inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How many people still watched TV with an antenna in the 90s?

Written By: inconscious on 10/27/22 at 11:09 pm

I'm just kinda curious about this because it was another random thought in my mind.

I know when I was a little kid living in my grandma's old house (she doesn't live there anymore), I used to watch stuff on a TV with rabbit ears (this was during 2006-2007, I think).

The TV looked something like this:

https://i0.wp.com/visions4netjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/journal/Sony-KV-1214-4-525-WP.jpg

Any memories to share?

Subject: Re: How many people still watched TV with an antenna in the 90s?

Written By: nally on 10/29/22 at 11:01 am

I did. But the antenna wasn’t actually built in. It was a set of “rabbit ears” that we would need to adjust in order to get good reception on the channels. (My household didn’t subscribe to cable when I was growing up.)

Written By: Howard on 10/29/22 at 2:19 pm

I'm just kinda curious about this because it was another random thought in my mind.

I know when I was a little kid living in my grandma's old house (she doesn't live there anymore), I used to watch stuff on a TV with rabbit ears (this was during 2006-2007, I think).

The TV looked something like this:

https://i0.wp.com/visions4netjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/journal/Sony-KV-1214-4-525-WP.jpg

Any memories to share?

Back during The 80's having one of those TV's with rabbit ears was the thing to have in the house for the family to watch in the living room. I hated rabbit ears cause it's the switching to try to get good reception and if you did, you were lucky.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/01/22 at 8:31 am

I did, for about the first half of it. I've even put aluminum foil on the antenna tips to try to improve the signal, and kept having to manually adjust them. But I mostly used that TV top play my Sega Genesis (and Nintendo in the early 90's) or watch movies on VHS.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/01/22 at 2:15 pm

In 1990, I moved up to a mountain that cable didn't go. I had an antenna that picked up 1/2 a channel. It was VERY snowy but I could hear it but watching wasn't great. I was lucky that that one channel had my soap (One Life To Live). At least I could follow what was going on. Then in 1992, I moved across state into an apartment that I was able to get cable. I felt like I was moving into civilization-not just because of the cable but the apartment was on a paved road and there were quite a few neighbors unlike on the mountain.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/01/22 at 3:36 pm

I did, for about the first half of it. I've even put aluminum foil on the antenna tips to try to improve the signal, and kept having to manually adjust them. But I mostly used that TV top play my Sega Genesis (and Nintendo in the early 90's) or watch movies on VHS.

And I bet you had to move around the room to try to get a good reception?

Check for new replies or respond here...