizenpatriot/photo/2015/08/05/18480913-large.jpg

2014 Harvest Music Festival, Las Vegas:

This crew would seem to be gym-goers yet somehow still look "fleshy".

https://www.reviewjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/web1_harvest-oct05-14-001_2.jpg?w=640

Written By: JacobThePlante on 06/13/22 at 1:21 am

2 main factors I think: The overly processed & mass distributed food & sedentary lifestyles. I feel like people were more good looking in the past, but nowadays people are better at making themselves look good

Written By: Howard on 06/13/22 at 3:26 am

2 main factors I think: The overly processed & mass distributed food & sedentary lifestyles. I feel like people were more good looking in the past, but nowadays people are better at making themselves look good

Today, you see a lot of commercials about for people looking good or trying to look good with those anti-aging creams.

Subject: Woodstock 99 doc on HBO took a dump on Gen Y

Written By: Dude111 on 06/23/22 at 1:33 pm

I knew someone who worked at it as a vendor. He said it was awful. Didn't have the "peace & love" vibe as the first. It was all about making money.

Ya disgusting..... The one in 1994 was good also but yes the 99 one sucked pond water!!

Check for new replies or respond here...