» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Illuisons and Spacial Reality

Written By: gumbypiz on 02/26/08 at 1:29 am

This is a really cool and amazing site giving examples of visual illusions and spacial oddities as it effects our visual representations...

Illusion or Reality: an Explanation That We Live in a Brain-Constructed World

If you like illusions and always wanted a more detailed explanation of what is happening when you see them, this is the site.

Click on the "Instructions" part of the page, or arrow down/page down when the instructions show on the right to advance the parts of the illusions, the explanation of what is happening is at the bottom.

Really cool site, goes on for some time.

If you are using Firefox, allow the site to open "popups".

Rest your eyes before you watch this (if you're an epileptic, opt out of the whole thing).

Very cool.  8)

Subject: Re: Illuisons and Spacial Reality

Written By: Red Ant on 02/26/08 at 7:57 pm

Interesting site. Some of those didn't fool me, but the 'Sliding Grey Bars' did and the 'chessboard' had me sitting there for about fiive minutes going "no way!". The last two tests, I didn't get them - what are you supposed to see in your hand? (and the last pic didn't rotate for me).

Ant

Written By: gumbypiz on 02/26/08 at 10:44 pm

Interesting site. Some of those didn't fool me, but the 'Sliding Grey Bars' did and the 'chessboard' had me sitting there for about fiive minutes going "no way!". The last two tests, I didn't get them - what are you supposed to see in your hand? (and the last pic didn't rotate for me).

Ant

I think the effect was that you'd see a rippling effect when you refocused to point (like your hand) after the test, but it works if you focus on any point (or its supposed to anyway).  :-\\

The rotating pic, no, it doesn't, at first (I have only 20/70 in one eye, so I thought that may be an issue, its not). Try again, it does eventually.

Actually the entire website has a different effect if you go through it twice...something about your mind wanting to look for odd things or illusions once you've become used to it...

Written By: Red Ant on 02/28/08 at 8:17 pm

I think the effect was that you'd see a rippling effect when you refocused to point (like your hand) after the test, but it works if you focus on any point (or its supposed to anyway).  :-\\

The rotating pic, no, it doesn't, at first (I have only 20/70 in one eye, so I thought that may be an issue, its not). Try again, it does eventually.

Actually the entire website has a different effect if you go through it twice...something about your mind wanting to look for odd things or illusions once you've become used to it...

I did get the "rotating pic" the second time through. I've never been able to see those 'hidden' messages in 'geometric pictures', and the 'refocusing exercise' still didn't work - maybe I can't focus long enough to get it (score one for Team ADD!  :D).

Ant

Check for new replies or respond here...