» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Regulations flatten pancake race

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/05/08 at 2:37 pm

A traditional pancake race has fallen flat after it was cancelled due to health and safety regulations.

Every year, children and choristers take part in the Shrove Tuesday race in Ripon, North Yorkshire.

The event was revived 10 years ago and is usually started by the ringing of Ripon Cathedral's ancient Pancake Bell.

But this year's event has been shelved, with organisers blaming the mountain of risk assessments that must be carried out before children can take part.

Bernard Bateman, one of the organisers, said they were told they would have to pay £250 to Harrogate Borough Council to close Kirkgate Road, where the race takes place.

They would also have to hold insurance risk assessments and pay to have medical staff on hand in case of any injuries or accidents.

Mr Bateman, who is also a councillor for Ripon North, said it was difficult to find volunteers to carry out the procedures.

He said: "The main problem is the health and safety aspects and issues such as that.

"There is bureaucracy that goes into holding any event these days, the policing, the risk assessments, and it has a cost factor and takes a lot of time.

"I'm always disappointed when we've held something for some years now and it can't take place."

Subject: Re: Regulations flatten pancake race

Written By: danootaandme on 02/07/08 at 5:48 am

Blame it on over zealous, over protective parents who sue a the drop of a hat when their child gets a bump or bruise, or suffers from a lack of self esteem if they lose.

Written By: Bobby on 02/21/08 at 12:04 pm

It is this attitude that makes the UK very boring to live in.

Written By: Paul on 02/21/08 at 4:56 pm

It is this attitude that makes the UK very boring to live in.

Tell me about it...

I have to wear a hard hat and luminous flak-jacket in order to post here!  :o

Written By: Bobby on 02/21/08 at 5:00 pm

Tell me about it...

I have to wear a hard hat and luminous flak-jacket in order to post here!  :o

Ha ha. I needed a letter from my mum.

Check for new replies or respond here...