inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Defining the ’90s Music Canon

Written By: aja675 on 11/26/22 at 9:25 pm

https://pudding.cool/2020/07/song-decay/

Subject: Re: Defining the ’90s Music Canon

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/29/22 at 8:10 pm

As Classic Hits radio stations move their focus from the '70s/'80s to the '90s, this provides a good hint at what the playlist will comprise of. Since many stations have focus groups regarding song recognition the songs ranked near the top will have tons of spins, while those near the bottom are remained destined to be "lost hits"- those that people born just before after release will never relate to, but those who were around could view them as a pleasant nostalgic flashback. This really is one of the best lists of "lost factor" that I've come across that beats those Radio Insight threads. As it turns out, the top ten songs of the '90s (Billboard #5 hits or higher) are the following:

1. Britney Spears- ...Baby One More Time
2. Celine Dion- My Heart Will Go On
3. Spice Girls- Wannabe
4. Lou Bega- Mambo No. 5
5. Cher- Believe
6. Smash Mouth- All Star
7. Los Del Rio- Macarena
8. Backstreet Boys- Everybody
9. Snap!- The Power
10. R. Kelly- I Believe I Can Fly

These rankings are based on surveys by Millenials and Generation Z, whether a user can recognize the song or not, with 100 meaning perfectly recognizable. The two scores are added up, and if there's a tie, the highest Gen Z score gets the priority.

Meanwhile, the top ten most "forgotten" songs of the '90s, using the same scoring method, are ranked as the following:

1. PM Dawn- I'd Die Without You
2. Knockin' Da Boots- H-Town
3. Taylor Dayne- Love Will Lead You Back
4. Changing Faces- Stroke You Up
5. Tara Kemp- Hold You Tight
6. Sweet Sensation- If Wishes Came True
7. Tracie Spencer- This House
T8. Gloria Estefan- Coming Out Of The Dark
T8. Jesus Jones- Real, Real, Real
T10. Extreme- Hole Hearted
T10. Janet Jackson- And On And On

Another surprise is that Billboard's Top Artist of the Decade, Mariah Carey, places way down at #76 for Gen Z recognition with Always Be My Baby. This is despite contemporaries Celine Dion and Whitney Houston having multiple songs higher up in recognition, including Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" being the most recognizable song of the '90s for Gen Z. Even grandma figure Cher scores a 90% among Gen Z with Believe. You can already hear many of those top ten songs on classic hits stations today, and as that format starts to whittle away at its remaining '70s as well as some '80s titles, you'll likely see more songs in the top quarter to third of this list to reach radio stations.

Written By: Ripley on 11/30/22 at 4:19 pm

Our local “Oldies” station was 50’s music for as long as I can remember. Then within the last couple years it flipped to 80’s and 90’s. So what I grew up with is now “old”! 😫😂

Written By: Howard on 12/01/22 at 3:01 am

Our local “Oldies” station was 50’s music for as long as I can remember. Then within the last couple years it flipped to 80’s and 90’s. So what I grew up with is now “old”! 😫😂

My oldies station where I live used to play the vintage oldies till it stopped and played more 80's and early 90's.

Check for new replies or respond here...