inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Nintendo's " PLAY IT LOUD ! " extreme mid 90s era

Written By: Starro23 on 06/10/22 at 11:39 am

For those of you who may remember or need a refresher,Facing intense competition from Sega, Nintendo decided to alter the trajectory of its marketing
and pitch a new image to the public. The Play It Loud! campaign marked a departure from traditional marketing practice by Nintendo. Instead of focusing
on one particular console or game, it promoted a particular corporate image that was aimed at teenagers and young adults. This is around the time Donkey
Kong Country dropped and hoards of people moved to the SNES. Commercials aired on tv using grunge songs and Nintendo attempted to be PG 13 lol

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/ca/d9/fc/cad9fc61ba827808ac40ede91f5dab63.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21paFGwsjro&feature=emb_title

The campaign came to a screeching halt when n64 dropped and Nintendo went back to being a family company.

Subject: Re: Nintendo's " PLAY IT LOUD ! " extreme mid 90s era

Written By: JacobThePlante on 06/18/22 at 6:22 pm

the 90's was all about being cool

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/18/22 at 6:36 pm

the 90's was all about being cool

So was every other decade. Elvis, Marlon Brando and James Dean from the 50s are still held up as archetypes of cool to this very day.  In the 60s, not only were people cool, they were HIP to boot. The 70s carried this on. It was in the 80s that the coolness factor went down to zero and things were more contrived. Mall culture? I don't think anybody looks back on that as particularly cool now. I mean they may look back fondly (i.e. "nostalgia") but hat's not the same as cool, now is it?

Written By: JacobThePlante on 06/19/22 at 5:03 am

So was every other decade. Elvis, Marlon Brando and James Dean from the 50s are still held up as archetypes of cool to this very day.  In the 60s, not only were people cool, they were HIP to boot. The 70s carried this on. It was in the 80s that the coolness factor went down to zero and things were more contrived. Mall culture? I don't think anybody looks back on that as particularly cool now. I mean they may look back fondly (i.e. "nostalgia") but hat's not the same as cool, now is it?

well I feel like the 90's was the most blunt about it's constant desire to be "cool" which in retrospect makes a lot of the culture from the decade very cheesy

Written By: humaeast on 07/19/22 at 2:37 pm

Yoshi's Island and EarthBound had ads that made sure the US releases flopped. Tetris Blast, a relatively obscure Game Boy title, had a commercial that pretty much was an excerpt from an untold X-Men episode. It amazes me.

Check for new replies or respond here...