» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Boy, age 11, drives over 200 miles around state.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/08/04 at 7:25 pm

I just found this interesting:

INDEPENDENCE, Mo. (AP) - An 11-year-old boy who told authorities he was upset about being bullied at school took off in the family car on an odyssey that ended more than 200 miles away on the other side of the state.

Wearing shorts and a T-shirt, the boy left his suburban Kansas City home early Tuesday morning, making his way onto Interstate 35 and driving 92 miles to Bethany, a northwest Missouri community in an area where he used to hunt with his father.

He stopped there at a convenience store for some chips and a soft drink, then drove off aimlessly, following several other highways before ending up 135 miles away in Callao in northeast Missouri's Macon County.

Sgt. Michael Johnston of the Macon County Sheriff's Department said he got a call about 10:30 a.m. from the Callao postmaster, who reported that a boy was locked out of his car and wanted to talk.

After locking himself out of the car when he stopped to use a restroom in Callao, he went to the post office and asked for help.

Johnston said the boy told him his only driving experience was operating a tractor a few times and backing the car out of the driveway.

The relieved parents, who had filed a missing person report in Independence noting that their car and keys were also gone, picked their son up at mid-afternoon Tuesday. He was back in school the next day.

Officials said they had not seen any indications of bullying at the boy's school.

"But we're taking the concern very seriously," Associate Superintendent Patty Schumacher said. "We don't want a student to ever feel pushed into a corner or want to just take off."

Subject: Re: Boy, age 11, drives over 200 miles around state.

Written By: Fred on 10/08/04 at 9:12 pm

Wow, I guess some people are ready to drive at an early age like I was, too.  ;D It's a good thing he didn't get into an accident or anything.

Written By: blackdog on 10/09/04 at 2:42 am

What an adventurous kid!   I admire his chutz-pah.... but yeah, good thing he could handle himself and driving on highway's without getting in an accident.  Hope he waits till 16 before driving again.  I'm a little surprised he could reach the pedals??

Good thing he wasn't driving in LA or New York - he might've really been in trouble then.  lol!  ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 10/09/04 at 6:42 am

If he could do that at eleven, without being pulled over or getting in an accident I
would say that he may be the next Dale Earnhardt.

Written By: Dude111 on 10/18/07 at 9:43 pm

w0w that is amazing!!

HE is VERY LUCKY the cop was nice,they could have been mean about the whole thing...

Check for new replies or respond here...