» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Skating grandad is internet star

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/18/07 at 4:28 am

A 70-year-old grandad who skates around a Lancashire town at midnight has become an internet celebrity.

An appreciation society for Jeff Dornan, from Ormskirk, set up on the Facebook website, has attracted more than 1,000 members.

The site contains video footage and pictures of him rollerskating outside local landmarks in the town.

Mr Dornan says he puts on his in-line skates at night as there are too many old people around in the day.

The Rollerblade Grandad Ormskirk Appreciation Society website page was created by Facebook member Elizabeth Thompson four months ago.

Mr Dornan said: "If you're going to speed skate you don't do it on a Thursday afternoon. There's so many old people getting in the way."

He believes that others should be encouraged to skate to improve their health and the local environment.

He added: "I have a health-conscious daughter and when I turned 64 she started nagging me about doing exercise. I signed up to the gym but only went once.

"My daughter was telling me to do power walking. I just found it so boring I knew I wasn't going to keep it up.

"I just remember when I was 17, I used to ice skate as I loved it. In six years of skating I have not had a single significant collision with anybody."

Subject:

Written By: Dude111 on 12/22/10 at 6:21 am

I give him alot of credit!!!!!! (And i hope he is still at it)

I cant skate well at all! (Ice or roller (Although i can rollerskate better than ice skate))

Check for new replies or respond here...