» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Washing your hair may make you stupid...

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/14/04 at 7:14 am

Researchers at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill have uncovered evidence that suggests an ingredient found in some soaps and shampoos might affect memory.

The research in animals centers around diethanolamine (DEA), a chemical used in shampoos, lotions, creams and other cosmetics. DEA is used widely because it provides a rich lather in shampoos and keeps a favorable consistency in lotions and creams, but there's also some research that shows it may rob the brain of its ability to make memory cells.

"Depending on the treatment, some mice are stupid, some are not," said researcher Dr. Steven Zeisel.

Zeisel has uncovered evidence in mice that suggests DEA and a similar ingredient, triethanolamine (TEA), seep through the skin and block the brain's ability to absorb choline -- a nutrient that plays a crucial role in the memory cell-making process in the developing brain.

"And what we found, for example, is that low choline causes half as many cells to be divided as when you give extra choline. So, that's a huge change," Zeisel said.

Earlier research by Zeisel showed that mice that were deprived of choline in the womb weren't as sharp as the animals whose mothers were fed a choline rich diet.

Now, they want to see if the choline blocking effect found in DEA and TEA will have the same memory robbing impact.

"Our hypothesis is that they will, and we'll be able to show that doses of this compound administered frequently will cause abnormal brain development in the baby and they'll perform as if their mothers were eating too little choline in the diet," Zeisel said.

Zeisel says if the DEA hypothesis holds true, the memory impact would probably be minimal in adults, but it could have a bigger effect on the developing brain during pregnancy and the first few years of life.

"I would never have thought that washing my hair could harm my baby and again, our research might not show that, but that's the reason we're putting the effort in putting together a team and getting funding from NIH to try to find out for sure for people," Zeisel said.

The UNC research is using the same amounts of DEA as most of us would get if we shampooed our hair a couple of times a week.

Zeisel and his team of researchers are also testing to see if adding extra choline to the diet can make up for the brain cell deficiency caused by DEA. Choline is a nutrient that is found in many of the foods we eat, and high doses are found in eggs and peanuts.

For more information on products that contain DEA and TEA, log onto the National Institute of Health's household product database at http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/index.htm.
Copyright 2004 by NBC17.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

-This is not my work, but they do say that a hobo may been as bright-eyed and bushy-tailed as an 18 year-old who shampoos often!

Subject: Re: Washing your hair may make you stupid...

Written By: Paul on 05/14/04 at 7:36 am

That's alright...I haven't got much left to wash...!!

Written By: karen on 05/14/04 at 9:43 am

That's alright...I haven't got much left to wash...!!

Well they say grass doesn't grow on a busy street  ;)

Written By: SuperFreak on 05/14/04 at 10:06 am

I don't think that's true at all. I also don't eat meat because i'm a vetrrinarian ::)

Written By: Jessica on 05/14/04 at 11:25 am

That definitely explains a lot.

Written By: Howard on 05/14/04 at 4:56 pm

Did they say some certain shampoos cause stupidity? ;D

Howard

Written By: hoogbest on 06/03/04 at 8:20 am

Ah.........then why do we have all of those unwashed people living under bridges? One would think they would be some of our brightest and most successful citizens. :o

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/03/04 at 10:32 am

If that's true, then I must be the smartest man in the world. ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/03/04 at 11:10 am

Juliette Lewis must be a friggin' genius then !  ;D

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 06/03/04 at 2:03 pm

That definitely explains a lot.

Two words, Jessica Simpson ;D

Written By: Lanie on 06/03/04 at 3:52 pm

Two words, Jessica Simpson ;D

;D....that's funny!!!

Written By: Howard on 06/03/04 at 5:36 pm

stupid is just hereditary,That's all! ;D

Howard

Subject: Washing your hair may make you stupid...

Written By: Dude111 on 10/30/07 at 10:22 am

This is quite disturbing!!!

Anyone know what soaps are bad to use??

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/04/07 at 6:17 am

Ludwig von Beethoven was a compulsive washer, especially his hair, and in his day the ingredients for shampoo would have been natural, and in my consideration he was far from stupid, he had a clever mind.

Written By: Fairee07 on 11/15/07 at 2:33 am

I've got a major presentation due on Monday and I guess I shouldn't bathe to try to boost my thinking skills that way everyone will love my creative work...and my stench!  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/15/07 at 2:35 am

I've got a major presentation due on Monday and I guess I shouldn't bathe to try to boost my thinking skills that way everyone will love my creative work...and my stench!   ;D
I find bathing helps creative thought, but the only problem is taking a pen and notepad into the bath with you.

Check for new replies or respond here...