inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What do you remember about 1991?

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/01/23 at 2:43 pm

Not sure if this thread has been done, but what comes to your mind when you think about 1991? I remember it as being a very dynamic year for music. Not only the birth of grunge with Nirvana's Nevermind album, but it was also the peak of New Jack Swing and Euro Dance, as well as buzz ballads.

Here are two videos that scream "1991":

LaTGrV58wec

Y0pdQU87dc8

Also the movie "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" which this song featured.

Subject: Re: What do you remember about 1991?

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/05/23 at 1:01 pm

It was arguably the peak ballyhoo of Classic Nickelodeon. In fact, the YouTube series Nick Knacks is about to move into 1991 with the it's next episode, covering Salute Your Shorts. I was absolutely glued to Nick that year after my parents finally got cable in late 1990.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/06/23 at 8:47 am

It was arguably the peak ballyhoo of Classic Nickelodeon. In fact, the YouTube series Nick Knacks is about to move into 1991 with the it's next episode, covering Salute Your Shorts. I was absolutely glued to Nick that year after my parents finally got cable in late 1990.

Yes, I remember Salute Your Shorts along with some other Nick shows around that time like Welcome Freshman (which was kind of like Saved by the Bell), Adventures of Pete & Pete, Are You Afraid of the Dark, and Ren & Stimpy.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/06/23 at 9:02 am

Yes, I remember Salute Your Shorts along with some other Nick shows around that time like Welcome Freshman (which was kind of like Saved by the Bell), Adventures of Pete & Pete, Are You Afraid of the Dark, and Ren & Stimpy.

Adventures of Pete & Pete was head and shoulders above anything Nickelodeon ever did before or since. It put all their other programming to shame.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/22/23 at 4:43 pm

Here is one song I remember being played on the radio but forgotten since then. It's super catchy.

R4TfRNJ3U-M

Written By: whistledog on 01/30/23 at 6:56 am

Life is A Highway by Tom Cochrane was a #1 hit and peaked at #5 on the 1991 Year End Chart in Canada. 

The next year, this song would cross the border where it peaked at #6 in the US, but I will always know it from 1991.  At the time of the recording, Tom was 37 years old, and when this song was released, there were many people who thought it was his debut song, when in fact it was the 18th hit of his career and it would not be his last

U3sMjm9Eloo

Written By: fusefan on 02/01/23 at 11:28 am

Adventures of Pete & Pete was head and shoulders above anything Nickelodeon ever did before or since. It put all their other programming to shame.

Pete & Pete was good but they had some great gameshows too. The other shows were made for millennials when we were young.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/01/23 at 12:07 pm

...also the movie "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" which this song featured.
One film I never got to see on the cinema screen, I was to busy with work duties at that time. But I can certainly remember the Bryan Adams song, it drove us insane "(Everything I Do) I Do It for You" had the longest unbroken run at number one, spending sixteen consecutive weeks at the top of the UK Singles Chart.

Written By: Howard on 02/01/23 at 2:14 pm

Pete & Pete was good but they had some great gameshows too. The other shows were made for millennials when we were young.

Like The game show Double Dare?

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/15/23 at 7:30 am

I just watched this yesterday. It was a good movie.

pumf6m7d14w

Written By: fusefan on 02/21/23 at 10:28 am

Like The game show Double Dare?

I kinda take back what I said. Later Gen X liked those shows too.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/07/23 at 11:09 am

W6Mm8Sbe__o

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/17/23 at 9:56 am

Here's my data dump list of all the things I remember about 1991:

- Operation Desert Storm
- The Clarence Thomas/Anita Hill case
- The Pee-Wee Herman incident (this was particularly hilarious, especially at my age then)
- The Braves in the World Series and the Tomahawk Chop
- Music: Too much to list but in summary Nirvana and the beginning of grunge, Color Me Badd, Rico Suave, C+C Music Factory, KLF, Marky Mark, Right Said Fred's "I'm Too Sexy", EMF's "Unbelievable", Prince's Diamonds & Pearls album, Bryan Adams, Boyz II Men debut, Naughty by Nature's "O.P.P.", Michael Jackson's Dangerous album, Mariah Carey's "Emotions", Amy Grant's Heart in Motion album, R.E.M.'s Out of Time album, MC Hammer's "Too Legit 2 Quit" and "Addams Groove"
- Movies: Also a lot to list but Terminator 2: Judgement Day, Robin Hood: The Prince of Thieves, New Jack City, Boyz N The Hood, Silence of the Lambs, Point Break, Thelma & Louise, King Ralph, TMNT II: The Secret of the Ooze, Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey, Problem Child 2, Drop Dead Fred
- TV: 90210 (even though it technically premiered in 1990), the TGIF line-up including Family Matters and Blossom, Ren & Stimpy and the other Nickelodeon shows mentioned earlier (including Clarissa Explains it All, forgot about that one)
- Gaming: Super Nintendo/Super Mario World and Sonic the Hedgehog on Sega Genesis

That's all I can think of for now.

Written By: Howard on 03/17/23 at 3:10 pm

Here's my data dump list of all the things I remember about 1991:

- Operation Desert Storm
- The Clarence Thomas/Anita Hill case
- The Pee-Wee Herman incident (this was particularly hilarious, especially at my age then)
- Music: Too much to list but in summary Nirvana and the beginning of grunge, Color Me Badd, Rico Suave, C+C Music Factory, KLF, Marky Mark, Right Said Fred's "I'm Too Sexy", EMF's "Unbelievable", Prince's Diamonds & Pearls album, Bryan Adams, Boyz II Men debut, Naughty by Nature's "O.P.P.", Michael Jackson's Dangerous album, Mariah Carey's "Emotions", Amy Grant's Heart in Motion album, R.E.M.'s Out of Time album, MC Hammer's "Too Legit 2 Quit" and "Addams Groove"
- Movies: Also a lot to list but Terminator 2: Judgement Day, Robin Hood: The Prince of Thieves, New Jack City, Boyz N The Hood, Silence of the Lambs, Point Break, Thelma & Louise, King Ralph, TMNT II: The Secret of the Ooze, Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey, Problem Child 2, Drop Dead Fred
- TV: 90210 (even though it technically premiered in 1990), the TGIF line-up including Family Matters and Blossom, Ren & Stimpy and the other Nickelodeon shows mentioned earlier (including Clarissa Explains it All, forgot about that one)
- Gaming: Super Nintendo/Super Mario World and Sonic the Hedgehog on Sega Genesis

That's all I can think of for now.

I remember this one, it's the one where he was arrested for playing with himself in a movie theater.  ::)  ;D

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/01/23 at 11:02 am

Hot Shots! is a movie I forgot about that came out that year. Also The Naked Gun 2 1/2.

Written By: Howard on 04/01/23 at 2:49 pm

Hot Shots! is a movie I forgot about that came out that year. Also The Naked Gun 2 1/2.

I believe I saw both of them.

Written By: nally on 04/03/23 at 11:16 pm

I remember watching a lot of TV, including kiddie programs. Even more so in the latter half of the year.

One ad shown during such programmes during the 1991-92 fiscal year stood out to me:
8sMBQvffBSo
(Yes, I know it says 1992 in the title bar, but I do remember first seeing this commercial on the airwaves in the fall months of 1991, when the product started to get popular.)
I remember having a major crush on this gal (from late 1991 into spring 1992), but I never told anyone about that.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 04/06/23 at 1:57 pm

I remember seeing Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves in the theater when my siblings and I were visiting our mother's adoptive mother in San Diego. An interesting summer it was, out there, since my mom and her adoptive mother didn't often get along well.

I remember grunge from 1992, after my family moved to Colorado.

Written By: nally on 05/11/23 at 11:49 pm

Yes; it was their first time getting to the World Series as the Atlanta Braves. (Previously they got there in 1958 as the Milwaukee Braves.) And they faced the Minnesota Twins. Both teams finished in last place in their respective divisions a year earlier, so both were looking to go from "chumps to champs". The teams battled it out to an epic Game Seven at the Twins' then-home stadium (The Metrodome); both teams had opportunities to score during regulation...but in the bottom of the 10th, the Twinkies broke through with an RBI single. (The Twins haven't been back to the World Series since.) Moreover, that was a World Series in which the home team won every game.
As for the Tomohawk Chant, I sorta became aware of it a year later as the Braves returned to the World Series but lost to the Bluejays.

Check for new replies or respond here...